PDA

View Full Version : Dungeon in Source Engine (experimental)

Skaruts
May 29th, 2010, 16:20
Been working on this for the last 3 days. I'm using DK's default tiles for the textures, which doesn't make it much fancy, but still surprised me that it doesn't look that bad.

The map is still very rough, there's no heart (need to model one), there's no doors (hidden from compile so that I could move freely) and... no chickens... :p

There's still a whole lot of thigs to be done. But so far so good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuHiy5cThAc

kyle
May 29th, 2010, 16:57
That's pretty cool, I wonder if you can take models from DKII and use them for the enemy's.

Skaruts
May 29th, 2010, 17:16
Nah this is for half life 2 deathmatch. So, no enemies besides the other players. A little off theme, but ok. :p

But if I'd ever make something like this for a mod or something I wouldn't mix DK1 style with DK2's models. And also, I hate DK2 models...

EDIT: Thx btw ^^

kyle
May 29th, 2010, 17:59
Yea I dislike DKII's creatures aswell, too colorfull. It was just a thought as DKI's creatures are sprites. Perhaps bluto's models could be used as selectable characters.

Skaruts
May 30th, 2010, 02:10
For the time being the only models I'm thinking of adding are not creatures. Except chickens, but I will never model them myself due to lack of animation skills. I will attempt to model stuff myself, but will probably not be able to get the chickens. If anyone is willing to help with something, feel free to do so.

Mind that this not a serious thing I'm doing. I'm currently exploring it, doing it for the fun of it, and my goal is, at most, to turn it into some sort of ctf map for HL2dm.

I would realy love to work on a mod for HL2, that could envolve play with the Reaper, but that's something I can think about later.

Necror
June 2nd, 2010, 16:17
I made a shooter DK mod to (quake III)
http://forum.keeperklan.com/threads/806-Quake-III-Arena

as for the models
if you publish it under GNU licence you are free to use the ones from wfto

Skaruts
June 2nd, 2010, 17:29
Well, I'm just making a map atm, I dunno if I can work it out to make a ctf-like map in which ppl have to destroy each team's heart.
But being just a map, and if I can make it, do I realy must specify that it's released under GNU licence?

And where can I get their textures and models?

dotted
June 2nd, 2010, 17:37
Well, I'm just making a map atm, I dunno if I can work it out to make a ctf-like map in which ppl have to destroy each team's heart.
But being just a map, and if I can make it, do I realy must specify that it's released under GNU licence?
The models and textures are licensed under the CC-BY-SA (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/) license, it means that you have to give credit to those who made the textures/models and that the textures and models you use retain the same license, even if you change the models/textures in any way.

The GPL license is only for the WFTO source code, not the models or textures. But if you were to use GPL code in your map then yes, your map would be legally required to be GPL aswell - but since that doesn't seem to be the case you don't have to use the GPL for your map.

Skaruts
June 2nd, 2010, 18:01
Ok. I'd strongly prefer to have my own models and textures, but my skills don't allow me everything... I have a few models already made, but their quality is a bit unhappy...

But where can I get the textures and models?

Necror
June 2nd, 2010, 18:16
download it.
then look in the "War for the Overworld\data\resources" folder

Skaruts
June 14th, 2010, 09:42
I almost forgot this, well, textures are pretty much the original ones from DK1, I'm using those already, and models are way too much low poly for a 1st person game. I'll stick to other possibilities.

But thx for the tip anyway.

Necror
June 14th, 2010, 18:40
models are way too much low poly for a 1st person game.
pff the rest of the map ain't high poly eighter and its better then not having a hearth.

Skaruts
June 15th, 2010, 01:47
It doesn't have a heart cuz I didn't complete the model yet. The only model that is near completed is a boulder (http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_-o2Rz3Mpjvg/TAfinzNiU2I/AAAAAAAABLs/ckbngTRIyiA/s1600/dk_new0008.jpg) and some torches.

But the map is as much low-poly or high-poly as any other map in HL2. BSP geometry, much like quake, isn't exactly low or high poly, it's just BPS geometry. Usually it can't be too complicated anyway, and any complicated shapes are in their turn made with models.

One of the things I've been trying to do is use displacements to create walls, ceiling and floor distortion, but it's not easy since the whole map would use it and thus a good optimization will be much harder to achieve. Perhaps this is one thing I'll be forced to live without, and I'll have to find another way to make ceilings look better.

Anyway those models are meant to be seen from a distance, not from close range. That's what I meant. You seem somehow offended by it... (?)

