PDA

View Full Version : Download Dungeon Keeper 2 v1.3 here

Hapuga
September 7th, 2009, 18:37
Thread is now closed.

Go to gog.com, buy the DKII and apply the General Improvement Mod from here (http://keeperklan.com/threads/3417-General-Improvement-Mod-A-New-Unofficial-Patch-for-DK2). There is no more excuse to use pirated content as there is a working stable fix.

Let me know if any archives are broken/url not found. Enjoy!

P.S.

The parts in both downloading locations are the same. If you downloaded 10 parts from mirror one and it does not let you to download any more, simply proceed with 11,12,13 etc from mirror two, no need to redownload all the pack.

P.P.S.

Thanks to dotted, we now have a torrent version of the game! Seed ;)

P.P.P.S.

Added a Demonoid.com torrent. (second)
Peace.

P.P.P.P.S.
Removed all links. Read above.

Madkill
September 7th, 2009, 19:06
Do share. :D

dk2player
September 7th, 2009, 19:14
how do you make an older version of the game better than a newer version

Hapuga
September 7th, 2009, 19:19
It's not better, Its just working and has normal AI.

I actually never liked 1.7

Elites sux, they are to expensive to get. and your dungeon becomes messy.
Jack in the box? Did anyone ever built that nonsense?
"smart imps". Perhaps, too smart.
Hero gates? An ok thing, but can be easily avoided...
etc.

=)

Ok, I'll make a GMAIL acc and upload a rar there.

EDIT: gmail is a fail.

Duke Ragereaver
September 7th, 2009, 19:28
I assume the map editor doesn't work correctly with that version, or does it?

Hapuga
September 7th, 2009, 19:44
Oficial one? no, ull have to make a copy of your DK 1.7

EDIT:

Sending to the BOX. will be there in the nearest 5 hs.

Ðârk Âñgêl
September 8th, 2009, 18:41
heh, sounds cool.
but with 1.7 i can play in single mode 3 hours without a crash, too.
that doesnt promise multiplayer will work perfect, does it ?

anyway i would like to try it out, even if only for single player (because of ai).

just considering if i should take it in russian or english, russian would be better to understand for me, english would be better to learn more english :D

Synesthesia
September 8th, 2009, 18:50
Thanks for the upload, works great :D

Hopefully now I can play the game for more than 10 mins without it crashing!

Deflektor
September 9th, 2009, 04:23
At last, i've been craving for something like that! Gotta try that !

dk2player
September 9th, 2009, 15:35
good, but my computer can't open the files, can you compile the data from all of them into a zip file?

Synesthesia
September 9th, 2009, 15:43
You need to join the files with HJsplit.

Hapuga
September 12th, 2009, 10:28
Could someone stick this topic please?

Duke Ragereaver Edit: Done!

Jibbits
September 13th, 2009, 03:48
Do you know the team that did this?

Well wait it's an underground team haha I should think before I post.

Too bad, I wanted to know what method they used to modify the game.

Anyway I think if you knew them you would have asked how they modify ai ;)

Hapuga
September 13th, 2009, 08:03
of course :D

DragonsLover
September 13th, 2009, 08:12
Just a question : is it legal?

Krizzie
September 13th, 2009, 09:11
Can't download them, "user is out of bandwith" :(

can anyone upload it as one package btw?

Hapuga
September 13th, 2009, 10:14
Just a question : is it legal?

Yes. It is an abandonware, so you can get it free of charge. You can not resell it, however.

Can't download them, "user is out of bandwith"

can anyone upload it as one package btw?

Sorry, the upload limit is 25 megs per item. I can give you the torrent link, where I downloaded it originally, but I dont promise it still works.

P.S. CONGRADS! your post is 1000th post on the forum! :D

dotted
September 13th, 2009, 13:17
Yes. It is an abandonware, so you can get it free of charge. You can not resell it, however.

If EA comes after you abandonware is not something the court will take in consideration since its not a recognized term. So abandonware doesnt mean you are free to copy the game as you please, it means you are unlikely to get sued if you do.

nebster
September 13th, 2009, 13:53
Can you install this straight over the 1.7 patch?
My disc has 1.7 patch already built in

Hapuga
September 13th, 2009, 14:16
If EA comes after you abandonware is not something the court will take in consideration since its not a recognized term. So abandonware doesnt mean you are free to copy the game as you please, it means you are unlikely to get sued if you do.

(Laughs) If I'll count all pirated content I have ever downloaded, I'll have to go behind bars for like 1000 years.

Nobody makes you to download this, right?

1.73 patch is also illegal, cuz its code modification. Somehow you're still quiet about that fact.

Hapuga
September 13th, 2009, 14:16
Can you install this straight over the 1.7 patch?
My disc has 1.7 patch already built in

jist install to different location

dotted
September 13th, 2009, 15:46
(Laughs) If I'll count all pirated content I have ever downloaded, I'll have to go behind bars for like 1000 years.

