PDA

View Full Version : RAM detection issues

Aval
January 27th, 2011, 17:05
Hi, long time fan of the original here who's never been frustrated by the incompatibility with later versions of Windows. Just downloaded FX and with a little bit of fixing I've gotten past the usual colour/resolution bugs and it's working a treat. Thanks for this opportunity to play such a great game again.

Tad of an issue though; when I started up the first campaign I noticed it was running a little slow. It seems to be a framerate issue and improves/degrades depending on what I'm looking at. There wasn't a mention of it in the FAQ - but it did mention something about the lens effects being disabled if the game detected less than 16mb of RAM. I tried possessing a fly and sure enough, no distortion. I'm assuming this is the same issue and I have 4GB of installed memory. Is there any way I can fix this? I apologise if this has been asked before.

jomalin
January 27th, 2011, 18:21
Are you running "keeperfx.exe" or "keeperfx_dbg.exe"? You must execute the first one, the second runs slowly

Aval
January 27th, 2011, 18:32
Nope. Not running debug.

Edit: My friend who's running Windows XP (I think) is also reporting an inconsistent framerate (I'm on Win7).

Also when I first possess a creature I get the map and toolbar sort of half-superimposed and tiled over the view and I need to switch resolutions to fix it.

Krizzie
January 28th, 2011, 13:42
What does Keeperfx.log say? I have 4GB of memory and the log says that there is 32MB of psychical memory. I don't know why the rest isn't counted (16bit code maybe?)

shanon
January 28th, 2011, 14:29
Cause 32MB is the max the game use.
In the source of the game is a method which checks the mem size and set it on 32 max.

Aval
January 28th, 2011, 21:54
hmm, I guess it says that I passed the RAM test:

Sync: PhysicalMemory 32
Sync: Memory-demanding features enabled.

But I still don't see any lens effects for flies and the framerate is nearly unplayable when I'm looking at a lot of things and effects like a few creatures near a portal or big fights with lots of casting.

p_hansson
January 29th, 2011, 00:05
Hmm does the game lag also with an old non-SDL version, like 0.36?

I realize this is a bit of work to test, but I think it could help to narrow down problem.

Aval
January 29th, 2011, 11:02
Could someone upload a compressed complete version of 0.36? I can only find a patch on the site and I can't get any of the older versions to upgrade - the host site seems dead.

p_hansson
January 29th, 2011, 20:13
Try: http://www.keeperklan.com/downloads.php?do=cat&id=7

Also, after reading change log I realized 0.37c could also work (blaming my bad memory), so do try that instead of 0.36.

Aval
January 30th, 2011, 01:29
Thanks. Downloading. I got Keeper to work in DOSbox very nicely though so my cravings are met - so no pressure - but I guess you could use the testing.

Lasharus
January 30th, 2011, 12:38
I've noticed the same problem Aval has. I make it a habit that if a completely new version of a fan-game (though this is more a fan-remake, but semantics aside :P) is released, I install it in a different folder, just in case. My KeeperFX 0.37 works just fine on my system. 0.38 has the same framerate and slowdown issues. And a very weird mouse bug - It works fine when moving the indicator horizontally, but vertically it's suffering from some very weird control issues (slowed down, irregular and inconsistent movement, etc).

Managed to get 0.38 running after a bit of testing, and even in windowed mode (though the map is a bit awkward there, it tends to not resize along with the game if you try a resolution larger than 640x480 :P), but I can't get rid of the awkward mouse troubles or slowdown issues (Yes, I've tried altinput, didn't help :S)