PDA

View Full Version : Problem with playing created maps

Majik
September 8th, 2010, 16:02
Greeting fellow dungeon keepers,

Recently i tried to have a dabble in making my own map for some fun and chaos, i made th emap, made the buildings required heart and such, saved it too the folder, and ticked the boxes that are required too play it ( mutilplayer and skirmish ).

but when i load up DK2, click on skirmish, my map doesnt seem too apeear for some reason, ive tried fiddling around with it for a while but unsure as what is causing the problem. The version i am currently using are DK2 v1.7 and DK editor v2.0.

Duke_Jebawe
September 8th, 2010, 18:06
I don't have the editor installed on this pc, but there should be a map setting somewhere in the editor that lets you play the game in skirmish or multiplayer.

DragonsLover
September 8th, 2010, 20:06
Make sure that the level files are stored inside the Data\Editor\Maps folder of the game. If it's already the case, then I don't know. It should be there.

Majik
September 8th, 2010, 20:14
Make sure that the level files are stored inside the Data\Editor\Maps folder of the game. If it's already the case, then I don't know. It should be there.

hmmm the plot thickens, its saved through all of that too the location, yet nothing seems to appear when i load it up on dk2, silly game :p

thank you for the replies though!

DragonsLover
September 8th, 2010, 20:26
Perhaps the name of the map is inappropriate or too long? Perhaps it requires a thumbnail (which would surprise me)?

Majik
September 8th, 2010, 22:16
I've made sure too keep the names of the maps short, such as calling it Gems.

Could be something i'm doing wrong while creating it, run through of what i do is;

Open up a new one, made it 80x80, i then added the players dungeon heart along with 4 imps, then i added 3 other dungeon hearts for the Computer AI, along with the 4 imps again, i made sure to tick the box on the keeper menu on the side too make them listed as AI. Then give each a portal for them too claim.

Then i give them their money source, a single block of gem save it as Gems.kwd.

could it be something with the way i'm doing it i'm missing a vital part out by any chance?

Hapuga
September 9th, 2010, 11:57
Majik, please, post your map here. I will look into it. later today.

Majik
September 9th, 2010, 13:51
I seem too of stumbled across what i think is the problem, when i save the actual map file itself, the editor says it saves it into the data/editer/maps location, but when i actually open the file again going through my computer, outside of the editor, it's not actually there, what happens is that it's being saved as a shortcut to it, rather than saving it as the map file.

of course... this could be a whole load of gibberish and im making a fool of myself, so sorry if i am haha :o

Duke_Jebawe
September 9th, 2010, 14:28
Are you running Vista or XP? If so, you have run run the editor as administrator, or the editor can't save in you programs folder.

Hapuga
September 9th, 2010, 15:39
just post the map.

Majik
September 9th, 2010, 15:52
and the problem is complete haha, damn always the simplist of things grr, well thank you for all the help you have all given me, hopefully now i can get round too making some decent maps and having a ton o fun.

Again, thank you for your patience and help you given me :)

Hapuga
September 9th, 2010, 17:24
well, good luck =-)

DragonsLover
September 9th, 2010, 23:59
Are you running Vista or XP? If so, you have run run the editor as administrator, or the editor can't save in you programs folder.

XP doesn't have that. There's no option to run a program as an admin.

Duke_Jebawe
September 15th, 2010, 16:35
You're right, I meant to type "Vista or 7". My bad.

dangleberries
April 27th, 2011, 19:09

o hello genius!!! works for me now too!

flynn
December 29th, 2011, 00:18
guys i really need a hand with this problem with the saves as well. first off i know nothing about computors really so i need guides for everything but i managed to download/install DK2 and the editor and create a map. but. BUT. i saved my map and it wont send to my game, i looked and there is a little padlock over my image of the map when i save it but the others do not have that and i do not know how to get it to work I REALLY NEED SOME HELP PLEASE.

DragonsLover
December 30th, 2011, 23:04
It's really a matter of running the editor and the game as an administrator. Right-click on both .exe files and select "Properties". Then, on the "Compatibility" tab, check "Run as an administrator".

darkkingkongman
February 22nd, 2013, 12:43
Make sure you run the Editor as an Administrtor before creating any maps, and be sure to do the same for the game. Hope this helps it worked for me.