PDA

View Full Version : Help the newbie! :o

Keeper_Infernal
August 25th, 2010, 07:57
Hello keeper klan! :)

Long time have passed and i have not touch DK and i felt like i am kinda missing him.. :o

Anyway i have started to play DK1 recently and i have all ready managed to take over the world and stuff like that i have also passed the deeper dungeon levels (I have dungeon keeper gold and also deeper dungeons expansion pac) and i wanted to add some new levels that you guys have create now those are my questions

*in which folder shell i save the downloaded maps?

*how can i open the maps in game (will i have to use the deeper dungeon launcher or the gold one?)

Now i have also noticed a launcher which calls himself Editor! :D:D:D but sadly my luck was to thin for that blessed file and i found the launcher Broken.. (*Tears*)
so now i have a new section of questions:

*do you guys have a copy of the file that i can have? :D:D:D

*will you guys mind making a small tiny mini Guide that will help me understand the editor much better?

Now my last section of question is about in game problems.. once upon a time i dont know why but i decided to try and convert a Tunneller (Tunneller right? :o) i converted him and he just stand there doing nothing.. 10 secs has passed and BOOOM!~ The Tuneller have Transformed in to a HellHound! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: How The Fuck??? :eek::eek::eek: :tunneller:+:mistress:=:dog: ??? :eek::eek::eek: ??? (Oh and the game have crashed 10 secs later.. )

Now another weird thing has happed to me in the game i am in the middle of a fight and a hero party is breachig through my dungeon i am about to drop my minions to fight the intruders but instead they are DROPING THEMSELFS! WTF? Its like some other keeper have suddenly took my place as a keeper and started to do things!~ :eek::eek::eek: he collected gold,droped creatures, and other stuff.. So my questions are:

How can i have tunnellers whit out crashing the game? :confused:

How can i get out of the the situation that some random spirit is suddenly taking over my dungeon? :confused:

and why does weird things happed?? :confused::confused::confused::eek::eek::eek:

Mothrayas
August 25th, 2010, 08:37
*in which folder shell i save the downloaded maps?
The /levels folder.

*how can i open the maps in game (will i have to use the deeper dungeon launcher or the gold one?)
The DD launcher in your DK Gold. Gold doesn't have its own launcher. To open maps ingame create a MAP00XXX.LIF file in the /levels folder, with the level number and the level name, like this:

241, Stuff

Now i have also noticed a launcher which calls himself Editor! :D:D:D but sadly my luck was to thin for that blessed file and i found the launcher Broken.. (*Tears*)
If regular DK does run for you this should also. How is the launcher broken? Does nothing happen, or does it give an error message?

You may want to try (re)downloading the editor here (http://keeper.lubie.org/html/dk1_tools_mapedit.php). Alternatively, download Adikted from the same place.

*do you guys have a copy of the file that i can have? :D:D:D
What do you mean?

*will you guys mind making a small tiny mini Guide that will help me understand the editor much better?
There is one in the Gold version of the game, iirc.

Now my last section of question is about in game problems.. once upon a time i dont know why but i decided to try and convert a Tunneller (Tunneller right? :o) i converted him and he just stand there doing nothing.. 10 secs has passed and BOOOM!~ The Tuneller have Transformed in to a HellHound! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: How The Fuck??? :eek::eek::eek: :tunneller:+:mistress:=:dog: ??? :eek::eek::eek: ??? (Oh and the game have crashed 10 secs later.. )
It's a minor graphical bug, related to it not having a smoking animation unlike the Imp. The crash should have come for irrelevant reasons.

Now another weird thing has happed to me in the game i am in the middle of a fight and a hero party is breachig through my dungeon i am about to drop my minions to fight the intruders but instead they are DROPING THEMSELFS! WTF? Its like some other keeper have suddenly took my place as a keeper and started to do things!~ :eek::eek::eek: he collected gold,droped creatures, and other stuff.. So my questions are:
Did you have Computer Help / AI Help on? It does that.

