PDA

View Full Version : Lightning and Drain - Bugged?

psycopath
May 8th, 2011, 17:14
I was trying out the new 0.39, and it works well, and my only complaint is that spells like Lightning and drain for creatures (e.g. Dark Mistress), the spells, instead of hitting the creatures, bypass the creatures and just reach out as far as it can, thus dealing no damage.

Not a gamebreaker, but some levels become harder/impossible without it dealing damage.

Mister Giggles
May 8th, 2011, 20:24
Yeah, I've mentioned it in my own thread. It's annoying, but not game breaking...or crashing. <_<

Although, since I use Mistresses as my main army later in the game...ek.

mefistotelis
May 8th, 2011, 20:28
Do they always miss the target, or only sometimes?

Mister Giggles
May 8th, 2011, 21:10
Unless I possess the creature and aim myself, they'll always miss. Even aiming myself, it's somewhat unlikely I'll hit what I'm targeting.

However, when targeting doors, they'll hit the doors normally.

FlyYouFools
May 17th, 2011, 01:10
Yep, I have exactly the same problem in that the lightning and drain are bugged and NEVER hit. Another issue is that flame breath from dragons (might be the same for hellhounds, havent checked) also doesn't do any damage. I've tried in multiple levels and neither of these things inflict damage to enemies.

Kind of annoying..

Replica
May 17th, 2011, 02:35
I compiled source code to try the SVN.
You’re doing a great job.

I also noticed the problem with range attack spells not hitting the enemy.

Also I think something else might be wrong with the imps.

They seem to act a tiny bit differently when you have two jobs at once, like when gold is selected to dig out and imps are all digging at the gold, then try and drop one of your imps on top of your claimed tile to possess some more tiles.

Resulting in the imp only claiming one tile then going back to the gold, but usually the imp would continue to possess more tiles.

Keep up the good work :-)

Krizzie
May 17th, 2011, 11:10
Noticed the Drain/Lightning bug too, Mistresses kept missing when trying to kill an enemy dungeon heart. I didn't notice it at first so they were at it for 5 minutes or so and never hit the heart.

The Imps have a short attention span indeed, might also need some looking into, but that's a bit offtopic for this topic. :P

Keeper_Infernal
May 17th, 2011, 17:07
Got this problem too.. :(

it totaly killed the dark mistres,dragon and vapire... (NO VAPIRES!!! :()

ii think it is a "gamebraker" and shold be fixed imidietly for a normal gaming..

PLSSS find a solution guys PLSS!!!:(

FlyYouFools
May 17th, 2011, 18:05
Also here to confirm that Imps act strangely just as previously mentioned. If there's a job to do such as mining gold whilst there are also tiles to take over, if you drop an imp on a tile to take it over it will then take over that tile but bugger off and attempt to either fortify/dig rather than carry on with what i told it to do.

Krizzie
May 17th, 2011, 18:19
Imps are fixed as stated in the thread bellow this one. ;)

FlyYouFools
May 17th, 2011, 19:53
Do I have to re-download 0.39 in order for it to fix?

Elven Spellmaker
May 17th, 2011, 20:05
Imps do still behave weirdly in 0.39 for me.
EDIT: Imps are fixed if you download the SVN code and compile it. :)

Also I have the same lightning problem.

The level with two claiming skeletons is where I worked this out. Their lightning just goes through everything and only 1 in 100 shots hit.

mefistotelis
May 17th, 2011, 21:29
Back to the subject, is the problem newly introduced in v0.39, or was it already there in v0.38c? Could someone check that for sure?

Krizzie
May 17th, 2011, 21:33
It's new in 0.39.

Elven Spellmaker
May 17th, 2011, 22:21
Do I have to re-download 0.39 in order for it to fix?

Go to Google Code and checkout the latest SVN version. ( http://keeperfx.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ )

Build the code and replace your old files with the built files, as well as replacing the data files.

Look at this topic here: Bulding from SVN code (http://keeperklan.com/threads/1664-How-to-build-KeeperFX-pre-release-SVN-from-scratch), specifically this post (http://keeperklan.com/threads/1664-How-to-build-KeeperFX-pre-release-SVN-from-scratch?p=28458&viewfull=1#post28458) and this post (http://keeperklan.com/threads/1664-How-to-build-KeeperFX-pre-release-SVN-from-scratch?p=28465&viewfull=1#post28465).

(Saved games from 0.39 don't seem to work with the newly compiled 0.39 on Google Code.)

Keeper_Infernal
May 18th, 2011, 05:50
What is the "SVN Code"? Oo (were can i download it? pls link?)

PLS FIX THE CREATURE SPELLS!!! (I miss vamps..)

Mister Giggles
May 18th, 2011, 08:11
SVN is where the source code for KeeperFX is kept...