Nobody makes you to download this, right?

1.73 patch is also illegal, cuz its code modification. Somehow you're still quiet about that fact.

I'm well aware of 1.73 being illegal, whats your point?

Hapuga
September 13th, 2009, 16:05
My point is: all we are doing is basically, a bit illegal.

dk2player
September 13th, 2009, 16:28
yeah, but as long as no one tells anybody, we can't get in any trouble.

Unless someone rats us out.

Krizzie
September 13th, 2009, 16:38
Stop being paranoid you guys! :lol:

Hapuga
September 13th, 2009, 17:03
Yeah, chill =) It's like smoking weed. Unless you do that once in a while or with friends - you're of no interest to anyone. When you become a pusher and start spreadin' shit around - thats a problem =)

So no worries.

Trass3r
October 1st, 2009, 03:26
Sorry, the upload limit is 25 megs per item. I can give you the torrent link, where I downloaded it originally, but I dont promise it still works.
So could you reupload it somewhere other than box?:)

Hapuga
October 2nd, 2009, 11:38
Sure, if you tell me where.

Trass3r
October 2nd, 2009, 16:50
Well don't know, I personally use uploaded.to but of course you can also choose another hoster ;)
megaupload.com is mostly quite fast in terms of download speed IIRC.

Hapuga
October 3rd, 2009, 09:58
Ok, I'm busy right now, I'll reupload it ASAP.

P.S. Its new month! So you have 10 GB of bandwidth to download!

Go grab it =)

cold fusion
October 18th, 2009, 01:51
Thanks for making this available!

Above you say, if you want to keep a previous installation of version 1.7, to "just install to different location". But when I execute autorun.exe for this version 1.3, the "Install" button is grayed out. Can I install it without uninstalling the previous version?

Edit: running windows XP sp3

Hapuga
October 18th, 2009, 10:25
Thanks for making this available!

Above you say, if you want to keep a previous installation of version 1.7, to "just install to different location". But when I execute autorun.exe for this version 1.3, the "Install" button is grayed out. Can I install it without uninstalling the previous version?

Edit: running windows XP sp3

Yes, you have to "explore" the CD, and run SETUP.EXE instead of AUTORUN. You'll skip the loading menu and proceed directly to installation.

cold fusion
October 18th, 2009, 15:45
Thanks that worked!

My first attempt to play, putting it in windows 98/ME compatibility mode and mounting the cd, didn't work. Got the "no disk in drive" error.

Does this version require the same tricky handling (http://www.404forums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=47) as the standard version 1.7?

It seems I need a nocd patch for version 1.3, which doesn't look readily available...

Or do I need to do something special when building the cd?

Hapuga
October 18th, 2009, 16:39
Thanks that worked!

My first attempt to play, putting it in windows 98/ME compatibility mode and mounting the cd, didn't work. Got the "no disk in drive" error.

Does this version require the same tricky handling (http://www.404forums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=47) as the standard version 1.7?

It seems I need a nocd patch for version 1.3, which doesn't look readily available...

Or do I need to do something special when building the cd?

Why do people make things more complicated than they are?

You do NOT need to mount it/have it on cd/whatever. It's cracked already. You do NOT need to set compatibility. Compatibility sucks so much that it must be the last thing to do, if all other methods fail. No compatibility, just install and play. I have XP sp3.

EDIT: you may have the game on cd/virtual, if you want to see the movies. or simply copy those to game folder in appropriate place. The points was, having it mounted does not determine your ability/inability to play.

cold fusion
October 18th, 2009, 17:13
Well, yeah, the first thing I tried was to just run it without compatibility mode and without the disc mounted - should have mentioned that. The program didn't run - nothing happened. This was with firewall turned off, just in case.

I'll keep working at it, since it seems to work fine for others.

Hapuga
October 18th, 2009, 17:33
This may be because your PC is too powerful. Legacy soft does not recognize high-end gear. Before starting up it performs a quick check, and if some values do not correspond to what it has, it crashes.

Disable hardware acceleration. This will greatly increase the chance for you to launch the game + the game will run smoother.
Set affinity of only one CPU. This also proven to be helpful.

If these tips wont help well try to think together how to help you.

Metal Gear Rex
October 18th, 2009, 17:44
Heh, I already have3 a v1.3 crack. You don't need any of that crap, just the folder and done. It'll run on any computer that already can run DK2 normally. My brothers made it so they could play multiplayer together when they were younger.

cold fusion
October 19th, 2009, 18:25
@Hapuga: Tried disable hardware acceleration (audio+video) and set processor affinity to one cpu, no change.

@Metal Gear Rex: Do you have a link so I can try it?

Metal Gear Rex
October 19th, 2009, 18:48
It is 263 Megabits so you'll have to wait a while.

