PDA

View Full Version : Hard to target creatures...

Skaruts
May 27th, 2010, 03:45
Has anyone noticed how hard it is to target creatures in KeeperFX?
I mean if this has been noticed, and has been (or can now be) added to some "to do list" and is possibly being fixed sometime?

If you don't know what I'm talking about, compare this mod to the original and see for yourselves. Good ways of checking this is by trying to quickly pick up 8 chickens or 8 golds, or trying to give gold to some fast creature like a sped up mistress.

Another thing I noticed is that warlocks are hard to slap/pick when they're behind the bookcases. In the original this may happen too, but in KeeperFX is even more noticeable.

From what I've understood, all of this happens because the hotspot for interacting with creatures is on their feet (thus not ever being able to slap/pick a warlock behind the bookcases), which makes it very hard in many situations.

Metal Gear Rex
May 27th, 2010, 05:00
I know about this already, I already know why.

Look at the creature data for the Archer and tell me what you see. More specifically, tell me his dexterity. It is 24. Yet in the original, it was 100.

DragonsLover's patch is included in FX, and that includes his "Dexterity Fix", which solves a problem in the original Dungeon Keeper in which after the dexterity value leveled beyond 255, it would return to 0 and start over again.

However, in FX no value returns to 0 and so this fix is needless.

Yet there is one flaw, DragonsLover forgot the Defense value. He lowered Dexterity value by 24%, but since the Defence value was never lowered, it appears as if all creatures have poor aiming abilities.

Skaruts
May 27th, 2010, 07:29
But... this patch is what makes the hand cannot pick up things or slap creatures just by being on top of them??

Metal Gear Rex
May 27th, 2010, 13:03
But... this patch is what makes the hand cannot pick up things or slap creatures just by being on top of them??

Oh that also is just a bug in FX. Strange how you get that as I don't nor haven't since... I dunno, some version or somthing?

Krizzie
May 27th, 2010, 13:19
Since the mouse code was changed it happened here, It thought Mefisto said that it had something to do with the resolution you play on. The mouse was made for a specific aspect ratio and another resolution say 640x480 instead of 640x400 wil slightly change the coordinates of the mouse compared to the creature bellow it.

mefistotelis
May 27th, 2010, 17:16
Yes, but I might also made a mistake somewhere in code...

It's hard to test that, but I'll try to check if there's something wrong.

Metal Gear Rex
May 27th, 2010, 19:41

Oh sorry, I was talking about something else. I kinda didn't read too terribly much of your post or something, I dunno...

CRITICAL FAILURE!!!

I was talking about in battle how you cannot hit creatures as easily. Both are problems to fix I suppose. It really makes it harder for melee creatures attacking support creatures.

Skaruts
May 27th, 2010, 21:00
I still have it happening even in 320x200. Now I noticed that after I pick up the 1st creature or chicken or gold, it gets harder to pick more because it pops up a green cube below the hand, and from then on it's the base of that cube that will take effect on highlighting the chosen pickable thing. Which makes me have to have the hand a little higher than the "thing" to be able to pick it up instead of right on top of it.

But now, I remembered some other thing that's also very noticeable:
when playing in resolutions higher than 320x200 AND when playing with low walls, the green square gets offset 1 tile upwards, as if it's still considering walls to be high, I suppose. The land marking is still made where the mouse is.

And lol Rex, that was Epic. :D But maybe worth pointing out.

mefistotelis
May 27th, 2010, 21:39
The low walls bug is fixed and will not appear anymore in v0.27.

DragonsLover
May 28th, 2010, 06:02
Oh sorry, I was talking about something else. I kinda didn't read too terribly much of your post or something, I dunno...

CRITICAL FAILURE!!!

I was talking about in battle how you cannot hit creatures as easily. Both are problems to fix I suppose. It really makes it harder for melee creatures attacking support creatures.

*Sigh* Are you insinuating that my patch sucks? :rolleyes:

I KNOW that I lowered the Dexterity, but this was for the ORIGINAL game. In KeeperFX, I told Mefisto if I had to change the values back to normal, but if I remember well, if I'm not wrong (cause I may be wrong), he told me to keep them the way they are.

Mefisto, if you confirm that the Dexterity problem has been solved and that the values should be those from the original version, then now, simply bring back the Dexterity values to default.

Over.

Metal Gear Rex
May 28th, 2010, 16:59
*Sigh* Are you insinuating that my patch sucks? :rolleyes:

I KNOW that I lowered the Dexterity, but this was for the ORIGINAL game. In KeeperFX, I told Mefisto if I had to change the values back to normal, but if I remember well, if I'm not wrong (cause I may be wrong), he told me to keep them the way they are.

Mefisto, if you confirm that the Dexterity problem has been solved and that the values should be those from the original version, then now, simply bring back the Dexterity values to default.

Over.

In the latest version (I've had to actually re-download it as I'm using my own patch) they're using your dexterity fix.

No, the lowered dexterity is fine but you forgot the defense value. That is how well they dodge, that is why it is different when you change only the dexterity value. That's all that needs to be changed. :)

mefistotelis
May 28th, 2010, 17:44
If it really works, then I think decreasing defence may be better solution than increasing dexterity.

The bug is fixed, but dexterity still will never exceed 255. Making base value larger means the value will stop increasing at some level.
Well it should be increased a bit, but its original values are definitely too large.

Metal Gear Rex
May 28th, 2010, 17:53
If it really works, then I think decreasing defence may be better solution than increasing dexterity.

The bug is fixed, but dexterity still will never exceed 255. Making base value larger means the value will stop increasing at some level.
Well it should be increased a bit, but its original values are definitely too large.

Currently they stand at 24% (Considering the drop of certain support units) but the highest dexterity value in the original is 180, by the Avatar. Next is 160 by Horny, and then 120 by the Thief. The lower the values go, the less difference there will be between certain units and some may lose some advantage. One advantage the Dragon has is the constant hit. But if these values are too low (With Defense also) then that may be an advantage or disadvantage to the Dragon. Therefore, they shouldn't go down too far.

According to DragonsLover, 61 is the highest possible in order to not go above 255 at level 10. How about if we drop all dexterity and defense to 50% instead of 24%? The Thief will have 60, and that will get him to 255. Horny and the Avatar are the only ones not reaching their fullest but they're unusual so I wouldn't trully count them in.

DragonsLover
May 29th, 2010, 00:39
Ah! Okay, now I see. All right then! :D