PDA

View Full Version : Sorry to come barging in here like this.....

DonJoe
September 15th, 2010, 20:05
....especially since I'm not a part of your project. I would however wish you the best of luck, it truely is the good fight you're fighting, and it's great to see WFTO back and up in arms after a period of reduced activity.

I must admit that I'm a big fan of Synesthesia's concept art, and have been eying it since a while back. Recently I had to get myself reaquanted with 3ds max, and instead of doing the usual boring tutorials I thought I'd do something a little different. It's not completely done, but I thought I'd share. It's unfortunately a little high poly, so I doubt you can do much with it as is, but consider it free eye candy.

If, by the way, you're interested in the moddels, they're yours. I claim no copyright on it, since it's no more then an excercise.

Good luck once again!

http://www.pdportraits.co.uk/index_files/Lib3x3.jpg
http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/1931/libmidpoly1024.jpg
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/7590/lib2.jpg
That low poly floor is driving me insane. Built it up wrong, so I'm going to end up redoing it. Blessign in disguise though, cause a rebuild of that is all the stand in between me and resizing the room into whatever I want it to be.

Edit: Slightly refined render.

A New Room
September 15th, 2010, 20:19
That really is an amazingly good piece of work you have there, I mean I give syn his credit for the design, but I'm still very much in awe and kind of want to just sit here staring at it. I tip my hat to you sir/madam :)

Blutonium
September 16th, 2010, 09:47
a High Quality modeler......

using 3dsmax.....

building Dungeon Rooms..........

OMG!!!!!!!!!!

Please tell me you have come to save me and be my second man in charge of Rendering an awesome intro Cinematic?

Want to be part of the Project? You don't need to Worry about Texturing or anything like that, just the Modeling of a few rooms in the cinematic?

wattaya say Joe?

DonJoe
September 16th, 2010, 12:13
*blinks*

um..............

..............okey.

I'm at a bit of a weird juncture right now, I'm going to be pretty busy until mid november, but once mid november has rolled around there's a period of planned unemployment (brrrr...sounds dirty) due to moving countries.

So yeah, why not.

Texturing shouldnt be to big a problem either, I just suck massively at uvw mapping complicated models. But photoshop is the linchpin of my work, so meh, we'll have to see.

That said though, I'm not particularly creative. I'm better at exectution then I am with comming up with new idea's. So any drawings, regardless of quality, are hugely appreciated.

Epic, I've always wondered what it would be like to go near infinate poly. Looking foreward to working with you then. :)

Blutonium
September 16th, 2010, 15:03
Heh, Same here bud - I'm gonna be busy until mid december, quit my job, and then i'll be working from home next year.

You hate UVWs? Great, I Love 'Em!

Got a few questions though!
- Pretty sure you've played DK - but are/were you an addict? (It helps)
- You work exclusevely in Max, correct?
- Got a deviant art page/etc we can check out?
- Tell me exactly what you like/are good at, so you don't get assigned to what you don't like doing..

We are basically aiming at creating an EPIC intro - I'll handle everything but if you could maybe build the dungeon it would be awesome...especially if it's the same quality as you did above!
You don't need to worry about the characters, UVWs, rigging, animation, lighting, Particles/Fx or nothing.......Just the Floor/Walls/roof/rooms of the dungeon basically. :o

You are the best thing that happened to this forum in a long time, if you are on board - seriously! :cool:

DonJoe
September 16th, 2010, 15:29
Alright, here goes:

-Reinstalling DK2 led me to searching the interwebs for rebuilds/texture packs/anything. I played them both religiously in the past.
-3Ds Max, Mudbox and Photoshop are my main proficiencies. I've got a little experience with Maya and Lightwave. I've noticed you do a lot of work with ZBrush........which I never managed to wrap my head around. But whatever, mudbox and ZBrush can be made compatible easily.
-No devientart I'm afraid. I believe I have a nice little portfolio compilation on a DVD somewhere, though thats 99% photoshop. I'll see if I can find that and upload it some time.
-Pretty much game for anything. I'm usually like a handyman on professional projects, I do a little of overything whenever someone gets stuck. I'm pretty easy like that.

If you can get me some kind of screenplay to give me an idea what kind of dungeon interior you want to be able to see, I'll get started. In the meantime, I'm going to see if I can get the stuff I have to go modular. Lego's for the win. ;)

Blutonium
September 16th, 2010, 15:55
Hot Dawg! Ding Ding Ding We have a winner!

awesome bro, simply awesome.

I'll get you the stuff we had for the previouse idea - but we might change it, if we get a better idea - fact is, it will most likely need to have a dungeon and characters - so us 2 can start working anyway......

Modular Pieces sounds like a plan - much easier.

Since you work in MB, think you can design some of the stuff in HiDef, but Use Displacement on Low Quality Proxy Objects? We need the Scene to be as fast as possible, but look detailed at the same time

But - You can have freedom man - if you think something will look cool, make it - We all are DK fans so we pretty much like the same stuff here, hehe...

