PDA

View Full Version : Bugs and crashes, now for version 0.37c

DragonsLover
July 29th, 2010, 10:03
Now, I just played Batezek and I got a crash quite early after defeating some heroes. The crash occurred when I clicked on a creature in the Battle window at the bottom of the screen. It was a near death Dark Mistress surrounded by tons of enemies.

Yet, the same bugs like in version 0.37b remain, meaning that once again, for that level, some parties don't head to the dungeon heart by themselves: they are wandering around, imps can't get the dead corpses by themselves, which should be VERY important here, got an imp that didn't release a corpse to the graveyard, thus being impossible to grab.

Additionally, since the new update, the Training Room is really quiet. Creatures stop fighting the training posts around the room and instead, they walk more around the room, doing a hit from times to times. Also, "PartnerTraining" doesn't seem to work at all. I got some Mistresses and they aren't really willing to train with other creatures.

Got pathfinding problems too. When a payday occurs, it may happens that a creature walks in a random direction and takes a longer path to reach the Treasure Room instead of the short one that all other creatures take. It's like if the creature suddenly stopped going in the right way to turn around and take the other longer way. It happened to me twice so far.

EDIT - Got two weird things now when I played Belial:
- Sometimes, when a creature that just entered in our dungeon reaches the dungeon heart, the red gas cloud with the "Ohm!" sound effect doesn't occur.
- Sometimes, when a creature wanna create its lair, its thought bubble disappears during the way and acts like if it doesn't want to create his lair anymore until it stops in the middle of the lair. Then, the thought bubble reappears and the creature moves back to make its lair properly. Weird.

DragonsLover
August 6th, 2010, 21:11
Bump!

Got something weird now in "Tickle" campaign level. All of a sudden, without no reasons, all creatures of the whole level froze completely during a payday. They all couldn't move even by slapping them or possessing them, and when I took them and dropped them, they got suspended in the air. :eek: Only new created imps are moving and acting normally. Also, all numbers in the creature panel turned to a red 0. This is the weirdest thing I have encountered in the game so far.

Here's a saved game to see it by yourself: 457

EDIT: The cause seems to be the enemy keeper performing creature sacrifices. It seems that, when his creatures are angry, he throws them there instead in the portal.

Other bugs I have noticed:

- When a pile of gold is over a tile where there's a treasure room gold pile, it is impossible to grab it as the game selects the treasure room gold pile instead of the unused one. This generally happens when enlarging the full treasure room next to a gem block.
- Still got problems with speeches, especially after a saved game. I couldn't hear "A door has been manufactured" or "A trap has been manufactured". Also, once again, I can't hear "One of your prisoners have died and raised as a skeleton".
- When a fly is stunned while imprisoning is on, we can still hear his wings flying, which shouldn't be the case.

EDIT: - Creatures with exploring as primary job become frozen when they wanna go to a place beyond a locked door, like if they were forced to go there. Would be nice to tell them to explore elsewhere in the AI. Also, like I once stated, they don't seem to go to unexplored areas, they are only exploring around in our dungeon without caring for that.

Krizzie
August 8th, 2010, 15:08
- When a fly is stunned while imprisoning is on, we can still hear his wings flying, which shouldn't be the case.

I Believe that's also in the original game, so not a KeeperFX bug, but it's weird indeed. :)

Damse
August 28th, 2010, 10:04
I have also found the game crashes every time I want to possess a fly.

Damse
August 28th, 2010, 22:46
I have also found the game crashes every time I want to possess a fly.

I will correct myself! I have just tried the game using D3DWindower and by lowering the resolution the crash is no longer present. It crashed only in higher resolutions in fullscreen mode.

Metal Gear Rex
August 29th, 2010, 01:16
I will correct myself! I have just tried the game using D3DWindower and by lowering the resolution the crash is no longer present. It crashed only in higher resolutions in fullscreen mode.

Please edit your post next time. Thank you for your time. Please leave a tip at the counter.

DragonsLover
September 14th, 2010, 10:53
Now that I am under Seven 64-bit, I have noticed some additional bugs:

- Some creatures training in the Training Room are motionless. They don't move, but still get experience.
- I changed the health of the Giant to be higher in the config file. However, during the game, if the Giant (as a hero) has a high experience level, his health flower turns yellow with a few health petals remaining. Once damaged enough, the flower returns white at full health like normally. That's weird.

