PDA

View Full Version : Global Server?

Madkill
September 7th, 2009, 04:13
Now, we have to use Hamachi because there is no Global Server to find people anymore(obviously).

I'm curious how much it would be to host up a new global server for Dungeon Keeper II, XWIS did it with Renegade (Meaning EA are Lenient on letting a third-party host up one of their games) and it has also been done on Freelancer.

A) How would this be possible?
B) Would this actually be possible?

dotted
September 7th, 2009, 11:09
Now, we have to use Hamachi because there is no Global Server to find people anymore(obviously).

I'm curious how much it would be to host up a new global server for Dungeon Keeper II, XWIS did it with Renegade (Meaning EA are Lenient on letting a third-party host up one of their games) and it has also been done on Freelancer.

A) How would this be possible?
B) Would this actually be possible?
I have sent an email to EA asking if they would be willing to let me host the master server, should get a response within the next 24 hours.

dk2player
September 7th, 2009, 14:14
yeah, but what if, hypathitcally speaking, you go offline permenly, or stops hosting. Shouldn't we have more than one host for that reason.

Ðârk Âñgêl
September 7th, 2009, 15:01
madkill you still have interest in playing dk2 online ?

dotted
September 7th, 2009, 15:05
yeah, but what if, hypathitcally speaking, you go offline permenly, or stops hosting. Shouldn't we have more than one host for that reason.

it depends, if i have to sign a NDA i obviously wont be able to hand out the software to anyone.

Madkill
September 7th, 2009, 17:21

Then he can pass it on to someone else who is willing to host. I'm sure there are plenty of people. :cool:

@DA - Only under certain conditions to make the online experience more fun.

Ðârk Âñgêl
September 8th, 2009, 19:56
i can smell your hint already.

dont worry about me :p
i´m not playing it online now.

dk2player
September 9th, 2009, 04:19
I thought you would if its not a 1v1

Ðârk Âñgêl
September 9th, 2009, 13:17
i might have said that many weeks ago :p

MaxHayman
September 13th, 2009, 22:03
Did Dungeon Keeper 2 ever have a master server? Wasnt it allways that you would hav to find a game like age of empires...you could have a seperate matchmaking system like gamespy.

dotted
September 13th, 2009, 22:05
Did Dungeon Keeper 2 ever have a master server? Wasnt it allways that you would hav to find a game like age of empires...you could have a seperate matchmaking system like gamespy.

No it had a master server

dotted
September 14th, 2009, 21:27
Greetings,

Thank you for contacting Electronic Arts.

Unfortunately at this time we are no longer looking for server providers for the game. Sadly as the game is no longer supported because of the age of the game we no longer have plans to offer this service.

I apologize for any disappointment or inconvenience that this causes you.

Thank you,
Don't worry, not giving up just yet.

dk2player
September 15th, 2009, 00:08
what's wrong with using hamachi as a "master" server for now.

dotted
September 15th, 2009, 00:48
Other than being a royal pain in the ass, and most importantly unable to act as a master server?

Madkill
September 15th, 2009, 01:45
We should make a petition to try and gain permission to host a master server ourselves.

dotted
September 15th, 2009, 02:07
We should make a petition to try and gain permission to host a master server ourselves.

Petitions have never been a successful tool

Ðârk Âñgêl
September 15th, 2009, 17:11
what's wrong with using hamachi as a "master" server for now.

if master server would exist again, many people would come to play dk2 again.
you could just go into the game and search for a match, so easy. without installing hamachi, joining or creating networks, pushing ham ip to the top and other crap. it would be like in old times.

Madkill
September 16th, 2009, 00:00
Petitions have never been a successful tool

I think a petition to allow us to host a master server is a bit different from most petitions which request a company to create or stop a game.

Its a petition for a fair cause and we wouldn't particularly be gaining profit from it. (Though I think people donate to keep the master server up and running)

dotted
September 16th, 2009, 01:33
I think a petition to allow us to host a master server is a bit different from most petitions which request a company to create or stop a game.

Its a petition for a fair cause and we wouldn't particularly be gaining profit from it. (Though I think people donate to keep the master server up and running)

Good thing is we may be able to reverse engineer the protocol, but that may take some time but all findings would then be put on the wiki so anyone will be able to implement a master server.

dk2player
September 19th, 2009, 01:27
Can't we just find the master server codes, and somehow use them to make a fake server that works like hamachi.

dotted
September 19th, 2009, 02:04
Can't we just find the master server codes, and somehow use them to make a fake server that works like hamachi.

there is no point if we make it work like hamachi. but yes the general idea is to figure out the codes.

dk2player
September 19th, 2009, 02:21
Any idea where they are. I thnk they may be in the .exe file

MaxHayman
September 19th, 2009, 07:49
Its not as easy as it seems :P

dk2player
September 19th, 2009, 15:27
Accually, when you look at it, its pretty easy compared to something like making nbk or wfto

MaxHayman
September 19th, 2009, 22:14
Yes, but its nearly been four years :P

dotted
September 20th, 2009, 04:04
Accually, when you look at it, its pretty easy compared to something like making nbk or wfto
You cant compare the 2 in difficulty imo. Fortuneatly i would think the DK2 protocol is somewhat simple, but trying to guess what the messages means (they are binary) is hard.

Ðârk Âñgêl
September 22nd, 2009, 15:19
i think ea has the server codes, dont they ? :p

dk2player
September 22nd, 2009, 15:32
Yeah, but they won't give them up, so we are tring to find out other ways to make it work.

Madkill
September 22nd, 2009, 18:35
Because, y'know, when you use something someone didn't want to give you it has absolutely no repercussions.

Also, I think there has been a misunderstanding in that email they sent you in return. Its almost as if they thought we would be hosting it for them, that's silly.

dotted
September 22nd, 2009, 23:10
Because, y'know, when you use something someone didn't want to give you it has absolutely no repercussions.

Also, I think there has been a misunderstanding in that email they sent you in return. Its almost as if they thought we would be hosting it for them, that's silly.

Effectively we would be hosting for them.

Madkill
September 23rd, 2009, 01:21
Yes but...

the game is no longer supported because of the age of the game we no longer have plans to offer this service.

dotted
September 23rd, 2009, 04:32
Yes but...
Unofficially ofc

dk2player
September 23rd, 2009, 05:21
Well, the Ea thing didn't work, ready to try something else.

elamre
September 27th, 2009, 14:00
so the main goal is getting up a global server by our selves, well what if we just all mail 'em and ask them for the code/application. this way we will have a win win situation, ea is being usefull again, and we have a server. anobody disagrees? :)

dotted
September 27th, 2009, 16:22
so the main goal is getting up a global server by our selves, well what if we just all mail 'em and ask them for the code/application. this way we will have a win win situation, ea is being usefull again, and we have a server. anobody disagrees? :)

We did and they said no

elamre
September 27th, 2009, 16:26
owh sorry, i read that u asked to get em back on, but not to retrieve code. probally a misread.
sorry again

hideinlight
October 2nd, 2009, 16:20
You guys could always use Gameranger, Dungeon Keeper 2 is already supported and it's a gaming platform meaning you can communitcate with each other.

Could also combine that with Xfire. No idea if it'll work with patch 1.73 though.

Kromeh
October 3rd, 2009, 04:46
Haha, I just got done hosting some game servers, so my machine is just sitting there all sad like. I could host a backup master server if you give me what I need :)

nebster
October 3rd, 2009, 11:21
Haha, I just got done hosting some game servers, so my machine is just sitting there all sad like. I could host a backup master server if you give me what I need :)

Hehe, that's the problem. We don't have the master server application or code