PDA

View Full Version : DK2 -with- hardware acceleration, impossible?

john
July 9th, 2010, 11:50
Hi all.
I've been trying to get DK2 running on Windows 7 (and XP) for a long time. I seem to have the same problem many people have, namely that I get graphical corruption if hardware acceleration is turned on; the screen is filled with "black boxes". If I turn hardware acceleration off the game runs flawlessly but it's ugly as hell - especially in possession mode.

The weird thing is - I also have this problem in Windows XP (32 bit). I tried installing XP on another HD and installing the newest drivers etc and it has the exact same problem so this is not tied to Windows 7. What I really think it is, is a bug in the AMD (ATI) video drivers or in my video card (HD4890) itself. Even with the oldest drivers that would run on XP i could find (8.4 or something) the game has the same issue. It's like the card just won't run the game - my old GT8800 ran the game flawlessly both on XP and in Windows 7 WITH hardware acceleration activated.

I tried a load of fixes; command line params, editing registry and 1.7 patch and nothing solves the problem. I also tried running XP in VirtualBox with 3d acceleration (pass-through) and it has the same issue with hardware acceleration enabled.

I really don't know what to do to get this working - any ATI/AMD fellows who are having issues as well (or NOT having issues for that matter)?

Hapuga
July 10th, 2010, 12:25
Here's what I did.

I ran the game as administrator.

I then did "troubleshoot compatibility".

I do not remember exactly what I chose there, well, I chose something related to graphic errors. Windows made some adjustments to the EXE, and now my original EXE runs perfectly well on W7 and I do not need any hax.

Kiyoitsukikage
July 11th, 2010, 05:33
It's not impossible I shouldn't think.

I'm running XP and DK2 works with Hardware Acceleration on, however, before when I was running Vista on the same machine, I found that Hardware Acceleration didn't work and had to switch it off. I didn't do anything to my PC in between, and it isn't because I have the 1.73 patch or whatever because it worked when I didn't have that yet...

My graphics card didn't change at all during the process, so I'm assuming that it has nothing to do with it. (There's probably a simple answer to this, I'm just an idiot.)

DragonsLover
July 11th, 2010, 09:36
I, too, am using Windows XP and have no problem with Hardware acceleration. I really have no idea how to solve your problem.

Try this: right-click on desktop and select Properties. Select the last tab "Parameters". Click on "Advanced" button. Select the "Troubleshoot" tab. Try altering this and start DK2.

Stiekel
October 29th, 2010, 20:23
The problem is that you have a ATI graphic card. I used some ATI cards and i was never able to make the game stable with those cards but all used NVIDIA cards works perfectly. Take a NVIDIA card if you want a stable dk2 :)