PDA

View Full Version : Just a question out of curiosity

Toukichiro
May 12th, 2010, 06:50
Why has wfto never used a game engine already made? U have the source engine, the unreal engine, and now the sc2 engine all which could be easily manage and do this project with ease... I don't really understand the need of making your own engine. I would recommend you guys look into the sc2 engine because it supports multi level design, fps, and flooding... Anywho just was wondering why u never used other engines.

Hapuga
May 12th, 2010, 08:14
is seems we just love difficulties.

nebster
May 12th, 2010, 11:17
IKSLM was the original creator for the engine. He did it just for fun. It has evolved and just has been used since. His engine has been around for years :P

dotted
May 12th, 2010, 11:44
Why has wfto never used a game engine already made? U have the source engine, the unreal engine, and now the sc2 engine all which could be easily manage and do this project with ease... I don't really understand the need of making your own engine. I would recommend you guys look into the sc2 engine because it supports multi level design, fps, and flooding... Anywho just was wondering why u never used other engines.

Source and Unreal are both FPS engines, and SC2 is still beta. Plus there is an issue with licensing really preventing us from use any of the 3 engines.

Walkerz
May 12th, 2010, 11:59
Non-profitable fan made game = no license issues?

A New Room
May 12th, 2010, 12:34
Non-profitable fan made game = no license issues? Non-profitable fan made game actually = Huge licensing issues.

Source and Unreal are both FPS engines, and SC2 is still beta. Plus there is an issue with licensing really preventing us from use any of the 3 engines.
Unreal is best known for being a First Person Shooter engine but it can also be used for third person shooters... (It's even used in parts of the production of LazyTown (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lazy_town)!) As well as quite a few other things if you know how. Only problem is that if you don't know how, then you need some people who do, and then we have come a nice full circle to where we are now.

nebster
May 12th, 2010, 12:46
Where can I get the sc2 engine?
I've looked (assuming you mean starcraft) and I can't see it anywhere :/

Hapuga
May 12th, 2010, 13:18
UT engine can be bought for 250$ I guess.

dotted
May 12th, 2010, 14:37
Non-profitable fan made game = no license issues?

This is a Free* and open source game, non of the engines are compatible with this license. And on the other side, since all of the games are commercial in nature that alone can be problematic, UDK could potentially be a solution licensing wise, but again Unreal is an FPS engine not an RTS engine, it would likely require alot of work to make it work properly.

And at the end of the day starting over is not what this project needs.

*Free as en freedom not beer.

Hapuga
May 12th, 2010, 15:16
and what is freedom? ;)

that's a rhetorical question.

dotted
May 12th, 2010, 15:19
and what is freedom? ;)
the greatest thing ever since sliced bread :p

Agzarah
May 12th, 2010, 16:53
UE3 engine isnt really an FPS engine... just its main uses are.
plenty of 3rd person, racing and even rts games have been made using it.

even DC universe Online is UE3

for the previous version of the engine, there were many rts total conversion of UT99/04. i beleive there was also a total conversion of the doom3 engine into a DK game once, but EA forcefully shut that down

the main point still lies true - you need somone who can work with the engine

dotted
May 12th, 2010, 16:54
the main point still lies true - you need somone who can work with the engine

That and the licensing issue.

Agzarah
May 12th, 2010, 17:00
While the Unreal Engine 3 has been quite open for modders to tinker around with, the ability to publish and sell games made using UE3 was restricted to licensees of the engine. However, on November 2009, Epic released a free version of their engine, called the Unreal Developer Kit(UDK) that is available to the general public. According to the current EULA, game makers can sell their games by paying Epic a lump-sum of $99 at the outset, and 25% of all revenue above $5000.

kinda makes the license issue defunked

dotted
May 12th, 2010, 17:07
kinda makes the license issue defunked

Uhm no

Agzarah
May 12th, 2010, 17:11
surely a free version of the engine, with a fairly minimal fee should it ever be sold, does void the license issues>?

unless you were referring to the DK licening issues not the engine

dotted
May 12th, 2010, 17:25
surely a free version of the engine, with a fairly minimal fee should it ever be sold, does void the license issues>?

unless you were referring to the DK licening issues not the engine

The "cost" of the engine is not relevant, the license is.

Hapuga
May 12th, 2010, 19:07
what license are you talking about?

dotted
May 12th, 2010, 19:31
what license are you talking about?

EULA of UDK

Hapuga
May 12th, 2010, 19:42
and how does the EULA of UT engine prohibit us to work on DK?

dotted
May 12th, 2010, 20:19
and how does the EULA of UT engine prohibit us to work on DK?

I didn't say prohibit, i said there were issues.

kyle
May 12th, 2010, 20:20
What issues exactly?

Hapuga
May 12th, 2010, 21:10
and what are the issues?

dotted
May 12th, 2010, 21:26
That the UDK EULA isn't GPL compatible, really thought that was obvious -.-

Hapuga
May 12th, 2010, 22:24
It wasnt obvious for me.

dotted
May 12th, 2010, 22:42
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/GPL/2.0/

Hapuga
May 12th, 2010, 23:02
Very well, and where is the issue you were talking about? We have to put GNU license along with EULA and that should be it.

dotted
May 12th, 2010, 23:20
Very well, and where is the issue you were talking about? We have to put GNU license along with EULA and that should be it.

Q: Can I release a UDK game as open source?

A: The rights to develop and release a game for free are contained in the end-user license agreement (EULA). The EULA is also the license that governs the release of your game as it's built on UDK. You can't release your UDK project under terms other than the UDK EULA (like GPL, LGPL, open source, etc.). You don't have the right to encumber the UDK with terms that we have not already granted to you.
So apparently it does prohibit us.

Agzarah
May 13th, 2010, 09:10
does it have to be an open source project?
its not like any old person can come along and being coding or chaning it?

MaxHayman
May 13th, 2010, 23:31
Its more likely to attract programmers if its OS

dotted
May 13th, 2010, 23:48
does it have to be an open source project?
its not like any old person can come along and being coding or chaning it?

Unless you have a team of dedicated programmers, you really want to go open source. Open source provides a sense of security that no one will be able to just "steal" the code away from them, you will always be able to fork the it and create a seperate project, which is why open source is so damn succesful.

And in any case even if there weren't license issue, would you really want to start over?