PDA

View Full Version : The "Mentor"

Metal Gear Rex
May 21st, 2010, 23:57
For the poll, it is a question if there are two of them for every Keeper (Or just the Player) which would be the one who tells you what's going on around the dungeon, and the one who tells you about all the happy in the land and all the horror after you visited it. Answers are pretty much who you believe the "Mentor" is and is to be referred as. However please read the below info as well.

Something I've been very curious about, but when was he first called the mentor? Was it in an instruction manuel or something? I don't remember him being referred to a Mentor, or anything for that matter.

All we do know is that this "Mentor" informs the Keeper of actions inside the dungeon, so wouldn't he be an informer?

In DK1, there seem to be two of them. There's the informer and one who actually says something other than "YOUR DUNGEON HEART IS UNDER ATTACK!"

Lone Fly :fly:: "Take that you stupid Dungeon Heart!"

In DK2, the "Informant" and this other one during the mission debriefing and results seem to be the same person. I wouldn't go more so with DK2's version, since DK1 is the original.

Not to mention, the one durring the debriefing and results does refer to the Player as "Master" in DK1 (Not sure about DK2, I don't play it nor care :P) but how can that be? If someone is your Mentor, they'd be your "Master", not the other way around.

Does this mean the so called "Mentor" is really just a servant of the Player, a high and powerful servant? This would explain why there can be one for every Keeper, doesn't it?

But here's the real questions-

1. Are they two people, one being an Informant and not a "Mentor"?

2. When was he first called the "Mentor"?

3. Isn't the "Mentor" more like a Servant since he referrs to the Player as his Master, not the other way around?

The reason why I turned this into a Poll is simply to be another way to get answers but I still would like to here explanations. Your response?

EDIT:
Damn it, I should have added a "Not Sure" response to the Poll. >_>

MeinCookie
May 22nd, 2010, 00:14
Dk2 Mentor definitely has the feel of a mentor. You can get that from just listening to the briefings and debriefings. You got the feel that there was some kind of powerful partnership between Mentor and Keeper.

That is one of the reasons I always thought Horny was the DK2 Mentor. That and the fact he has the necessary power and evil credentials.

For DK1 I would say that "Informant" doesn't really fit there. High Servant kind of makes sense.

dotted
May 22nd, 2010, 00:15
I don't get the poll options :/

Metal Gear Rex
May 22nd, 2010, 00:34
I don't get the poll options :/

Answers are pretty much who you believe the "Mentor" is and is to be referred as.

:/

Dk2 Mentor definitely has the feel of a mentor. You can get that from just listening to the briefings and debriefings. You got the feel that there was some kind of powerful partnership between Mentor and Keeper.

That is one of the reasons I always thought Horny was the DK2 Mentor. That and the fact he has the necessary power and evil credentials.

For DK1 I would say that "Informant" doesn't really fit there. High Servant kind of makes sense.

Well I do actually want to focus on DK1, since it is the original. Perhaps it was DK2's intentions but was it DK1's? Even so, does the DK2 version refer to Keeper as "Master" at any time?

Maybe the original one he could be Horny since he had a hellish voice. :P

Well in DK1 it sounds like there are two by the voices. But yes, High Servant does make alot more sense.

Actually, something that bothers me in the logic of it. If the "Mentor" is really your master (As he is the "Mentor") then doesn't that mean he has the abilities to be a Keeper himself? And if he has such an interest for power or something, why doesn't he fight himself if he has power to be an even greater keeper?

It really does question the relationship between the Mentor and the Keeper.

dotted
May 22nd, 2010, 00:39
The mentor is part of the Keeper, sort of a subcreature within the Keeper. Yeah thats what he is :p - and the poll options still don't make any sense to me.

MeinCookie
May 22nd, 2010, 00:42
Mentor could be master, but might also be a equal standing teacher or lesser aide. DK2 really did create a sense of equal partnership between powerful beings.

Maybe the original one he could be Horny since he had a hellish voice. :P

If you think about it, Dk2 horny was a lot more human. He was bestial, but I think he had savage intelligence. He sought an alliance with you in order to, defeat the Keepers and obtain the portal gems, to me that speaks of a formidable mind.

Actually, something that bothers me in the logic of it. If the "Mentor" is really your master (As he is the "Mentor") then doesn't that mean he has the abilities to be a Keeper himself? And if he has such an interest for power or something, why doesn't he fight himself if he has power to be an even greater keeper?

Maybe because they/he can't?

Metal Gear Rex
May 22nd, 2010, 00:46
Mentor could be master, but might also be a equal standing teacher or lesser aide. DK2 really did create a sense of equal partnership between powerful beings.

If you think about it, Dk2 horny was a lot more human. He was bestial, but I think he had savage intelligence. He sought an alliance with you in order to, defeat the Keepers and obtain the portal gems, to me that speaks of a formidable mind.

Maybe because they/he can't?

/she? You never know...

Yes well now we have to define what the hell a Keeper is now. From what I gather, it is an evil spirit taking semi-physical form in order to bring order but also to retain magical powerz.

DK2 Mentor is human? Well DK2 is human, Goblins, Rouges, BOO! HUMANS!!! D:<

MeinCookie
May 22nd, 2010, 00:52
I'm personally still a fan of DK 2 Mentor is DK 2 Horny.

It makes more sense for them to be the same then for the Keeper to form 2 separate allies to help him in his quest for dominion.

My opinion only :horny:

Zhampir
May 22nd, 2010, 03:20
Remember the first missions in DK2. The Mentor says something like "and with the death of the lord, the horned reaper will claim the gem, ah here he is now"
it's the first mission..

Somebody can be a Mentor and not the master. Think of a king and his advisor. That's how I view the "Mentor" as an advisor, and friend (if his/her only) to the keeper.

