PDA

View Full Version : More than 5 players

UnknownMaster21
July 19th, 2010, 01:46
Hello! I am brand new forum member and I have been Dungeon Keeper fan from 1997... yes! very long time ehh :)

I am interested about is there possible to make kind of solution, that there could be even more than just 5 players? Would be cool for 3 vs 3 and would make kind of difference!

emperorjay
July 19th, 2010, 06:48
I'm sure this was posted on the old forum somewhere. you can make maps with 6 players but I'm sure it just crashes as soon as the game starts. :(

well i just went on the editor and you can actually have as may players on the map as you want (i went up to 30 before i got bored :p)

just tested the map and as soon as the game starts it crashes :( the 6'th player was black though :eek: bet it would look really cool though :rolleyes:

UnknownMaster21
July 19th, 2010, 09:32
Thanks! I am just finding somekind of solution for this :)

Mothrayas
July 19th, 2010, 11:06
I doubt the game engine was designed to handle more than 5 keepers.

It'd probably require quite a bit of modding to get the game to work with more than 5 keepers.

Hapuga
July 19th, 2010, 13:15
The game can handle as many heart as you wish, if you will find a way how to put colored models in the resources.

The crash occurs when the game tries to load objects like @6 color player wall", doesn't find it and errors. If you put all the necessary items in the resources, I'm 85% confident it will load.

So there might be 2 reasons, the game doesn't find the required tiles/objects, of there is some kind of limitation in the scripts, which i highly doubt.

emperorjay
July 19th, 2010, 14:11
wish i knew how to do this :( otherwise i would, it would be cool to have massive keeper battles :eek:

Necror
July 20th, 2010, 21:23
well emperorjay said the 6th colour was black so there are resources.
or are there just some in black?

emperorjay
July 20th, 2010, 22:21
yup the 6th keeper is black look :eek: dont know about all the resources and stuff because i dont mod or anything like that

DragonsLover
July 21st, 2010, 03:57
And 7th is white (like heroes), but then it ends there because the other Keepers are also black. I guess it was planned by Bullfrog to have 8 Keepers max, but they only allowed 5.

Mothrayas
July 21st, 2010, 11:11
Black could also just mean there's no color assigned to it at all. That is probably at least why all post-7 Keeper numbers are colored black.

emperorjay
July 21st, 2010, 12:18
but then why is keeper 7 white :confused:

dk2player
July 21st, 2010, 16:31
because th 7th player is meant to be the heros?

anyway, if you could somehow recolorise the walls, flowers, tiles, and other goodies, you could in theory make another keeper.

but the 5th player and beyond can not be played by human players.

emperorjay
July 21st, 2010, 18:00
how do you know that the fifth player and beyond cannot be played by humans?

dk2player
July 21st, 2010, 19:09
because it has been tested before. 5 player multiplayer maps have been made, and only 4 could play

something about the game only alowing 4 players at once or something

emperorjay
July 21st, 2010, 20:28
but there are five keepers in the campaign :confused:

UnknownMaster21
July 21st, 2010, 23:12
Okay

me and Emperor Jay have tested alot and I have tried with freaking 32 hours to get some answers.

Here is something:

Player 6 can be added in lobby, but .exe can't understand because it is missing texture files.
Also, there is 2 more things

Mapcolour uses 64 colours, and each keeper uses 4 colours. + that, water, gold, gem etc etc uses own colour and neutral/good player own.

There is not enough room for another keeper player, anc colour black in mapcolour is blank. (which is showing the background of map)

Also, 6th player name can't be shown on list and it is on outside from the namelist. In lobby, you can add even 48 keepers, but makes crahs because mapcolours are missing (and textures)

So, all what I can say is have to make textures (if need to) and recode the mapcolours from 64 to 128 for example. Then there is enough room for making additional players and etc etc...

7th keeper is not for heroes but keeper, somehow it shows colour white

As neutral players, they shows 7 colours falshing (Red Green Blue Yellow Pink White Grey). Colour grey is for neutral players.

Good Player is own player, actually it can be called "no-one's keeping"

For player 5 as playing, i think it is possible, cos you can add it on lobby. Also that, it should be playable then. But I think DK II.exe is restricted for 4 players only and it can not understand more than 4 players.

Anyway all what I can say is:

Recode enginetextures
Recode dplayerx.dll (if there is restricted area as playing)
Adding more textures
Mapcolour to 128 colour
Recode the .png file's size, OR, resizing the text of font size.

I don't know anything else. Please tell me, if you have found out something.

DragonsLover
July 22nd, 2010, 00:36
Recode dxplayer.dll (if there is restricted area as playing)

Where do you see a "dxplayer.dll" file? :confused: If you're talking about "dplayerx.dll" file, then it is one of the files used by SafeDisc copy protection.

UnknownMaster21
July 22nd, 2010, 00:39
Where do you see a "dxplayer.dll" file? :confused: If you're talking about "dplayerx.dll" file, then it is one of the files used by SafeDisc copy protection.

yea that, sorry I edit it

EDIT:

""dplayerx.dll" file, then it is one of the files used by SafeDisc copy protection" - hmmh?

EDIT2:

Anyway, there is restriction somewhere

DragonsLover
July 22nd, 2010, 08:30
""dplayerx.dll" file, then it is one of the files used by SafeDisc copy protection" - hmmh?

SafeDisc (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safedisc#SafeDisc_.28V1.29) :rolleyes:

Duke Ragereaver
July 22nd, 2010, 09:57
because it has been tested before. 5 player multiplayer maps have been made, and only 4 could play

something about the game only alowing 4 players at once or something

Considering how huge DK2 maps can be, it is no suprise they planned the game available up to 6... or even 8 players. It is somewhat hinted in the 11th leveled campaign where you face up to 4 enemy Keepers. It always bugged me why this Keeper received an unique color, I mean, she may be the most powerful Keeper on the map but she is in no way your archenemy, that role being fufilled by Nemesis.

Just a pity they didn't went through with this.