PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Level/Map Type?

Metal Gear Rex
October 2nd, 2010, 21:06
Basically, I want to know your favorite level. Levels don't have to be just from the original DK or DD, could be custom maps. You can list for all three. :3 A link to the map, if custom, would be nice as well if you could, it could make others interested in trying it.

Then again, there is also keeper.lubie.org (http://keeper.lubie.org/) which probably has a lot of the maps as well, as well as a nicely organized Map Releases sub-forum on KK. :)

I also want to know map types, like Hero Invasion, Enemy Keeper, etc. You may also request where to find a good map of this map type, and hopefully others will try to help you out. :)
(May not be always me, there are a lot of maps and a lot of maps I haven't tried ;_; )

Please keep it to DK1 maps, thanks. :)

As for me, my favorite Map Type is Hero Invasions. I love having to multi-task and the difficulty of facing off many Heroes coming from all directions. I usually never find Traps useful as nobody ever passes through my Dungeon's front gates alive or undead, but these maps usually is when my creatures are too busy to deal with everyone and traps become very useful.

Favorite DK1 map is probably Mirthshire, level 17, which in my opinion is the best Hero Invasion level of the whole game. As for DD, maybe one of the last two levels, Belial and Dixaroc. I don't know about custom maps, maybe one of Burdened Imp's maps as he was a really good map-maker. Anybody know any other nicely designed Hero Invasion Maps? :D

What about everyone else? What's your thoughts on your favorite map/map types?

Duke Ragereaver
October 2nd, 2010, 21:25
I'm just a simple Creature that loves to beat rival Keepers into submission. Examples of maps that include these beatdowns: Morkardar, Belbata and other maps like that.

kyle
October 2nd, 2010, 22:14
My two favorite maps are the snowy one where the map is shaped like a dungeon special, was epic and the map that you play like near the beginning and it has 3 gems behind you, I loved the layout of the heroes dungeon in that one, and the level in general, but to be honest I felt every level in DKI was epic and enjoyable.

Mothrayas
October 2nd, 2010, 22:42
Blaise End's the best Hero invasion map (my favorite map type as well) IMO. Such sweet memories of running out of gold all the time while the Heroes just kept popping up everywhere.

Other honorable mentions: Mirthshire, Morkardar, Skybird Trill, Tickle, Moonbrush Wood, Elf's Dance, Hearth, Buffy Oak, Lushmeadow-On-Down, Mistle. Yeah, that's about half of the original maps, but idc.

p_hansson
January 16th, 2011, 19:36
In singleplayer: Anything which keeps the pressure up by spamming heroes on me and forces me to think about defense, while simultaneously forcing me to attack one or more enemy keepers.

I also prefer that I get to build my dungeon myself without too many restrictions (e.g. pre-dug rooms or weird impassable walls close) and that several ways to solve the map are possible. I'm not too keen on the "puzzle maze" maps where I have to clear a dungeon full of traps by trial and error which takes forwever.

Pizu_Meaku
January 18th, 2011, 09:45
I like puzzles, Forces me to think and react diffrently than i normally would play :) perfect combination for me:) also map that keeps the pressure going.

Zyraen
June 1st, 2011, 03:04
I just got back to DK, and have never played through Deeper Dungeons until just a few weeks ago. I've stopped at the beginning of Dixaroc, but Deeper Dungeons was very inspiring in terms of ideas. Most involve some form of "Puzzle" solving.
Here's how it goes...

1) Skybird Trill with a transferred Vampire - the early game forces me to "rush" with the Vampire to reach the Scavenger Room, and 8 Tentacles are a lot for a lone Vampire to handle without being first Scavenged away. With a few small tweaks (removing the Temple and giving a few other level 10s to the Enemy Keeper) I imagine Skybird Trill could be one of the most difficult levels ever. The Gem placement is simply irritating though, they could have simply given us 3 Gem sides... plus the enemy has no Gems, not sure if that's a mistake. As always, mid-late game is a letdown.

2) Batezek - hands-down my favourite DDK level so far. Careful Dungeon Planning, rapid reinforcement while holding off an assault, followed by building a gauntlet. I tend to get so carried away at the last part that no one gets past the first 1/2 of the Gauntlet (except the Knight if I don't drop creatures on him). I also replayed this with a transferred level 10 Reaper to beat all the Waves, without ever using a single trap. Possession and a good long winding route to my Dungeon makes the seemingly impossible possible.

