PDA

View Full Version : Embarassing honesty? Yup.

Lasharus
May 16th, 2010, 00:14
Okay, I'll be honest - I've recently downloaded KeeperFX, and it works brilliantly. However, I've managed to get stuck in an admirable fashion on the very first level of the Quest for the Hero campaign.

I start out with three trolls, which are, for some reason, walking about in my ally's dungeon, and said dungeon gets DEMOLISHED by an incredibly superior force.

No problem so far. Pick up trolls, dump in own dungeon, annnnnnnnd fortify.

The problem stems from the fact that you get tunneler attacks almost immediately. If I let them dig into my dungeon, I can kill them, but then that massive force that demolished my blue ally has access to my dungeon and annihilates me. If I build up my dungeon as quickly as possible and wall everything up, I get stuck with a very meager force, whilst those damnable tunnelers dig open most areas on the map, making it even more impossible to dig out of the dungeon.

My issue is - I truly have NO idea what to do now. Is there a script that's buggering up for me or something or is it me missing an obvious solution?

Help would be appreciated, as the campaign itself does look very interesting :P

Duke Ragereaver
May 16th, 2010, 08:33
There is nothing to be embarassed for. Quest for the Hero is supposed to work on a totaly modified Creature TXT than the standard one.

There is little advice I can give you on the level other than playing VERY carefully. Here (http://forum.keeperklan.com/quest-for-hero-t707.html) is a thread with the same problem.

Lasharus
May 17th, 2010, 14:50
Thanks for the reply, I hadn't spotted that thread when I was looking around for it. It basically sounds to me that "unless you can get your old dungeon keeper working, you won't play this campaign" though :(

Metal Gear Rex
May 17th, 2010, 14:57
Thanks for the reply, I hadn't spotted that thread when I was looking around for it. It basically sounds to me that "unless you can get your old dungeon keeper working, you won't play this campaign" though :(

Luckily for me, my original DK works.

It is until Mefisto impliments a feature where you define the creature data and such.

Lasharus
May 17th, 2010, 15:05
Good enough for me. Given the functionality of the rest of KeeperFX (bar some minor bugs), I'm pretty bloody happy about it. I can wait. :)

mefistotelis
May 18th, 2010, 17:02
In next KeeperFX, it will be possible to override creature config files for specific campaigns.

Zhampir
May 18th, 2010, 23:42
To fix it, I just added some creatures to spawn.

Skaruts
May 23rd, 2010, 05:27
Would this be the same problem with the Ancient Keeper Campaign?

Man the 1st level in this campaign is tottaly impossible this way... only imps and one lvl 8 Warlock to fight against... I dunno, 30 or 50 archers...

Mothrayas
May 23rd, 2010, 08:44
Nope, iirc Ancient Keeper is just flat-out hard.

There's some trick to beat the stage, and good luck figuring out what it is.

Krizzie
May 23rd, 2010, 09:04

Man the 1st level in this campaign is tottaly impossible this way... only imps and one lvl 8 Warlock to fight against... I dunno, 30 or 50 archers...

Good luck with the rest of the levels then. :D

Metal Gear Rex
May 23rd, 2010, 10:43

Well AK is supposed to be with the original settings, and FX uses modified settings. It may not be harder, but you may notice some off things.

Skaruts
May 23rd, 2010, 12:55
Good luck with the rest of the levels then. :D
lool
I was rly like "whoah! Wat da fahhhh! I'm not super-man!!"
:D

Well AK is supposed to be with the original settings, and FX uses modified settings. It may not be harder, but you may notice some off things.

I see. :missile: Thanks for the tip. But since I never messed with mods and addons and anything else in this game, can you tell me how I either play this in the original keeper or modify KeeperFX settings for it?

I noticed there's a cfg file for each campaign, shouldn't it bring the propper settings there? Or it doesn't work yet?

Zhampir
May 24th, 2010, 01:16
To get the original setting there are quite a few files you'd have to modify. First off, all the creatures are modified. You'd have to find the file containing research, slabs, and the rest. Also, I believe the files are all opened in C++. Then you'd have to painstakingly rewrite all the old code into the new categorized files, but, yeah, it is possible. I'm not home other wise I'd be able to tell you which files, but good luck.^^

Skaruts
May 24th, 2010, 02:00
hmmm that's too much for me. Not very good at programming for now.

How do I play it with the original game then?

Metal Gear Rex
May 24th, 2010, 03:04
To get the original setting there are quite a few files you'd have to modify. First off, all the creatures are modified. You'd have to find the file containing research, slabs, and the rest. Also, I believe the files are all opened in C++. Then you'd have to painstakingly rewrite all the old code into the new categorized files, but, yeah, it is possible. I'm not home other wise I'd be able to tell you which files, but good luck.^^

*Facepalm*

All you need to do is re-write the creature data. Perhaps some of the game data too (Inside FXdata like creature spells and whatever)

FX's new data comes from DL's patch, so all you need to do is read the readme and you'll be fine. Well except for the dexterity fix, you'll need to look at the old creature data for that.

