PDA

View Full Version : Bullfrog Map Editor VS Adikted Comparison

TheJohn11313
June 27th, 2010, 08:48
Hi, I just wanted to ask, what features does AdiktED include? I know that it is command-line based, but does it have any features that the Bullfrog editor doesn't? I have been considering AdiktED for a while now, but I'm sceptical over wether there's any point.

Duke Ragereaver
June 27th, 2010, 08:59
The simple fact that Adikted doesn't have any problems with the speed of the computer, something that the Offical Editor is notorious is about, works for me. True, it takes some time to master Adikted and getting used to it's features but it works really fast after that.

Another big plus for Adikted is that it got a script verrifier, saves alot of work figuring out looking for errors in the script.

TheJohn11313
June 27th, 2010, 09:25
Ah, ok then. I'm going to download it now. Thanks for replying so quickly!

Metal Gear Rex
June 27th, 2010, 13:42
The simple fact that Adikted doesn't have any problems with the speed of the computer, something that the Offical Editor is notorious is about, works for me. True, it takes some time to master Adikted and getting used to it's features but it works really fast after that.

Another big plus for Adikted is that it got a script verrifier, saves alot of work figuring out looking for errors in the script.

Although you also forgot to mention that Adkited is able to place things the official editor cannot. An example is placing graves somewhere, like around the dungeon heart. You can see this in level 12, as there are grades near the south door you have from the beginning. You can also make the cave in effect as it was displayed in level 9 near the Locate Hidden Land.

The only problem, (And reason why I don't use Adkited) is because it takes much longer to make a map compared to the official editor. If you have no problem with the speed, and you're not going to use the extra features Adkited has, (Not including script included stuff) then you might want to go to the official editor instead since maps are easier to make.

Also there is advantage with lighting the official editor has, as you can't see how strong or weak lighting is but I doubt that is a commonly used feature anyways.

TheJohn11313
June 27th, 2010, 20:16
Tried it now, although it takes a while to get used to, it feels a lot faster to make maps now, using the marking tool. Also, I love the build-in script generator. Now all I have to do is think of a cool idea for a map (or possible campaign) :b

Duke Ragereaver
June 27th, 2010, 20:58
Don't forget there is an Adikted manual, here (http://keeper.lubie.org/dk1_docs/dk_adikted_manual.htm). ;)

Combat-Enforcer
July 22nd, 2010, 17:43
On any computer I have used, I have never gotten the official bullfrog map editor to work at all. Years and years ago while I used to play dungeon keeper, i used windows 98; that didn't work. A while ago, I tried xp which didn't work either, and now when I try it on vista it has exactly the same problem.

I used the one which comes from the DK Gold CD, and which is provided on this website, and niether of them work.

Is there some kind of patch for it somewhere?

But regarding addikted, doesn't that corrupt the integrity of mapfiles or something?

Metal Gear Rex
July 22nd, 2010, 22:29
But regarding addikted, doesn't that corrupt the integrity of mapfiles or something?

Seems like it a little bit. I personally use the official editor because I noticed that for some reason, Adkited for me produces alot of buggy maps... a bit annoying really.

If you're afraid of it corrupting your maps, create a backup of whatever map you're going to modify before you do try it.

EDIT: Oh and about a patch, I don't really know. You did follow the instructions exactly, right? What happens when you open up? Is there a CD with a question mark or does it just close out all of a sudden?

Combat-Enforcer
July 22nd, 2010, 22:58
Nono, I installed it right. Every time it just loads up to the title screen with the horned reaper, shows the hot disk then exits to windows.

DragonsLover
July 23rd, 2010, 00:39
The official editor works sooooooo fine under Windows 98. I still have that OS on another computer and it's working like a charm. Now, I'm using XP and it's still working very well. I'm pretty sure that, if it didn't work, this is because you didn't install it correctly. You must read the editor manual to make it work correctly.

If you want, I have made an editor folder specially for KeeperFX where all I have to do is move the levels from the Levels folder of KeeperFX to the Levels folder of the editor, bring the modifications I want, then return the edited levels to the Levels folder of KeeperFX. I simply use the files required for the editor to work. Anyone interested?

Combat-Enforcer
July 23rd, 2010, 00:46
I installed the editor.exe exactly where the readme distinguished, but after not getting it able to work; I finally contact EA, who said.

"We are sorry, but you must understand that we cannot solve this problem, as EA does not support all of its products which were developed under external developers"

I'm not sure they knew what 'Dungeon Keeper' actually was, to be honest.

If you want, I have made an editor folder specially for KeeperFX where all I have to do is move the levels from the Levels folder of KeeperFX to the Levels folder of the editor, bring the modifications I want, then return the edited levels to the Levels folder of KeeperFX. I simply use the files required for the editor to work. Anyone interested?

You could try that, if it has been setup for KeeperFX then perhaps it might work.

Mothrayas
July 23rd, 2010, 00:48
You do realize EA doesn't give half a crap about a map editor of a 13 year old game that they only were the publisher of at the time, right?

Combat-Enforcer
July 23rd, 2010, 00:51
Do you realise that they are still selling the game?

Well I don't think they did just so little as 'publish it'. They still own the intellectual rights to it and dispite that don't do anything with it.

Mothrayas
July 23rd, 2010, 00:55
Do you realise that they are still selling the game?
Nope, since last I checked, they don't. There's a reason the game's considered abandonware.

Well I don't think they did just so little as 'publish it'. They still own the intellectual rights to it and dispite that don't do anything with it.
They actually did as little as publish it. Bullfrog made the game, EA published it. EA later bought up Bullfrog and so got the rights.

And yeah, they don't do anything with it. Who knows why.

Combat-Enforcer
July 23rd, 2010, 01:26
But in 2004 when I contacted EA about the editor not starting, they were.

They actually did as little as publish it. Bullfrog made the game, EA published it. EA later bought up Bullfrog and so got the rights.

Yes, I am aware that they didn't make the game. That's what I meant. They aren't the ones who made it, but they are the main beneficiaries of a game which they do not care anything about; and endorse pseudo-Dungeon Keeper World of Warcraft copies like 'Dungeon Keeper online'.

Mothrayas
July 23rd, 2010, 10:08
I doubt EA was still distributing the first game or even the second game in 2004, considering they abandoned DK3 in 2000.

And I don't get what your point is in the second sentence.

Combat-Enforcer
July 23rd, 2010, 12:18
Dungeon Keeper online is a new Dungeon keeper MMO game with the Dungeon keeper title which EA are endorsing, which looks more like it's trying to immitate World of Warcraft than looking anything like Dungeon Keeper.

Allthough, Dungeon Keeper online is exclusive to China only; so far it is not being released for any other country. It just looks all funky and wacky.

http://dk.91.com/

Mothrayas
July 23rd, 2010, 13:18
Yes, I know what Dungeon Keeper Online is, tyvm. I don't consider it a true DK game so I'll just pretend it doesn't exist.

dragonfist
October 21st, 2010, 07:01
But regarding adikted, doesn't that corrupt the integrity of mapfiles or something?NO

Jon Skeets version did. But that version has been updated by Mefistetolis some years ago. The Current Adikted has a debugger, that debugs also Unded bugs. This means, that in whatever editor you make your level, you can make it compatible to Dungeon Keeper with the current Adikted. If you have downloaded it from Jon Skeets website, it has been corrupted, you can repair it in Adikted.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/adikted/
Debugging is done with pressing Ctrl+u, both in slab and in things mode. That's two times.
Don't forget that.
You can use the Unded Editor also for lot's of stuff that can not be done in the Official Editor. In the Official Editor, you can not place trap and door boxes, but in Unded and Adikted you can.
In Adikted there is a complete freedom of placing things, I mean the *.tng entries, and you have a lot of control over the blocks in column mode.

