PDA

View Full Version : Woodsong is driving me crazy

Keeper Moranya
June 20th, 2010, 17:06
First of all, let me say that I'm glad to find that DK2 is still alive and well on the Net. It is still one of my favorite all time games. For killing DK3, EA should have to spend extended time with some of our lovely Mistresses in their favorite room....

I recently reinstalled the game and remember what clobbered me the last time - everyone's favorite map, woodsong (level 10). You know, the one where they give you 40 min to sneak past a ton of 'sylvan elves' to beat up on Asmodeus?

Is it possible to edit the level to get more time? I've come across a couple tantilizing references to doing just that, but I know zip about programming languages, software, etc. It looks like there are a lot of fun things to explore, convert and dominate, but forty minutes! Yuck.

Keldaryth
June 20th, 2010, 18:23
Don't know about that one, but I found a tip on another site that can help you beat it:

+ Built a maze of traps leading to your own dungeon heart - once you start attacking asmodeus the heroes will go for both of you.

+ Don't fight the heroes. If you're careful, you can take out the elves closest to your dungeon and then build a door (or do that first) and lock it so your imps stay inside. Then build a bridge to the far north side of the map, timing it carefully to take over the hero bridge when a patrol isn't around.

This lets you dig east or west of Asmodeus' dungeon and set up a base camp - lair, hatchery, etc. Drop all your creatures into there, dig through his walls (tremor helps) and call to arms on his dungeon heart. You can essentially bypass almost all the heroes and take out his dungeon heart from the side while the heroes battle to squeeze through his front gate, and get massacred by your traps once they break through yours (a combination of freeze and sentry will probably work best).

Heineken
June 21st, 2010, 18:55
Another possibility is to quickly train a strong creature (a mistress is a good choice here), possess it and take out the elves one by one. You can easily dodge attacks with a possessed creature (set the movement keys to wasd and constantly run holding down shift) and even if it is near death just heal and repossess it.
You can easily kill lots of heroes like this before the time runs out and they start attacking you. Take over one of their side bases so the hero portals will be disabled.
After fighting off the attack you can take as much time as you wish.

Keeper Moranya
June 23rd, 2010, 03:51
Well I finally beat the darned thing.

I built all the usual dungeon rooms, but in particular, I built a huge workshop and prison.

I packed every inch of the way from the north down to my heart with tons of barricades and sentry traps, plus the occasional fear trap.

As time went to zero and the heroes invaded, I cast call to arms on my own dungeon heart to hold my creatures there.

By the time the heroes smashed through my traps and got to the 20 skeletons and 15 goblins waiting for them....well, they were not much of a challenge, I fear.

Got into Asmodeus' dungeon by the "Secret" way to the left of his dungeon, tremor to open the walls, call to arms on his heart...and it was over. Bwahahahaha!

Haha Z
June 29th, 2010, 19:00
This mission is easy imo.

-Find the "reveal map" magical item

-Seal the 4 hero gates close to your base

-Build a big torture chamber, summon call to arms flag and train 10 misstress to lvl 4.

-Build a bridge to the heroes bridge in middle, fight abit so ur imps can take their bridge

-Build another bridge upto blues keep

-Sneak around with your imps and attack him with 8 min left trough his lair

-Posses a mistress and kill of his traps

-Good game

ragegun
October 4th, 2010, 02:45
my tactic is bridge into one of the hero bases with a imp digging a hole into the wall makeing a gauntlet of traps for the no good do gooders then possesing a creature and lureing the heroes into the gauntlet after all the heros are dead and dying. have an imp disable the base. wait till the invasion begins then watch as the base you didnt destroy sends a reduced horde after you and the enemy keeper your gauntlet will kill the heros and your rival should barely survive the onslaught if it looks like he's going to lose send your minions to crush the offending heros and his heart . you win

OneLastBattle
October 5th, 2010, 00:15
This level is tough up until you learn to trap-spam.

I basically covered the entire northern part of my base in traps and took over the 4 "raider" hero entrances. When the heroes arrived, I slaughtered them easily. I then took over the entire central area and built some traps to weaken the main hero army. I then tunneled into the "defended" section of Asmodeus's base. The traps where the Elves had been weakened the heroes, so they were killed before they could finish Asmodeus off. However, they cleared out his traps and creatures, allowing me to easily take over the job and kill Asmodeus.

juderiverman
October 5th, 2010, 21:42
Using traps to get through WoodSong is the default way. What about using no traps? Is using no traps in WoodSong possible?

Metal Gear Rex
October 6th, 2010, 00:54
Using traps to get through WoodSong is the default way. What about using no traps? Is using no traps in WoodSong possible?

Yup. I never need to use Traps, just train up your Units, Research your Spells, and then abuse the Prison/Torture Chamber.

juderiverman
October 6th, 2010, 04:07
Yup. I never need to use Traps, just train up your Units, Research your Spells, and then abuse the Prison/Torture Chamber.

could you attack rather than defend while not using traps?

d4rklqrdnem3sys
October 12th, 2010, 15:52
YEP! Just start advancing towards the heroes, torturing all useful heroes an skeletonizing all useless like thieves, elves, dwarves and even giants cause trolls and bile demons are enough, and this way you can prevent getting them unhappy. Just remember to ward off invading heroes from the hero gates, and once you've captured/killed/converted/starved all heroes, you have all the time you want to assault asmodeus. Simple as cake, but somewhat annoying that you cannot finish your dungeon layout early.