Metal Gear Rex
September 14th, 2010, 12:01
- Some creatures training in the Training Room are motionless. They don't move, but still get experience.

I noticed that bug in an earlier version I think, but it disappeared so I never thought about it much.

- I changed the health of the Giant to be higher in the config file. However, during the game, if the Giant (as a hero) has a high experience level, his health flower turns yellow with a few health petals remaining. Once damaged enough, the flower returns white at full health like normally. That's weird.

I know something like that in the original DK1. As you should already know (Or at least I hope you know) the creatures who are placed on the map at the beginning refer to the creature data file for their health. If there are changes in the script, it only changes their max health. Their current health is the health from the creature file.

One of my very early maps featured changes to the Horned Reaper's health. I tried to raise it, yet lowered it unintentionally (Due to my lack of knowledge of actual health at the time) and the result was something similar: Yellow health bars. Once I cut the bars down, they returned to White. I converted them and their health would never go back up beyond white (Which confused me at the time)

Maybe this bug has something to do with that, possibly with different creature configs?

DragonsLover
September 14th, 2010, 21:03
Well... I guess the campaign starts by using the data from the default configurations (in the "creatrs" folder), then applies and overwrites the modified configurations in the "campaign_ctr" folder. Here, I added health to the Giant in the "giant.cfg" that is inside the "creatrs" folder. When it reads the "giant.cfg" in the "ancntkpr_ctr" folder, the health differs and something weird is occurring. So, yeah, possibly with different creature configs.

Only Mefisto would know.

DragonsLover
November 6th, 2010, 18:13
- With "Multiply Creatures" crate, I got level 10 creatures from the ones that weren't level 10. It especially happens with imps. I got level 10 imps from level 3 - 4 ones.
- Creature's annoyance doesn't seem to work properly. For example, when Horny eats a chicken, he doesn't get angrier. When a creature stands over a corpse during possession, nothing seems to happen for a few seconds.
- While in another campaign than the original one and clicking on the "Continue game" button on the main menu, the stats from the original campaign are used instead of the ones of the selected campaign. For example, I got Hornies to use Missile from my patch in Ancient Keeper when in fact, they shouldn't.
- Creature's Lightning spell slows down the game when used, especially during possession or in Query mode or when the spell is used massively by multiple creatures. Is it normal? Normally, NO LAG should occur.
- About the imps not dropping a dragging object, it seems to happen when they're scared or are attacking or when something alters their IA. The object becomes useless even if the imp is dead, which is really annoying.
- I noticed something strange with Workshops. Very often, creatures are attracted by the anvil in the top-right corner of the room for no reason. They often stay there and aren't using the others or hitting the machines in the middle of the room. It happened on an Ancient Keeper level though.
- In some cases, when starting a new level during a campaign, the game freezes (screen stays black).

Anything new by the way? I didn't get any answer about the correction progress of these bugs. A "bug fixed log" would be nice.

Metal Gear Rex
November 6th, 2010, 18:28
When a creature stands over a corpse during possession, nothing seems to happen for a few seconds.

Are you sure about that? It is a small space in which a Creature can get annoyed, I've sometimes had trouble getting a Creature to step on the body right in possession (to make it happy) in the original DK1.

I was recently playing Duke's Campaign on FX and I had some Monks which I somehow managed to convert. Anyways, I trapped them between some locked doors in order for them to fight some Heroes (Didn't care about them much :P) and some of them died durring the battle. One of the Monks got annoyed because of that, stepping on the dead body.

DragonsLover
November 8th, 2010, 00:08
Are you sure about that? It is a small space in which a Creature can get annoyed, I've sometimes had trouble getting a Creature to step on the body right in possession (to make it happy) in the original DK1.

If I'm sure? Not really. I may be wrong. Perhaps I did something wrong, once again...

Metal Gear Rex
November 8th, 2010, 00:47
What's with the dot dot dot?

Anyways, I noticed that Traps for some reason do not have the sell price appear. I still get the money though. I dunno if I can get a log on that unless I use the debug version. Next time I try to play on my other computer, I'll try that to see if anything special appears in the log.