Necror
June 15th, 2010, 15:53
i tought you said you weren't good at modeling in a former post but it the boulder looks nice
but it would look better with the wfto textures
if you want the huge texture cut into smaller pieces I'll upload mine

textures are pretty much the original ones from DK1
they have 4 times higher ress
edit: and have a bump map, quake 3 doesn't support it but source does

Skaruts
June 15th, 2010, 20:09
Nah, they look great. They just have too little detail for a closer look. They may serve well as reference to my models tho. Especialy the reaper, since i don't have much reference stuff from DK1's Reaper, except the sketches that come with DK gold...

But yes you're right! Somehow I didn't notice the high quality versions of the textures. Thx for making me double check. This is great. :D

Necror
July 31st, 2010, 13:25
half life 2:deathmatch is temporary free for all ATI users trough steam.
http://www.steampowered.com/ati_offer1a/
Edit: nVidea has it to
http://www.steampowered.com/nvidia/#

Combat-Enforcer
July 31st, 2010, 19:43
Skaruts, I could produce normal and specular maps of those DK textures for you if you like.

Can you send me the actual textures you've used?

Also, just a tip, you should distort or randomise the architecture a little bit, as it is in DK. Just create lots of 3 sided pyramidal brushes and vertex edit them to the deformaty you want; that way it will make it look more Dungeon Keeper like.

edit: and have a bump map, quake 3 doesn't support it but source does

And actually, the Quake 3 engine does support bumpmapping, but it's very basic. Atleast, Jedi knight academy, which is a quake 3 engine game does.

It's not quite the same thing as in the source engine or in any later game.

Necror
July 31st, 2010, 21:40
He'll use syntheseas textures and there's already a normalmap included with that

and for quake: wikipedia says
Engine Quake III Arena (with Raven's custom SDK)
It's probably the SDK that does the thing

Combat-Enforcer
July 31st, 2010, 22:13
For Jedi Knight Academy, I never used Ravens' SDK, just Radiant.

Quite frankly I never even knew that there was a Raven SDK.

Chances are that the code for bumpmapping would be lying about in the source somewhere, but has never been used. You'd be surprised how much redundant code is usually lurking in the source which was either never finished or perfected for the final version of whatever game it comes with.

The bumpmapping I saw applied in JKA looked very stark, there was no ambience between the light areas and dark areas, it was just very strong.

Necror
August 20th, 2010, 07:39
So when are you gonna upload the first version?
I'd love to throw a boulder at you with my gravity gun.

Necror
August 30th, 2010, 19:23
I've just checked a video of source sdk and it looks more easy then GTK I'm out of bandwidth and download it in 2 days
then I'll make a source map two

Skaruts
November 26th, 2010, 15:25
I have been unnable to continue my work for some time now. And now that Half Life 2 Deathmatch has been upgraded to Valve's most recent engine it got severly broken and I dunno if I'll keep making it for this game.

Either way, for several reasons I still can't map anything atm, so I'll see to that when I can. Maybe I'll port this map into some other game.

Cheers.

@Necror, yes, source SDK is easy to use, but at the same time it has certain limitations.
Good luck.

@Combat-Enforcer, thx for the offer, but I can manage to do normal maps. I use CrazyBump or the NVidia Normalmaps Photoshop plugin.
About the architecture distortion, that's one of source SDK's limitations. it works the same as quake, with bsp geometry, which can't be more than simple flat faces. I tried using displacements but it was getting too complicated and confusing. Displacements are a delicate thing in SDK... But then I was forced to stop mapping...
I'll give it another attempt whenever I can. But that's still one of the things i can't garantee I can do, and tbh, it's saddens me a bit.

Skaruts
May 11th, 2011, 18:40
Does anyone still have the high res textures WTFO used at the time I made my video here?

I think I lost that version of it, and now I don't know where to get high res textures of DK1 anymore...

Thanks..

kyle
May 11th, 2011, 19:09
Does anyone still have the high res textures WTFO used at the time I made my video here?

I think I lost that version of it, and now I don't know where to get high res textures of DK1 anymore...

Thanks..

http://code.google.com/p/wfto/source/browse/trunk/data/resources/textures/atlas4_COLOR_HI_optimized.bmp

and click view raw file.

Necror
May 11th, 2011, 20:51
I downloaded the source sdk once but never used it.
now that I can model i might restart modding.

Skaruts
May 11th, 2011, 22:21
Thanks a lot Kyle.

Well, I'm kind of back doing stuff... I don't know if I'll do anything with this but I think I may try something. I've been having some ideas.
Now I just need to recap on Source SDKing and on the gigaton of crap I have on my source backups folder... :D

And I'll have to convert all the used textures into hires ones... aarrrgh