If you were going to undo Mefisto's work, then why are you playing FX? Go to the normal DK1.

Mothrayas
May 24th, 2010, 09:21
If you were going to undo Mefisto's work, then why are you playing FX? Go to the normal DK1.

Because normal DK1 doesn't work on everyone's PC nowadays?

Metal Gear Rex
May 24th, 2010, 09:32

You really do dodge the point of things don't you?

Krizzie
May 24th, 2010, 09:39

Get VirtualPC install windows 98 on it and you can play the game fine. That's the easiest way to play the game on newer pc's without modifying everything.

Normal DK/DD and KFX al work stable as a house then, only when using the frameskip option the game might crash back to the desktop, but with regular saving intervals that isn't a big problem either.

Searingflame2
May 24th, 2010, 14:38

He who uses guard post 'cheat' shall be enlightened.

Even then, its entirely about getting lucky enough to get an imp to claim the portal, as the Archers respawn via portals if your warlock kills 'em. Honest to god, you'll probably get close to attacking your computer with your keyboard waiting for the archers to give you the space to get the damned portal, but in the end, you'll be rewarded.

With training and doing nothing else for 30mins :-/

Epic boring map IMHO. TBH I didn't like most of Ancient Keeper because there was too much waiting. Anywho... off topic :P

Lasharus
May 24th, 2010, 16:23
Heh, admittedly I canĀ“t get past Ancient Keeper either, so at least I don't feel alone now :P

Oh, I rather suspect that it has to do with the fact that you start out with Disease and a warlock with Cyclone, but even then, and even if I dig all the way around to make them path longer, they still reach my dungeon heart, though fully diseased, with plenty of time to completely annihilate me :P

EDIT: Just spotted the post above me.

I feel stupid now.

Krizzie
May 24th, 2010, 16:41
With KeeperFX the Warlock gets rebound so you can stand on the Guardpost and let the Archers kill themselves. ;)

Skaruts
May 24th, 2010, 21:07
Exactly. They always reach the heart very alive and kicking. They always head for the heart as soon as they are attacked (or desiesed).

I made a huge labirinth for them to wander around and around but... no avail. I possessed an imp and went for the portal after they came in, but only got two level 1 mistresses before they started attacking my heart... Then I got maybe 3 more mistresses but... still no point in fighting.

The only chance would be to delay them enough to train the mistresses and hopefully kill one or two with desiese... but I don't see how that's possible...

DragonsLover
May 25th, 2010, 01:06
Beware with Ancient Keeper : you must use the ORIGINAL Dungeon Keeper creatures configuration for the campaign. Otherwise, some levels won't work the same way intended by the authors.

If you're playing Ancient Keeper with the new changes, you don't play the campaign correctly.

Skaruts
May 25th, 2010, 03:19
Beware with Ancient Keeper : you must use the ORIGINAL Dungeon Keeper creatures configuration for the campaign. Otherwise, some levels won't work the same way intended by the authors.

If you're playing Ancient Keeper with the new changes, you don't play the campaign correctly.

But how do I play it in the original DK? Just copy the campaign folder into the game folder?

Metal Gear Rex
May 25th, 2010, 23:29
But how do I play it in the original DK? Just copy the campaign folder into the game folder?

Well more like copying the levels over. If you really want to play it in FX though, I could finish work on some modifications I've been doing for FX which hold the original creature data.

It is using DL's patch so I can easily reverse everything as the changes are mentioned in the readme (Except the dexterity, that it a little more time consuming as I have to check the original DK1 files for it, and that file is really unorganized)

Skaruts
May 25th, 2010, 23:36
hmm, I tried replacing it and it worked.

But I just found what ppl meant by using the guard post and completed the 1st level with the original DK, but I didn't notice much diference, apart from not having rebound in the Warlock.

Are the diferences that big to be noticed?

Metal Gear Rex
May 25th, 2010, 23:41
hmm, I tried replacing it and it worked.

But I just found what ppl meant by using the guard post and completed the 1st level with the original DK, but I didn't notice much diference, apart from not having rebound in the Warlock.

Are the diferences that big to be noticed?

The Vampire has hail, which means he is even more overpowered as that attack is multi-hits so he gains experiance much faster. When he dies and resurrects, his hail quickly levels him up again.

The Spider gets freeze at level 3 and hail at level 5, this makes things easier to obtain his full strategy use.

There are quite a few more but you get the idea.