PDA

View Full Version : New bugs and a crash with version 0.37b

DragonsLover
July 11th, 2010, 02:00
Okay, I have managed to play KeeperFX from start to level 11 of the original campaign, Hearth, where a crash occurred on that level.

I have noticed some things wrong or bugged :

- AI of the Fly seems to be different. In the original game, I could see the Fly going around exploring, but in some occasions, the Fly isn't interested to explore or keep going into the same place over and over again. I guess it does the same for the Hellhound, I'm not sure.
- I got a weird thing with the Vampire on level 9 (Moonbrush Wood). When I got the neutral Vampire in the middle of the level, I saw the Vampire teleport to his lair, but something weird happened: he moved extremely fast to the Graveyard (like pushed by a Wind spell but without wind), then teleported back to the Lair and moved extremely fast back to the Graveyard at the same place, then teleported back to the Lair, and so on, over and over again... I had to take the Vampire and place him in the Lair to stop that bug.
- MGR seemed to be right about the Vampire doing nothing. I saw one that didn't attack at all after being teleported. It seems that the Teleport spell is bugged.
- The reference point in the magnifying glass on the Map screen that tells the bubble what's under the cursor seems to be misplaced. Instead of being centered, it is a bit down and on the right, like on the picture: 415
- Speeches in-game don't seem to work properly and some have disappeared completely. It is perhaps due because there's too much sounds at the same time or one speech goes over another one. I don't know. But some important speeches like "You have conquered this realm" or "A prisoner has died and raisen as a Skeleton" aren't played at all at some occasions. It would require for them to be corrected so that they are 100% sure to be played. I also got an Atlas speech (BAD**.wav) that didn't spoke at the end of a level once.
- It is a bit harder to take creatures properly. Would be nice to have their interactive area to be a little bit bigger.
- In possession mode, when the creature is frozen by the freeze spell, the screen doesn't turn blue as it should be and thus, we have no idea when the creature isn't frozen anymore.
- When selling a bridge next of a wall with a torch, gas clouds appear over the lava (I don't know if it occurs with water) like would do a gas trap. Really weird.
- Finally, about the crash on level 11, I have no idea what happened. Here's the log: 414

Oh, and by the way, would it be possible to use capital letters in saved games?

Thanks Mefisto!

kyle
July 11th, 2010, 02:56
I don't know if these are new bugs or not, but I experianced some wierd things while playing 0.37b

- The level I was playing kept crashing, when I minimized the window after it crashing all my startbars pinned programs icons where all replaced with different one (MSN was replaced with a notepad icon) when I ended keeperFX's process and started it up, then quiting out, it was fixed, very strange.

- The level was crashing quite alot, on a save I made near the end, it had something to do with the amount of creatures I think, I had been imprisoning alot of creatures, I had about 17 ghosts and 2 skeletons, 9 bile demons, 9 warlocks, 3 mistresses I found, 5 Spiders, a couple of beetles, and a single fly. The part I saved it at was exactly when three enemy's where being taken to the prison, it would appear if these enemy's died the level crashed, so I had to quickly destroy the enemy's heart before they where taken to the prison.

mefistotelis
July 11th, 2010, 07:38
Wow, that's quite a list.
Will try to get into these problems, one by one.

Could you give me a saved game made just before a problem occurs?
Especially for the crash, and for the vampire bug.

DragonsLover
July 11th, 2010, 09:28
I didn't think of saving the game, but I can restart Moonbrush Wood if you want and trying to repeat the Vampire bug (even perhaps recording a video of it).

As for the crash, it's somewhat random. I have no idea WHEN it occurs. If I replay the level and it crashes again, then I'll manage to save the game, of course.

mefistotelis
July 11th, 2010, 13:23
- The reference point in the magnifying glass on the Map screen that tells the bubble what's under the cursor seems to be misplaced. Instead of being centered, it is a bit down and on the right, like on the picture: 415
I can't confirm that - on my computer it shows exactly where the mouse is pointing. Tried 3 resolutions.
Request status: "works for me".

- Speeches in-game don't seem to work properly and some have disappeared completely. It is perhaps due because there's too much sounds at the same time or one speech goes over another one. I don't know. But some important speeches like "You have conquered this realm" or "A prisoner has died and raisen as a Skeleton" aren't played at all at some occasions. It would require for them to be corrected so that they are 100% sure to be played.
Ahh yes.. I forgot about some cleanup between levels.
Request status: "fixed".

