PDA

View Full Version : Unofficial Patch v1.8 - Status

Tomix
September 25th, 2009, 17:09
Hi all,

after the patches 1.71, 1.72 and 1.73 I started to make a new patch, a bigger patch, a greater patch ... Patch 1.8.

It was hard work, because of Bullfrogs "userfriendly" file-formats and some difficult bugs. The patch is NOT finished yet. There are still some problems.

So I will discribe now things where are fixed, things I have problems with and things I want to do. I hope some people wanna help me, because alone it would take years to finish this update.

This update is only to fix bugs and solve problems with the game. No balance changes, map changes or something else ... maybe in 1.9 ;) .

1.Successful changes:

- The game can now be played without CD (not shattering i think :) )
- The movies can be watched without CD
- Solved the problem with SafeDisk
- No freezes ingame anymore (at my computer, don't testet with others...)
- The german version of this game is now uncut (no need to delete files or change registry)
- QSound fixed (99% stable with QSound ON)
- Players with different language-versions of DK2 can chat in the lobby
- All creatures in the campaign now available and no problems with the end of the levels
- The maps "Furnace" and "Olympia" are compatible to each player
- The maps "Islands" and "Platform" are available for skirmish
- The map "Traptime" is available for multiplayer
- The official DK2-Editor and the three Bonus-Packs are included in this patch
- The mainmenu of DK2 doesn't lag anymore (but the menu looks not really well)

2.Known bugs that really have to be fixed:

CHAT-BUG - The game crashes if one player use TAB to chat
MONEY-BUG - The game crashes if one players goldreserve goes under 0
PLAYER-BUG - The game crashes if one player presses Space, ESC or go out of the game when he/she is defeated
AI-BUG - The AI have problems dropping creatures with the "Hand of Evil"
RESET-BUG - When a player goes while DK2 is running to the desktop, sometimes some settings will be resetted
KEYBOARD-BUG - Keyboard settings will not be saved
BUTTON-BUG - Players can use Magic-Boxes more than one times
NORTH/SOUTH-BUG - Creatures in the south are more powerful than their opponents in the north

3. Things who I want to do:

- Make the menu faster and look well (.BF4-Files are the problem to do that)
- A higher resolution than 1280x800, that means 1280x1024 and 1600x1200
- Make the AI more powerful
- Enable these features without complications/conflicts: biliniar filtering, 32bit and EMBM
- Allow to play up to 5 players online

I really hope somebody can help me with some of this, especially for this bugs where are "saved" somewhere in the code of DK2.

Krizzie
September 25th, 2009, 17:30
I would love to see proper (graphics)hardware support, but I guess that would be pretty hard to implent.

dotted
September 25th, 2009, 17:34
Maybe you should write whats new in 1.8 instead of copy pasting 1.73, and pass it off as your own work.

Hapuga
September 25th, 2009, 19:02
Hey, when you start with AI, contact me and Jibbits, we'll tell you what we did in order for you not to do the same mistakes/actions. Even better, lets cooperate on this part.

dk2player
September 26th, 2009, 01:58
hey, when you happen to finish with this, can you replace the title screen with this:

Black writing:

http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/9798/titlescreenfor18.th.png (http://img38.imageshack.us/i/titlescreenfor18.png/)

Red writing:

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/9798/titlescreenfor18.th.png (http://img3.imageshack.us/i/titlescreenfor18.png/)

here's the file for you to add:

http://www.box.net/shared/azdu3ns810

You will need to convert in back to a .WAD file before finishing. I can't because I don't want to ruin my game.(just yet)

Ðârk Âñgêl
September 26th, 2009, 09:59
tomix, nice to see you again, i´m a bit surprised.
good that you still try to fix dk2.

dotted, not all things which are listed here, are fixed in 1.73.

i hope you will have success with that,
but i cant help out, because i am really a noob in such stuff.
but i think the game bugs arent fixable easily.
btw, i dont think the north-south "bug" is a bug, i think it was planned by developers of the game, it was already in 1.3.

Metal Gear Rex
September 26th, 2009, 10:00
Does that mean creatures from the north/south portal are affected, or when they are in the north/south. And why would that be?

Ðârk Âñgêl
September 26th, 2009, 10:02
creatures in the north are weaker than creatures in the south
or
creatures in the south are stronger than creatures in the north
same thing.
no relation to portals

dotted
September 26th, 2009, 10:14
dotted, not all things which are listed here, are fixed in 1.73.
that what i'd like to know what is actually new

Metal Gear Rex
September 26th, 2009, 10:17
I await to see this completed, but I don't have much knowledge to help you. Sorry.