Lunanoko
November 10th, 2009, 18:11
Mmmm, this AI is quite hard now!

By the way... The game still crashed at the moment I exited my Skirmish game... :(

Hapuga
November 10th, 2009, 21:32
Well, that's lesser evil, at least you've had the game finished =D

Dark_Omega MK2
November 16th, 2009, 17:18
It works pretty well for me... but i have one complain... it has a maximum resolution of 800x600... and thats not big enough for me... :(

Madkill
November 16th, 2009, 18:29
It works pretty well for me... but i have one complain... it has a maximum resolution of 800x600... and thats not big enough for me... :(

Run it in windowed mode?

psycopath
November 18th, 2009, 19:39
How do you change the language to English?

P.S I was going to complain it wouldn't work (Winrar being fussy as usual) but I forgot to download the 15th file :p.

Hapuga
November 18th, 2009, 20:43
when you do the installation it lets you to choose between russian and english. (funny thing, the wrote "russian" with 3 S'ses =D)

Madkill
November 19th, 2009, 00:58
My installation was all in ?'s and russian, but thankfully I've installed this game so many god damn times I didn't really struggle with navigation :spider:

Hapuga
November 19th, 2009, 01:12
Yeah, thats because you dont have russian language pack.

Well, i guess its pretty intuitive anyway.

psycopath
November 20th, 2009, 17:43
Thanks for the 1.3 version, (I wish they had implemented the functionality to be able to play already completed levels, oh well) the only problem is that I cannot see anything in-game and barely anything in the main menu.

Hapuga
November 20th, 2009, 19:25
please, explain what do you mean by "I cannot see anything in-game and barely anything in the main menu. "

Merdera
January 12th, 2010, 07:39
This version runs great on my vista pc, thank you very much for it, at last i dont need an old pc with 98 to play dk2.

But one problem remains, many maps wont work on 1.3, and converting them, didn't succeed here, is there a place somewhere, where you can download specific or converted DK v 1.3 maps ?

Hapuga
January 12th, 2010, 08:55
Hm... Well, if you tell me the map you'd want to convert, tell me the name, I'll convert it for you.

Merdera
January 12th, 2010, 09:04
That is a great offer, but it wanted to play Dk2player's Campaing 1 & 2 as well as the maps that are in his 1.7 zip file.

And i realize that are a lot of maps, to ask for conversion...

So i can fully understand if you dont wanna do it, but maybe you can subscribe once more how-to convert the maps.

Is every map convertable ?

Hapuga
January 12th, 2010, 09:44
Okay, mainly, reread thoughtfully what I have written in the converting maps thread.

Basically, I expect that Dk2player has included elites in many of his maps, he loves them :D

elites do not work with 1.3
maiden does not work with 1.3
her spells do not work.
jackinthebox does not work.

check for that stuff and you'll probably be okay.

write some maps that you really want to play and I'll convert them later today, it is a fast process once you understand how it's done.

Merdera
January 12th, 2010, 10:12
So if there is an elite(or any of the other items mentioned by you) in a map, it will never work on 1.3 ? (or can you get rid of these elements in the conversion?)

Hapuga
January 12th, 2010, 14:27
yes, reread the conversion thread please.

You have to delete these elements.

Purewolfie
January 12th, 2010, 23:11
Clicked on the spell 'Create Imp' on level 2, and the game crashed, no error, just disappeared, starting to think I should give up on DK2 and stick to the first :P

Before that, it crashed on level 3 I think it was.. clicked on the trap 'Sentry' and the game did the same thing and crashed without warning :(

Mollematen
May 12th, 2010, 22:08
Hello, my first post after I discovered this awesome forum yesterday..

I've just downloaded the game version 1.3 from this thread..

But it looks just like my orginal game with only 4 skirmish maps..
And there is no "1.3" where the "1.7" stands in the 1.7 version.

So my question is if I have installed it right?. Or if there is somewhere a patch lying I have to install too.

Oh and if someone is having a few maps to play the AI working with this version I would be glad to accept them :-)

DragonsLover
May 12th, 2010, 23:16
Well... if Dungeon Keeper 2 v1.3 fails, you can still get Dungeon Keeper 2 Silver Edition (http://dungeon-keeper.net/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=79&func=fileinfo&id=264) that we are offering on DK.net! :D

Mollematen
May 13th, 2010, 09:06
I already have that version of the game but finds it boring because of the AI lack of abilities..

I can try to explain what i've done so far:

Download the 20 mirrors and join them with the help from HJSPLIT
Extrack the files into a folder - Find the autorun and begin to install the game.
When done I go to where I've just installed the game and push the DKII.EXE
It opens the game just fine but seems like it's version 1.0

bErik
June 1st, 2010, 06:40
Can someone help me get the modified-by-crazy-russians (stable) 1.3 version? Torrent is really slow, one seeder and like 3 kb/s. The downloads worked allright untill i hit the bandwidth limit (missing 015 - 020).