I also got an Atlas speech (BAD**.wav) that didn't spoke at the end of a level once.
I couldn't confirm that. Can you tall me which quote was that? Or is it random?

kyle
July 11th, 2010, 13:37
Sadly I didin't keep that save I had, I had only a few seconds to destroy the heart before the enemy's died, then I saved it straight away, Is there some sort of creature limit?

Mister Giggles
July 12th, 2010, 00:55
"- AI of the Fly seems to be different. In the original game, I could see the Fly going around exploring, but in some occasions, the Fly isn't interested to explore or keep going into the same place over and over again. I guess it does the same for the Hellhound, I'm not sure."

I can say that this isn't so much a bug as a weakness in the original AI. Example: In Eversmile, when you break into the lake and let some time pass your flies will eventually start gathering near the far east end of it and stay there during all their freetime until you dig somewhere else.

That said, with KeeperFX, I've noticed the flies obsessing less about that lake and more interested in generalize wandering.

DragonsLover
July 12th, 2010, 02:28
More bugs:

- A creature turned into chicken turns invisible and blinks. Here's a saved game: 416
- When selling a trap, the bouncing gold number isn't shown.
- It rarely happens that earth/gold dug by imps don't create collapsing boulders (it happened to me one or two times). I guess it occurs next to lava.
- For this one, I don't know if it has been intended, but, when clicking multiple times on a spell icon, the spell voice cuts and repeats itself. It's a bit different with CTA and SOE spells.

For the Vampire bug, unfortunately, I can't manage to do it again, but I know what I saw. As for the crash, I tried the level again and no crash occurred this time.

I can't confirm that - on my computer it shows exactly where the mouse is pointing. Tried 3 resolutions.

Well... not for me. I didn't try other resolutions though. I'm playing using 640x480 resolution.

I couldn't confirm that. Can you tall me which quote was that? Or is it random?

Seems to be random. It happened to me again today: end of level 12 (Elf's dance). In fact, I may have a guess: when a speech occurs in game at the same time I press space bar (like "So be it" with a special crate), it may cut the atlas speech. I'm not sure.

I can say that this isn't so much a bug as a weakness in the original AI. Example: In Eversmile, when you break into the lake and let some time pass your flies will eventually start gathering near the far east end of it and stay there during all their freetime until you dig somewhere else.

That said, with KeeperFX, I've noticed the flies obsessing less about that lake and more interested in generalize wandering.

Yeah, maybe. Anyway, it's not such a huge bug too.

DragonsLover
July 13th, 2010, 06:24
Yet, still more bugs:

- When casting the CTA spell into an empty locked room, creatures become very annoyed. I have a saved game to try this out. Load it, lock the Dungeon Heart room or the Portal room and cast the CTA spell in it. Watch the mess afterwards! 418
- I locked my Torture Chamber and removed all the Mistresses in it. Strangely, later, I saw one of them still being tortured like if it was possible to teleport through locked doors. :confused: I don't think I did a mistake.
- AI of the tunneller doesn't seem to work properly when they have reached the dungeon area (when a breach occurs). If there's no creatures around, they walk around randomly without seeking for the dungeon heart. I wonder if the same applies for a party leader or if it only applies for a tunneller.
- I got something weird on level 17. One of my imps got a special crate, but when he reached the library, he didn't place it down and instead, the special crate was sticked to him (even when fleeing) and became impossible to select either the imp or the crate. I had to wait for him to die, but still, he died near the dungeon heart and couldn't select it either. Saved game provided: 417
- Once, when selling the Training Room, I saw a Warlock being pushed in the corner of the room (the similar bug I talked earlier with the Vampire). When I sold the room square in the corner where the Warlock was standing, he returned back to normal.
- On Buffy Oak, when an enemy Fly reaches a door next to lava and my creatures detect him, the Fly flees away. The bug here is that, my creatures get stuck: they wanna fight the Fly, but since he's on the other side of the lava lake, they don't move at all. I have to click on them in the Battle panel to stop that.

Is it normal that the dungeon heart blinks when the mouse cursor is over it? In the original game, it doesn't.

Searingflame2
July 13th, 2010, 11:01
Recently, in one of my warcraft3 matches, the topic of age of empires came up, and we were having an argument about RTS' awesomeness.

I used my trump card "DUNGEON KEEPER OWNS ALL!!!!!!!!"

Someone, believe it or not, said 'OMG! DUNGEON KEEPER! THAT GAME ROCKED SOCKS!" or something alone those lines.

I prompted him to DL keeperfx, which he did.

Now, a lack of information doesn't help much, but my friend has told me that he is unable to open it because he experiences 'rainbow colours' upon opening, and then it crashes.