Tomix
September 26th, 2009, 10:48
dotted:
Maybe you should write whats new in 1.8 instead of copy pasting 1.73, and pass it off as your own work.

- The movies can be watched without CD

- No freezes ingame anymore (at my computer, don't testet with others...)

- The german version of this game is now uncut (no need to delete files or change registry)

- QSound "fixed"; it's right the QMixer.dll file was fixed in 1.73 but this version is better: 1.73 - the game crashes by about 1-to-20 games (1 player), in 1.8 you got maybe never a crash (I played about 50 games, 1 player)

- All creatures in the campaign now available and no problems with the end of the levels; OK i fixed the thing with the ending in 1.73f

- The maps 'Islands' and 'Platform' are available for skirmish

- The map 'Traptime' is available for multiplayer

- The official DK2-Editor and the three Bonus-Packs are included in this patch

Hapuga:
Hey, when you start with AI, contact me and Jibbits, we'll tell you what we did in order for you not to do the same mistakes/actions. Even better, lets cooperate on this part.

Thanks, I let you know, when I start with the AI. Important at first is however the bugs.

dk2player:
hey, when you happen to finish with this, can you replace the title screen with this: ...

Good idea, i didn't think about this before :) . I think about this, but first we have to find a way to open these damn .BF4 files (http://forum.keeperklan.com/how-open-bf4-filesi-t185.html).

dk2player:
You will need to convert in back to a .WAD file before finishing. I can't because I don't want to ruin my game.(just yet)

Make a copy of your "Dungeon Keeper 2" folder. If you did something wrong, just copy the files you had ruined back to your "right" DK2 folder and it works like before. I do the same, if i did shit (what happens often) ;) .

Dark Angel:
btw, i dont think the north-south "bug" is a bug, i think it was planned by developers of the game, it was already in 1.3.

I also think it was planned by the developers, BUT only for campaign it was a good idea (in the most levels you start at the south). For multiplayer it's really shit.

That's a general problem of DK2, the developers only thought about the campaign and skirmish, but they don't thought about multiplayer :rolleyes: .

Metal Gear Rex
October 2nd, 2009, 00:08
North/South Bug...

I think I know what could be the cause of this. I was posting in the "new creatures" topic and I had to look back on the new features of DK2 Editor Pro to create a "new" creature, well enough of that, onto the main point.

I saw "Translation Sound Category" beside "Sound Category". Above the former is "Death Fall Direction". I checked all the creatures. They are all set to "North". I wonder if this could be the source or at least linked to the source of the North/South Bug.

hideinlight
October 2nd, 2009, 16:00
Thx for the patch, game is actually playable now. Had all these weird graphics corruptions etc on my 8800gt.

Don't know if it's just me but reviewing objectives crashes the game.

Madkill
October 2nd, 2009, 16:45
So err... Where is the download for this WIP? Or has it not been released yet?

Ðârk Âñgêl
October 4th, 2009, 12:42
So err... Where is the download for this WIP? Or has it not been released yet?

he needs to fix the other more important things, as he said. he needs help for that, but we all are noobs. so i guess its not released yet :p

Tomix
October 4th, 2009, 17:32
I've changed something to "fix" the Money-, Chat- and Player-Bug, but I don't know if it works.

I need someone to test it online...

dk2player
October 4th, 2009, 18:16
I will, pick me!!! :D

Walkerz
December 19th, 2009, 15:01
Could you perhaps release a alpha ver with all the succesfull changes you've made already?

Hapuga
December 19th, 2009, 15:11
there is no 1.8 patch and will never be. this guy is a joke.

I dont know what goals he pursued by posting this. personal fame? lol.

Mister Giggles
December 21st, 2009, 00:37
Which brings up another question...

What, exactly, does the 1.73 patch do? What does it change? I know it's supposed to help with Vista/Multi-player, but from what I've read these can be taken as confirmation bias, not due to quantifiable changes.

Metal Gear Rex
December 21st, 2009, 00:40
Did you read before you clicked? That's usually a good idea.

Mister Giggles
December 21st, 2009, 00:43
Read what before I click?

Metal Gear Rex
December 21st, 2009, 00:50
On the patch it lists changes.

Mister Giggles
December 21st, 2009, 00:53
On the opening post? I thought those were changes that were made for this 1.80 patch. Alright, then. Thank you.