DragonsLover
November 8th, 2010, 05:56
Well... I thought there was something wrong with that, but perhaps there isn't. I once got creatures that got annoyance points for no reason while in possession mode, I thought it was related about standing on corpses but perhaps it's something else.

For the Traps price not appearing, I already mentioned it (http://www.keeperklan.com/threads/1162-New-bugs-and-a-crash-with-version-0.37b?p=21923&viewfull=1#post21923).

By the way, I forgot mentioning a new bug:
- Imps digging range is too high or badly coded. Indeed, I once got cases in possession mode when they could dig diagonally, or even dig the earth tile beyond the one supposed to collapse (two tiles away).

Metal Gear Rex
November 8th, 2010, 06:14
For the Traps price not appearing, I already mentioned it (http://www.keeperklan.com/threads/1162-New-bugs-and-a-crash-with-version-0.37b?p=21923&viewfull=1#post21923).

Hard to keep track of everything :P

By the way, I forgot mentioning a new bug:
- Imps digging range is too high or badly coded. Indeed, I once got cases in possession mode when they could dig diagonally, or even dig the earth tile beyond the one supposed to collapse (two tiles away).

I think that was in the original DK1. You know how you can pass through those corner tiles with water and lava? Is it something like that? That's where I noticed it, when mining too near those or something.

mefistotelis
November 8th, 2010, 06:36
- With "Multiply Creatures" crate, I got level 10 creatures from the ones that weren't level 10.
Will be fixed in v0.38.

- Creature's annoyance doesn't seem to work properly.
I can't find any problem with that code; but I'm not saying there isn't one. Maybe there are some specific circumstances when the anger isn't modified.

- While in another campaign than the original one and clicking on the "Continue game" button on the main menu, the stats from the original campaign are used instead of the ones of the selected campaign. For example, I got Hornies to use Missile from my patch in Ancient Keeper when in fact, they shouldn't.
Will check.

- Creature's Lightning spell slows down the game when used, especially during possession or in Query mode or when the spell is used massively by multiple creatures.
I noticed that too; all the fading effects are slow. I don't know what's the cause yet, but in SDL version it's even more visible.

- About the imps not dropping a dragging object, it seems to happen when they're scared or are attacking or when something alters their IA.
In v0.38, the original pathfinding code will be restored. I hope that will fix the issue, at least for now.

- I noticed something strange with Workshops. Very often, creatures are attracted by the anvil in the top-right corner of the room for no reason. They often stay there and aren't using the others or hitting the machines in the middle of the room.
Probably pathfinding issue. Will restore original pathfinding.

- In some cases, when starting a new level during a campaign, the game freezes (screen stays black).
Probably pathfinding issue. Will restore original pathfinding.

DragonsLover
November 12th, 2010, 05:16
Great! :)

Now, two more bugs.

One is this (a saved game): 565
I have no idea what happened exactly, I just fell on that and said "WTF?". Unfortunately, I don't have the .LOG with it. I wonder if it's the same thing that happened when I was on level Tickle where the enemy Keeper sacrificed some angry creatures, causing a huge bug similar to that...

Second is this :
- Neutral creatures seem to be able to destroy hero (white) doors where in fact, they shouldn't. Indeed, if you play Skybird Trill, for example, some Flies and Beetles drop dead because they have destroyed the wooden door to the South of the hero Dungeon Heart and they get zapped by the hero Lightning Trap. This is really annoying. It shouldn't happen.

I also experienced a weird thing when dealing with Steal Hero bonus box. I wanted to get a specific hero so, I saved the game, clicked on the box and loaded the game over and over again until I could get what I want. The weird thing is that, suddenly, some sound effects or speeches stopped playing after reloading the game too many times. In fact, I also noticed that, when you quit to desktop and restart the game completely, the sound effects seem to be of a higher quality than later in the game (sound effects and speeches are clearer at start and they suddenly decrease in quality). I hope I explained it right. I don't know why it's like that though.

mefistotelis
November 19th, 2010, 22:19
DragonsLover, could you check in which version of KeeperFX the "lightning slowdown" starts?
You may notice there is also a slowdown when half-transparent sprites are covering most of the screen (ie. when you're in possession and very close to creatures with speed or conceal casted on). Could you also check if these start at the same version?

kyle
November 24th, 2010, 16:11
The only two bugs I seem to run into are this.