Edit: Disregard that, thanks go to whoever started seeding an hour ago :)

Keeper_Infernal
June 20th, 2010, 13:28
for some reson wen i try to open this version i get a black screen wite a mesage that the program has some issus and its have to close.. any help pleas? :(

Keeper_Infernal
June 21st, 2010, 16:13
feedbacks?? :(

DragonsLover
June 28th, 2010, 01:07
Please stop double posting.

If nobody answers, then perhaps they have no idea.

Pyle99
May 30th, 2011, 18:05
When i extract files, I can't play anyway, Launching DK2.exe resulting in Don't Send... :( Help people!

Hapuga
June 5th, 2011, 08:19
Install.

ZaDrugLord
June 21st, 2011, 12:31
Erm, just a question
I must fully install the game and it will install to 1.3 ?
Cause all I've downloaded from this thread is an install for DK2.
Isn't there just a patch?
Also, on another note, when I try to install, the autorun runs, i click on the install, but it doesn't do anything, the setup doesn't start, any help here?
Thanks

EDIT: I'm running windows 7 32 bit

Hapuga
June 21st, 2011, 13:29
Strange, I had no problems with the autorun. Yes, it installs a genuine 1.3 version.

Skarok
June 21st, 2011, 13:49
I have a problem with this download (or 1.3 generally) too. A few months ago my orginal CD worked, but then it gave me errors every time I tried to play it, even after i updated it to 1.7. I downloaded lots of 1.3 versions, but non of these worked. The weird thing is, that versions that are already 1.7 works without any problems. i can install 1.3, but after I start it the screens turns black. After that it normally starts the intro but in 1.3 versions it simply went back to the desktop. There isn't even an error message. Is it possible that this has something to do with the internet explorer? One of my other games didn't worked too. And I know that there is something with the IE that this game doesn't work, but I don't know if this can happen to DK2 too.

natchoguy
June 21st, 2011, 16:31
I've never downloaded files like this , do I just download all the parts and dump them all in one folder?

ZaDrugLord
June 21st, 2011, 18:51
I've never downloaded files like this , do I just download all the parts and dump them all in one folder?

Yes, download all parts, put em in a folder, then use HJsplit (there's a comment with the download at page 2 ) to unite the archives, then just normally extract.

EDIT:My past problem has been solved.
Seems that when I closed Chrome, setup magically started.
After 3 hours of searching for the fix, I'm just glad it works and hope I get a harder time from the AI

natchoguy
June 22nd, 2011, 20:58
when I try to play (in-game); I see only black, but the toolbars are visible

kyle
June 22nd, 2011, 22:24
Turn off hardware acceleration in the options.

natchoguy
June 23rd, 2011, 01:21
how do add more maps; there is only one "maps" folder but it doesn't work. Got the game running though

OneLastBattle
July 17th, 2012, 21:16
Wow, the AI in 1.3 is actually capable of causing problems and doesn't get into retarded imp wars without going anywhere like the 1.7 AI did. Amazing!

However, there are a bunch of custom maps that only work for 1.7. That pisses me off because I think the improved AI would vastly improve the experiences of those maps. If you could convert them, they are the maps found here:

http://keeperklan.com/threads/579-Maps
http://keeperklan.com/threads/1866-Yomegami-s-Map-Thread
http://keeperklan.com/threads/1897-Draraks-empire-campaign

Otherwise, is there a link for a 1.3 to 1.7 converter? I'd make a backup for 1.3 and just play those maps with 1.7. My (ancient) retail version is some retarded version like 1.4 or something like that so it would be more convenient to make a copy and "upgrade" from there.

Metal Gear Rex
July 17th, 2012, 23:54
Wow, the AI in 1.3 is actually capable of causing problems and doesn't get into retarded imp wars without going anywhere like the 1.7 AI did. Amazing!

(Keeper) AI in 1.51 is the best if I recall correctly, though I believe 1.3 is more stable but there might not be much of a difference in that regard if there is one.

Otherwise, is there a link for a 1.3 to 1.7 converter? I'd make a backup for 1.3 and just play those maps with 1.7. My (ancient) retail version is some retarded version like 1.4 or something like that so it would be more convenient to make a copy and "upgrade" from there.

Well if you had an Editor, you could do the reverse using this guide (http://keeperklan.com/threads/447-Converting-form-1-7-to-1-3).

OneLastBattle
July 18th, 2012, 03:48
Afraid I don't, though if you have a link to the editor that uses that method then I'd happily get to work on it on my own :D

Hapuga
July 18th, 2012, 06:49
The AI in 1.51 trains its creatures better, and builds higher tier rooms like temple, cp and tt, so u don't end up fighting goblins, flies warlocks and trolls 90% of the time.

