PDA

View Full Version : So, did anybody try TCP/IP in 0.38?

p_hansson
February 3rd, 2011, 19:56
1. Because if they did, I presume they at some point crashed, it it'd be helpful to know where. :p

2. I'm thinking of making a YT vid to demonstrate how to setup and join a game, since it's far from obvious.

3. Although I haven't worked on it in a while, I'll try to fix the basic GUI and crash on player exit bugs within the coming months, time allowing.

A reminder, TCP/IP operation is described in tcp_readme.txt. Again, feedback would be valuable, though I can see in the current state why people would simply not bother. :P

kyle
February 3rd, 2011, 20:00
Is it still very laggy over the internet?

if it is i can test it anyway, over the internet and over LAN.

p_hansson
February 3rd, 2011, 20:02
Works fine if you have über ping over Internet I think. But yeah, basically it's bound to feel very laggy with > 50 ping because I can't get around the DK engine limitations so easily.

Anyway, I think release version may work somewhat better than the early test version from this Autumn, simply because there isn't a large bunch of SDL bugs bundled with it.

kyle
February 3rd, 2011, 20:05
So, can you just run by me quickly how one does this over hamachi?

p_hansson
February 3rd, 2011, 20:13
Hamachi is a wildcard. To one person I tried with, I could only get game to work over Hamachi. With another person, I could only get game working without Hamachi.

Hamachi "specific" instruction (which still is nearly 100% similar to connecting to any IP):
1. Make sure you are on same Hamachi network with the people you want to play with.
2. Make sure you have no software firewall activated; either disable completely or let KeeperFX through.
3. Host can simply start game, select TCP/IP, and click Create Game.
4. Clients must unfortunately specify the command line options -sessions, with a list of IP addresses, each appended with :5555 (which is a TCP port number). You can find the Hamachi IP address of the host by looking at the Hamachi network. So for example, if host's Hamachi IP is 56.57.135.23, clients must specify -sessions 56.57.135.23:5555
5. Clients after starting up game with said command line must then select TCP/IP, and select a session in list (corresponding to IP), then select Join Game. If there is a problem connecting, the game will freeze for a few seconds and then inform you of failure.

There are a number of caveats. You need to make sure host and clients have same versions of data files. If they all have a fresh 0.38a/b install, that shouldn't be a problem. Secondly, don't leave and rejoin a hosted game (this creates "holes" if more than 2 players)... And furthermore: There are some insanely weird bugs if players leave once the game has been started: If a client leaves, host's computer assist gets activated, and if hosts leaves; everyone else crashes.

kyle
February 5th, 2011, 00:21
Right, just tried a game with my sister over local LAN. It actually played without problems, it had no lag at all and it didin't crash. Though the game lasted about 5 minutes because I grabbed some claimable creatures and rushed her heart. So I'm not sure if I need to play for longer.

I decided to rush the game for one reason really, that lag people are reporting is pretty annoying, it makes the mouse kind of late in response and the game sometimes skips frames or lags. I am talking about that one that is apparently caused by SDL.

p_hansson
February 5th, 2011, 02:00
Thanks!

I don't think 5 mins is in all cases enough to cause desyncs, so I won't make any conclusions here (although perhaps my resync-code is actually working, at least you didn't disprove its correctness :p).

About lag: Are you sure it's SDL? I.e. did you try 0.38 in singleplayer with the same lag?

kyle
February 5th, 2011, 12:31
Just did a quick run on the first level. You are right it is not SDL. That lag must of been on the multiplayer only, which is strange as the lag did no seem like the lag you usually get in multiplayer games.

3d1n0
February 8th, 2011, 13:48
Right, just tried a game with my sister over local LAN. It actually played without problems, it had no lag at all and it didin't crash. Though the game lasted about 5 minutes because I grabbed some claimable creatures and rushed her heart. So I'm not sure if I need to play for longer.

I decided to rush the game for one reason really, that lag people are reporting is pretty annoying, it makes the mouse kind of late in response and the game sometimes skips frames or lags. I am talking about that one that is apparently caused by SDL.

hei, can you explain me your method to play in local lan? i have 2 pc :)

kyle
February 8th, 2011, 17:13
sure, I pretty much just followed P_Hansson's method, and used my local IP instead of the hamachi one.

Hamachi is a wildcard. To one person I tried with, I could only get game to work over Hamachi. With another person, I could only get game working without Hamachi.

Hamachi "specific" instruction (which still is nearly 100% similar to connecting to any IP):
1. Make sure you are on same Hamachi network with the people you want to play with.
2. Make sure you have no software firewall activated; either disable completely or let KeeperFX through.
3. Host can simply start game, select TCP/IP, and click Create Game.
4. Clients must unfortunately specify the command line options -sessions, with a list of IP addresses, each appended with :5555 (which is a TCP port number). You can find the Hamachi IP address of the host by looking at the Hamachi network. So for example, if host's Hamachi IP is 56.57.135.23, clients must specify -sessions 56.57.135.23:5555
5. Clients after starting up game with said command line must then select TCP/IP, and select a session in list (corresponding to IP), then select Join Game. If there is a problem connecting, the game will freeze for a few seconds and then inform you of failure.

There are a number of caveats. You need to make sure host and clients have same versions of data files. If they all have a fresh 0.38a/b install, that shouldn't be a problem. Secondly, don't leave and rejoin a hosted game (this creates "holes" if more than 2 players)... And furthermore: There are some insanely weird bugs if players leave once the game has been started: If a client leaves, host's computer assist gets activated, and if hosts leaves; everyone else crashes.

kyle
February 14th, 2011, 23:18
Me and my friends are attempting some multiplayer games. We did a 4 player game, we both allied with each other.

I'm going to write down the things I have listed in game 1 of 2.

Game is a tad choppy

the ingame ma screen is laggy

I was digging towards a gold bit to wall it off in possession, every time I seen an imp it slowed down a bit, I eventually got there and the game stopped for a second, my friends keeperFX crashed and I was left playing, but I was stuck in my imp, unable to move, the game still went on however, I started hearing rock tagging sounds for some reason.

Well game 2 of 2 was pretty normal. aside from the horrible choppiness.