Any advice? I know it is a bad way to get info, going through me, but I did prompt him to sign up here.

A New Room
July 13th, 2010, 12:18
- I locked my Torture Chamber and removed all the Mistresses in it. Strangely, later, I saw one of them still being tortured like if it was possible to teleport through locked doors. :confused: I don't think I did a mistake.

Well I'm pretty sure that creatures with teleport can go to specific rooms, such as imps teleporting between gems and the treasure room, but I'm not sure whether they can do it through locked doors...

Mothrayas
July 13th, 2010, 12:34
Well I'm pretty sure that creatures with teleport can go to specific rooms, such as imps teleporting between gems and the treasure room, but I'm not sure whether they can do it through locked doors...

Shouldn't be possible, bar possession.

Metal Gear Rex
July 13th, 2010, 14:16
- When casting the CTA spell into an empty locked room, creatures become very annoyed. I have a saved game to try this out. Load it, lock the Dungeon Heart room or the Portal room and cast the CTA spell in it. Watch the mess afterwards! 418

What are the creatures getting angry about? Is it food or something similar?

- I got something weird on level 17. One of my imps got a special crate, but when he reached the library, he didn't place it down and instead, the special crate was sticked to him (even when fleeing) and became impossible to select either the imp or the crate. I had to wait for him to die, but still, he died near the dungeon heart and couldn't select it either. Saved game provided: 417

I noticed that too, I think it was there in a previous version but I forgot to report it. It happened with several things, Trap Boxes, Special Items, Spell Books (The last one was incredibly annoying) and I remember getting it on one of my custom levels.

- On Buffy Oak, when an enemy Fly reaches a door next to lava and my creatures detect him, the Fly flees away. The bug here is that, my creatures get stuck: they wanna fight the Fly, but since he's on the other side of the lava lake, they don't move at all. I have to click on them in the Battle panel to stop that.

Do you think it is a similar AI bug to how creatures react to an invisible enemy trying to attack them?

Mister Giggles
July 13th, 2010, 19:17
I've encountered the "stuck" spellbook issue. On one of the custom levels, I had obtained a heal spellbook that decided to stick to the spot it was left at after its Imp ran from some enemies.

Considering that I was promptly slaughtered due to lack of healing, this proved annoying.

DragonsLover
July 15th, 2010, 07:34
It's not over:

- When Imprison is activated and my creatures kill an enemy Vampire, he resurrects to a lower level, but stunned. The weird thing here is that, because the Vampire's health is fully restored, my creatures keep attacking the stunned Vampire until he has almost no health. That's kinda annoying.
- I have built a Torture Chamber locked by doors where I put the enemy Vampires in. When they converted to my cause, they teleported straight to their lair like if doors weren't locked at all.
- It becomes harder to get a neutral creature. Generally, when you destroy a locked door where a neutral creature is behind, you get it straight once the door is destroyed. This time, it doesn't always work. My creatures may be near and the neutral one seems to ignore them a bit.
- I don't know if it's a bug, but, when you hold left mouse button over an empty area then move the mouse cursor over a creature, he stops acting (like if you wanna cast a spell on him). Same goes with right mouse button. If I drop a creature then do the trick straight after, enemy creatures may ignore him because it's like if his state hasn't been updated until I remove the cursor... which is weird.
- When you put your cursor over a Resurrect Creature crate (I don't know about the others), then go straight on the Map screen, the bubble that follows the cursor keeps saying "Resurrect Creature" wherever on the map (excepted for undiscovered area).
- I got a weird thing on level 20. After I claimed the Training Room at the South of the Hero Dungeon Heart, I was unable to claim the rest of the West path that led to the water lake. I dropped an Imp next to the path and he stayed motionless. :confused: If I dropped a creature, he couldn't access to his Lair, which wasn't true. I had to destroy the Dungeon Heart to solve the problem.
- TUTORIAL_FLASH_BUTTON command doesn't seem to work on some levels even though it is included in their script.

Metal Gear Rex
July 15th, 2010, 14:56
- I don't know if it's a bug, but, when you hold left mouse button over an empty area then move the mouse cursor over a creature, he stops acting (like if you wanna cast a spell on him). Same goes with right mouse button. If I drop a creature then do the trick straight after, enemy creatures may ignore him because it's like if his state hasn't been updated until I remove the cursor... which is weird.

That actually was inside the original DK1. The creature is sorta stopping because it may think you want it to stop there, or you're trying to pick it up. It could be a bug, but I dunno. I'm used to that being there.

kyle
July 15th, 2010, 23:35
I don't know why this happened, but on elves dance I killed heroes and I noticed imps werent picking them up, I rotated the camera and found that the corpses had turned into gravestones.

