PDA

View Full Version : tring to make maps, No success

dk2player
September 4th, 2009, 03:17
Ok heres the problem.

1.) have tried making maps, and when I save, it makes a new map, and the one I made isn't there. If I try over writing a map, it just loads that map.

I want to know how to play the maps I have made, and to stop them from being lost when I save.

2.) I also would like to know how to play the maps made by others.

dotted
September 4th, 2009, 07:55
Someone didn't follow the installation instructions =)

DragonsLover
September 4th, 2009, 08:32
Did you follow this (http://keeper.lubie.org/dk1_docs/dk_editor_hdinst.htm)?

If you can't save a level, it means that, your folder of files are surely "Read only" or you're trying to save a level on the game CD, which is impossible. You must be sure that the level files are on your HD and they aren't "Read only".

natchoguy
November 9th, 2009, 01:33
I also have problems with map editing... you all probably know about it

MeinCookie
January 5th, 2010, 23:28
I am having problems with editor atm

Recently DLed Dk1 and it won't save files in the official editor. The levels files aren't read-only. I've changed the directory in Keeper.cfg and I've reinstalled.
I'm stumped.

DragonsLover
January 6th, 2010, 00:26
Then it's not normal... Did you follow correctly the installation instructions (http://keeper.lubie.org/dk1_docs/dk_editor_hdinst.htm) of the level editor?

Because if everything is okay, it should save levels correctly. I don't understand if it doesn't.

MeinCookie
January 6th, 2010, 00:51
Yes, I think so.

The problem atm is not that it isn't saving. It wasn't saving originally, but since i changed the install path it won't pick up the game cd.
I don't know whether it is saving because it won't start anymore :(

DzjeeAr
January 21st, 2010, 13:35
You said you DLed DK1? What do you need the CD for then?

If you've installed it properly in the way that enables you to make and save maps, you don't need the CD to play it either.

dragonfist
October 22nd, 2010, 08:14
Hard-disk installation.

From your Gold CD, you must copy the maps LEVELS, DATA and LDATA, and past them into the /keeper directory of your local hard-disk.
Done?
Okay. Rightclick what you have copied and pasted from the CD, go to properties, and unmake them read only, so you can edit them. They are read-only, because all files from cd-roms are read-only, they can not be changed.

Than you will find on the Keeper directory a file called, keeper.cfg
Some have to change the map options in Microsoft Windows, to make the extensions visible.
Open keeper.cfg in notepad or any other text editor, and change the path from the CD, to the path in your local keeper directory, where the game and the recently copied and pasted in maps are. Than save it.

Now open the Editor. You will notice, that it works.
If the editor is found in the Keeper Directory also that is.
You can now download any level, most found here (http://keeper.lubie.org/), and you can play them as separate levels with Deeper Dungeons, or as a campaign when the levels are named map00001, map00002 etc. After you unpacked them into the LEVELS directory.

This explanation is also found with the documentation with the Bullfrog editor.
It is also posted on this forum.
Is is also explained on most Dungeon Keeper websites.

It might be scary to do it for the first time, but it is easy once you succeed, and once you know how it is done, copying 3 maps and changing the path in keeper.cfg, I think also deeper.cfg. You can play custom levels also from skirmish mode, where you have to open Dungeon Keeper with -1player attribute, and have to edit the levels.txt in the levels directory, where the multi-player levels are found. Renaming them to map00001.* with the help of some editor, or manually, is quicker than having to edit levels.txt. map00001.* will be played when you start a new game. In Deeper Dungeons, renaming is obsolete in most cases. The new level will be visible in the menu.