PDA

View Full Version : Keeper colours

emperorjay
August 6th, 2010, 01:45
i think that keeper colours should be chooseable, tell me what you guys think ;)

dk2player
August 6th, 2010, 01:50
i second this notion. however, i don't like the idea of 2 keepers with the same colors, unless on the same team

MeinCookie
August 6th, 2010, 07:41
I agree. I also think there should be more, like orange, gold, pale blue and even pink i suppose. That kind of goes hand in hand with games of up to eight players but hell... colour ftw.

Kiyoitsukikage
August 6th, 2010, 09:48
Yes. Being able to choose your own colour would be fun. It would be nice if you could make your choose your own colour the same way in like Paint and Photoshop (where you move the sliders around and stuff). Although I guess I'm being greedy there. >.>

I don't mind being red though. I love red. xD

kyle
August 6th, 2010, 10:51
Yes. Being able to choose your own colour would be fun. It would be nice if you could make your choose your own colour the same way in like Paint and Photoshop (where you move the sliders around and stuff). Although I guess I'm being greedy there. >.>

I don't mind being red though. I love red. xD

Choosing colours would be awesome, but It should be limited to certian shades, having all colours at your disposal would end with players picking stuff like fluorescent pink, which might look a tad silly.

MeinCookie
August 6th, 2010, 11:00
Only in Skimish/Mutiplayer... the campaign default should still be red.

...and the colors of AI in S/MP enemies should be randomised from certain shades.

A New Room
August 6th, 2010, 11:38
Choosing colours would be awesome, but It should be limited to certian shades, having all colours at your disposal would end with players picking stuff like fluorescent pink, which might look a tad silly.

I think that black shouldn't be included in the colours though, since it is really annoying to distinguish from fog of war on the mini map. This kind of gives one player a slight advantage (probably not huge, but still and advantage).

I should know, I usually pick black for that very reason :P

Kiyoitsukikage
August 6th, 2010, 12:38
White/Black shouldn't be used, and neither overly bright shades? (Although I can't really see anybody choosing bright pink. xD)

Maybe around the area of the red box, broadly speaking? Could be darker or brighter. =P

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm161/Anime09090909/aroundhere.png

Just my input.

Synesthesia
August 6th, 2010, 14:04
I think colour picking using sliders could be the way to go. We could have a small window next to the sliders which shows the colours of any other players currently on the map, allowing you to choose something that stands out from theirs.

I think we should consider using black as a colour too, we can always try using transparency in the minimap to show areas that are covered by fog of war.

kyle
August 6th, 2010, 14:10
Sounds good to me, Although it shouldn't be pitch black, maybe a sort of grey black.

emperorjay
August 6th, 2010, 14:40
maybe a light black for the floor and a dark Grey for the reinforced walls on the map?

dotted
August 6th, 2010, 19:11
I want pink, end of discussion! :D

emperorjay
August 6th, 2010, 19:18
Ok here goes a suggestion of the colours that are at least available

Keeper (obviously :p)
Keeper
Keeper
Keeper
Keeper
Keeper
White (if there is a hero keeper :))

and if the sliderr option is the way we are going then these should be the base colours with dark/lightness slider to make for example

Keeper < Keeper > Keeper

Hooray for colours :D

Kiyoitsukikage
August 6th, 2010, 19:51
A problem I can see with the sliders that if you have the numbers and stuff like in my attachment earlier, if you just put the numbers one digit up, won't it register as a new colour? You could get two people with very similar shades. (I am possibly wrong about this...)

It would be nice if little details in the game reflected your colour, like the light off certain torches, maybe the glows from the heart (I'm thinking DK2 here when you had like mana bursts) could be the colour you have. Nothing major, just a nice touch that would make me test for hours the best colour.

Mhmm, I think black/white should be kept for something else. White for hero keepers?, black for...I dunno, ninja keepers who like like to blend into the fog of war? xD

emperorjay
August 6th, 2010, 21:58
well maybe there could be a limit between the closeness of the numbers or something :p

or it could be the choice of the colour itself, then the light or dark version. when this is chosen it is blocked from the other players or something.

