PDA

View Full Version : WTFO Board

QwentyJ
September 9th, 2009, 15:57
I'm glad we're on vBulletin, 'cos it's easier to navigate.

In any case, I think we need to be careful that this forum doesn't get as disorganised as our MB became on the old board.

I can't describe it well, but when the sub forums multiplied and there were hardly any topics in too specific sub forums.

I think we could use copying some of the good threads from the old board onto here.

Then we need to distinguish between something which is an idea or suggestion and something which people have approved and becomes lore rather than an idea.

That's my two pence, but I'm a firm believe in good organisation and I hope this fourm flourishes because of it!

In short, I know this post was a bit of a beating around the bush, but I think it relfects a general ethic that we should try to stick to.

Let me know what you think! :)

Synesthesia
September 9th, 2009, 16:32
Yep we do need sub forums to keep things organised. I need somewhere to post artwork/music so that I can get feedback without cluttering up the main forum.

QwentyJ
September 9th, 2009, 18:13
Yep we do need sub forums to keep things organised. I need somewhere to post artwork/music so that I can get feedback without cluttering up the main forum.
Agreed. So how should we divide it?

General Game Discussion

Artwork & Audio

Gameplay

Suggestions & Ideas

That's about all I can think of at the moment. Too many sub forum just dilutes things, as we saw in the old forum.

General Game Discussion covers everything non specific about the game, Art & Audio covers concept art, 3D art, voiceovers, music and sounds, Gameplay covers in game technicalities, like how many hit points does such and such have whereas Suggestions and Ideas houses the new ideas that, once approved, are then lifted properly into the other 2/3 forums.

Synesthesia
September 9th, 2009, 18:55
Too many disorganised sub forums can dilute things, but if we keep on top of them then it shouldn't become a problem. Personally I'd like everything to be clearly labelled/catagorised so that people can find what they are looking for without having to wade through hundreds of threads.

If we wanted to be Uber organised we could have a main catagory called CHARACTERS. Inside that there could be three forums: CREATURES, HEROES and NEUTRAL.

So when you click on CREATURES you'll get a list of every creature that is going into the game. Click on a creatures name eg IMP, and you'll get another three sub forums: Artwork, Sound, and AI.

Discussions and suggestions can take place in the relevant forums.

We could have similar setups for spells and rooms, as well as Overworld and Underworld, and not forgetting one for the GUI.

The only downside to this method is that it would take many clicks to get to actual content/discussion, but with Vbulletins 'new post' thing it will be easy to keep track of what has been updated.

Blue Eagle
September 11th, 2009, 12:15
Agreed. So how should we divide it?

General Game Discussion

Artwork & Audio

Gameplay

Suggestions & Ideas

That's about all I can think of at the moment. Too many sub forum just dilutes things, as we saw in the old forum.

General Game Discussion covers everything non specific about the game, Art & Audio covers concept art, 3D art, voiceovers, music and sounds, Gameplay covers in game technicalities, like how many hit points does such and such have whereas Suggestions and Ideas houses the new ideas that, once approved, are then lifted properly into the other 2/3 forums.

We could also have:

Project Management - for the legal side, distribution discussion and board management.

Scripts, dialog and translations - for stories/scripts, voice and written in-game messages and translations of the above. To save duplication with the audio threads this topic could be used for written discussions and developing scripts etc while the audio side is for recorded/recording sounds and music.

Who is going to be in charge of keeping the WftO boards organised?

MaxHayman
September 12th, 2009, 22:06
Yeah, nice new forums...but they are kinda empty at the moment lol :P

dk2player
September 12th, 2009, 22:25
I help keep things organized if you want. ;)

dotted
September 12th, 2009, 23:02
Yeah, nice new forums...but they are kinda empty at the moment lol :P

Start posting then :p

Simburgur
September 12th, 2009, 23:27
I'll sort out sub-forums tomorrow, seeing as the poll I posted is clearly pointing that way.

EDIT: Scrap that, sorry. It'll be in a few days, I got some work to do.

MaxHayman
September 13th, 2009, 20:58
Alright cool, cant wait to start posting :P

Evi
September 25th, 2009, 20:30
I don't know where else to post this, so I'll post it here! :D

What if we made a Thread that has the current accepted and suggested Creatures/Heroes/Traps/Rooms/Ect. so there won't be alot of Threads in the Suggestion Subforum asking 'what are the current-Insert Object here-?'ish questions.

dotted
September 25th, 2009, 20:39
I don't know where else to post this, so I'll post it here! :D

What if we made a Thread that has the current accepted and suggested Creatures/Heroes/Traps/Rooms/Ect. so there won't be alot of Threads in the Suggestion Subforum asking 'what are the current-Insert Object here-?'ish questions.

Dont think we will be specifically marking suggestions accepted or not. Because if we accept one but later on find out it doesnt work so well and then deny it wopuld be silly.

Duke Ragereaver
September 25th, 2009, 21:02
Dont think we will be specifically marking suggestions accepted or not. Because if we accept one but later on find out it doesnt work so well and then deny it wopuld be silly.

Is there any structure or idea on doing this? We don't want good ideas to rot away and to be forgotten away quietly.

dotted
September 25th, 2009, 21:05
Is there any structure or idea on doing this? We don't want good ideas to rot away and to be forgotten away quietly.

well good ideas would be discussed more, where as bad ones just die away

Evi
November 14th, 2009, 21:27
I wonder, should there be a guide for making a Creature/Room/Trap/Spell/Whatever?