PDA

View Full Version : Liquid physics

Dre@m
September 26th, 2009, 16:02
Liquid physics in games is a pain in the ass frankly. None more so than 3D liquid physics.

In WftO, we're going to operating 3 levels stacked onto of eachother.

Which presents the problem of liquids on the top floor interacting with the lower level, and again for the 2nd floor with the bottom floor.

I've created some images to demonstrate the problem:

Liquid stream from level 2 flowing down into level 1 as a FULL tile
http://i38.tinypic.com/a1r779.jpg

If I were to tunnel into the side of the wall, this is the scenario we'd be presented with:

Liquid stream adjacent to an open space
http://i34.tinypic.com/10xzes3.png

If you're thinking well just get rid of the big liquid block, we'd still have this possible scenario:

Liquid tile (floor) adjacent to open tile over lower open space
http://i34.tinypic.com/t8xijq.png

A solution to this would be to have an extra layer of rock beneath level 2 and that would be the ceiling of level 1.

Ideas?

dotted
September 26th, 2009, 16:08
Pretty sure the layers are gonna be completely disconnected. So there wont really be a problem

elamre
September 27th, 2009, 13:41
dre@m, are u a developer? :)
and it sounds awesomenes :D

Madkill
September 27th, 2009, 21:29
Ahah! We could add-in the possibility of a keeper flooding his dungeon if he decides to dig out the wrong wall on the second or third lower-levels.

Gives doors another purpose too.

Now something like that would be genius.

Searingflame2
September 28th, 2009, 14:46
Deliberately flooding enemy keepers dungeons FOR THE WIN!

Dry up lakes on the overworld FOR THE WIN!

Get lava and water to collide FOR THE WIN!

Hell, its FTW!

Synesthesia
September 28th, 2009, 17:27
I like the idea of draining the water from the Overworld. We could use that on certain levels to reach isolated parts of the map. We could even have an entire village on an island that has to be reached by drying up it's watery defence from underground.

dotted
September 28th, 2009, 17:46
Deliberately flooding enemy keepers dungeons FOR THE WIN!

Dry up lakes on the overworld FOR THE WIN!

Get lava and water to collide FOR THE WIN!

Hell, its FTW!

I could see this as a scripted mechanic for sure, but not a general game mechanic.

Trass3r
September 28th, 2009, 17:57
Just a technical hint:
Nvidia just released their first public OpenCL drivers today ;)
http://www.nvidia.com/object/cuda_opencl.html

elamre
September 28th, 2009, 18:32
and get different species of creatures when there is water in ur dungeon? and some cant survive or so.

Arcaen
September 28th, 2009, 19:24
I'm afraid you will have to get some liquid physics in the game :p sorry

Robofish
September 28th, 2009, 19:51
I don't like the idea of flooding being a regular thing, so keeping it solely on individual floors seems good. However you could just use impenetrable rock to corden off areas of liquid, except in scenarios where you want flooding available.

dotted
September 28th, 2009, 19:52
I'm afraid you will have to get some liquid physics in the game :p sorry

Cool are you gonna code it :o?

Slash27015
October 1st, 2009, 12:05
Actually meh, I agree with everyone else that flooding might be a bad idea.

Robofish said it just right.

I don't like the idea of flooding being a regular thing, so keeping it solely on individual floors seems good. However you could just use impenetrable rock to corden off areas of liquid, except in scenarios where you want flooding available.

Odin
October 1st, 2009, 13:37
The way i was imagining it would be setup as the following:

- Overworld (Raid layer, Heroes, limited build-space (most dungeon creatures would hate sunlight anyway?))
- Impervious Layer
- Dungeon Layer (Main layer, main buildspace)
- Impervious Layer
- Underworld (Lava, rare gem/iron, limited build-space.)

Metal Gear Rex
October 2nd, 2009, 00:18
Though we could always allow a dripping affect, that won't really affect anyone except for the weak puny fairies who will probably fall when hit by this water drop, lol.

Shkykeeper
October 12th, 2009, 10:13
Alright, this is my first post, and I'm just a bit of a newb when it comes to 3d engines in general and liquid physics in particular, but it seems to me, since we are the ones design things, that we need have no liquid physics, necessarily. While I agree it would be amazing to see a lake pouring into a moat for my dungeon, with the run off filling a tasteful pond in the sub-basement; well it seems a bit ambitious. Couldn't we just ignore it, for the time being....or am I missing the point?

Anywho, sorry to but in :3

Regards

-SK

Kromeh
October 12th, 2009, 15:09
I agree, no liquid physics.

dotted
October 12th, 2009, 16:53
Alright, this is my first post, and I'm just a bit of a newb when it comes to 3d engines in general and liquid physics in particular, but it seems to me, since we are the ones design things, that we need have no liquid physics, necessarily. While I agree it would be amazing to see a lake pouring into a moat for my dungeon, with the run off filling a tasteful pond in the sub-basement; well it seems a bit ambitious. Couldn't we just ignore it, for the time being....or am I missing the point?

Anywho, sorry to but in :3

Regards

-SK
The point is discussing ideas while they may not be feasible to implement in 1.0, maybe they could be for 2.0, 3.0 etc.

Death
November 27th, 2009, 23:33
Flooding should be added, but it should be very rare. A new challenge for the keeper to overcome etc. etc. And it has a new scare-factor. Not only heroes could charge in, but there might be a small chance that you'll drown :horny: