PDA

View Full Version : Free experience for Warlock, Dragon and Tentacle.

Captain Rage
April 10th, 2011, 16:00
I've read in different guides that if a Warlock has his lair adjectant to a gold seam tile he will gain experience while resting in his lair. The guides also say that the same thing goes for a Dragon and lava tiles or a Tentacle and water tiles. However, I never got it to work (playing Dungeon Keeper Gold). Did they remove this feature in some patch after the prepatched version of Dungeon Keeper?

Enker-Zan
April 10th, 2011, 16:07
That only seemed to work for me when I was playing this game on a Windows 2000 system or earlier.

mefistotelis
April 10th, 2011, 18:44
This function does work; but originally the experience gain is so small, that it's completely unnoticable. DragonsLover fixed that in his patch.

DragonsLover
April 10th, 2011, 22:37
Yup, it works, but you must wait like <insert a big number here> paydays until the creature gains a level. Of course, I have altered this and now, it takes less time. Hmmm... perhaps I should still take a look at this.

Mothrayas
April 10th, 2011, 22:47
Just wondering, what's the exact number of experience gained? Like, 1 point per x game turns or something?

I suppose it was just another piece of bugged code that Bullfrog didn't get around to fix (like, say, the Word of Power spell damage bug).

Captain Rage
April 11th, 2011, 07:48
Really? Perhaps I was too impatient when testing it out then... :p The funny thing is that when I was younger I played Dungeon Keeper quite alot for some period of time and now when I've "re-discovered" this game I realize that I missed out on many hidden things, details and gameplay tricks. I knew about some of the easter eggs, but not that there were so many. Dungeon Keeper has indeed more thought thrown into it than first meets the eye.

Just wondering, what's the exact number of experience gained? Like, 1 point per x game turns or something?

I'm also curious about this.

I suppose it was just another piece of bugged code that Bullfrog didn't get around to fix (like, say, the Word of Power spell damage bug).

You mean that spell that virtually never did any damage...?

DragonsLover
April 11th, 2011, 20:03

Okay, after doing some tests, I realized that I did something wrong. Apparently, the experience gain value for sleeping is an unsigned 8bit integer, meaning it goes from 0 to 255. If I go higher, it works the same way as the Dexterity bug, meaning that, if I write 256, it's equal to 0, 257 = 1, 258 = 2 and so on... And I wrote 500 (oops)!

The experience gain value for sleeping is the "percentage" of experience gained per game turn before reaching the next level. By default, here are the "percentage" values (note that it's not 100 based, but 255 based):

By default:
:dragon: = 3 (or 1,18%) near lava
:warlock: = 1 (or 0,39%) near gold
:tentacle: = 2 (or 0,74%) near water

Since it takes 1000 experience points to reach level 2 and it increases of 3/255 for each game turn, this means that it takes 85000 game turns ((255*1000)/3) until the :dragon: increases of level if he sleeps non-stop (never wakes up whatsoever) next to lava which never happens since he wakes up constantly after some times and goes for food and pay, meaning it even requires more time (almost the double). I let you imagine how much game turns it is required to get to level 10)! :D
For the :warlock:, it's 255000 game turns, and for the :tentacle:, it's 127500 game turns, always just for reaching level 2.

You can see that's it totally insane! Here, I'm gonna increase these values a lot so that it takes waaay less time than that.

Shogun
April 12th, 2011, 08:34
Okay, after doing some tests, I realized that I did something wrong. Apparently, the experience gain value for sleeping is an unsigned 8bit integer, meaning it goes from 0 to 255. If I go higher, it works the same way as the Dexterity bug, meaning that, if I write 256, it's equal to 0, 257 = 1, 258 = 2 and so on... And I wrote 500 (oops)!

The experience gain value for sleeping is the "percentage" of experience gained per game turn before reaching the next level. By default, here are the "percentage" values (note that it's not 100 based, but 255 based):

By default:
:dragon: = 3 (or 1,18%) near lava
:warlock: = 1 (or 0,39%) near gold
:tentacle: = 2 (or 0,74%) near water

Since it takes 1000 experience points to reach level 2 and it increases of 3/255 for each game turn, this means that it takes 85000 game turns ((255*1000)/3) until the :dragon: increases of level if he sleeps non-stop (never wakes up whatsoever) next to lava which never happens since he wakes up constantly after some times and goes for food and pay, meaning it even requires more time (almost the double). I let you imagine how much game turns it is required to get to level 10)! :D
For the :warlock:, it's 255000 game turns, and for the :tentacle:, it's 127500 game turns, always just for reaching level 2.

You can see that's it totally insane! Here, I'm gonna increase these values a lot so that it takes waaay less time than that.

I think I read about the extra points for placing the lairs next to various things in the Original Dungeon Keeper Manual. I always tried it but never saw any gain, now I know why lol.

Also, just out of curiosity

Did "The dreadful demise of Derek the dauntless" book come in the overseas version of the game?

Shogun :samurai:

Lord Onatu
April 12th, 2011, 15:14
Could this be added into WotO?

Metal Gear Rex
April 12th, 2011, 16:47
Could this be added into WotO?

What is "Woto"?

Either way, this is an inappropriate thread for that question to be asked.

Enker-Zan
April 15th, 2011, 02:27
What is "Woto"?

Either way, this is an inappropriate thread for that question to be asked.

War Of The Overworld I would assume.

Metal Gear Rex
April 15th, 2011, 05:18
War Of The Overworld I would assume.

I know what he meant, I was teasing him on his typo of WftO.