PDA

View Full Version : Random lock-ups on Windows 7

Imporary
June 10th, 2010, 12:52
Greetings.
First of all, thanks for making KeeperFX. Awesome project, had a blast playing it, just like original game years ago ;).
Everything works great, except this one problem, when game hangs entire system at semi-random places and I have to reboot my PC. So far it occurred 5 times - three when I clicked the "Options" button and twice at the startup, when disc image is displayed, once in normal and once in debug versions. Here's log from last lock-up:
Dungeon Keeper FX ver 0.3.7.143 (debug release)
LOG CREATED @ 18:56:31 10-06-2010

Sync: CPU GenuineIntel type 0 family 6 model 7 stepping 7 features bfebfbff
Sync: PhysicalMemory 32
Sync: Memory-demanding features enabled.
Sync: load_configuration: Starting
Sync: load_configuration: Processing Config file, 660 bytes
Sync: load_configuration: Config loaded
Sync: setup_screen_mode_zero: Setting up mode 13
Sync: setup_screen: Pitch stays at 640
Sync: LbScreenSetup: Mode setup succeeded
Sync: LbScreenSetup: Done filling display properties struct
Sync: LbScreenSetup: Finished
Sync: Moon phase 0.7596
Sync: init_sound: Starting
Sync: setup_screen: Pitch stays at 640
Sync: LbScreenSetup: Mode setup succeeded
Sync: LbScreenSetup: Done filling display properties struct
Sync: LbScreenSetup: Finished

Running 0.37 complete version on a Windows 7.
Is there are something I can do to fix this?

mefistotelis
June 10th, 2010, 18:36
Try inserting something to your CD when running KeeperFX.
Also, try running the game with "-nointro" parameter.

Imporary
June 11th, 2010, 01:59
Thanks for quick reply.
Inserted random DVD into my only DVDROM, launched game with -nointro parameter, clicked a few times on "Options" then one time at "Load Game" and it froze there, during fade out animation.

mefistotelis
June 11th, 2010, 23:34
Strange.. And the whole system stops responding? What about pressing Alt+Tab or Ctrl+Esc or Ctrl+Alt+Del?

It is probably video card problem - after all, no application should be allowed to freeze the system. I know it doesn't exactly work like this on Windows; but still, this seems like hardware or driver problem.

A KeeperFX version which uses SDL instead of DirectDraw should be out within a month - it may work better on your system.

Imporary
June 12th, 2010, 02:38
And the whole system stops responding? What about pressing Alt+Tab or Ctrl+Esc or Ctrl+Alt+Del?
Yep, nothing works.

this seems like hardware or driver problem.
Thanks. Though it's strange to have this problem only with KeeperFX when there's a lot of other, much demanding games which I play without any similar problems.
Oh, almost forgot - this issue seems to appear only in menu. Though I played not for much (approximately 8 hours), but in the game nothing like that has ever happened.

A KeeperFX version which uses SDL instead of DirectDraw should be out within a month - it may work better on your system.
Great :D! Good to hear.

dotted
June 12th, 2010, 14:43
Just gonna pop in and say i've had this issue aswell, will post again with further detail.

dragonfist
October 21st, 2010, 04:36
This doesn't seem like an KeeprFX problem, but a Dungeon Keeper problem to me.
Yes, the game crashes, and many many years ago, I had to reboot my computer also.
I had it with KeeperFX, but it is the same crash as in Dungeon Keeper.
Since I've been building maps for that game, I had to throw a lot away, because some maps are more stable than others.

Tricks:
Minimize your Dungeon Keeper or KeeprFX with ALT+TAB or a windows button. Than press Alt+Cntrl+Del, and choose the program in the pop-up window, Windows Task Manager, to end the program.

You can often prevent your game from going tilt in most levels, by reducing the workshop. Just sell the workshops, and often you can't sell the made traps. The workshop, traps and doors, is often the cause of the game going tilt. Other reasons for the game going unstable, is to many things in creatures, and certain walls, guard posts and temples with water, walls also do not promote level stability.