PDA

View Full Version : KeeperFX roadmap

Chr!x
February 15th, 2011, 16:33
Hi !

Another silly question for mefistotelis :

Is it possible making a roadmap for KeeperFX dev ? May be improvements & others stuffs will be easier and project will be more "comprehensive" for non-coder people like me ;)

May be not very usefull talking about schedule (bad pressure), but only features in first step :rolleyes:

Ex :

v0.39 :
* feature 1
* feature 2
* etc...

v0.4 :
* feature A
* feature B
* etc...

etc...

jomalin
February 15th, 2011, 16:47
http://keeper.lubie.org/html/dk_keeperfx_read.php

Look at the changelog, near middle of the page:

Changelog:

Version: 0.38b
Updated scripts for some maps
Fixed killing a creature which has an armour spell casted on
Improved some debugging messages
Rewritten some of entrance generation code
Fixed bug in hero attacking creature code
Fixed losing things due to lights overflow
Rewritten shot reaching its target
Added boulder immunity to creature config files

Version: 0.38a
Added mouse sensitivity modification option
Fixed crash on invalid movies video mode
Fixed problem with creatures standing next to lair
Fixed error in the new rooms merging algorithm

Chr!x
February 15th, 2011, 16:52
I already know this. Even, I check KeeperFX changes (https://code.google.com/p/keeperfx/source/list) on Google Code.

But there is a big difference between CHANGELOG & ROADMAP :rolleyes:

jomalin
February 15th, 2011, 16:53
I don't know the difference between ROADMAP and CHANGELOG

Chr!x
February 15th, 2011, 16:55
CHANGELOG = What has been done since last release.
ROADMAP = what I plan to do in future for next release(s).

mefistotelis
February 15th, 2011, 17:25
I don't have a strict design plan; it's more like opportunistic development.

I'm planning version 1.0.0 to no longer use the code in DLL - be completely rewritten. I also have a few milestone ideas, but not associated to specific version numbers.
So the plan is:
- To use FFMPEG to play SMK movies and remove references to old video playing code
- To use SDL for audio and remove use of DirectSound
- To write a graphical debugger/tracer for pathfinding and fix errors in pathfinding code
- To rewrite creature AI and fix mistakes there

I don't know yet what order I will take.
Also, P_Hansson may have his own ideas, and he'll be probably working on different things.

Chr!x
February 15th, 2011, 17:37
- To write a graphical debugger/tracer for pathfinding and fix errors in pathfinding code

I'm afraid not understanding : which errors ? which benefit ?

And what's about textures & sprites improvements ? :p

jomalin
February 15th, 2011, 22:12
And what's about textures & sprites improvements ? :p

I think before texture or sprites improvements, the things mefisto said must be first afforded, they are more important. The DK sprites were obtained from renderings of 3D models sure (that is what we call pre-rendered graphics), and we don't have these 3D models to modify they to add more poligons or get the sprites rendered at higher resolutions.

Chr!x
February 17th, 2011, 09:57
I don't have a strict design plan; it's more like opportunistic development.

And what's about a bugtracker ? This tools is very usefull for 'opportunistic' development :)

I think before texture or sprites improvements, the things mefisto said must be first afforded, they are more important. The DK sprites were obtained from renderings of 3D models sure (that is that we call pre-rendered graphics), and we don't have these 3D models to modify they to add more poligons or get the sprites rendered at higher resolutions.

WFTO team have 3D model for each creature. A probable synergy between the 2 projects would be welcome. Don't you think Mefistotelis ?

iggii
February 17th, 2011, 10:51
WFTO team have 3D model for each creature. A probable synergy between the 2 projects would be welcome. Don't you think Mefistotelis ?

Maybe it would be fine to make some teams cooperate instead of fragmentation of many smaller ones working on different projects. But there is possibility that everyone has their own visions and its not possible to merge them.

I think before texture or sprites improvements, the things mefisto said must be first afforded, they are more important. The DK sprites were obtained from renderings of 3D models sure (that is that we call pre-rendered graphics), and we don't have these 3D models to modify they to add more poligons or get the sprites rendered at higher resolutions.

So guys why don't we make those models? I have some experience with it... If you can import them later or tell me which ones to do and what to render?... let me know

Chr!x
February 17th, 2011, 11:04
I think Jomalin isn't involved in KeeperFX development, and his words are those of him.

It should be interesting hearing Mefistotelis opinion ;)

jomalin
February 17th, 2011, 12:48
I think Jomalin isn't involved in KeeperFX development, and his words are those of him. As you said, I'm not a KeeperFX developer, that was only my opinion. I give another one: changing the textures/sprites will make KeeperFX lost his original DK look, although that is a good idea, I think it must be released separated from KeeperFX as a patch like "TEXTURES AND SPRITES REPLACEMENT"

It should be interesting hearing Mefistotelis opinion ;) Of course

mefistotelis
February 19th, 2011, 08:47
I don't believe in merging the projects, but cooperation is surely possible.

KeeperFX would surely look better with rendered creatures from WFTO, and WFTO could use parts of KeeperFX code.

Anyway, I don't currently have any tool for making new creature sprites.

Chr!x
February 20th, 2011, 10:56
May be a possible improvement (http://www.keeperklan.com/threads/1681-Development-HQX-enhancement-inside-KeeperFX) without any new graphical stuff... Don't you think ?