Mister Giggles
July 16th, 2010, 00:17
Kyle, those two gravestones are in the original game. They're part of the map.

DragonsLover
July 16th, 2010, 09:14
Yup, these gravestones have always been there in this map.

Now, today I played Morkardar. The first time, I got a crash for an unknown reason. Unfortunately, I didn't save the game. I have checked and edited the map to bring a few improvements then replayed the level. This time, it seemed to be better until I entered into the water corridor to the left of the map. Here, I brought 12 level 10 :orc: with me to fight fairies when the game froze completely in front of my face. :mad: Oh well...

kyle
July 16th, 2010, 15:46
Kyle, those two gravestones are in the original game. They're part of the map.

Aw gawd I feel stupid!

DragonsLover
July 17th, 2010, 00:08
Pfff... still today, I'm encountering a freeze on Morkardar. It seems to be random. My guess is the huge amount of things on the level or a memory problem.

Here's a saved game before it may occur: 425

kyle
July 17th, 2010, 00:38
I experianced two bugs, not sure if they are new or not as I have never encountered them before.

1. Selling a bridge produces a large gas cloud, as if a gas trap has be triggered.

2. Horned Reaper for some reason went invisible.

Pictures of the gas thing:

Save containing Invisible Horny:

I might just be doing something stupid again, but who knows.

DragonsLover
July 17th, 2010, 06:55
Like I said earlier:

- When selling a bridge next of a wall with a torch, gas clouds appear over the lava (I don't know if it occurs with water) like would do a gas trap. Really weird.
- A creature turned into chicken turns invisible and blinks.

mefistotelis
July 17th, 2010, 10:21
Instead of constantly saving and loading, you can use -packetsave to create packet file. After a crash you can send me the generated file, or use -packetload and create saved game just before the crash (Alt+T to take over).

This should work on original campaign and DD levels; probably won't work on other campaigns.

DragonsLover
July 17th, 2010, 20:12
Should I do this each time I play a game?

DragonsLover
July 18th, 2010, 06:35
- UP ! -

I just got a weird thing: when I completed one of the Deeper Dungeon levels, I returned to the screen of the whole land like if I was doing a campaign. When I returned to the level selection list, the level I was playing on didn't set it as "completed". :confused:

Similarly, when I leave a Deeper Dungeon level through Options >>> Quit >>> Yes, the same thing may occur. Sometimes, however, it doesn't, and everything seems to be normal.

mefistotelis
July 18th, 2010, 08:21
Should I do this each time I play a game?
That would be best - if something strange happens, you'll be always able to reproduce that situation.
But the packet save has its restrictions too.

This option assumes that you will begin a new map just after starting the game, either from land selection screen or free play levels list. It will only properly record one map.

As soon as you will load a game/exit the map, the option will no longer be able to write correct data to packety file.

SUMMARY:

Start the game like

keeperfx -nointro -packetsave test1.pck
From the main menu, begin a new map
You can only use original campaign and "Free play" levels
During the gameplay, don't use 'load' and don't change any options
If the game will hang, you can just kill its process; the file 'test1.pck' will allow you to redo every step of your gameplay
If it won't hang, then you should completely exit KeeperFX just after you've finished (you don't have to win or lose, the packet file will work even when it's partial).
Replay your packet file like

keeperfx -nointro -packetload test1.pck
If it shows a bug, then attach it to your report; or take over control and create a saved game just before the bug.

DragonsLover
July 22nd, 2010, 08:51
More weird stuff:

- Imps don't seem to drag corpses by themselves when there's a Graveyard available. I have to drop them on the corpses to make them grab them. This is a bit annoying.
- I got something strange with a locked door. It was on Svatona. I casted CTA spell on the door that was just next to the Guard Post in the front of the hero castle to destroy it. Vampires and Mistresses got sticked to the other door, the one in front of the other door next to the boulder trap, to attack the door next to the Guard Post. Once the door was destroyed, one of my Hellhounds attacked the door next to the boulder trap and the key above the door disappeared, causing the door to be unlocked. The strange thing here is that, heroes acted like the door was STILL locked. The door opened when heroes passed in front of it but they never left the room they were in. I did a save game of that, however, as soon as you load the game, heroes now consider the door to be REALLY unlocked. 430
- Finally, still on Svatona, I attacked the enemy dungeon keeper. First, I took the control of his barracks and his hatchery, then the enemy keeper dropped an imp to grab the hatchery back and this is when I decided for my creatures to attack. Once I did so, all his creatures were inside the Hatchery and invisible like if they all became the chickens meant to hatch. :confused: Once they died, their original corpses were showing again.
- When a Vampire resurrects after being killed, decreasing of a level, would it be possible that his spells return to the previous level as well? For example, if a Vampire is level 6 and decreases to level 5, then he still has the spells like if he is of level 6. That bug was present into the original game.

