PDA

View Full Version : General Information

Airandius
January 31st, 2011, 22:21
So I have a few questions regarding the game's current state and future state. Just because this information is nowhere to be found.
I would love these questions answered in some detail. =]

Q1: It's called War for the Overworld but are we actually going to visit the overworld? What is the general idea here.

Q2: What rooms, monsters and traps are confirmed in the game? I've seen some threads that mention monsters and rooms but I've never seen a full list. If possible I would like to know changes to the older ones and how the new ones work.

Q3: Are you guys interested in having a wiki page for your mod? Just a place to store all information about the game for general public.

Metal Gear Rex
January 31st, 2011, 22:25
So I have a few questions regarding the game's current state and future state. Just because this information is nowhere to be found.
I would love these questions answered in some detail. =]

DENIED

Q1: It's called War for the Overworld but are we actually going to visit the overworld? What is the general idea here.

We originally were but decided not to due to problems with gameplay and yadda yadda. We're still battling FOR the Overworld, to take control. I guess it's kinda like DK1 in that you gotta kill the Heroes guarding the realm to get to the top and start eating pilgrams and stuff.

Q2: What rooms, monsters and traps are confirmed in the game? I've seen some threads that mention monsters and rooms but I've never seen a full list. If possible I would like to know changes to the older ones and how the new ones work.

We're still discussing it. I think that thread was a mistake because those things aren't truly confirmed, they're just what kyle and I said yes to.

Q3: Are you guys interested in having a wiki page for your mod? Just a place to store all information about the game for general public.

Ask kyle. Kyle, get your face in here. And bring your hands too or it'll be hard to say anything.

Mothrayas
January 31st, 2011, 22:26
A1: no, that idea got scrapped sometime during development.

A2: most stuff that was in both DK games is essentially guaranteed to get in, otherwise not much is confirmed.

A3: sure, why not

kyle
January 31st, 2011, 22:31
The wiki might be an idea, it really depends how useful it is. As I would have to update it.

dotted
February 1st, 2011, 00:40
The wiki might be an idea, it really depends how useful it is. As I would have to update it.
Then a wiki is useless, the usefulness of a wiki comes from everybody being able to update it not a single person. In that case the website would be the better choice.

Airandius
February 1st, 2011, 09:01
Wiki´s are usually made by the community. The best examples I can find is the Diablo 3 Wikia from Diablofans. There are a few main editors that also act like moderators but everybody can write articles.

Aval
February 1st, 2011, 13:23
Really? N'aww that concept art for ungodly hellmouths in the landscape looked really sweet. And the potential for all the awesome things you could pull off with Keeping in three dimensions (collapsing ceilings, directing lava waterfalls-etc) could have been ridiculously cool. I guess prolly far too adventurous for such a small, not-for-profit indie team though.

Jack
February 1st, 2011, 21:14
@Airandius, people don't know much about the game (wtf I just lost the game...) so it would be difficult for people to update the page. Anyway it could be a good idea if it has some kind of visibility.. :)

@Aval: Never say never... What's the future reserving for us? We don't know..... Mwahahahahah :D

Airandius
February 1st, 2011, 21:35
I'm aware that there isn't much information. That's why I asked about it.

It's just that small projects like these are better suited for open development where a lot of information is exchanged with the community. A blog that gives some information now and then along with a wiki that stores information could do wonders for traffic.

(Because to be honest this project is perhaps reaching 0.1% of it's target audience.)
How long have you guys been working on this by the way? A year or two?

kyle
February 1st, 2011, 21:38
I don't see how we are reaching 0.1 of the target audience. We have 5 pages on different sites and I advertise it on alot of game development forums.

What else do you think I should do to reach the target audience.

DonJoe
February 1st, 2011, 21:58
Not worry about target audience and focus on building a great game. Word of mouth is the most powerful marketing. But having something worth talking about is the key to getting word of mouth.

Once we get the engine running, things will go fast. In the meantime, it's a matter of churning out as much substantial assets as we can. I think a wiki is too soon. We should be able to keep the website updated. That should do for now.

Airandius
February 1st, 2011, 22:58
@ DonJoe

Word of mouth or whatever name it might get is hardly an effective marketing strategy at this point. That strategy works best with this product when it's somewhat finished or at least has something to show.

- Hey we are making a sequel for a game, it's not done yet and we don't have much information open to the public but it's going to be awesome.

- Hey we made a sequel for a game, you can download it here and you can find information here.