To improve your gameplay even further: give AI a gem seam somewhere in a reachable area, and at the same time, outside of the expansion area. A good place is one of the walls of the dungeon heart (just make sure not to block one of the expansion corridors!)
To improve your gameplay even further, give the AI a hatchery and a lair. AI sometimes stumbles on those two rooms (especially hatchery), which delays or even freezes his expansion.

Now, if you REALLY want to have a hard time. You've asked for it.
Turn the mission into the SINGLE PLAYER mission (campaign type). You will have to run the mission with a flag on the shortcut. A small inconvenience, but its totally worth it. Why? Because in SINGLE PLAYER you can customize AI behaviour (!!!). This means that you can set the AI to attack you on 5th minute of gameplay, attacking on 2 different positions, and attacking with full force. Or, you may set the ai to attack you when all creatures are at level 4. + give the AI some rooms and maybe creatures and gold, and get ur ass kicked for good!

DK2 can be really challenging and fun if you know how to play it :)

OneLastBattle
July 18th, 2012, 15:36
Now that does sound pretty awesome. After years of being stuck with the retarded AI of 1.7 and its imp wars (or whatever I upgraded my 1.4ish to, which I think might have actually been 1.6), even 1.3 is a gigantic step up. If I could convert those single player maps to 1.3 I'd be able to actually get back into DKII for a while.

Now, 1.51 sounds good, but my abilities at modding/mapping so far as DKII go are basically nonexistent. Would the editor trick work the same for 1.51 as it did for 1.3, or would the maps be cross-compatible? Do you have a link for the patch that upgrades this version of 1.3 (which I got from the torrent) to 1.51? Also, if I could know where a good editor is so I can begin converting maps myself that'd be great :D

Anyway, 1.3 is probably sufficient if its more stable as the maps in question basically start the rival keepers off with decent rooms anyway.

Hapuga
July 18th, 2012, 19:45
Now that does sound pretty awesome. After years of being stuck with the retarded AI of 1.7 and its imp wars (or whatever I upgraded my 1.4ish to, which I think might have actually been 1.6), even 1.3 is a gigantic step up. If I could convert those single player maps to 1.3 I'd be able to actually get back into DKII for a while.

Now, 1.51 sounds good, but my abilities at modding/mapping so far as DKII go are basically nonexistent. Would the editor trick work the same for 1.51 as it did for 1.3, or would the maps be cross-compatible? Do you have a link for the patch that upgrades this version of 1.3 (which I got from the torrent) to 1.51? Also, if I could know where a good editor is so I can begin converting maps myself that'd be great :D

Anyway, 1.3 is probably sufficient if its more stable as the maps in question basically start the rival keepers off with decent rooms anyway.

1.3 is more stable compared to 1.7. 1.51 is as stable as 1.3 I don't remember when I last crashed on 1.51. After 2+ hours of game you see how it begins to lag (memory leaks), so if you are in the middle of something and it started to lag (a warning sign), save, ,exit, and restart the game from previous save :)

If you have an original DK2 1.3 (original disk copy), Here (http://keeperklan.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=83) is the patch.

There are also 3 bonus packs for DK 2 (very few know of them) which include some nice maps. You may find them Here (http://www.patches-scrolls.de/dungeon_keeper2.php)

There are 2 versions of the editor. It is a little tedious, but that's how it works. There is no lair/hatchery in "rooms" sections in Editor 2.0 (bug), so if you want to add those as a terrain - use previous version of the editor (1.2 or smth). Other than that - use 2.0 its pretty stable.

Now, in order to modify levels - there s a trick. You need 2 versions of DK2. There are 2 steps.

1. If you want to modify terrain - go to DK2 1.7/data/editor - and work with a terrain. The reason is - the editor is designed for the 1.7 version. On 1.3-1.5 the interface is messed up.
2. After you've finished with the terrain, use my guide (http://keeperklan.com/threads/447-Converting-form-1-7-to-1-3) to convert the map into 1.3-1.5 compatible map.

Here are the editors: 2.0 (http://www.gamefront.com/files/service/thankyou?id=9562307) and unofficial RC3 (http://keeper.lubie.org/html/dk2_tools_mapedit.php) (working lair/hatchery)

And you're set. Have questions? ask away.

OneLastBattle
July 18th, 2012, 20:25
1.3 is more stable compared to 1.7. 1.51 is as stable as 1.3 I don't remember when I last crashed on 1.51. After 2+ hours of game you see how it begins to lag (memory leaks), so if you are in the middle of something and it started to lag (a warning sign), save, ,exit, and restart the game from previous save :)

If you have an original DK2 1.3 (original disk copy), Here (http://keeperklan.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=83) is the patch.

There are also 3 bonus packs for DK 2 (very few know of them) which include some nice maps. You may find them Here (http://www.patches-scrolls.de/dungeon_keeper2.php)

There are 2 versions of the editor. It is a little tedious, but that's how it works. There is no lair/hatchery in "rooms" sections in Editor 2.0 (bug), so if you want to add those as a terrain - use previous version of the editor (1.2 or smth). Other than that - use 2.0 its pretty stable.