I don't have a packet saved as I had to save my game and quit before. However, it would be nice to have some key to record the packet at anytime, if it is possible of course.

I have the saved game before attacking the remaining rooms of the hero castle if needed. I also have a packet save of the beginning of the game. Near the end, it is possible to see that imps don't drag corpses by themselves.

431 432

edorien
July 22nd, 2010, 17:40
More weird stuff:
- When a Vampire resurrects after being killed, decreasing of a level, would it be possible that his spells return to the previous level as well? For example, if a Vampire is level 6 and decreases to level 5, then he still has the spells like if he is of level 6. That bug was present into the original game.

I'm not entirely sure thats a bug, given that their other characteristics all decrease appropriately.
(ie the vampire gets weaker but he doesn't suffer memory loss on death)

Krizzie
July 23rd, 2010, 00:08
Logical point imo. :eek:

DragonsLover
July 23rd, 2010, 10:19
Not in my case. It is when the Vampire dies two times in a row that he starts losing his spells. For example, he's on level 6 and dies two times to become level 4. On level 5, still have the level 6 spells, but on level 4, loses level 6 spell to have level 5 spells, and so on...

Anyway, I recorded a packet, a big one (18 mb) of a game on Kanasko. The door bug occurred, the imps don't getting the corpses by themselves as well. I guess that's all.

Here's the packet: 434

mefistotelis
July 27th, 2010, 21:49
Let me know which errors are still not fixed in v0.37c.

Please do not report problems with old saved games - only those which happened after starting a map from beginning in latest version.

Mister Giggles
July 28th, 2010, 00:15
KeeperFX worked perfectly with 0.37a (Skipped b). 0.37c, well...

KeeperFX gives a log error with both 320x200x8 and 640x400x8 resolutions (Saying they can't be drawn). Both are supported by my monitor, my video card, my video card drivers, and my operating systems. 320x200x8 has had iffy to non-existent ability to work correctly depending on which OS I'm playing KeeperFX on (Doesn't work on 7, works on XP) ever since I began playing FX, but has never proved a problem. I only mention it because 640x400x8 has ceased working, as well.

Which itself isn't bad - I generally play on 1024x768x8. Except...with, 0.37c, only the "game" portion of DK resizes - the menus of DK don't. In other words, they aren't redrawn to fit 1024x768x8 resolution. They instead seem to be drawn for 320x200x8 resolution, making them difficult to see since they're much smaller.

And that's on XP. On 7, the game simply crashes when I enter a level regardless of the resolutions used. Debug log of said crash has been attached.

I hope it can be of use.

Krizzie
July 28th, 2010, 06:57
Try 640x480, that usualy works. :)

mefistotelis
July 29th, 2010, 20:46
Video modes support didn't changed since v0.37, only names of video modes in config file were altered a little.

There was never any support of resizing menus in KeeperFX.

Mister Giggles
July 31st, 2010, 01:25
Well, I completely removed KeeperFX, then reinstalled it. Now I'm finding the game crashes in new and different ways. :\

I guess I'll wait for 3.8 before I worry about it again.

DragonsLover
July 31st, 2010, 01:30
The first thing to do is editing the "KeeperFX.cfg" file each time you download a new version. You must set the minimal video screen resolution to 640x480x8. Also, be sure that the folder is named "Keeper". If it is located in "C:\Program Files\Bullfrog" then I guess it is much better.

I'm running the game under WinXP and it works like a charm, if just that there's a crash at rare occasions caused by unknown reasons.

Krizzie
July 31st, 2010, 22:40
Running it in VPC here with win98 and it's rock solid, only when using the frameskip command it will crash back to the desktop sometimes.

Mister Giggles
August 1st, 2010, 10:20
"You must set the minimal video screen resolution to 640x480x8."

That resolution results in a crash.

I am waiting for 3.8 because, if I recall correctly, Mefistotelis is changing the way the game is rendered. Thus, it's of little worth complaining about crashes (That, apparently, only I am experiencing), I think, since he already knows there are problems with the current implementation.

DragonsLover
August 2nd, 2010, 17:51
Do you have the log associated with the crash? Try playing the debug version as well.