You can use the source code to compile the game, and thus get the latest changes/fixes. However, it's REALLY freaking hard to get it to compile. I've tried it multiple times over the last couple years, never did manage to successfully compile it.

I like to consider myself somewhat computer literate, but the SVN kicked my ass hardcore. So my recommendation is, just wait until Mephisto gets a patch out. He's fixed the Imp attention span bug, but the lightning/drain/firebreath bug still hasn't been touched.

Keeper_Infernal
May 18th, 2011, 08:19
ugh man this sucks.. i really dont care too much about the imp problem since its not that important but the creature spells problem (with drain,lightning) is killling atleast 3 creatures.. (mybe even 4..) this problem is forcing me to play my entaire game with warlocks&bile demons since they are the only efective creture left -_-.. (from the evils ofcourse..)

Blue Giraffe
May 18th, 2011, 13:00
Hey, I've been playing KeeperFX and I just wanted to confirm that the lightning, drain, and fire breath spells all shoot over their targets. See the attachment to my post for a debug logfile, a packetfile, and a map that all should demonstrate the bug.

BTW Mefistotelis, you are great.

DragonsLover
May 18th, 2011, 20:47
Always remember that if the game is still very buggy, you can go back and play a previous version. In my case, I didn't touch to Keeper FX 0.38 up to 0.39, I still play version 0.37c because it's the most stable version imho.

FlyYouFools
May 19th, 2011, 15:21
I'll go and download 0.37 then. As previously said this bug renders a few creatures useless so that the game becomes a bile demon spam.

Keeper_Infernal
May 19th, 2011, 17:40
tryed to download version 0.37...

i launched the game,no cool video showing the knight getting bullyed by the reaper&bile demon, the next picture had a bugg with the colors, instead of its original colors it was all painted in all rainbow colors ( like when you brake you phones screen, everything becomes colorfull) and the last picture was literaly Twisted... Thos was the minor problem..

The MAJOR problem is that... I CANT PLAY!!!! :( :( :(

i launch a map,the screen becomes black, and then Puff! it exit to desktop without a eror massege sound each...

PLZ HELP!!!!!

(if other ppl has this problem mention it! this wey i can tell if its me or its the game...)

(Note i tryed all the avalabile patches for this version.. i allso tryed 0.33 and all its patches.. the first version dident even wanted too launch *Bile Demon face*)

mefistotelis
May 19th, 2011, 19:53
Problem fixed in SVN.

Mothrayas
May 19th, 2011, 20:04
tryed to download version 0.37...

i launched the game,no cool video showing the knight getting bullyed by the reaper&bile demon, the next picture had a bugg with the colors, instead of its original colors it was all painted in all rainbow colors ( like when you brake you phones screen, everything becomes colorfull) and the last picture was literaly Twisted... Thos was the minor problem..

The MAJOR problem is that... I CANT PLAY!!!! :( :( :(

i launch a map,the screen becomes black, and then Puff! it exit to desktop without a eror massege sound each...

PLZ HELP!!!!!

(if other ppl has this problem mention it! this wey i can tell if its me or its the game...)

(Note i tryed all the avalabile patches for this version.. i allso tryed 0.33 and all its patches.. the first version dident even wanted too launch *Bile Demon face*)

Check the KeeperFX readme and the logfile. It's probably the most common issue people have with it; how to fix it is detailed in the readme FAQ.

Blue Giraffe
May 20th, 2011, 01:37
Problem fixed in SVN.

Thank you!

Mister Giggles
May 20th, 2011, 03:58
When will a patch be released, Mefistotelis?

Replica
May 20th, 2011, 05:26
When will a patch be released, Mefistotelis?

Hi Mister Giggles.

If anyone wants to try or is having trouble compiling an SVN I have compiled some if interested.

Until a patch gets released you can also try out one of the SVN's if you want.
I have compiled the Revision 351 @ http://multi-players-zone.com/keeperfx/svn/20110519-351

If interested to try an SVN.

All you would need to do is extract the files to your "KeeperFX" game folder and overwrite them.

Also the bugs mentioned above should be fixed in this SVN.

Keeper_Infernal
May 20th, 2011, 14:08
Ty mothrayas i was finally able to play regulary with the help of the readme file :)

still the other problem (with the colors) is still here since i dident undersood what am i suposed to do (unfortenatly i brought a new PC with windows 7 ultimate god know why...:bile:and i dont know how to folfil the orders the readme file gave me..)

il write the things the readme file told me to do and i hope you will translate it to me to computer noob languege :D (pictures are welcomed ofcourse :)

the orders:

Select "Run in 256 colors" and "Run in 640x480" in the
program properties, and change lines in KEEPERFX.CFG
into those written in next answer

thx ahead!! :D

Replica
May 20th, 2011, 16:43
Ty mothrayas i was finally able to play regulary with the help of the readme file :)

still the other problem (with the colors) is still here since i dident undersood what am i suposed to do (unfortenatly i brought a new PC with windows 7 ultimate god know why...:bile:and i dont know how to folfil the orders the readme file gave me..)

il write the things the readme file told me to do and i hope you will translate it to me to computer noob languege :D (pictures are welcomed ofcourse :)

the orders:

Select "Run in 256 colors" and "Run in 640x480" in the
program properties, and change lines in KEEPERFX.CFG
into those written in next answer

thx ahead!! :D

Hmmm,

Seems a bit off topic.