See the difference. :P The second one would attract a lot more people.
Now the video 'trailer' I've seen on youtube with the character models is a decent way of promoting this game. People that know DK1 or DK2 will recognize the models instantly and will be impressed. It does not attract new people however. =P

@ kyle

What other sites would that be and how active are those places?

Look I wont go claiming that I'm a good manager. I'm a second year student for Media and Entertainment Management (b) and since the first year covered marketing and promotion as well as other stuff. I know a thing or two and I'm willing to help you guys reach a larger amount of people because from what I've seen (mainly this forum) there aren't that many people. =)
(Of course I have yet to see everything that you guys do for promotion.)

Mothrayas
February 1st, 2011, 23:03
Word of mouth or whatever name it might get is hardly an effective marketing strategy at this point. That strategy works best with this product when it's somewhat finished or at least has something to show.

- Hey we are making a sequel for a game, it's not done yet and we don't have much information open to the public but it's going to be awesome.

- Hey we made a sequel for a game, you can download it here and you can find information here.

See the difference. :P The second one would attract a lot more people.

Well duh, of course a finished product is going to attract more people than an unfinished product, smartass.

Airandius
February 1st, 2011, 23:25
Well duh, of course a finished product is going to attract more people than an unfinished product, smartass.

I was merely stating that spreading the mod by telling people about it is not that effective at this point, I wasn't sure if the person I replied to was aware of that.

kyle
February 1st, 2011, 23:47
ModDB - http://www.moddb.com/games/keeper-3

Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/pages/War-for-the-Overworld/174472795922922

youtube - http://www.youtube.com/user/WarForTheOverworld

Website - http://warfortheoverworld.org/

Deviant art - http://warfortheoverworld.deviantart.com/

I post a couple of advertisements here and there for team members too.

I believe this is enough currently in the terms of advertising, if you believe you can get us more publicity then your ideas are welcome.

Airandius
February 7th, 2011, 13:45
Personally this game isn't ready enought o be actively promoted/advertised. You would build up a hype that dies before the game is released. (This happened a lot, even with games made by professional companies.)

Anyway those sites are all horrible if you want to promote your game. Only people that actively search for the name of your mod would find these places. You would want to reach people that are not actively searching. You got a stroke of luck when Notch tweeted about you guys. People that are unaware of this mod will find this site now.
If you want to promote the game you need to post in places that are filled with gamers, SomethingAwful forums has a high amount of people. Promoting there could help you gain some fast popularity. (Post some trailer and gameplay videos, which makes people aware of your youtube and add the above links aswell.)
You could even risk to advertise on the 4chan gaming board. It helped Notch (but brought the unneeded trolls as well).

A New Room
February 7th, 2011, 14:25
Personally this game isn't ready enought o be actively promoted/advertised. You would build up a hype that dies before the game is released. (This happened a lot, even with games made by professional companies.)

Yeah that is somewhat true, right now we don't really have much to show since a lot of what is happening is happening behind closed doors. Which is partly one of the main reason we aren't making a huge splash about things :)

Jack
February 7th, 2011, 18:36
And anyway we are still searching for people to join the team, so we actually can't do so much advertisment :)

Airandius
February 7th, 2011, 18:45
Well you could recruit people. :P Which is not done by simply waiting for them to come. Go visit some forums and ask for programmers that would like to join.

kyle
February 7th, 2011, 18:52
You really think we have not tried that?

Airandius
February 7th, 2011, 21:02
I never said that.

Don't get your panties all tangled up now. People come and go, sometimes a second shot at things will give entirely different results.

kyle
February 7th, 2011, 21:11
Ain't no panties getting tangled here. I am constantly on the look out for potential team members. Just one or two weeks ago, I got Joop and Fred from gamedev. I got our new texture artist Sally, from game-artist just yesterday.

Airandius
February 7th, 2011, 21:39
Well there was no real way for me to know that you know.

Everything I say is based on what I know.

kyle
February 7th, 2011, 21:45
I am the all seeing eye.

Airandius
February 7th, 2011, 21:57
Darn you and your band of warlocks!

DonJoe
February 8th, 2011, 02:14
Calling for moderation, this discussion is taking up usefull time discussing what has already been discussed in-team.

Metal Gear Rex
February 8th, 2011, 02:31
*snaps finger and makes stuff happen*

M'kay no more discussion for this thread since it is wasting time and its already been discussed.
Locked (PM me if you meant for me to do something else)