PDA

View Full Version : Crash bug in 0.38c, sound problem?

wackyfeline
March 7th, 2011, 18:43
Hi guys,

I've been having some random crashes recently while playing with version 0.38c. I'm quite sure that it isn't due to something that I did (placing rooms, dropping creatures etc) and I have suspicions about what could've caused it. It should be noted that I experienced no crashes at all while using 0.38b.

First, a sample from my log file:

LbDataFree: freeing "*PALETTE"...done
LbDataFree: freeing "*SCRATCH"...done
Sync: GraphicsHeap Size 8388608
Sync: SoundHeap Size 8388608
Sync: Sound samples in banks: 840,126
Sync: Pentium Pro polygon rendering on
Sync: Recomputing fade tables
Error: setup_game: Failed to initialize Speech module: KeeperSpeech module not found
LbDataFree: freeing "data/hpointer.dat"...done
LbDataFree: freeing "data/hpointer.tab"...done
Sync: LbScreenSetup: Mode 640x480x32 setup succeeded
Sync: get_startup_menu_state: Standard startup state selected
Sync: Frontend state change from 0 into 1
Sync: Created menu at slot 0, pos (0,0) size (640,480)
Sync: Frontend state change from 1 into 2

Emphasis mine.

I've been noticing that the rival keepers haven't been insulting me and such, except for level 13, Buffy Oak. Incidentally, I played that level all the way through without having experienced a crash. All other levels that I've played (11-15) I've experienced at least one crash.

Could it be that the rival keepers' taunts were not executed correctly and caused the crash? This is what I suspect but I could be wrong. Part of the reason why I arrived at this conclusion is that while I was using 0.38b with the obvious imp mining bug, the keepers didn't have the chance to develop a fully formed dungeon and I never heard a peep out of them.

Another important point to note is that in one level, I got tired of a crash within 10 minutes of every attempt and bumrushed both keepers with a level 10 Vampire. They were promptly defeated and I had no crashes whatsoever.

There is still room for doubt that something else might have caused it; the problem may even lie on my side if no one else has this problem. But this is what I've got so far and I hope it helps with your continued development.

mefistotelis
March 7th, 2011, 19:39
The KeeperSpeech module has nothing to do with this.

I will remove that error message. I knew it will cause confusion, I should have done that before.

To trace the bug, please upload a saved game which reproduces the crash, or play with -packetsave and upload the packet file.

wackyfeline
March 8th, 2011, 00:13
Apologies for jumping into conclusions, I'll try not to do that next time.

Either way, I've uploaded the packet file on here. This time round it froze when I was on the map screen. Based on what you've said about the false alarm in the log and the changed circumstances, I'm now unsure about what's caused it. This is all I have, hope it helps.

p_hansson
March 8th, 2011, 02:37
Yes, please remove/rename it (maybe "Not using voice commands" as a simple notice would be better).

I'll release voice commands soon btw, I haven't figured out anything more to add.