But you are most likely getting these color problems because you have the resolutions set to 8 bit colors causing palette problems like all old games in Windows 7.

To fix it you can use x16 or x32 bit colors.

Edit your "keeperfx.cfg" and change the following lines for your resolution as follows,

FRONTEND_RES=640x480x32 640x480x32 640x480x32

INGAME_RES=640x480x32 1024x768x32 640x480x32

If you have Java then you should just be able to run "KeeperFXTools.jar" or the .bat file to set your screen resolution to 32 bit colors or so.

http://multi-players-zone.com/images/javalaunch.png

TheJohn11313
May 21st, 2011, 09:50
Compiling doesn't work for me. From what I understand its because the makefile tells it to use an "mv" command that doesn't exist, but I dunno how to fix this.

'Generating: obj/ver_defs.h'
mv -f "obj/tmp" "obj/ver_defs.h"
'mv' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
minGW32-make: *** [obj/ver_defs.h] Error 1

Keeper_Infernal
May 21st, 2011, 16:03
followed you instructions... no luck and i cant find that KeeperFXTool thing... help? :(

Replica
May 21st, 2011, 19:03
followed you instructions... no luck and i cant find that KeeperFXTool thing... help? :(

"KeeperFXTools.jar" I just had to double click on it, however it might not work if JAVA is not installed.

You could try and download my "keeperfx.cfg" config file that I have attached for you as a ZIP file and inside is the CFG file, set using "640x480x32" video modes.
Just replace your "keeperfx.cfg" file with this one inside your game folder location of where you installed KeeperFX.

It should ask you if you want to overwrite it, choose yes.
And hopefully that will resolve your rainbow color issue.

Good luck :-)

FlyYouFools
May 21st, 2011, 19:04
Hi Mister Giggles.

If anyone wants to try or is having trouble compiling an SVN I have compiled some if interested.

Until a patch gets released you can also try out one of the SVN's if you want.
I have compiled the Revision 351 @ http://multi-players-zone.com/keeperfx/svn/20110519-351

If interested to try an SVN.

All you would need to do is extract the files to your "KeeperFX" game folder and overwrite them.

Also the bugs mentioned above should be fixed in this SVN.

Upvote for this. If you dont want to fanny around with SVN's and stuff which is particularly complicated then download this. Many thanks!

Keeper_Infernal
May 21st, 2011, 21:32
ty so much for your efforts but sadly it still gives me the rainbow colors.. :(

any other idies?? :(

Replica
May 22nd, 2011, 03:03
ty so much for your efforts but sadly it still gives me the rainbow colors.. :(

any other idies?? :(

Hmmm.

I find it strange you would still get the color problem even if you use 16/24/32 bit color depths.

The only other thing I can think of at the moment is following a short guide @ http://yang-online.com/methods/methods.htm.
Assuming you are using Windows 7?

Unsure about Vista though.

[xDuke - 19.8 - Method 1]

Trying to change the Windows 7 theme to Windows Classic.
Then open the "Screen Resolution" window and keep it open when you begin to start KeeperFX.

There is a second method which is closing your "explorer.exe".

I don't really recommend using the "w7ddpatcher-withsource.zip" explained at the start because it doesn't really work for everyone.
In my experience with Windows 7 color issues with the color going all strange.

Method 1 and 2 has at least worked fine for me when testing with some older games to get rid of the color issue problem temporarily.
Not a real fix though, as you have to do it every time you start your game.

Method 2 I wouldn't use either unless you know what you are doing.
So instead when you start "KeeperFX" you can ALT+TAB out of the game and then press CTRL+ALT+DEL.

Find your explorer.exe in the Task Manager and end the process.
Then hold down ALT+TAB to get back into your game.

To get your desktop back after the game you have to press CTRL+ALT+DEL again.
Then click on file and "New Task Run".

And type into the text box "explorer.exe".

This will make you able to see your desktop again.
Or you could just reboot if you can't get it back.

Mister Giggles
May 22nd, 2011, 04:37
John,

I had the EXACT same error until today. You need to install the following:

http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/

And, of course, add its directory to your PATH string.

KeeperFX should compile just fine.

Keeper_Infernal
May 22nd, 2011, 06:42
TY soo much, the explorer.exe thing solved the problem. :)

finally i can uleash my evil on the underworld lands without getting my screen rainbowed... :horny: