PDA

View Full Version : When creatures enter through the portal...

Captain Rage
April 14th, 2011, 17:50
... they always go to the dungeon heart and touch it, before proceeding to make a lair or do whatever. Has this any gameplay effect at all? Are they pledging allegiance to you as a keeper? :P Does anybody know? If you pick them up and drop them before they do this they will skip this action altogether.

Mothrayas
April 14th, 2011, 18:06
I suppose it's pledging allegiance to a keeper, but gameplaywise it doesn't effect anything. It's just a neat little touch.

Enker-Zan
April 15th, 2011, 02:24
Actualy it was a glitch the developer never fixed. You aren't supposed to have control over that monster untill it has touched the Dungeon Heart of it's owner.

Metal Gear Rex
April 15th, 2011, 05:19
Actualy it was a glitch the developer never fixed. You aren't supposed to have control over that monster untill it has touched the Dungeon Heart of it's owner.

You know this how? Where did you obtain this information?

Shogun
April 15th, 2011, 05:28
I also noticed along with this issue, that if a neutral creature is loitering near you land, dragon in lava or ghost on water, all you need to do is become one of your creatures walk near it, then unposess and it becomes yours.

Shogun :samurai:

Mothrayas
April 15th, 2011, 15:16
I also noticed along with this issue, that if a neutral creature is loitering near you land, dragon in lava or ghost on water, all you need to do is become one of your creatures walk near it, then unposess and it becomes yours.

Yes, that's basically how neutral creatures work in DK1. Get a creature of yours near them, and they will join you. I don't see the "issue" in this. Nor do I see any reason why you posted this, anyway.

Enker-Zan
April 15th, 2011, 22:42
Yes, that's basically how neutral creatures work in DK1. Get a creature of yours near them, and they will join you. I don't see the "issue" in this. Nor do I see any reason why you posted this, anyway.

I always found it annoying when the creature would be point blank in front of you in uneven terrain and won't join you unless your on the same height level.

You know this how? Where did you obtain this information?

There used to be a fan site many MANY years back that had some of the developers as moderators and they told us that when we asked about it.

Krizzie
April 16th, 2011, 10:13

Would be funny if there's a massive battle going on around the dungeon heart and a Warlock walks in *lalalalalala* poofs the heart and only then notices there's a battle going on. :P

Searingflame2
April 16th, 2011, 14:21
You're the keeper?!
Well, I didn't pledge to you.

DragonsLover
April 16th, 2011, 21:13

LIE! Here's a line from the source code of the game. This was amongst the list of "creature states":

_DK_creature_present_to_dungeon_heart(struct Thing *thing);

So, YEAH, like Mothrayas said, the creature is doing this for pleding allegiance. If they're distracted, if they can't access to the dungeon heart or if they're picked up and dropped back, they won't present to the dungeon heart, but it's not really necessary anyway as they already belong to you anyway. You can, yeah, lock the Dungeon Heart room and they'll already aim for building their lair, getting some extra time.

Thanks Enker-Zan for not saying anything. :p And I have no idea what site you're talking about. What was it?

Madkill
April 16th, 2011, 21:22
"Actualy it was a glitch the developer never fixed. You aren't supposed to have control over that monster untill it has touched the Dungeon Heart of it's owner."

That'd suck if you had a portal half-way across the map.

I always thought that if your heart was attacked then whenever new creatures came they replenished the hearts health.

DragonsLover
April 16th, 2011, 21:41
Nope, but the Dungeon Heart actually heals itself over time.

Enker-Zan
April 17th, 2011, 02:50
I don't even know how to read that code, and no I wouldn't lie if it wasn't true. I would imagine the source was never altered because they never fixed it?

The site was called www.keeperfanatics.com, the site was taken down back in 2004 I think, that was the last time I saw it.

Shogun
April 17th, 2011, 03:12

Because I thought it might be a glitch also.

DragonsLover
April 17th, 2011, 19:08
I don't even know how to read that code, and no I wouldn't lie if it wasn't true. I would imagine the source was never altered because they never fixed it?

The site was called www.keeperfanatics.com, the site was taken down back in 2004 I think, that was the last time I saw it.

You sure about that? There's nothing such in Web Archives and nothing on Google as well...

Perhaps it was a glitch never fixed, perhaps not, but for now, we have what we have now.