3) Belbata - Awesome level, awesome fun. This is the only DDK level so far I built a reasonable army (I think 25 Skeletons and 4 Warlocks, all at level 10), most of his army was not yet level 10, then still got my Ass totally handed to me. In the end, I had to resort to using Vampire Tanks with Lightning support to beat the first Keeper into submission. Plus its fun imprisoning Imps. It could be more interesting with slightly "tighter" supply of Gems and constant pressure from multiple fronts.

4) Benetzaron - while its relative easy if you turtle, its far more satisfying to attack the Cavern before the tunneller arrives, then later deal with the Tunneller party, effectively splitting your opponents in half, then doing the same for the next Cavern until all 3 invasion parties are accounted for. Meantime, you've got to keep your Imps from their front door and releasing yet Another Party to come at you. In fact this is something so refreshing (after turtling in Batezek) that I'm probably going to see what ideas I can come up with. Mid-to-Late Game is depressingly easy though.

5) Korros Tor - forced to attack heroes for Gold, yet full of options on how / where to secure, complete with the choice of being able to "rush" the Enemy Player with a level 8 Reaper. If the Northern Keeper were more solid and both could not be kept out of the lake, it'd be totally perfect

6) Mistle - was great fun until I realised I could simply cut the Enemy Keeper off from his Gold without ever training my Creatures, then sit back and relax.

Kerd
June 4th, 2011, 20:35
Heart, i love the Hero Invasion type level.

diggory
June 7th, 2011, 13:15
I personally love to sandbox. On the right levels I can spend hours just building my dungeon into a work of art, before even claiming a portal. Moonbrush Wood is a perfect level for this as you have a huge chunk of land to build into, a gem block for endless dosh and no enemy keeper or heroe tunnelers. Yeah I know its no longer a challenge when you finally dig north with an army of level 10s and walk all over the mid-level heroes, but I enjoy just building.

Also love building converted hero armies, which Moonbrush Wood is also good for. I remember once (also on MBW) building effectively 2 seperate dungeons, one for the converted heroes and 1 for the evil dudes.

Gem levels are just fantastic.

I hate enemy keeper levels as they force me to not take my time :p

If they had My Pet Dungeon mode from DK2 in DK1, I would never leave my house.

Bloodletter
July 3rd, 2011, 03:26
I'm generally well-rounded as I prefer a good variety of map styles, but I much enjoy 'defense' maps over others.
These kind of maps like Hearth for example are more fun because I get put under more pressure which in a way helps me move faster in RTS games, increasing my APM.
Here are a few of my favorite maps :)

Hearth
Belial
Skybird Trill
Benetzaron
Morkardar
Batezek
Tulipscent
Belbata
Sleepiburgh
Pladitz

timmytheflid
August 22nd, 2011, 12:08
I like maps with opponents that fight each other.

Dungeon_Master
August 24th, 2011, 06:39
I personally love to sandbox. On the right levels I can spend hours just building my dungeon into a work of art, before even claiming a portal. Moonbrush Wood is a perfect level for this as you have a huge chunk of land to build into, a gem block for endless dosh and no enemy keeper or heroe tunnelers. Yeah I know its no longer a challenge when you finally dig north with an army of level 10s and walk all over the mid-level heroes, but I enjoy just building.

Also love building converted hero armies, which Moonbrush Wood is also good for. I remember once (also on MBW) building effectively 2 seperate dungeons, one for the converted heroes and 1 for the evil dudes.

Gem levels are just fantastic.

I hate enemy keeper levels as they force me to not take my time :p

If they had My Pet Dungeon mode from DK2 in DK1, I would never leave my house.

I love doing that too, that's why I always quickly fortify much of the lands I can before any heroes or enemy keepers can reach me, so then I can take my time and build an army, whether they are hard or not. I usually watch TV while they are training (If I got a gem though).

I love the level before Skybird Thrill since you can take your time, and there is quite a bit to build. Plus I love converting and scavening, can be quite fun.

I believe the lv5 map is a favorite of mine too. And the one called Elf's Dance, with lava trap and quick acting I can prevent the other keepers from getting me so we all build. I like the map 16 too on the original DK, love building an army and convertiong all enemies XD

Zyraen
August 24th, 2011, 08:00
I was building a Sandbox Campaign for DK1, (now its just a Sandbox Level, Mellow Rib), would anyone like to contribute ideas on what they'd like to see in a Sandbox?