PDA

View Full Version : Dungeon Keeper 2 Windows 7 x64 1.8 patch has no Mentor Voice

vision
February 6th, 2011, 03:49
My install of Dungeon Keeper 2, Windows 7 x64, 1.8 patch, has no Mentor Voice.
By mentor voice, I mean the omnipresent voice that talks to you throughout the levels.

I tried reinstalling with a different version of DKII, still no voice.

Does anyone have any suggestions on this?

Thank you

DragonsLover
February 6th, 2011, 19:54
Check in the options of the game if the speech volume is okay. Also, check in the "Dungeon Keeper 2\Data\Sound\Sfx" folder if you can spot "speech_mentor" folder or any other folders starting with "speech_".

vision
February 7th, 2011, 05:26
Thank you for your reply.

I checked the sound settings, speech is high and music is medium level.
When I change the Voice settings slider, it plays the mentor's voice, which is weird. There is just no voice in game, telling me to "GO TO BED", or whatnot.

In C:\Program Files (x86)\Bullfrog\Dungeon Keeper 2\Data\Sound\Sfx\speech_mentor, there is a speech_mentorHD.SDT file, that is 32megs.

Hmm. I think I am just going to uninstall, delete saves and stuff, then reinstall clean.

vision
February 7th, 2011, 19:51
I am stumped. I uninstalled DKII, deleted the DKII folder within the Bullfrog folder, reinstalled DKII, patched it, still no voice.
It seems when I reinstalled it, somehow the prior installations settings were saved, even though I manually deleted the remaining DKII folder before reinstalling?

Other than the lack of voice, and the screen scrolling way too fast, DKII is now super stable and almost perfect on Win7 64bit. I set it to compatibility, and 32bitdisplay toggles in the shortcut.

Airandius
February 7th, 2011, 21:11
1) Removing the folder does not remove registery keys. Those have to be cleared as well. (Regedit, though be careful. Remove the wrong keys and you might kill your pc.)
2) Try not patching or using patch 1.7 That 1.8 patch was nothing special or so I've been told.
3) You downloaded the game and it was broken to begin with.

vision
February 8th, 2011, 05:08
Ok.
I will do another uninstall, clear the registry keys, then reinstall and test before patching.

Thanks.

vision
February 11th, 2011, 08:33
Ok. all is well.
I searched the registry and found where the settings were saved, deleted. Then reinstalled DKII, then patched, then ran bonus packs. Running very well now in 98/ME compatibility mode, with -32bitdisplay -32bittextures -softwarefilter toggles enabled.

Thank you both assisting.