Now, in order to modify levels - there s a trick. You need 2 versions of DK2. There are 2 steps.

1. If you want to modify terrain - go to DK2 1.7/data/editor - and work with a terrain. The reason is - the editor is designed for the 1.7 version. On 1.3-1.5 the interface is messed up.
2. After you've finished with the terrain, use my guide (http://keeperklan.com/threads/447-Converting-form-1-7-to-1-3) to convert the map into 1.3-1.5 compatible map.

Here are the editors: 2.0 (http://www.gamefront.com/files/service/thankyou?id=9562307) and unofficial RC3 (http://keeper.lubie.org/html/dk2_tools_mapedit.php) (working lair/hatchery)

And you're set. Have questions? ask away.

The 1.51 link leads to an html file download, which in turn leads to what appears to be a broken webpage. The three bonus packs I actually have on my original disk, (Which I've had for something like 11 years), but its very scratched up and it doesn't patch properly due to being some weird version.

Besides that, the only thing I need the editor for is converting maps to 1.3/1.51, specifically the aforementioned ones. I downloaded the 2.0 editor and tried your method, but I'm unsure of three things:

(A) How do I edit the global data? So far as I could tell I had to edit the map proper, not the specific data file
(B) To save in the first place, a dungeon heart has to be placed. Is this a sign I'm doing something wrong from the start?
(C) Not sure what you mean by 1.3 and 1.7 map folders, since I have everything in the same map folder.

Would I have to actually remake the entire map tile by tile to make it compatible?

EDIT: Also, I have a whole bunch of maps that are sitting in the maps folder that I know should normally work (as I played them back when I played DKII on the previous install), but aren't appearing on the skirmish screen. I'm wondering whether this is some quirk of this cracked/downloaded version, or if its some problem with my computer, or if its because they're all 1.7 or whatever maps that aren't compatible.

Hapuga
July 18th, 2012, 23:00
Let me try again.

The map consists of several files that store variables, map terrain data, triggers and other stuff. There are 5-6 files, I don't remember. The problem with compatibility is that the (mapName).kld, the "header" file as I call it, is different for 1.3-1.5 and 1.7 versions of the game. The same goes for the (mapName)Globals.kld file, which has all global variables. These 2 files cause all the trouble. What we are doing - we are NOT copying those 2 files in our DK2 1.3/1.5 map folder. That's why you need to create the empty map with 1.3/1.5 editor! You will use the header file for 1.5 with 1.7 map data files.

A template looks like this: Imagine that the LEFT is your 1.7 map that you want to convert, and RIGHT is the converted result.

(mapName).kwd (1.7) --------------X---- [you create a NEW mapName.kwd file in 1.5] ---------> (mapName).kwd (1.5)
(mapName)Triggers.kld (1.7) ------>---- [you move the file] --------------------------------------> (mapName)Triggers.kld (1.5)
(mapName)Map.kld (1.7) ---------->---- [you move the file] --------------------------------------> (mapName)Map.kld (1.5)
(mapName)Players.kld (1.7) ------>---- [you move the file] --------------------------------------> (mapName)Players.kld (1.5)
(mapName)Things.kld (1.7) ------->---- [you move the file] --------------------------------------> (mapName)Things.kld (1.5)
(mapName)Globals.kld (1.7) ------X---- [you create a new Globals file in 1.5] -----------------> (mapName)Globals.kld (1.5)

Note, that you need to actually EDIT globals if and only if the map has modified Globals in first hand (creature/room/spell parameters). 98% of all DK2 map makers never touch Globals.
If the game prompts you to create a DH - do it, do whatever you want - those files will be overwritten anyway. Now you understand why.

By 1.3 and 1.7 map folders I mean that you actually need 2 copies of DK2. In DK2 1.7 you edit the terrain, in DK2 1.3-1.5 you create the .kwd/globals file, and edit them.

Even if the map is 1.7 it will still appear in your map folder, it will crash on start thats it. So you either have to enable a "skirmish" tag in the editor for the map, or they are in a wrong folder.

Also - if you're planning on a better AI with 1.5 - get a good copy of DK2. Patch will not install on cracked copy.

OneLastBattle
July 18th, 2012, 23:26
So far as 1.51 goes, I have to say I'm pleased with this version of 1.3 for the time being. My original version is still around, but it works a bit weird so maybe I'll get to that later.