Tunnellers shouldn't crash the game. How many other creatures were on the map? Are there any other factors that might have caused the crash?

How can i get out of the the situation that some random spirit is suddenly taking over my dungeon? :confused:
Click the flashing button at the top left of the screen.

and why does weird things happed?? :confused::confused::confused::eek::eek::eek:
Because Dungeon Keeper > You, or something.

dragonfist
October 22nd, 2010, 05:25
For every question asked, you at first need a successful hard-disk installation.

From your Gold CD, you must copy the maps LEVELS, DATA and LDATA, and past them into the /keeper directory of your local hard-disk.
Done?
Okay. Rightclick what you have copied and pasted from the CD, go to properties, and unmake them read only, so you can edit them. They are read-only, because all files from cd-roms are read-only, they can not be changed.

Than you will find on the Keeper directory a file called, keeper.cfg
Some have to change the map options in Microsoft Windows, to make the extensions visible.
Open keeper.cfg in notepad or any other text editor, and change the path from the CD, to the path in your local keeper directory, where the game and the recently copied and pasted in maps are. Than save it.

Now open the Editor. You will notice, that it works.
If the editor is found in the Keeper Directory also that is.
You can now download any level, most found here (http://keeper.lubie.org/), and you can play them as separate levels with Deeper Dungeons, or as a campaign when the levels are named map00001, map00002 etc. After you unpacked them into the LEVELS directory.

This explanation is also found with the documentation with the Bullfrog editor.
It is also posted on this forum.
Is is also explained on most Dungeon Keeper websites.

It might be scary to do it for the first time, but it is easy once you succeed, and once you know how it is done, copying 3 maps and changing the path in keeper.cfg, I think also deeper.cfg. You can play custom levels also from skirmish mode, where you have to open Dungeon Keeper with -1player attribute, and have to edit the levels.txt in the levels directory, where the multi-player levels are found. Renaming them to map00001.* with the help of some editor, or manually, is quicker than having to edit levels.txt. map00001.* will be played when you start a new game. In Deeper Dungeons, renaming is obsolete in most cases. The new level will be visible in the menu.

Metal Gear Rex
October 22nd, 2010, 05:51
For every question asked, you at first need a successful hard-disk installation.

From your Gold CD, you must copy the maps LEVELS, DATA and LDATA, and past them into the /keeper directory of your local hard-disk.
Done?
Okay. Rightclick what you have copied and pasted from the CD, go to properties, and unmake them read only, so you can edit them. They are read-only, because all files from cd-roms are read-only, they can not be changed.

Than you will find on the Keeper directory a file called, keeper.cfg
Some have to change the map options in Microsoft Windows, to make the extensions visible.
Open keeper.cfg in notepad or any other text editor, and change the path from the CD, to the path in your local keeper directory, where the game and the recently copied and pasted in maps are. Than save it.

Now open the Editor. You will notice, that it works.
If the editor is found in the Keeper Directory also that is.
You can now download any level, most found here (http://keeper.lubie.org/), and you can play them as separate levels with Deeper Dungeons, or as a campaign when the levels are named map00001, map00002 etc. After you unpacked them into the LEVELS directory.

This explanation is also found with the documentation with the Bullfrog editor.
It is also posted on this forum.
Is is also explained on most Dungeon Keeper websites.

It might be scary to do it for the first time, but it is easy once you succeed, and once you know how it is done, copying 3 maps and changing the path in keeper.cfg, I think also deeper.cfg. You can play custom levels also from skirmish mode, where you have to open Dungeon Keeper with -1player attribute, and have to edit the levels.txt in the levels directory, where the multi-player levels are found. Renaming them to map00001.* with the help of some editor, or manually, is quicker than having to edit levels.txt. map00001.* will be played when you start a new game. In Deeper Dungeons, renaming is obsolete in most cases. The new level will be visible in the menu.

How does that answer all of the questions? What about:

And what about all the answers that covered every question asked?