Heineken
May 22nd, 2010, 13:42
I don't think Horny is the mentor in DKII.

Remember the first missions in DK2. The Mentor says something like "and with the death of the lord, the horned reaper will claim the gem, ah here he is now"

Why would he announce himself like that? It's the same later on in the game when you obtain the first piece of the Horny talisman and the mentor tells you that you're able to summon Horny now. If it was Horny he would just say "you can now sommun me to fight" or something

Maybe the mentor could be a keeper but just can't be bothered to do all the work. Or he does not want to end up killed by a bunch knights in shiny armor.

EDIT: wow I can't write right now

MeinCookie
May 23rd, 2010, 02:14
I'm not saying it is that way, merely that I liked it that way :(.

Zhampir
May 23rd, 2010, 03:42
A pleasant thought Cookie. ^^
I apologize if I came off harsh.
Have a present : :mistress:
She seems to be highly valued on this forum. XD

Skaruts
May 28th, 2010, 00:48
The mentor is simply an advisor. The right hand of the keeper. Or maybe the left one since the right one is used to slap. :D

A friend of mine noticed the similarity on this guy's voice. (Helmut Bakaitis)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H85hdn9a6KM
(skip to 0:50)

The similarity is funny.

DragonsLover
May 28th, 2010, 05:32
First, could you clarify the difference between "The Mentor", "The Informant" and "High Servant" because I really don't catch at all. Make it SIMPLE please.

For what I can say, the Mentor is an Assistant. Here, I see the Mentor as being our right-hand man, standing next to us, that informs us about what's going on in the dungeon on things that we may not notice. I would consider it, as an Informant. It would be his way to serve us.

For the one that introduces and concludes each realm, he's not really a Mentor. He's the guy that is standing in the high tower, telling the Keeper the name and description of each place. He's not helping in any way. It simply tells what's going on before and after each realm.

As for if it is only for the Player or every Keeper, I must say that each Keeper has his own Mentor, not only the Player. In fact, a Keeper couldn't rule without a Mentor, unless he's aware of absolutely EVERYTHING. Say, you can try it too : disables the mentor speeches, now you'd play as a REAL Keeper. :D

Metal Gear Rex
May 29th, 2010, 01:31
First, could you clarify the difference between "The Mentor", "The Informant" and "High Servant" because I really don't catch at all. Make it SIMPLE please.

For what I can say, the Mentor is an Assistant. Here, I see the Mentor as being our right-hand man, standing next to us, that informs us about what's going on in the dungeon on things that we may not notice. I would consider it, as an Informant. It would be his way to serve us.

For the one that introduces and concludes each realm, he's not really a Mentor. He's the guy that is standing in the high tower, telling the Keeper the name and description of each place. He's not helping in any way. It simply tells what's going on before and after each realm.

As for if it is only for the Player or every Keeper, I must say that each Keeper has his own Mentor, not only the Player. In fact, a Keeper couldn't rule without a Mentor, unless he's aware of absolutely EVERYTHING. Say, you can try it too : disables the mentor speeches, now you'd play as a REAL Keeper. :D

No no no, you don't get it either.

How is he called the Mentor if you are his master? Or if he is just an informant?

To be honest, the "Informant" part of it could just be part of the gameplay. A Dungeon Keeper should "feel" what goes on inside his/her dungeon. Therefore, you couldn't really be a "real" keeper without them. One can also believe it is the Keeper's conscience.

The one who tells you about each land is probably just your most powerful servant or something.

A New Room
August 13th, 2010, 20:39
The way I think of it is that the Mentor was once the teacher of the Keeper, however the Keeper bound the mentor to itself, forcing him to become its eternal servant/adviser.

MeinCookie
August 14th, 2010, 01:43
Maybe even the mentor is part of the Keeper?

Madkill
September 17th, 2010, 19:07
Black & White 2 you have the Devil and the Angel as your morality informants and so on, the rest do not have these.

But if you play DKII in multiplayer, you all have a mentor.

Hard to say. But I'd say its a gift for all Keepers, possibly the conscience.

Evi
September 17th, 2010, 21:35
I keep thinking of TF2's Administrator. She sounds angry when the Blu Team wins when playing as RED but sounds pleased on the BLU side.

EX.
Red Side
-The bomb is almost at the checkpoint! Stop them!-
Blu Side
-The bomb is almost at the checkpoint! Hahahah*!- *Crazy Laughter*

Pizu_Meaku
September 19th, 2010, 10:15
I agree with dotted that the poll options make no sence at all. Still, i agree with the majority that the "Mentor" is a part of a keepers might! :D buwahaha!!!

Mastadi
September 19th, 2010, 14:27
Keepers are powerful beings from other realm/dimension.

Mentors are their guide to the world in which DKI and DKII take place. They've more experience in the human realm, although they're likely much weaker than the keepers.

That's just my opinion ;)

A New Room
October 25th, 2010, 17:58
new thought, maybe the mentor is actually just the manifestation of an extra sense the keeper has.

Metal Gear Rex
October 25th, 2010, 18:29
new thought, maybe the mentor is actually just the manifestation of an extra sense the keeper has.

I suppose. The Mentor probably isn't even there though. I mean, it sounds like a game-only function. I'm pretty sure Dungeon Keepers are aware of everything in their dungeon as they live through it. But Players wouldn't so it is probably just a game thing.

Hapuga
November 5th, 2010, 14:02
I dont understand what the offered answers mean. the poll is ambiguous.

EDIT
ah, figured it out

well, I guess he is sort of special, so I voted for player only. I dont know who he is, so probably an advisor and mentor.

Stefanos
July 1st, 2019, 11:39
I always saw the mentor as like an older keeper who want powerful enough to do conquesting any more or had been defeated and was helping you as a way of getting revenge