Back to converting maps, I feel like a bloody idiot because I still don't quite have it, so I'll go through it step by step:

-I have the 1.7 maps. I started with Fort Stillwater, a map from MeinCookie, and 01. First conquest by Skarok.
-I copy and paste the 5 files that aren't the "header" or globals into a "conversion" folder for easy access
-I open up the editor, make a "template" map with just Keeper 1's DH, name it the aforementioned title ("Fort Stillwater" or "01. First conquest"), and save it. I can tell it successfully saved with the right name since it asked if I wanted to override the files and make a globals file too)
-Here, I SHOULD replace the "meat" of the files by bringing back the old ones. However, I discovered that apparently the editor isn't saving things properly. I deleted the old stuff, but even when I saved the new file it didn't produce anything except an "invisible" file only visible to the editing program. In turn, this means that "replacing" the old files without deleting the "header" means its simply invisible on the skirmish screen.

Any idea what the problem is?

Hapuga
July 19th, 2012, 17:57
So far as 1.51 goes, I have to say I'm pleased with this version of 1.3 for the time being. My original version is still around, but it works a bit weird so maybe I'll get to that later.

Back to converting maps, I feel like a bloody idiot because I still don't quite have it, so I'll go through it step by step:

-I have the 1.7 maps. I started with Fort Stillwater, a map from MeinCookie, and 01. First conquest by Skarok.
-I copy and paste the 5 files that aren't the "header" or globals into a "conversion" folder for easy access
-I open up the editor, make a "template" map with just Keeper 1's DH, name it the aforementioned title ("Fort Stillwater" or "01. First conquest"), and save it. I can tell it successfully saved with the right name since it asked if I wanted to override the files and make a globals file too)
-Here, I SHOULD replace the "meat" of the files by bringing back the old ones. However, I discovered that apparently the editor isn't saving things properly. I deleted the old stuff, but even when I saved the new file it didn't produce anything except an "invisible" file only visible to the editing program. In turn, this means that "replacing" the old files without deleting the "header" means its simply invisible on the skirmish screen.

Any idea what the problem is?

Order of actions is wrong. Use logic. You copy the files, then create a new map with the same name, save and overwrite the files that you just copied.

First, create a map with the same name in 1.3.
Then copy the content files.
Done!

When you save the map, the program creates 6 files for you in the maps folder. If you don't get those 6 files, you are doing something wrong.

OneLastBattle
July 19th, 2012, 19:49
Order of actions is wrong. Use logic. You copy the files, then create a new map with the same name, save and overwrite the files that you just copied.

First, create a map with the same name in 1.3.
Then copy the content files.
Done!

When you save the map, the program creates 6 files for you in the maps folder. If you don't get those 6 files, you are doing something wrong.

Something is seriously wrong here.

I tried many different methods. I tried the one you did (overriding, then replacing with files from separate folder), I tried making a brand new copy to see if it even saved right (it does), I even tried saving without overriding to see if it shows up.

After all attempts, after I "save" a file, it ceases to exist on the skirmish screen. Regardless of whether I keep the "false" renamed one featuring just one keeper's dungeon heart or whether I replace all files except the "title" and "globals", it doesn't appear on the skirmish screen. To make things worse, the first two maps I tried this on (the first 2 Drarak campaign maps) cease to exist even IF I bring back every single file from the original download (if only to see it on the skirmish screen, knowing I can't run it). It's uncanny.

Hapuga
July 19th, 2012, 21:17
Something is seriously wrong here.

I tried many different methods. I tried the one you did (overriding, then replacing with files from separate folder), I tried making a brand new copy to see if it even saved right (it does), I even tried saving without overriding to see if it shows up.

After all attempts, after I "save" a file, it ceases to exist on the skirmish screen. Regardless of whether I keep the "false" renamed one featuring just one keeper's dungeon heart or whether I replace all files except the "title" and "globals", it doesn't appear on the skirmish screen. To make things worse, the first two maps I tried this on (the first 2 Drarak campaign maps) cease to exist even IF I bring back every single file from the original download (if only to see it on the skirmish screen, knowing I can't run it). It's uncanny.

After you copy everything, try opening the editor and in the.... Umm... forgot the tab... Variables? There is a tab, where you should mark the level as "skirmish". If it is not displayed, that tab is not marked. Try that.

I'd make a step-by-step screenshot instruction, but my laptop died a week ago, and I have no way to get to DK2.

OneLastBattle
July 19th, 2012, 21:37
I tried that for three of the ones I "converted". The first two both had it checked off, but haven't appeared even if I put the fresh installs on, which is kind of odd.

The third I checked it off, whereupon the editor crashed and any attempt to open the map results in the editor crashing.

Hapuga
July 19th, 2012, 22:48
I tried that for three of the ones I "converted". The first two both had it checked off, but haven't appeared even if I put the fresh installs on, which is kind of odd.

The third I checked it off, whereupon the editor crashed and any attempt to open the map results in the editor crashing.

I won't be able to effectively help you till Tuesday, when I finally get a new laptop. Don't embarrass yourself with it now, just enjoy the game :) I will make a short screenshot step-by-step manual later.