MeinCookie
August 7th, 2010, 02:01
Maybe Black for hostile neutrals?

emperorjay
August 9th, 2010, 17:31
we could just use something like this

A New Room
August 9th, 2010, 18:10
Or it could be done by the number of max players, Ie 7 colours for 7 players...

emperorjay
August 9th, 2010, 18:47
how do you mean?

Necror
August 9th, 2010, 18:53
no stupid slider crap just select 1 of the x colours
x=max number of players

emperorjay
August 9th, 2010, 19:03
ok no slider. but i dont think the colours should be limited becaue is somebody wants to play pink or whatever then they wont be able to. it would be like dk2 all over again.

I think the colour choosing system should have all the base colours which you click on then it give you the option for the light, dark or normal shade such as below

Keeper<Keeper>Keeper

Kiyoitsukikage
August 9th, 2010, 20:03
I was thinking the slider you showed, Jay, was the one I was thinking of more. I just had Photoshop open at the time and took a shot of that one. Btw, I like your suggestion if people don't like the sliders.

I don't think we should keep it restricted to "YOU HAVE TO CHOSE THIS COLOUR LOLOLOL", that's why I like the idea of sliders. Heck, it would be nice if WFTO has an map editor and colours would be COMPLETELY unrestricted. Just if you wanted to make someone stand out or hidden. Get what I mean?

A slider menu that was done up to look like WFTO GUI would look quite awesome, in my opinion.

(I want to be a dark-purple keeper now...)

emperorjay
August 9th, 2010, 20:16
i know i thought the colour slider is showed would look awesome if synth got his hands on it :p i want to be the black keeper, but i'm sure we could make the fow sort of transparent like synth said, that would fix it i think.

I also liked your idea of the torches and stuff it would give a more personal aspect :)

A New Room
August 9th, 2010, 20:45
For now I'm really not sure if any of us here can say for sure if it can be done or not (since I'm not really sure what something like a slider, or a colour picker would require coding wise :/). Though it is an interesting idea :)

Mothrayas
August 9th, 2010, 22:28
just do select from x colors where x is a grossly exaggerated number. (somewhere like 30-40, should be enough to have the colors you would want but not too much, with little difference between colors)

Metal Gear Rex
August 10th, 2010, 01:55
If we do have some set of colors to use, let's not use Orange. Let's use True Orange. Because Orange is only a spy pretending to be a real Orange, but he is not.

emperorjay
August 10th, 2010, 02:15
The orange is a lie!!1!

Synesthesia
August 14th, 2010, 16:09
I think we should start with a simple colour set and expand things from there, eg:

http://www.pdportraits.co.uk/index_files/wallspots3.jpg

These colours all stand out well from each other and should be easily recogniseable on the minimap and in-game, even when affected by coloured lighting. We could try having darker/lighter shades of each tone although that might not work for black. Perhaps we should scrap black as a choosable colour and reserve it for some Uber enemy keeper in the campaign.

emperorjay
August 14th, 2010, 16:21
:eek: they look absolutely beautiful :eek: but yeah i think those should be the basic colours, but i wanted to be black :( but oh well.

also are is there going to be hero keepers or something?

Metal Gear Rex
August 14th, 2010, 16:24
Also in the editor, we should be able to make keepers be whatever color we want, instead of Keeper #2 always being Blue, we could make him Green or something. Same for Player, but if he has custom settings or whatever, it would override this feature.

MeinCookie
August 14th, 2010, 16:41
Make black hostile neutral... it would work awesomely.

Also nice colour choices =)

Some people wanted to have 8 player map functionality tho and you'll also want variety so we will need more with some kind shades i suppose.

Evil Lord Proteus
October 2nd, 2010, 21:50
Agreed. I would like some variety in colors too.

Red
Blue
Green
Yellow
Orange
Purple
Pink
Black

adamski
October 6th, 2010, 03:10
What about making colours a client side feature,
Consider an option that allows the player to set the colours of the other keepers that only they will be able to see, that would allow to pick any colour you want without interfering with other players choices,