PDA

View Full Version : Closes after intro.

Kris Werdenberg
June 26th, 2010, 08:51
Hi. I've been trying to get DK to work on my Win7 32 bit system. I thought that KeeperFX was the answer to my prayers, as the only issue I was encountering upon a normal install was the rainbow color palette, and that was fixed with KeeperFX. However, with that issue fixed, another cropped up: the game just closes (with the "this application has stopped working message) after the intro plays or is skipped. No menu or anything. I ran the debug exe and it didn't come up with any error in the log.

Dungeon Keeper FX ver 0.3.7.143 (standard release)
LOG CREATED @ 02:39:02 26-06-2010

Sync: CPU GenuineIntel type 0 family 6 model 15 stepping 5 features bfebfbff
Sync: PhysicalMemory 32
Sync: Memory-demanding features enabled.
Sync: Moon phase -0.1658
LbDataFree: freeing "*PALETTE"...done
LbDataFree: freeing "*SCRATCH"...done
Sync: GraphicsHeap Size 8388608
Sync: SoundHeap Size 8388608
Sync: Sound samples in banks: 840,126
Sync: Pentium Pro polygon rendering on
Sync: Recomputing fade tables
Sync: get_startup_menu_state: Standard startup state selected
Sync: Frontend state change from 0 into 1
Sync: Created menu at slot 0, pos (0,0) size (640,480)

What I don't understand is that the game ran perfectly without KeeperFX, except for the color palette, which made it unplayable. Let me know if you need any more info. It's late and I'm tired, so I wouldn't be surprised if I left out anything. ^_^;;

Thanks in advance. ^_^

Necror
June 26th, 2010, 08:56
there's some stuff you need to change in the keeperfx.cfg file i think

Kris Werdenberg
June 26th, 2010, 09:36
I found something about that but the only thing is said was to find the original line in the keeper.cfg file that said "INSTALL_PATH=" and copy what that line was into the keeperfx.cfg. I did that and it didn't change anything. Still crashes after the loading screen.

Thanks for the reply though. :3

Kris Werdenberg
June 27th, 2010, 01:57
I understand that your problem is similar to mine, but there are quite a few differences. For example, I'm not trying to run it via Steam.

I'd really appreciate it if you made your own thread. That way, we both get the individualized help we need. :)

mefistotelis
June 27th, 2010, 10:04
Your LOG is not from debug release (it says "standard" in first line).

Anyway, I think your problem is that some DLL is loaded into KeeperFX at start and prevents keeperfx.dll to be loaded at its original address.

There's no real fix to that issue, but some people have reported that they were able to remove those strange DLLs that loaded into another applications. Another way would be to reinstall the whole system.

Unfortunately I can't find that thread.. it's a bit messy here.

One of the threads is here, but there was more I remember:
http://forum.keeperklan.com/threads/1126-Bug-Crash-just-after-intro
EDIT: found that other one:
http://forum.keeperklan.com/threads/988-Bug-Shows-intro-but-fails-just-after

Kris Werdenberg
June 27th, 2010, 16:06
Thank you. :) And by reinstalling the whole system, you're talking about the Dungeon Keeper and KeeperFX and -not- my operating system, correct?

Edit: I -have- run the debug exe and that's all that's written to the log right after I run it.....

mefistotelis
June 27th, 2010, 18:36
I mean your OS. Read the threads I've posted for some explanation.

DragonsLover
June 28th, 2010, 01:49
There's another thing that solved the problem for a member on DK.net. I don't know if it would work for you.

Here's what to do: you must put keeperfx.exe and keeperfx_dbg.exe in the Data Execution Prevention (DEP) list. Here are the steps for the Vista users:

1. Go in your Control panel.
2. To the left of the window, click on "Classic view" and double click on "System" in the new list.
3. Now click on "Advanced system parameters" to the left of the window.
4. In the "Performance" area, click on "Settings".
5. Click on the "Data execution prevention" tab.
6. Click on the second round button and click on "Add...".
7. Go get keeperfx.exe and keeperfx_dbg.exe files.
8. Once done, click on "Apply", then "OK".

TheJohn11313
June 28th, 2010, 06:48
Never thought of trying this, since this didn't work on Dungeon Keeper. However, I tried it, and it works! Thanks!

Pizu_Meaku
June 28th, 2010, 19:18
Also install DirectX 9.0c, if fixes ALOT of issues with older games. DirectX 10 is supposed to be backwards compatible but that turns out to be nonsence.

dotted
June 28th, 2010, 19:25
Also install DirectX 9.0c, if fixes ALOT of issues with older games. DirectX 10 is supposed to be backwards compatible but that turns out to be nonsence.

Ehm no

DragonsLover
June 28th, 2010, 19:27
That's all, dotted? No explanations?

dotted
June 28th, 2010, 20:37
That's all, dotted? No explanations?

Well i was lazy and simply saying
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRVUOGUmxJI i found satisfactory.

But to elaborate, it is not so much a backwards compability issue, as it is the fact that DirectX 9 is still being updated, with the latest update being from this month. As a consequence of this you still need to update DirectX 9 even though you have DirectX 10 or 11.

Thats the short version anyways.

Kris Werdenberg
June 30th, 2010, 06:25
Installing DirectX 9.0c made the game work on Win 7 32 bit. Haven't attempted it on my Win 7 64 bit system yet (I'm guessing I'll need the Microsoft Compatibility Application since I can't even open the install on that system...)

Anyway, we got it to work on the 32 bit system. Colors look beautiful, however the game crashes randomly.... It's still completely playable, but the crashes are annoying and so is having to save every 5 minutes.

We tried running the keeperfx_dbg.exe but we haven't really gotten a crash on that one.... I'll play that one for a while and hope for a crash so I can post the log. :)

Thanks for all the help so far. ^_^

mefistotelis
June 30th, 2010, 19:10
Try the new patch - may be more stable.

If it will still hang, and debug version will not, then I could create a special "half-debug" version to find cause of this bug.

Robbeasy
August 16th, 2010, 23:36
As an originator of one of the original threads on closing after the intro, I have good news...I now have a fully working version of KeeperFX.

System Specs - Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. nVidia gts 880, 4gb Memory, core2 Duo.

What I did to get it working - Its one of two things.

1) Dowloaded and ran latest DirectX 9 update.

2) Added KeeperFX to the DEP list.

Out of the two , i suspect its the DX9 update that swung it - pretty sure I'd tried the DEP thing before.

Many thanks to all the peeps that tried to help me - and to Mefistotelis for an awesome fan remake