PDA

View Full Version : Legal issues incoming?

TParis
June 4th, 2011, 13:54
So, Dungeon Keeper (DOS version) was released under the flag of EA on GOG.com. And we all know that EA recently shut down several Ultima related projects. Is this project also at risk being busted by EA?

I'm curious in general: Is this project legal at all? I mean it takes all the content from Dungeon Keeper and its Expansions. I thought about posting/promoting KeeperFX in the active GOG.com forums but I'm afraid it draws EA's attention on this, so I didn't do it yet.

About me : I have always been interested in Dungeon Keeper but I could never get my hands on it. Now GOG.com released the first Dungeon Keeper; I started researching and found this very promising project. Still have to get into the game... ;)

Here is the Dungeon Keeper forum on GOG.com:
http://www.gog.com/en/forum/dungeon_keeper/#1307190096

edorien
June 4th, 2011, 14:41
I was wondering about that as well.
It may be an idea to remove the core game data form keeperfx again (i.e. the levels, data, ldata folders) to avoid it.

However, it is worth noting that the gog version is vastly inferior to the originally released box dos version, for several reasons;

1. no deeper dungeons
2. all data except the sound files are contained in an encrypted archive, therefore you can't add custom levels, (related to 1st/3rd points)
3. levels.txt is in accessible so you only have access to 15 of the original 30 multiplayer levels.

dotted
June 4th, 2011, 16:07
2. all data except the sound files are contained in an encrypted archive, therefore you can't add custom levels, (related to 1st/3rd points)
GAME.GOG and GAME.INST are simple BIN/CUE files, you can mount GAME.GOG with Daemon Tools, so adding custom levels is doable but not exactly easy.

As for the legal issues, I've already been in contact with the author - I would expect the next version to address the issue.

Metal Gear Rex
June 4th, 2011, 18:27
Wrong game and wrong forum, lolololol

Aspiring alcoholic

Gotta stop drinking, James XD

Mister Giggles
June 4th, 2011, 19:35
Oh, KeeperFX is very illegal. The reason a cease and desist hasn't shown up is because the license holders of the game haven't found out about it yet.

dotted
June 4th, 2011, 20:29
Oh, KeeperFX is very illegal. The reason a cease and desist hasn't shown up is because the license holders of the game haven't found out about it yet.

Very illegal? Does that mean there is also something thats less illegal?

DonJoe
June 4th, 2011, 21:50
Using XTC in the netherlands. Condoned, but not legal. :P

That's the best I could come up with. >.<

Mister Giggles
June 5th, 2011, 05:02
Dotted,

I was exaggerating, obviously. :)

But, it is a bit worse on the "crime and punishment scale" than, say, a blatant ripoff of the game engine, or an uncanny derivative. Though, it is highly unlikely legal action would be taken beyond sending Mephisto a cease and desist...lawyers are too expensive to throw after a programmer who, in his free time, is hacking their intellectual property for no profit or gain beyond name recognition.

mefistotelis
June 5th, 2011, 10:03
Future versions of KeeperFX will no longer be stand-alone. I'm planning to make them require DK or DKGold CD, from which "install script" will copy files to create complete KeeperFX.

The game CD will only be needed for installation.

TParis
June 5th, 2011, 11:58
Too bad GOG.com has only released the DOS version. :( So, will the music be read from the installation folder in the future?

3d1n0
June 5th, 2011, 13:47
what are the differences between classic dk and gog dk? more stabilty? or is useless?

TParis
June 5th, 2011, 13:50
It's the DOS version of Dungeon Keeper coming with DOSbox. No Deeper Dungeons (due to licensing reasons), might be added in the future though.

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/dungeon_keeper

Elven Spellmaker
June 5th, 2011, 19:23
Too bad GOG.com has only released the DOS version. :( So, will the music be read from the installation folder in the future?

What actually are the differences between the DOS and Windows version?

I was under the impression they were all Windows versions. I remember when I used to play DOS games a screen used to pop up first showing it was a DOS game and it never did it to me on DK ever.

People have said that the graphics of the DOS version are worse, but the screenshots on that site clearly show the same graphics I have always been used to.

Also the 3-D versions of the game were apparently inferior because DirectX didn't like the custom libraries they had written for the game.

I'm just so confused about it.

TParis
June 6th, 2011, 16:42
People in the GOG forums claim that the Win95 version supports a higher resolution. I have no idea if this is true - I'm still new to all of this.

Also gameplay in DOSbox is pretty choppy.

edorien
June 6th, 2011, 17:56
the win95 version defaults to 640x480
the dos/gog version defaults to 32x240
you have to press alt + r to toggle between them.
There are shortcomings in the gog version compared to both, but the resolution isn't one of them

DragonsLover
June 6th, 2011, 18:03
Future versions of KeeperFX will no longer be stand-alone. I'm planning to make them require DK or DKGold CD, from which "install script" will copy files to create complete KeeperFX.

The game CD will only be needed for installation.

Okay, so back to the previous state where we had to install KeeperFX over DKGold. Fine...

Just to mention that some of the Data files on the CD aren't required at all for the game so, not only doing a script to copy files, but also delete some.