We might need someone to Concept the Dungeon Architecture for us - anyone else interested in this?
otherwise, you just build what you think works - basically like the DK2 intro almost?

but i'll edit the first few ideas into something readable - it's a mess at the moment...

DonJoe
September 16th, 2010, 16:19
Yeah, I can always start off with some basic stuff like archways and hallways, door and the like. Fleshing out more specific settings as the info comes in. I'll start building some assets, and we'll see how to implement them.

PS. I'm thinking about dropping all the scenes and geom in a google docs folder so you can access them easily. If you've signed up, pm me your username sometime, I'll send you a share.

Doing one more render of the librairy before I have to head out, but I look foreward to hearing from you.

Blutonium
September 16th, 2010, 19:37
You using Vray or MR? I'm intending to use MR as it's faster, and does displacements better (well in my experience)

Your rendering quality is really amazing - Is that just Area shadows or are you using Ambient Occlusion? Because I love the soft shadowy appearance, It's pretty much up to par with what I wanted to achieve for the Intro Cinematic :o

since you are a generalist like me, tell me what you do man (in Max) - I need to know so perhaps we can find stuff that you will like to lead with :cool:

Put 0,1,2 or 3 Asterisks (*) after each line, depending on what you are can do:

Modeling ***
Sculpting
Dynamics / Reactor
Cloth
Hair/Fur
Particle Scripting
UVW
Texturing (PS)
Matte Work
Biped Rigging (Bones Pro 4)
Character Studio / Crowds
Animation
Facial Blends & Animation
Material & Shader Setups
SSS? (please tell me you know this? :p )
Lighting & Shadow Setups
Advanced Rendering (AO/GI)
Effects (Smoke/Fog/Explosions/etc)
Vegetation/Environments
Liquids

Any Industry level plug-ins that you are familiar with? like FumeFX/RayFire/Glu3D?

Metal Gear Rex
September 17th, 2010, 00:43
Looks pretty nice. :)

DonJoe
September 17th, 2010, 01:00
Just ambient occlusion with a skylight setup using the Default scanline renderer (and a little SS, but that's kinda default). MR would have probably been about as quick, but I got lazy and managed to remember the DSR light settings I liked for geom. I could get away with it here cause I had a half open scene though. An inside scene would look like crap this way because raytracing + radiosity in the DSR is kinda wonky. I've got more experience with MR then with VRay, so that's good, I suppose. :P

Modeling ***
Sculpting *
Dynamics / Reactor **
Cloth **
Hair/Fur **
Particle Scripting *
UVW
Texturing (PS) ***
Matte Work *
Biped Rigging (Bones Pro 4) *
Character Studio / Crowds *
Animation **
Facial Blends & Animation **
Material & Shader Setups **
SSS (Assuming you're refering to sub surface scattering.) **
Lighting & Shadow Setups **
Advanced Rendering (AO/GI) **
Effects (Smoke/Fog/Explosions/etc) **
Vegetation/Environments *
Liquids **

I'm semi-familiar with most of Cebas' plugins (Pyrocluster, thinkparticles, volumebreaker, fumefx and finalDOF to be exact); familiar enough at least to quickly get it up and running. I've tried a couple of others way back when, but I doubt they've stayed the same since then.

Edit: I do have to add that I'm far from a professional at this. It's a hobby for me, albeit one that I've been entertaining for a while. Please dont expect too much, as I cant almost guarantee you that I'll have many "D'oh!" moments along the way.The one thing I have that offsets this though is that I'm a perfectionist at heart. It needs to took the way it needs to look, or it's not good enough.

Blutonium
September 17th, 2010, 07:57
Impressive.... I think you should handle the lighting/Shadows and MR Settings - light that dungeon up...... I'm a n00b at Radiosity/Advanced Lighting Settings
max Lights have so many settings and the Rendering Settings on light rendering engines (AO/GI/etc) is even more complicated

to tell you the truth I want to stay away from GI bounces because it can be problematic when rendering animation sequences

Man, i'm so glad you use MR though - Seriously, I thought it would take forever to find someone that knows what they are doing like you.

I'll make a draft for you of everything that needs to be done/etc, this coming weekend.

DonJoe
September 17th, 2010, 08:03
Awesome. Started on liars late last night after tidying up the library a little more. I'll see if I can have that and a modular library done next week. Can't be arsed to clone more books to make a render look better right now.

Blutonium
September 19th, 2010, 12:46
OK, Draft done - I Edited a HUGE file down to what it is now, taking the best ideas and putting everything in order.

here:
http://www.keeperklan.com/threads/1254-Intro-Cinematic?p=23917&viewfull=1#post23917

Monsterbaby
September 20th, 2010, 09:33
Really good job on the outcome of the libary sketch. However I was thinking if it is possible to make the bookshelf in the middle a bit bigger and more massive, so the shelves don't seem so think, but more like huge pieces of oak tree. In the previous games, most of the interior had a very heav design, and I cannot really come across any things in the games which were concidered "light"

DonJoe
September 20th, 2010, 15:46
Very true and, fortunately very easily fixed. I'll get to that in a little bit. I'm working on a couple of other things at the moment, but I'll get to roughing it up a little in a while.