When you multiply creatures the clones are all level 10, no matter what level the original creature was.

Now this bug you probably already know.

The other bug I find really annoying, I can't minimize the game and then open it up again, the game just crashes!

DragonsLover
November 29th, 2010, 05:11
DragonsLover, could you check in which version of KeeperFX the "lightning slowdown" starts?
You may notice there is also a slowdown when half-transparent sprites are covering most of the screen (ie. when you're in possession and very close to creatures with speed or conceal casted on). Could you also check if these start at the same version?

I'll check. I also noted that the game slows down when a possessed creature is standing over a gas trap and the trap is triggered while in fast forward mode. The same thing occurs when a possessed creature is walking in lava.

mefistotelis
November 29th, 2010, 21:22
Oh, I forgot to comment the saved game you've sent.

Some theoretical background:

Well, there are 2047 thing slots in the game. They're put in an array, and it's quite easy to browse it, for example to get a creature of specific kind and player, or to get a training post near given coordinates.

But searching through all thing every time would be slow - there are many such searches on every turn. To fasten the searching, "linked lists" are introduced. These lists can store things with specific properties, for example:
- All creatures belonging to specific player
- All effects belonging to specific player
- All things at given map tile
- All creatures of given kind
etc.

So now, if we want to search for our training post, we only have to search the "linked list" of things at given tile, which rarely contains more than 5 things. And if we want a player0's imp, we need to search "linked list" of player0 creatures, which is usually less than 40, and always less than 250. In both cases, the amount of elements to check is much below 2047.

But to have that speed benefit, we have to maintain our "linked list" - add and remove elements to them when creating/deleting/moving/transforming things.

Now, the problem:

One of the linked lists has broke for some reason. KeeperFX was able to detect the problem, and corrected it by truncating the list at broken element. But it wasn't truncated at end - the problem occurred somewhere in the middle, so rest of the list has been lost. And without having the things in list, it was no longer possible to find them with linked list searching.

Well, I checked the code for linked lists and can't find any problem there - something else must have gone wrong, but without a saved game before the problem (or packet file) I can't tell what.

Metal Gear Rex
December 3rd, 2010, 08:17
I noticed that quality loss in the sound too. One good way to test it is going through Level 9 in the original campaign, where there are 5 Gas Traps guarding the Locate Hidden Land special. Save game, run through it a few times (even the first time I notice the quality doesn't seem to be as good as it should be) and then exit game. Enter game, load save, and listen again.

I dunno if this were mentioned already or not, but I noticed the Dark Mistress just stands there when training. I drop her in there and she moves for a bit then stops. She still trains and costs gold like normal, it is just weird. I do believe it has something to do with the Real/Partner Training.

And as a side note, some of the text in the levels in the official campaign aren't correct, such as the info for the Heal Spell. It is a mere scripting mistake, however.

PS: Really funny when that bug where the Imp keeps dragging something happens to a knocked out Hero. Luckily though, once they wake up they easily can be knocked out again and dragged back to Prison.

DragonsLover
December 4th, 2010, 00:48
I guess I already previously talked about the loss of quality for the sound. I know that after reloading a game over and over again, some sounds may stop playing completely. I also encountered some sound effects that may repeat over an existing sound from the previous game. For example, you're standing close to a workshop and save a game. After loading the game afterwards, you may hear two repeating sounds of workshop room instead of one if you do it right.

I also already talked about the Real Training bug as well.

If the English texts are based upon the original Dungeon Keeper english text.dat file, then some messages may be wrong. You must use the one I gave with the latest version of my unofficial patch, right before KeeperFX existed.

And the bug where the Imp keeps dragging something is NOT funny. I also got an imp that wasn't pickable and acted normally right after he dropped a workshop crate. This, too, is just very annoying.

Metal Gear Rex
December 4th, 2010, 00:53
I guess I already previously talked about the loss of quality for the sound. I know that after reloading a game over and over again, some sounds may stop playing completely. I also encountered some sound effects that may repeat over an existing sound from the previous game. For example, you're standing close to a workshop and save a game. After loading the game afterwards, you may hear two repeating sounds of workshop room instead of one if you do it right.

For some reason its not like that for me. The quality doesn't get that bad (noticable though) but I don't seem to get some of the weird things you're getting.

