PDA

View Full Version : Can't get 640x480 resolution to work with command lines

DragonsLover
July 1st, 2010, 01:03
There seems to be a bug related with command lines. When I'm using -fps 30, the campaign list has a lot of missing campaigns and when I'm playing a level, I have only one supported resolution: 320x200. Even if 640x480x8 is written in the config file, I can't get it to work. Also, I guess I'm playing some kind of "test" level when I'm starting the first campaign level. I get Hellhounds instead of Imps, I also get a Tunneller (which is a Hellhound too) and I also get the Training Room ready to build. :confused:

However, when I'm running the game without using the command line, everything seems to be normal, but it's slow.

Are you totally sure that 20 is the default fps? I played the original game on my older computer, 600Mhz, with Win98SE and it was faster than that. When I set the fps to 30, the speed is EXACTLY the same as when I was playing the game on my old Win98SE.

mefistotelis
July 1st, 2010, 06:38
I couldn't reproduce the resolution and parameter bug. Also, there are no build-in test levels like this. Are you sure you didn't run different copies of KeeperFX, of which one was modified?

The fps is 20 in original DK, but I'm using different algorithm to make delays between frames. It is possible that in original DK the delays weren't completely accurate, so it's possible that original DK works faster.

DragonsLover
July 1st, 2010, 23:32
Okay, I saw what was the cause of the problem. I kept a folder of an old version of KeeperFX under the name: Keeper. Here, I wanted that, instead of constantly replacing the folder of the game over and over again, create a new folder for every new version. For example, for KeeperFX version 0.36, it would be KeepFX36. For version 0.37, it would be KeepFX37, and so on...
Here, it seems that version 0.37 uses the data from the "Keeper" folder which was an older version of the game. Damn, I had no idea that the name of the folder was important. Problem solved!

Why making delays between frames? Do you think you can do something about that without altering the 20 game turn per second? For now, yeah, okay, it's playable, but I was so accustomed with the original game that now, it looks like it is lagging. In fact, the speed is rather similar to a modem game I did with a friend in the old time with 56k modems. This is why each time I'm playing KeeperFX, I set the fps to 30.

mefistotelis
July 5th, 2010, 12:43
KeeperFX loads "keeperfx.cfg" from the app working folder, then all other files are loaded from INSTALL_PATH location. If INSTALL_PATH is set to "./" then all files are loaded from app working folder.
Sub-folders for storing levels and land view are taken from campaign config files.

As about FPS, I prefer to keep it at 20; I guess I'm too old for 30 ;). But I could make an option in .cfg file to change it, so using parameter every time would be unnecessary. also, I think it should be renamed to GTPS - game turns per second.

Krizzie
July 5th, 2010, 14:02
I suggest not going lower than 25fps, anything lower will cause the laggy feeling. Your eyes can process around 25fps at a constant frame speed, if the fps fluctuate you will still get the laggy feeling, but I guess that wont be a problem in a game as old a DK1. 30fps would be best though since it will just be smooth. :)

DragonsLover
July 6th, 2010, 03:37
KeeperFX loads "keeperfx.cfg" from the app working folder, then all other files are loaded from INSTALL_PATH location. If INSTALL_PATH is set to "./" then all files are loaded from app working folder.
Sub-folders for storing levels and land view are taken from campaign config files.

Okay, but the weird thing is that KeeperFX seemed to load "KeeperFX.cfg" from ANOTHER folder when I used command lines, even though "./" was indicated in the config file. I guess KeeperFX (that was previously in KeepFX37) loaded the "KeeperFX.cfg" file from the "Keeper" folder instead, which was an older version of the mod.

As about FPS, I prefer to keep it at 20; I guess I'm too old for 30 ;). But I could make an option in .cfg file to change it, so using parameter every time would be unnecessary. also, I think it should be renamed to GTPS - game turns per second.

I think you misunderstood my question. I don't want that you alter the amount of GTPS. Here's what I said previously:

Why making delays between frames? Do you think you can do something about that (the delays) without altering the 20 game turns per second...

... so that the game runs as fast as it should be?

mefistotelis
July 8th, 2010, 15:41
Okay, but the weird thing is that KeeperFX seemed to load "KeeperFX.cfg" from ANOTHER folder when I used command lines, even though "./" was indicated in the config file. I guess KeeperFX (that was previously in KeepFX37) loaded the "KeeperFX.cfg" file from the "Keeper" folder instead, which was an older version of the mod.
Possible. As I said, it's loaded from the app working folder.

I think you misunderstood my question. I don't want that you alter the amount of GTPS. Here's what I said previously:

Why making delays between frames? Do you think you can do something about that (the delays) without altering the 20 game turns per second...

... so that the game runs as fast as it should be?
So you want to make two separated parameters: game turns per second and frames per second, right?

Currently this cannot be done, and I doubt if this will ever be possible.

Creature position and camera position can only be changed in a game turn, which means making more FPS inbetween won't change anything.

DragonsLover
July 8th, 2010, 17:18
No no no... I don't want two parameters... All I want is to have the same speed I was accustomed with. Nothing more, nothing less.

I guess the simplest way would be like you said: make an option in .cfg file.