PDA

View Full Version : Computer AI issues

naton9
February 16th, 2011, 18:55
the problem ive always had with this game is the computer ai. Most of the time the ai never mines gold and builds only a couple rooms then quits playing. ive patched the game now that i found this site and for the first map i played all computer opponets actually played and it was awesome haha :)

sadly the first map i played is the only map computer has played. any other map I play is just like before i patched- computer just sits there and does nothing. Am i doing something wrong or is there something im supposed to be doing? Im running KeeperFX v0.38b on vista

Tikah
February 21st, 2011, 13:13
really? nobody else has this problem? sorry I don't have an answer for you, but I do have the same issue. i like keeperfx, but who wants to play against an opponent that does nothing?

this reminds me of when i used to play old friends of mine long ago. I'd start to win and then find out they bitched out and just left their computers, leaving me playing against nothing. lol wtf

Ogre
February 21st, 2011, 13:18
Did you download the COMPLETE version of keeperFX? You didnt "patch" the orignial DK with keeperFX (If you did there's your problem)? KeeperFX is stand-alone nowadays. Can't figure out much more that could be the trouble, atm.

Tikah
February 21st, 2011, 13:35
as far as I know, yes. I downloaded it from keeper.lubie.org -

downloaded keeperfx CCP 0.38a, patched to 0.38b -

maybe it's because I have dk gold installed as well? I'll try uninstalling gold and post an update.

--UPDATE--

no, AI is till messed up. I tested out lvl 8 as an example, and the other keeper just sits there with its 4 imps, doesn't mine any gold, and gets nothing but flies through its portal.

Airandius
February 21st, 2011, 14:11
You could always try and use 0.37c
It's really stable for me. (I'll wait for 0.38c or something which has bug fixes and is also stable lol:P)

Tikah
February 21st, 2011, 14:20
hmm 0.37c

that's an older release right?

mefistotelis
February 21st, 2011, 14:49
I tested out lvl 8 as an example, and the other keeper just sits there with its 4 imps

How exactly did you get to lv8? dod you passed the firts 7?

Are there ary error/warning messages in keeperfx.log?

Metal Gear Rex
February 21st, 2011, 14:51
hmm 0.37c

that's an older release right?

Answer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22-HSjMS3Ks)

Tikah
February 21st, 2011, 15:14
How exactly did you get to lv8? dod you passed the firts 7?

Are there ary error/warning messages in keeperfx.log?

yes i was originally playing the campaign, and got up to lvl 8 when I noticed the other keeper was not doing anything. and that's when it dawned on me that all the previous levels which feature a rival keeper, the same thing was happening. As for the test, i just used the tool that comes with FX to select level 8, the last lvl I was on, to see if I could replicate the problem.

i didn't check the log, i actually removed the entire fx directory and am now downloading 0.37c atm to see if it's more stable. i'll try to re-recreate the problem through 0.38b again and post any errors i find.

Krizzie
February 21st, 2011, 16:55
I noticed that in 0.38x the AI is indeed a bit lazy. at first I thought it was campaign related but in every map they refuse to look for gold. They build with the money they get and then it stops. After a while they start to dig around the map near the hardened rock, but that's it.

mefistotelis
February 21st, 2011, 17:12
Confirmed - there AI can't properly dig for gold in v0.38b. Everything seems to be ok in v0.38a.

EDIT: I traced the problem to SVN r284 - will fix. The problem is quite severe, so a patch should be out within a week.

Krizzie
February 21st, 2011, 19:33
You're the best! :D

naton9
February 21st, 2011, 19:52
awesome! i own the game but i downloaded the stand alone then the patch so there wouldn't be issues

boy have i found issues. right now i modify all maps to give computer 9,999,999gp starting which causes the computer to play for the most part normally. the computer however started having lair issues as it would not build them at all anymore, i started having to build a lair for them and have them come take it. I also had a glitch where the computer's forces would all of a sudden all turn into chickens and them completely disappear wiping out his whole army (i found that this only happens when computer has at least one horn reaper in it's army) and this process kept repeating itself over and over again. sadly i didn't save a log of the problem. the computer will expand that workshop forever but it does not seem to know how to expand it's lairs and hatcheries when needed.

overall i like 38b as its the only version of the game period that runs on my computer without crashing which im very grateful for. I loved this game even with all of its faults but i never imagined this game having such a large community still active in the game after all this time

Airandius
February 21st, 2011, 19:53
Shame we can't paypal you guys. I small 'appreciation' for the work other than thank you should be possible. Darn copyright laws.

You might want to get your hands on the rights, also for WftO.

EDIT: As for the guy above me, there are a few 'offers' you can bring to the gods in the temple which makes them mad and turns all your units in chickens. I've seen A.I.'s do that on rare occasions.

naton9
February 21st, 2011, 19:59
i thought about that but since the ai doesnt build bridges/capture/torture/cast armagedon i figured that there would be no way the computer would be programmed to sacrifice.

Mothrayas
February 21st, 2011, 20:05
Actually, AI does build bridges.

And it sacrifices as well, albeit unintentionally; Horny gets angry, comp drops him in temple, but in pool instead of edge; horny sacrifice makes all other creatures angry, comp drops angry Bile Demon into temple, all creatures become chickens, comp drops angry Ghost into temple, all chickens die.

Chr!x
February 21st, 2011, 22:59
For thoses who wants to "test" Mefistotelis corrections, check this (http://dungeon-keeper.net/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=53&func=view&catid=106&id=28719#28719). Must be apply over 0.38b.

Thanks 4 Mefisto & the other for their fantastic job !

Krizzie
February 22nd, 2011, 18:05
Actually, AI does build bridges.

And it sacrifices as well, albeit unintentionally; Horny gets angry, comp drops him in temple, but in pool instead of edge; horny sacrifice makes all other creatures angry, comp drops angry Bile Demon into temple, all creatures become chickens, comp drops angry Ghost into temple, all chickens die.

I hope those "bugs" can be fixed later on. Maybe something like DK2 AI can be implented, as in several forms of AI.

DragonsLover
February 22nd, 2011, 20:38
Talking about AI issues, Chr!x got a problem with Tunnellers getting stuck behind a door or in a corner of their tunnel on the Full Moon level.

Savegame here: 684

Chr!x
February 22nd, 2011, 21:10
Thanks DragonsLover :) Few precisions :

* Save.zip include all files inside /save folder.
* Check fx1g0006.sav inside this archive (name "Full Moon bug")
* Some tunnellers (may be 5 or 6) are frozen at 3 different places:
1/ on north yellow dungeon heart.
2/ near 4 gem in center, on the left, in front of a door.
3/ at the bottom, on the right, in a non claim area.

May be they are tired ? :-P

p_hansson
February 23rd, 2011, 07:10
Confirmed - there AI can't properly dig for gold in v0.38b. Everything seems to be ok in v0.38a.

EDIT: I traced the problem to SVN r284 - will fix. The problem is quite severe, so a patch should be out within a week.

Was that problem related to failed Eclipse variable name refactoring?

mefistotelis
February 23rd, 2011, 08:13
No, refactoring was correct.

The gold digging routine was just commented out during an attempt to rewrite it.

naton9
February 25th, 2011, 18:13
they are now mining for gold, thanks for the quick fix :)

for now ive just disabled the 'horny makes creatures angry' sacrifice recipe in the temple just to prevent computer from wiping out his army and player knows better.