Tunnellers shouldn't crash the game. How many other creatures were on the map? Are there any other factors that might have caused the crash?

Click the flashing button at the top left of the screen.

Because Dungeon Keeper > You, or something.

That info you placed just tells how to install the editor... Nothing relating to most of those questions.

I can't help but feel you copied and pasted this from somewhere. And you mentioned this info can be found elsewhere, why not a link instead of a big freaking wall of text. Either way, don't necropost. We already got one of those... we don't need another! Jeez... bloody ragegun and necroposting spammers. Of all the threads... this one, the one with all this bad grammar and smilie spam and-ARR-:word_of_power:

A METAL GEAR REX HAS BEEN DEFEATED!

YOUR GRAVEYARD IS FULL OF THE DEAD! MAKE IT LARGER!

But seriously.

STOP NECROPOSTING

dragonfist
October 22nd, 2010, 07:55
That info you placed just tells how to install the editor... Nothing relating to most of those questions.

I can't help but feel you copied and pasted this from somewhere. And you mentioned this info can be found elsewhere, why not a link instead of a big freaking wall of text. Either way, don't necropost. We already got one of those... we don't need another! Jeez... bloody ragegun and necroposting spammers. Of all the threads... this one, the one with all this bad grammar and smilie spam and-ARR-:word_of_power:

A METAL GEAR REX HAS BEEN DEFEATED!

YOUR GRAVEYARD IS FULL OF THE DEAD! MAKE IT LARGER!

But seriously.

STOP NECROPOSTINGFor your information, I wrote that tutorial myself while posting. Nothing was copied. There is no reason to place a link, because his Editor doesn't work, because he doesn't have a hard-disk installation. He hasn't read the documentation with the Editor, that he can find on his hard-disk. Since I do not know in what directory he placed his Dungeon Keeper installation, I can not place a link to a file on his hard-disk from here.
If this is an issue, why doesn't Metal Gear Rex place a link himself?

How can i have tunnellers whit out crashing the game?
I never experienced tunnellers crashing the game. This again is a question with no validity.
Than this tunneller changing into a Hellhound, I experienced that often, and this occurs in most cases, when the game is becoming unstable. For the reason the game is unstable, there are several reasons, but this seems to me to advanced for a newbie to go into in this post. In most cases, selling the Workshop will make the game stable again.

STOP NECROPOSTING
Ehr, Piss off.
You didn't answer any question to this newbie. While this post might be interesting to other newbies visiting this forum. You accuse me of all kinds of filthy lies you make up, most off all, that I would have copied my tutorial for making the Editor to work properly. You are not at all concerned about problems that other people have. As you proof to convey as a sophist, many words without any content. Rhetoric is the only content you seem to accept. By that is proof to be all lies. To a Newbie that doesn't know what a hard-disk installation is. And hasn't got an answer at all, because this quote list you made, doesn't even ask or tell the person that a hard-disk installation is the issue here. If it would be an Advanced Player question, your answers might be okay, but your answer suck, just as your savage attitude towards my answer. If you don't like it that I answered the Newbie, just don't post, and after a while the post will go to the second page. I say however, it is an important question, for every newbie, there is nothing wrong with explaining this on the first page op this DK1 mapmaking forum.

Your attitude sucks completely Metal Gear Rex, there is nothing more valid that I can say on it.
And it reflects not only in your posts, also I see this attitude back in your levels. I played (tested) them maps you placed on this forum. The few ones I liked, you decided to change later into boring buggy shit levels. Most of your maps suck in general, a complete waste of time. And I just say that, in order to make clear here for every one, that what I say about your levels without a portal, without any consideration on the time some one has to make to play your ignorant game experiments, that in my humble opinion have nothing to do with Dungeon Keeper, but consider only your ego boosting. And unsuccessful stealing efforts: a level without a Portal is no Dungeon Keeper, although you have stolen the engine for it.
:thief:

It is clear to me, that you accuse me of copying a post, that I wrote myself, because you are not able to explain anything to any one. I have done the hard-disk installation so many times, that I need no reference than my experience. But Metal Gear Rex, would merely copy some thing, than goes claim he wrote it himself. Not only that, there are several parts in the above tutorial, that I worked out together with Dzjeear, a level builder that makes great levels, a quality so high, that Metal Gear Rex will never achieve with his easy bully attitude, without a sane portal for understanding reality!
:eek:

MAX_CREATURES, CREATURE_POOL, TO DIFFICULT FOR METAL GEAR REX?

