PDA

View Full Version : Engine Progress

Mentor
June 11th, 2011, 00:21
It’s a fun friday ™ filled with fresh frivolity for your fiendish eyes — so without further fracas I shall put forward what I know you’ve been waiting for eagerly all week. Our splendid programmer Patrick “Toro” Owens created a … Continue reading → (http://warfortheoverworld.com/271-engine-progress-4/)

More... (http://warfortheoverworld.com/271-engine-progress-4/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss)

natchoguy
June 11th, 2011, 02:30
Awesomeness, pure awesomeness. But I wonder- how hard would it be to create a level editor?

Zyraen
June 11th, 2011, 02:38
Great Stuff :) I had to admit, I was so busy watching the Imps at work, that I had to re-watch parts of it just to look at the Mini Map in the corner :)

A New Room
June 11th, 2011, 03:25
Mini-map on the left... Heresy! (Sorry I have been spending a lot of time around the DoW2 forum). That said I'm liking what I see :D

how hard would it be to create a level editor?

As I remember it was in the list of things they wanted to do. Not 100% sure but I think it is possible to do, though would probably require a lot of work to properly implement and would be a hell of a lot easer with access to the Unreal Engine's code.

Though please don't take what I said as anything more than speculation, I know even less than you do about current WftO goings on.

Skarok
June 11th, 2011, 12:00
Wow, even without the final textures it looks awesome! I'd love to play this game... The mini-map is awesome, and the control seems to be better than DK1 and maybe even 2. Hopefully you can manage to create an editor!

DonJoe
June 11th, 2011, 15:12
A level editor is currently unfortunately nothing but speculation anymore. It's something the team has been thinking about, but for the time being at least it's decided that this should not take priority over the actual game.

Once we move towards a finish product, it's not impossible to find a map editor, but at this point in time, it's too early to tell wether we can make it happen or not.

natchoguy
June 11th, 2011, 15:13
obviously, we understand it needs time, it's not like we're asking for it NOW

dotted
June 11th, 2011, 17:56
A level editor is currently unfortunately nothing but speculation anymore. It's something the team has been thinking about, but for the time being at least it's decided that this should not take priority over the actual game.

Once we move towards a finish product, it's not impossible to find a map editor, but at this point in time, it's too early to tell wether we can make it happen or not.

We have an Editor already, UDK ;)

Mothrayas
June 11th, 2011, 18:03
We have an Editor already, UDK ;)

People would probably want something way more convenient to use, though. Something that's actually built around the game and to specifically make maps for it.

james.heinichen
June 13th, 2011, 18:50
In regards to questions regarding the level editor -- we want one, badly, however its priority is lower than the engine, so once the engine is done we'll know more! ;)

Imm0rtal
June 13th, 2011, 23:55
Shoulda stayed with the OpenGL version. ;)

A New Room
June 14th, 2011, 03:04
Shoulda stayed with the OpenGL version. ;)

When you compare the 1 and a half years (may have been even more tbh :S) of time spent on that engine (resulting in buggy/unfinished mechanics), to the past few months spent on UDK, it is pretty staggering. Yeah it would have made porting and map making integration easier, but I don't think I have ever seen so many programmers agree to look at an engine and then go missing soon after...

kyle
June 14th, 2011, 14:13
When you compare the 1 and a half years (may have been even more tbh :S) of time spent on that engine (resulting in buggy/unfinished mechanics), to the past few months spent on UDK, it is pretty staggering. Yeah it would have made porting and map making integration easier, but I don't think I have ever seen so many programmers agree to look at an engine and then go missing soon after...

Ah, the memories :D

Imm0rtal
June 14th, 2011, 15:34
Kyle you may be in luck with that map editor.. ;)

(If Morden doesn't get lazy)

kyle
June 14th, 2011, 16:08
I read on the page, heres to hope!

Imm0rtal
June 14th, 2011, 16:23
If morden puts the effort in.. You will have a map editor. He is really really good with UDK.

natchoguy
June 14th, 2011, 23:24
Should we plan the maps beforehand so that we don't waste time arguing about it after?

mordentral
June 15th, 2011, 17:39
Hah, I'm not sure what immortal is promising of me here, in my forum I said that I would take a look at a dynamic world class for UDK.

Its a pretty easy task really but a full blown map editor for it would be an entirely different project and also require everything being done for the game be made with a future editor in mind to complete (objects being able to load/save themselves, scripting built into them instead of relying on kismet, ect ect).

The problem with dynamically loading things is that you throw kismet out of the window when you do that. So you'd either need your own scripting system or have things like mob spawners / event objects that act like timed instances (at a time spawn a message box alert and several human foes at some point blah blah blah).

Storing the blocks themselves and making a decently generic file format for them to be loaded into UDK isn't hard at all.

As I have offhandly made clear on my board though I am willing to help you guys out when you have problems. I have lots of hope for this project (DK1 being one of my favorite games of all time) and would like to see you all succeed.

I do have my own labor of love project already though so I'm not willing to take on any sort of large involvement on the project, and a full blown map editor would fall under that.

I WOULD be willing to give guidance in creating one and the background work in UDK to make it possible and lay out the basics of it when you get to that point. As well as help get you through any major hiccups or technical problems you face on the way to completing the project.

james.heinichen
June 16th, 2011, 06:50
Thanks Mordentral -- any help you can toss down the pipe would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

DonJoe
June 17th, 2011, 01:17
I agree with James. Anything you can help us out with is much appreciated. Thank you in advance, mordentral.

mordentral
June 20th, 2011, 16:52
Kyle posted on my forum again asking about the dynamic world system.

Before I do any work on such a thing I would need to know a few things.

A: How it will be used (what is to be dynamic, what isn't, does everything load on level load or as the camera pans near it, ect ect).

B: The file format you would like it in

C: How it will tie in with the map editor that I guess that you have?

I really have no idea what you guys have already, would be an effort in futility to work on anything without first getting past those questions.

DonJoe
June 20th, 2011, 23:47
Unedrstandable. I'll see if I can hook you up with the engine devs.