PDA

View Full Version : Hi Res Textures?

Synesthesia
September 8th, 2009, 23:57
Anybody know if would be possible to replace the textures in Dk2 with high res versions? It would make a big difference to the visuals, especially in first person mode.

I'd be happy to create a set of high res textures like the ones I did for NBKE if anybody could find a way to 'import' them.

dotted
September 9th, 2009, 00:18
http://keeper.lubie.org/html/dk2_tools_extrct.php[/URL]"]
DK2 Official WAD Tool

In order to speed up loading time some of the DK2 graphic, files are stored in '.WAD' files. These WAD files are then unpacked in memory once they have been loaded. It is possible to have DK2 load the files individually rather than from the WAD files by using the command line switches '-enablefilepatching' and '-enableartpatching'.

DK2 WAD Tool will let you unpack the WAD files. Once unpacked, it is possible to modify some of the files and witness those changes in the game. Not all the graphics used in DK2 are stored in WAD format, but most of it is.

Note that this tool works much better than other WAD extractors, as it supports compressed entries.

You can download DK2WADTool from many sites - search the web.

In other words, open any WAD file with the attached program click unpack and edit away, you just have to remember to start DK2 with the proper command lines.

EDIT: Just tested it by editing the title screen, the WAD tool extracts everything in the right folder, so you only have to click the unpack button and just edit away.

agustins69
September 9th, 2009, 00:30
good idea, I would be fantastic if I could help with anything, but my real interest is in the remake of dungeon keeper 1, which I know nothing because they are not that ah is not been the project if they have canceled ... anyway I am available for the help they need in the forum, although my computer skills are less than basic:monk::dragon:

Synesthesia
September 9th, 2009, 00:50
Thanks Dotted but none of the textures are stored in those WAD files. There is a directory called 'DK2TextureCache'. Inside that there are two files, one is a 9.5MB file called 'EngineTextures.dat' and the other is 120KB file called Enginetextures.dir which contains the names of the textures and some other info.

The .dat file is the one we need to crack open somehow.

EDIT: Looks like Trass3r has tried to crack this file already:

http://trass3r.xentax.com/index.php?id=17

There's a tool to extract the textures, gonna try it now...

EDIT AGAIN:They extracted ok but they're in an unreadable format :( Apparently they are compressed using an unknown alogrithm.

dotted
September 9th, 2009, 01:22
Damn, i guess we are out of luck then

DragonsLover
September 9th, 2009, 01:37
Same goes for most of the GUI icons.

Synesthesia
September 9th, 2009, 16:37
I've asked Trass3r about cracking the texture file, he reckons it could be done with the right amount of time and patience so there's still hope :)

I reworked the default tile texture in DK2 up to 512x512, you can see the comparison below with the original tile on the left:
http://www.pdportraits.co.uk/index_files/DK2tex.jpg

It would be awesome if we could have the whole game in hi res, even the GUI. Hopefully trass3r will crack that algorithm...

Hapuga
September 9th, 2009, 17:55
Synesthesia

Great job, as always. Btw, could you ask Trass3r about AI? I' having difficulty finding it. It is not in the EXE, but cant find it anywhere else so far.

dotted
September 9th, 2009, 18:53
It is not in the EXE.
What makes you so sure?

Hapuga
September 9th, 2009, 19:34
What makes you so sure?

I assume so. Well... when you "assume" something... you're making an "ass" of "u" and "me". So I'm probably wrong.

Ðârk Âñgêl
September 9th, 2009, 19:40
that looks very nice synthesia.

@hapunga, great sentence :D

dotted
September 9th, 2009, 20:40
I assume so. Well... when you "assume" something... you're making an "ass" of "u" and "me". So I'm probably wrong.

i would be surprised if the AI isnt part of the exe at least

nebster
September 9th, 2009, 20:45
i would be surprised if the AI isnt part of the exe at least

Well, test it! :P
Just extract the patch and only replace the exe and see if it works :)

Hapuga
September 9th, 2009, 21:16
Well, test it! :P
Just extract the patch

How?

nebster
September 9th, 2009, 21:22
How?

Try UniExtract

Hapuga
September 9th, 2009, 21:33
It's more complicated than it looks. Unextracts to a folder with another executable and a patch.trp file. now that format is unsupported.

nebster
September 9th, 2009, 23:53
It's more complicated than it looks. Unextracts to a folder with another executable and a patch.trp file. now that format is unsupported.

Well, that exe must be quite small since it'll only be a patcher. Just try disassembling it. There's some exe to C/C++ disassemblers that work quite well on small files (can't remember their names) that should make it quite easy to understand the file format

Trass3r
September 30th, 2009, 19:18
I reworked the default tile texture in DK2 up to 512x512, you can see the comparison below with the original tile on the left:
http://www.pdportraits.co.uk/index_files/DK2tex.jpg
Looks great, as always :)

Started a new thread for texture format details:
http://forum.keeperklan.com/dk2-texture-format-t220.html

Trass3r
October 7th, 2009, 22:22
With mefisto's help we might indeed finally get to convert those textures.
At least we made quite some progress in the mentioned thread.