OneLastBattle
July 22nd, 2012, 22:09
Well, I don't see what the problem could be, so I guess I'll see if I made some dumb mistake with the editor when you get that new laptop. I could just upload my "fixed" versions and see if you can identify the problem or else if its just my copy of DKII not reading it.

Besides that,

-I installed my "regular" DK2 to compare how things worked
-Turns out it starts with patch 1.3, but using the "patch" included patches it to 1.61, which adds a bunch of cool maps while making the AI retarded and making the game crash on my comp within about 2 minutes of loading up
-I transferred the "working" 1.61 maps to my 1.3 copy from here and the maps worked without problem but (A) The AI of 1.3 handles these maps with its own style of retardation; on The Pass it cannot comprehend that it can't destroy gem seams, spending the entire map trying to mine it out to clear room for a treasury; on Siege it doesn't get any gold, whereupon all of its hero units desert (I tried stealing the portal and deleting the bridge, but the AI was sharp as ever when it came to micromanagement and their far larger army proceeded to beat my ass). The 1.61 AI actually averts the problem on Siege, but unfortunately the map crashes so fast that it really doesn't make a difference. On almost all of the other "new" maps, the AI has a tendency to build a functional/semi-functional dungeon, run out of gold, and sit around waiting to be put down because it can't find more gold.
-Also, the 1.51 patch you provided me is just an html page, not an executable. If you have a 1.61 to 1.51 downgrade that'd be great, but barring that I could just reinstall my hard copy and upgrade to 1.51 if you have a link.

Hapuga
July 22nd, 2012, 23:31
Well, I don't see what the problem could be, so I guess I'll see if I made some dumb mistake with the editor when you get that new laptop. I could just upload my "fixed" versions and see if you can identify the problem or else if its just my copy of DKII not reading it.

Besides that,

-I installed my "regular" DK2 to compare how things worked
-Turns out it starts with patch 1.3, but using the "patch" included patches it to 1.61, which adds a bunch of cool maps while making the AI retarded and making the game crash on my comp within about 2 minutes of loading up
-I transferred the "working" 1.61 maps to my 1.3 copy from here and the maps worked without problem but (A) The AI of 1.3 handles these maps with its own style of retardation; on The Pass it cannot comprehend that it can't destroy gem seams, spending the entire map trying to mine it out to clear room for a treasury; on Siege it doesn't get any gold, whereupon all of its hero units desert (I tried stealing the portal and deleting the bridge, but the AI was sharp as ever when it came to micromanagement and their far larger army proceeded to beat my ass). The 1.61 AI actually averts the problem on Siege, but unfortunately the map crashes so fast that it really doesn't make a difference. On almost all of the other "new" maps, the AI has a tendency to build a functional/semi-functional dungeon, run out of gold, and sit around waiting to be put down because it can't find more gold.
-Also, the 1.51 patch you provided me is just an html page, not an executable. If you have a 1.61 to 1.51 downgrade that'd be great, but barring that I could just reinstall my hard copy and upgrade to 1.51 if you have a link.

For patch, use Google. I don't remember where I found it, and I cannot access my external HD. I may reupload it in a few days.
As mentioned before, AI in DK2 is not very good, and needs a lot of extra tweaking and fixing in each level individually. It is possible to get it to a really enjoyable level with 1.3 or 1.5, however. I had about 5-8 official levels redone where I had very good AI performance. I may redo them again when I get the laptop (tomorrow).
As also stated before, the AI of 1.5 is slightly better on development, so I would recommend it. Other than that, if you are interested, I will teach you how to detect obvious "flaws" in maps and eliminate them, so AI has no roadblocks.

OneLastBattle
July 24th, 2012, 16:11
Fixing the maps for the AI would be great, but it would probably be best to learn how to even get 1.7 maps converted first :P

OneLastBattle
August 1st, 2012, 16:05
ah, is that tutorial gonna be up soon? I tried the maps in 1.7 and the dumb AI was the least of my problems; stupid game crashed every five minutes!

OneLastBattle
October 18th, 2012, 20:43
bump

Xalxitz
October 3rd, 2013, 11:24
Would you recommend patching this 1.3 Version to 1.51 with the offical patch?

I really want the 1.51 AI. :D
Or would you recommend just straight up using 1.51?
(would be great if you could recommend a site to download a nice and stable version)

Hapuga
October 5th, 2013, 04:43
I am honestly surprised that this thread is still alive. Like, really. I made this thread back in the day when I myself was like many, searching for a version of DKII that would not have the bugs of 1.7 and also work on modern hardware. This thread is back from the day when I had windows XP. Now everyone uses Win7/8 which have amazing backwards compatibility, and DKII runs without any problems on any machine (almost, there are some rare exceptions, like early 64 bit architecture machines that would not support old games).

Yes, Everyone should definitely go to gog.com, buy a copy of 1.7, and apply General Improvement Mod. You will have best of both worlds - features of 1.7 and good AI of 1.51.