PDA

View Full Version : Dungeon Keeper - Browsergame

Reaper88
February 5th, 2011, 15:38
Hello, im just writing an fully 3D browsergame in pure Html / Javascript (no flash, java, other plugin).
Actualy im using webGL for 3d-acceleration. Cause i wanted to learn webGL i thought it would be a nice idea to use a dungeon keeper game as learning object. Progress will not go as fast as maybe others but i'll keep developing it every day. My idea was a developing in the following milestones:

Milestone1: The Digging
- You can register, login and continue building your dungeon. There are no creatures, you can simply make it as you always wanted your dream dungeon to be.
Milestone2: The Singleplayer
- When enough people like the project, ill continue on working creatures. Imps which have to dig, others which have to sleep, east etc.
- At this part the community has to be big enough, cause i will need 3d-models of the creatures.
Milestone3: The Action
- Adding the first-person options, spells etc.
Milestone4: The Multiplayer
- At first simply merging 2 maps of 2 players which can simply attack each other (invite to a duel).
Milestone5: The Massive
- When still enough people like the project and keep gettign feedback, ideas, reporting bugs, whatever i 'may' even build some kind of working economy so that players can create guilds and attack together, and putting every player instead of his own small world somewhere in a realy big world.

When i stop developing this project and i am sure that i will no more continue to it, i will release the sourcecode, so everyone can contribute.

Thats my idea so far, i already started on the 3d engine which actual works and am currently making all kind of wall-types. non-breakable, dig-able, fortified, normal floor, owned floor etc. I will also try to create a nice website which will include the game then, including newest release screenshots and access to the dev-center which allows players to play the in-development version. But that will be after basics work but before MS1.

Hope you like the idea. Any feedback would be nice :)

Greetz
Reaper

PS. im also thinking about making ingame items which can be interactively used. like putting your own sound into an room (maybe, but for example) or when owning a guild you can automaticaly display text / html / images / whatever on ingame signs, paintings etc.

EDIT: 12. April Im still working on it, its getting slowly but with more quality, a more advanced 3d-engine, mucis, textures etc. Will still take some time

A New Room
February 5th, 2011, 17:06
Interesting, I hope that everything works out then, oh and welcome to the forum :)

Reaper88
February 6th, 2011, 15:58
A small progress-picture:
http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/6449/progress1m.jpg

"Changelog":
1. I am able to load maps from a .map file.
2. the map is displayed
3. keyboard movement with arrow keys works about 90% (you can still move out of the map)
5. mouse-camera works about 50%. you can look a bit up/down (90degrees down / straight forward) and rotate it. still needs to rotate around the map instead of around itself.

Next steps:
1. getting movement done
2. making walls digable
3. posting here :-d
post demo here :-D

kyle
February 6th, 2011, 18:19
It's looking sexy man, if you the demo up, I will be sure to play it.

Pizu_Meaku
February 6th, 2011, 18:36
Ill wait for the first demo :) then judge, but the screenshot looks nice tough :)

Duke Ragereaver
February 6th, 2011, 19:53
Please keep us informed of the progress you make! :)

Reaper88
February 7th, 2011, 12:49
Okay my first simple tech-demo is ready. Dont expect that you can do anything.
It actualy shows the possibility to render a 3d map in the browser (your browser needs webGL support, thats included in newest firefox, opera, chrome...) dont expect internet explorer to run it, cause it lacks years behind other browsers. And as far as i know there is NO plugin for older browsers to support webGL.

What actualy works:
- you can scroll over the map with arrow-keys or by moving the mouse at the edges of the render-area.
- you can zoom using the mousewheel
- you can rotate the camera while pressing the mousewheel down.

Cause my next point was selecting blocks i needed colision-detection support. After some research on that, i recognized that the way i build it till now isnt compatible with collision support and map-manipulation. so i started to rewrite the whole renderer. this means technicaly that the next real progress will likely not be today. but i keep this thread up-to-date :-D
Here it goes:
http://eiveo.net:8080/webkeeper/

Airandius
February 7th, 2011, 13:38
Does not work for me even though I have the latest Firefox. Need that webGl thing enabled but I can't find it anywhere. Guess they might have removed it. Shame though.

(For details I went to about:config but there is not a single instance of WebGL which I could enable/disable.

A New Room
February 7th, 2011, 13:46
Anything DK related in a web browser = awesome

Keep up the good work, I'm really quite looking forward to this now :)

Reaper88
February 7th, 2011, 14:09
I know it only works on some in-dev browsers, but till this thing is ready, everyone has updated to them. and THEN it is one of the first browsergames to support it. companies always look at what browsers are mostly used (ive seen that at work), still to many people using internet explorer, or an other outdated browser. A.. and for the ones of you who cant wait to dig.. google for minecraft :-D trust me, it wont disapoint you :-D
Firefox: 4.0 Beta (latest beta10)

ps0705
February 7th, 2011, 15:24
Just found this site after some surfing from a tweet by Notch (Minecraft dev), and I must say I'm really excited about this project. Sure hope you manage to finish this. After getting the latest update from chrome (it seems to be extremely recent!), I managed to load the "game", and can move around the camera as advertised (although to be picky, I'd say the mousewheel changes the elevation rather than zoom). It seems to stop loading textures at 12/14 though. Other than that, it's really impressive what you've managed to do in a few days. Keep it up! :D

Reaper88
February 7th, 2011, 20:58
Progress goes good, have rewriten core :-D
tomorrow i start the digging and new camera movement code :) ... edit: maybe i get it to Run in Android and iOS. will think about that.. ;)

EDIT: actual status: (will be updated) As soon as this it ready i will update the firs post and the link
movement:
- keyboard control: 100%
- mouse control: 100%
digging:
- digging posibility: 100%
- dig-by-click: 0%

MaxHayman
February 10th, 2011, 00:08
i get 404

Omnirok
February 10th, 2011, 08:55
Me To: 404...

Btw: Great Idea and great looking screens!
Looking forward to play this!

Reaper88
February 10th, 2011, 09:21
yeah, im just updating my rootserver. installed a new apache, with all its stuff, im busy on it ;)

Edit:
Small progress update: my server is working again, my local version is also mostly ready. im photoshopping a small website and then putting it as a preview online :)

Biledemon
February 22nd, 2011, 14:59
Sounds good! Is this still going?

Reaper88
February 23rd, 2011, 19:24
jup ;)

Omnirok
February 25th, 2011, 13:41
So looking forward for the server to work :-)

Madkill
February 25th, 2011, 18:02
If you ever want a little bit of help in the photoshop department let me know. :)

Reaper88
February 26th, 2011, 09:54
Well, im a coder, not a designer. i bought http://www.dungeonwars.net/ where i will put it online. Im experimenting with photoshop and some free fronts for a "Dungeon-Wars" ähm.. in german its called "schriftzug" maybe some1 could specify here in englisch what i mean :D So if you want to help and are familar with photoshop cou could give it a try :-D Secondly all tiles need to be redone sooner or later. At the moment im using the official dk1 tilesets. The tiles i use and would need redone before i can put that online at the moment are: (i dont want to pay a massive bunch when using copyrighted material without permission)

- Solid Rock (side and top)
- dirt (side and top and floor)
- fortified wall (side and top) - (connectable top tiles)
- fortified floor (floor) - (connectable floor tiles)

What i mean with connectable tiles is the following: when a tile may be connected and a tile which is directly connected with it has the same texture, it changes the top texture to a special texture. for walls and floors im using edges, 3/4-crossways, etc.

Metal Gear Rex
February 26th, 2011, 14:47
This whole time I thought you were kyle.

A New Room
February 26th, 2011, 14:49
This whole time I thought you were kyle.

I thought the same thing for awhile too :P

Well, im a coder, not a designer. i bought http://www.dungeonwars.net/ where i will put it online. Im experimenting with photoshop and some free fronts for a "Dungeon-Wars" ähm.. in german its called "schriftzug" maybe some1 could specify here in englisch what i mean :D

Do you mean a "Logo", perhaps?

Reaper88
February 26th, 2011, 17:43
who is kyle? :D

A New Room
February 26th, 2011, 18:01
who is kyle? :D

I don't know if you are joking or not but kyle (http://www.keeperklan.com/threads/1636-Dungeon-Keeper-Browsergame?p=28151&viewfull=1#post28151) has the same Avatar as you, so MGR and I were a little confused :p

Biledemon
February 27th, 2011, 03:27
jup ;)

Cool! Is it going to support online Multiplayer or LAN? That would be epic.

Reaper88
February 27th, 2011, 10:34
It would be online multiplayer only :-D And you dont need a client... Ok not exactly, you need a client -> your browser :D
LAN -> nope, the problem is that i plan to release source as soon i stop developing it. but in the meantime i dont want any security risks. Because the game-mechanics are purely server-side and the client is simply a visual view and controller for the player you wont be able to play without the server. So, about the lan option and singleplayer....
I could eventualy let you play multiple dungeons. The singleplayer dungeon wont exist because im not developing an keeper-ai. everyone is simply a player.
So a quick-match mode will generate you a small map where only you and your friends or enemys who you invite for a private match will be (the private battle mode will there be before the massivly multiplayer mode). That map lasts till the game ends or everyone has quit. You wont have long research times, and you will have extended gameplay. In the usual multiplayer mode you wont see all your dungeons and creatures. you can only zoom-in on one. think about the lag when you suddenly have 5000 imps running around in one dungeon (why ever some1 would do this). So the private mode will be a bit more detailed and get more action than the massive-online-part. But expect that you can play battles exactly like in the private part. My goal is that you will never sit around and do nothing like in many browsergames where you have to wait days till something is completed or researched.

But im still unsure about many points. If some1 likes writing wikis and planning with me together, i would setup a wiki which will then be filled with all the ideas and the features i will defenitly put into the game. Makes it a bit more clear for players and for me, so i got somoe kind of feature list.

dotted
February 27th, 2011, 11:02
i plan to release source as soon i stop developing it. but in the meantime i dont want any security risks.
Security through obscurity :(

Omnirok
February 28th, 2011, 21:38
What he means with "Schriftzug" are fonts ;-)

I'm german too and really like the idea, as i stated before ;-)

I am wuite good in php, (x)html, webdesign, css and especially Databases (MySQL foremost)

i'd love too help where i can, just email me!

dominik (at) familie-sigmund.de

Madkill
March 2nd, 2011, 19:16
If are able, try to allow the application to open up and utilise a similar system the Supremacy (http://www.supremacy1914.com/index.php?id=55) game functions, then it may reduce any possible form of lag completely.

tepkeeper666
December 16th, 2011, 12:42
just found the project...

is it still running?

Mothrayas
December 16th, 2011, 21:55
The topic creator's last activity is registered as over 8 months ago, and the webpage link doesn't have any content. So I doubt it.