I didn't use the build in script verifier myself, with the last level I made. (http://keeper.lubie.org/html/dk1_maps_lone.php?start=01226) This was because, well, if you have a look at the script of that level, you'll understand that no verifier works there. I know other verifiers, but most of the time I can debug maps themselves. And there can also be mistakes in the script, that you only find out by playtesting.

mefistotelis
October 21st, 2010, 22:43
I didn't use the build in script verifier myself, with the last level I made. (http://keeper.lubie.org/html/dk1_maps_lone.php?start=01226) This was because, well, if you have a look at the script of that level, you'll understand that no verifier works there. I know other verifiers, but most of the time I can debug maps themselves. And there can also be mistakes in the script, that you only find out by playtesting.

That is true; the only perfect verifier is the game itself. ADiKtEd can sometimes warn about errors which are really correct phrases, just too advanced for it to understand. If there are really errors in script, then KeeperFX will place a message about them in LOG file when the level is being loaded. Looking at the LOG is the best way of finding errors.

cmfrip
October 5th, 2011, 13:31
Hi Guys as your talking about the editors I thought I might take the liberty of asking a question.
I'm glad to see this Awesome game has stll got a some valid fans who are still discussing...
- I might make my way over the that IRC that was set up to support Multiplayer with this game - any advice for this?

Anyways, To the point:

I am trying to make a multiplayer map.

I have designed the basic layout in unded & set owner ship

**** starting the level now results in me owning a heart, but I have no creatures placed & no Action points, no furniture***

So What I want to do is...
- I would like to place Action points to create a large attack on all keepers
- Create resident White & neutral creatures ready to join easch lucky capturer

Generally find out the other functionality of 'Unded' like how to place creatures to & action points, also gold etc
that the other, original editor does.

ACTUAL QUESTION****Does any of you know where to find a help file to access this content?************

---------------------------- ---------------------------
Along with the original question: if you can get the original Editor to work it is pretty good - used to use it years ago - only now I cant find my CD so I am opting for others :-(

Aditked seems to be ok - reminding me of the text progerammes that have pretty good functionality at a cost of complexity, but the one thing that kills it for me is the EXTREMMELY low res & the window isn't sizeable(?)

Thanks all
Any help would be good :-)

Mothrayas
October 5th, 2011, 13:39
Just don't use UnDED, it's horribly buggy. Use ADiKtED instead, or official editor to edit maps. There's plenty of help documentation with ADiKtED on how to do stuff, so there shouldn't be many problems - or else, just ask away. It may take a bit of time to learn to use it though.

As for resizing ADiKtED, you can change console size by creating a shortcut and then right click it and go to Properties, there's some setting there to change the console size.

cmfrip
October 6th, 2011, 18:01
NO ... Jon Skeets version did. But that version has been updatedI didn't use the build in script verifier myself, with the last level I made. (http://keeper.lubie.org/html/dk1_maps_lone.php?start=01226) This was because, .... And there can also be mistakes in the script, that you only find out by playtesting.

Very Valuable info here - Glad I read throught the entire Thread. though looks like I've lost a couple of maps already... :horny:
Thanks also to you Mothrayas.

At first I did use the unded version cos it is SO easy to set up maps - feels easier with a windows Frontend(N00B-talk), but totally agree with Adikted, played about with it & feel kind more comfortable with that, especially with the proper version on source forge. Your suggestion with the window has helped ALOT! I still like the Paint-esque thumbnail though.. :demon:.

tx 4 prompt response also!

By the way does anyone know if you can 'edit' the sdl in Unded & then alter it in adikted? cos both leave out files in the build, & one large map I did make just crashes the into a blank screen whilst starting Map (*Dont think it's my script, though it is a mish-mash of 'copy-paste' :-p )- DD or MP -