If the English texts are based upon the original Dungeon Keeper english text.dat file, then some messages may be wrong. You must use the one I gave with the latest version of my unofficial patch, right before KeeperFX existed.

I use whatever came with that version of FX. Levels, text files, all exactly how they are by default.

And the bug where the Imp keeps dragging something is NOT funny. I also got an imp that wasn't pickable and acted normally right after he dropped a workshop crate. This, too, is just very annoying.

Sarcasm. Workshop Crate is annoying, yes, but what's worse is a Spell Book. Luckily the only time that happened, to me that I recall, the Spell wasn't actually needed.

DragonsLover
December 4th, 2010, 01:04
I use whatever came with that version of FX. Levels, text files, all exactly how they are by default.

If you get : "Your researchers have discovered the HEAL CREATURE spell that allows to replenish the health of your creatures and make them live longer.", then you have the CORRECT text file. Otherwise, you DON'T have it. If I remember well, Mefisto didn't take the files from my latest patch. I'll correct that once I'll get some free time.

Sarcasm. Workshop Crate is annoying, yes, but what's worse is a Spell Book. Luckily the only time that happened, to me that I recall, the Spell wasn't actually needed.

Lol! I do agree that workshop crates, magic boxes and spell books are the worst. Next, is a corpse (but the trick is simply to kill the imp which will replace the one he was dragging). Finally, it's a knocked down enemy. If it's a hero, then it's not really a problem since he can wake back up. Otherwise, if it's an enemy creature from a Keeper, he may starve to death at any moment... which sucks.

Metal Gear Rex
December 4th, 2010, 17:28
If you get : "Your researchers have discovered the HEAL CREATURE spell that allows to replenish the health of your creatures and make them live longer.", then you have the CORRECT text file. Otherwise, you DON'T have it. If I remember well, Mefisto didn't take the files from my latest patch. I'll correct that once I'll get some free time.

Very well. I was thinking about doing that myself but since you're gonna do it, fine with me :D

Lol! I do agree that workshop crates, magic boxes and spell books are the worst. Next, is a corpse (but the trick is simply to kill the imp which will replace the one he was dragging). Finally, it's a knocked down enemy. If it's a hero, then it's not really a problem since he can wake back up. Otherwise, if it's an enemy creature from a Keeper, he may starve to death at any moment... which sucks.

Or worse, he wakes up and the enemy keeper takes him back.

DragonsLover
December 9th, 2010, 00:47

It seems to start from KeeperFX version 37a.

mefistotelis
December 27th, 2010, 14:44
Just fixed this one:

Training Room is really quiet. Creatures stop fighting the training posts around the room and instead, they walk more around the room, doing a hit from times to times.

As about transparent sprites slowdown, I have no idea (yet) how this happens. On my machine I couldn't notice any slowdown in 0.37a...
It is possible that my implementation of the sprites drawing is just.. slow.

DragonsLover
December 28th, 2010, 04:39
It's not totally about transparent sprites. If you possess a creature that is not immune to lava and make it walk in it with frame skip activated, the game slows down at normal speed unless the creature reaches a safe place to walk.

Also, a member on DK.net reported a weird thing in "Will they stop?" KDK level, at some places, the dungeon roof could touch the ground!!!

See it by yourself :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-jhmSHEe0Y
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-jhmSHEe0Y)

mefistotelis
December 28th, 2010, 13:52
Also, a member on DK.net reported a weird thing in "Will they stop?" KDK level, at some places, the dungeon roof could touch the ground!!!
I was able to re-create this error quire easily. It seems this level is edited "by hand" and this is what causes the problem. I will try to fix it with ADiKtEd, keeping at least some of the customized walls.

DragonsLover
February 1st, 2011, 20:01
It's not totally about transparent sprites. If you possess a creature that is not immune to lava and make it walk in it with frame skip activated, the game slows down at normal speed unless the creature reaches a safe place to walk.

It's not the transparent sprites that cause the game to slowdown : it's the screen turning red fade. Indeed, if you use a Bile Demon over a Gas Trap and you speed up the game, there's no slowdowns. If you use another creature, like a Dragon for example, the game will then slow. And the same happens when you walk in lava with a creature that isn't immune to it: the game will slowdown until you walk on a safe surface.