PDA

View Full Version : Re-create Dungeon Keeper II by ourselfes

sevensupreme
March 11th, 2011, 13:57
I had this idea some months ago and i'd be defenitly hard to challange.
We all hoped for the game Dungeons but that failed unfortunately so i thought we take the old game and re-create it with hi-def textures, a working multiplayer and so on. Open Source of course everyone can add changes.
Maybe ya know the Dolphin Project (Wii & Gamecube Emulator), there work alot of coders at the same time. I thought something like that. I guess Dungeon Keeper have alot of fans so this could be done..

What you think?

dotted
March 11th, 2011, 15:55
Starting an open source project is insanely hard, your best bet is waiting for War for the Overworld, even though it isn't a DK2 remake.

A New Room
March 11th, 2011, 16:04
Starting an open source project is insanely hard, your best bet is waiting for War for the Overworld, even though it isn't a DK2 remake.

Pretty much this ^

Also Dungeons isn't the only fish in the DK like sea, there are a fair few games that use somewhat similar mechanics. Evil Genius (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evil_Genius_(video_game)), Startopia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Startopia), and the facebook game Dungeon Overlord (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pBP6tWy1NE), are just a few that I can name off the top of my head.

Mothrayas
March 11th, 2011, 17:04
Maybe ya know the Dolphin Project (Wii & Gamecube Emulator), there work alot of coders at the same time. I thought something like that. I guess Dungeon Keeper have alot of fans so this could be done..

Take the DK fanbase, then subtract everyone who can't: A) Code a game, and B) be dedicated enough to work in a team to code an entire DK sequel. I'll be surprised if you can come up with more than a handful of people.

Also, check out War for the Overworld on the forum, it's basically just that except it's not a direct DK2 remake.

Madkill
March 13th, 2011, 18:56
Why would you re-make DKII? Why?

Krizzie
March 13th, 2011, 20:37
I'd rather see something like KeeperFX for DK2. A more stable and bug free version. :)

Metal Gear Rex
March 13th, 2011, 20:47
I'd rather see something like KeeperFX for DK2. A more stable and bug free version. :)

I think there's too much for anyone to do that without quiting due to lack of motivation to continue.

Krizzie
March 14th, 2011, 09:12
Luckaly it works for DK1, that's a better game anyway. :P

MaxHayman
March 18th, 2011, 18:45
Theres allways NBK its a dk1 remake but it could be for dk2 with some changes.

Tami Kovacs
July 1st, 2011, 19:32
I don't know...if all we have to do is take the original game files and iron out the stability issues and update it for a modern system, it wouldn't be that hard. Considering that KeeperFX has been a success, we're more or less copying the guy who did that, just for a slightly different game. And depending on how much enthusiasm and how many people there are, sure, more bugfixing could be done and maybe even at a stretch prettying up the graphics a bit.
(On a related note, I'd love to see a DK1 installer set up for Windows 7. I can't even get it to install, let alone run KeeperFX.)

Mothrayas
July 1st, 2011, 19:39
(On a related note, I'd love to see a DK1 installer set up for Windows 7. I can't even get it to install, let alone run KeeperFX.)

You don't need to have DK1 installed to run KeeperFX.

(You do need files from the DK1 CD, but not necessarily the game installed)

natchoguy
July 1st, 2011, 19:42
if WftO is going to be open-source (dunno, is it?), you can just modify it. Or if they can add an exclusive for map-making; a DK2 option of creatures and gameplay (but all the devs need to agree on it first)

Zyraen
July 2nd, 2011, 05:35
I've never played DK2 before, but just my notes from seeing Community Modding / Creative Teams from Baldur's Gate II (there's a project since 2005 called the Broken Hourglass, and the IC is even paying some of his coders!! - that is not complete. the again JC has always been a perfectionist )

1) It is best to Rely on yourself to Code / Mod / Create the whole thing. Using others open source (like WFTO) is a great idea if you can wait, or find other engines and create the required functions to support a DK set up.
2) It is good to have 1-2 other people who have Interest to drive you / encourage you / show interest. Lack of motivation / interest kills a lot of creative stuff, and the creation usually takes sheer nitty gritty hard work.
3) Unless you have no life at all, don't schedule to work during holidays. Chances are you'll end up doing something else, I've "failed" myself countless times that way lol. I think most (crazy) people work best when they're facing some sort of stress / relief, like a mid term pre-or-post test break, or having relationship problems, bored in the office/lecture, or stuck overseas and without any social life.

Yeah lol, that's about all I can say.
If you have the time, I'd like to point out that KeeperFX has very clear and concise code in CPP, you can look at it to get an idea how to work on converting it for DKII. Its FREELY available on the SVN trunk.
I suggest contacting Mefistofelis for technical advice if you like :)

theleo_ua
August 30th, 2011, 23:55
I had this idea some months ago and i'd be defenitly hard to challange.
We all hoped for the game Dungeons but that failed unfortunately so i thought we take the old game and re-create it with hi-def textures, a working multiplayer and so on. Open Source of course everyone can add changes.

What you think?

It is not a standalone solution, but maybe you will be interested: http://www.sc2mapster.com/maps/hive-keeper/

It planned as full DK2 remake as I understand, but this is SC2 map - not a standalone exe.

Richardf269
November 18th, 2011, 17:58

Well, I honestly hope it's not going to suck. DK2 was pretty lame, in my opinion.

MaxHayman
November 19th, 2011, 11:34
Dk2 is fine it dosent need a remake.

Richardf269
November 19th, 2011, 16:26
I think it would need a remake...and I mean "start over from scratch" remake. DK2 is a pile of crap compared to DK1. They changed it too much (gameplay, I mean). Monsters being stunned when dropped? No thanks. Slower working imps even when slapped? No thanks. Mana? No thanks. I want my spells using gold, please. Can't train my creatures passed level 4 in training room? No thanks. Do not want. Sorry.

Mothrayas
November 19th, 2011, 21:49
Oh hell, not another DK2 rocks/sucks debate.

Stop it. Now.