Mothrayas
October 22nd, 2010, 15:24
For your information, I wrote that tutorial myself while posting. Nothing was copied. There is no reason to place a link, because his Editor doesn't work, because he doesn't have a hard-disk installation. He hasn't read the documentation with the Editor, that he can find on his hard-disk. Since I do not know in what directory he placed his Dungeon Keeper installation, I can not place a link to a file on his hard-disk from here.
If this is an issue, why doesn't Metal Gear Rex place a link himself?

How can i have tunnellers whit out crashing the game?
I never experienced tunnellers crashing the game. This again is a question with no validity.
Than this tunneller changing into a Hellhound, I experienced that often, and this occurs in most cases, when the game is becoming unstable. For the reason the game is unstable, there are several reasons, but this seems to me to advanced for a newbie to go into in this post. In most cases, selling the Workshop will make the game stable again.

STOP NECROPOSTING
Ehr, Piss off.
You didn't answer any question to this newbie. While this post might be interesting to other newbies visiting this forum. You accuse me of all kinds of filthy lies you make up, most off all, that I would have copied my tutorial for making the Editor to work properly. You are not at all concerned about problems that other people have. As you proof to convey as a sophist, many words without any content. Rhetoric is the only content you seem to accept. By that is proof to be all lies. To a Newbie that doesn't know what a hard-disk installation is. And hasn't got an answer at all, because this quote list you made, doesn't even ask or tell the person that a hard-disk installation is the issue here. If it would be an Advanced Player question, your answers might be okay, but your answer suck, just as your savage attitude towards my answer. If you don't like it that I answered the Newbie, just don't post, and after a while the post will go to the second page. I say however, it is an important question, for every newbie, there is nothing wrong with explaining this on the first page op this DK1 mapmaking forum.

Your attitude sucks completely Metal Gear Rex, there is nothing more valid that I can say on it.
And it reflects not only in your posts, also I see this attitude back in your levels. I played (tested) them maps you placed on this forum. The few ones I liked, you decided to change later into boring buggy shit levels. Most of your maps suck in general, a complete waste of time. And I just say that, in order to make clear here for every one, that what I say about your levels without a portal, without any consideration on the time some one has to make to play your ignorant game experiments, that in my humble opinion have nothing to do with Dungeon Keeper, but consider only your ego boosting. And unsuccessful stealing efforts: a level without a Portal is no Dungeon Keeper, although you have stolen the engine for it.
:thief:

It is clear to me, that you accuse me of copying a post, that I wrote myself, because you are not able to explain anything to any one. I have done the hard-disk installation so many times, that I need no reference than my experience. But Metal Gear Rex, would merely copy some thing, than goes claim he wrote it himself. Not only that, there are several parts in the above tutorial, that I worked out together with Dzjeear, a level builder that makes great levels, a quality so high, that Metal Gear Rex will never achieve with his easy bully attitude, without a sane portal for understanding reality!
:eek:

MAX_CREATURES, CREATURE_POOL, TO DIFFICULT FOR METAL GEAR REX?

MGR meant that you copied that from some other thread. I recall just reading another post from you which basically said the exact same thing, meaning you copied yourself from one thread to here.

Also, you didn't answer any question that I didn't answer already. MGR didn't because that's unnecessary and redundant.

Also, like MGR said, STOP NECROPOSTING. All of the questions in the first post were already answered and you're doing little constructive here.

Also, "Size 2 yellow colored text makes me feel important." It's obnoxious and hard to read.