PDA

View Full Version : WFTO=DK1 or DK2?

Keeper_Infernal
June 16th, 2011, 13:40
Hellow keeper klan!

My question here is on which game the great WFTO will be based on?

I preffer dk1,for its more evil and dark aura,the more fast Luck based(thus realistic) combat,and for its other cool features..

I simply hope the WFTO will be a really high graphic quallety DK1 :)

So how is it gonna be?

Ogre
June 16th, 2011, 15:26
What is know, both DK1 and DK2, its somewhat a DK3. It has been said that they will take best from both games.

But ofc the WTFO team knows more :)

Keeper_Infernal
June 16th, 2011, 16:29
sounds nice :D

dotted
June 16th, 2011, 16:38
WFTO is a spiritual successor to Dungeon Keeper, basically meaning WFTO is DK3, but for legal reason we can't call it DK3.

Imm0rtal
June 16th, 2011, 16:55
I know Kyle likes DK1 more, honestly both are good and maybe they will be adding a little flare of their own as well. I am really excited about this game.

Duke Ragereaver
June 16th, 2011, 17:12
WFTO is a spiritual successor to Dungeon Keeper, basically meaning WFTO is DK3, but for legal reason we can't call it DK3.

This. Well said, dotted.

natchoguy
June 17th, 2011, 02:32
When I saw the title I was about to smash my head against my desk. but Ogre was right; we'll take the best from both games but we'll also add our own

james.heinichen
June 17th, 2011, 19:07
It's WftO silly.

amcoops
June 21st, 2011, 00:31
Loved DK1's gameplay, the combat was so much better than DK2 (Faster, brutal, spells felt forceful). Liked some of the creatures in DK2 (Goblin, Black Knight, Dark Angel), also liked the use of the combat pit.

I really hope we have DK1 style Horned Reapers, and by that I mean FAST! Loved the fact they were so fast and strong, just crazy basically. DK2's Horned Reaper was way to slow and calm in my opinion.

Metal Gear Rex
June 21st, 2011, 00:35
Loved DK1's gameplay, the combat was so much better than DK2 (Faster, brutal, spells felt forceful). Liked some of the creatures in DK2 (Goblin, Black Knight, Dark Angel), also liked the use of the combat pit.

Most of its units, aside from the Goblin maybe, probably won't make it in because there's nothing we can do with them/they could be better. Combat Pit won't be included, Training Room will Train Units up to Level 9.

I really hope we have DK1 style Horned Reapers, and by that I mean FAST! Loved the fact they were so fast and strong, just crazy basically. DK2's Horned Reaper was way to slow and calm in my opinion.

There's a cheat code in DK2 that says "Do not fear the reaper". In DK2, we can understand why that is. In WftO, don't worry, we'll make you fear the reaper.

natchoguy
June 21st, 2011, 00:59
wasn't the training decided on stopping at level 8? anyways, WftO is mostly going to revolve around DK1 (since it is superior in many ways)

Metal Gear Rex
June 21st, 2011, 01:00
wasn't the training decided on stopping at level 8? anyways, WftO is mostly going to revolve around DK1 (since it is superior in many ways)

That was the Combat Pit. Decided to have it stop at Level 9 instead.

Renegade
September 10th, 2011, 14:17
DK1 !! It's more evil and dark and the gameplay is better...

Mothrayas
September 10th, 2011, 16:19
DK1 !! It's more evil and dark and the gameplay is better...

BUZZZZZ

Wrong answer!

The correct answer is: both.

We're making a sequel to the entire series, not a remake to either game.

(That said, many game physics would probably end up more similar to DK1 than DK2 anyway)

Metal Gear Rex
September 10th, 2011, 19:18
Both games had their share of flaws. While it is true that DK1 is generally more superior to DK2, DK2 did have some things done correctly that DK1 didn't have. We're taking the best ideas from DK1 and DK2 while also adding our own to make WftO overall much better.

natchoguy
September 18th, 2011, 14:16
from what I saw WftO is going to have:
all creatures and most heroes from DK1
all traps from DK1
all doors from DK2
most spells from DK2 and DK1
most rooms from DK1
the spell usage of DK2 (mana)
and a bunch of stuff which originates from the community

and I think that's about it. Please correct me if I have something wrong

MeinCookie
September 18th, 2011, 23:15
While I will say DK1 is much more polished in certain ways than DK2 and its aura is indeed many times more intense... its music often can give you a splitting headache. There be the downside.

Metal Gear Rex
September 19th, 2011, 01:18
While I will say DK1 is much more polished in certain ways than DK2 and its aura is indeed many times more intense... its music often can give you a splitting headache. There be the downside.

I actually happened to like DK1's music. I find it to be very fitting for the atmosphere DK had. But as it was previously stated, we're not going to simply follow DK1 the whole way through.

abominable
September 22nd, 2011, 16:28

What? the music in DK1 is perfect! I have it on my mp3, I listen to it when I ride the bus for freakings sake!

Mothrayas
September 22nd, 2011, 16:47
Music preference is solely a subjective matter, no need to discuss that. Some like DK1's more, some like DK2's more.

I feel inclined to lock this thread as it doesn't seem to get anywhere, and the OP's question has been answered numerous times at this point.

PumpkinKing
September 28th, 2011, 20:56
Ok, one question
Will it be more feral looking units as opposed to humanoids?
DK2 felt more like establishing a human settlement, there weren't many creatures IMO.
*Feral=Beetle, Spider, Bile Demon, Salamander,

kyle
September 28th, 2011, 21:20
Yes, we will have more feral creatures.

Funderbunk
September 29th, 2011, 17:12
First of, hey I'm new, great to find that there are still a lot of people that love this franchise and I applaud this project.

I have a question concerning this topic, it may be a little in depth though. Like many, I prefer DK1 to DK2, but I felt one thing that DK2 got right was that each creature had a specific role. There were almost no creatures who were meant for the same thing. In DK1, some creatures overlap and I know that in strategy games, overlapping roles are often confusing for the non hardcore players. Are you guys doing anything to make sure that each creature has a distinct role, or are you not worried about overlapping?

Mothrayas
September 29th, 2011, 17:26
Each creature got a specific role in DK2? To my knowledge, it was actually worse than DK1 because everything except Black Knights, Dark Angels and Warlocks (for research) was pretty much useless.

Anyway, yes, we're trying to make sure that every creature has a specific role. The primary goal is that every single creature has its own uses - even the DK1 Beetle will be useful.

Funderbunk
September 29th, 2011, 17:36
I have to agree with you that they were mostly useless (definitely in multiplayer), that was mostly because the game was poorly balanced around the roles, but they did have their own roles, especially early game. Goblins were definitely meant to do something, they were meant to protect you while you got your Dungeon up and running, but because it was so easy to get Black Knights early on why did you even need that?

I hope that clarifies what I meant a bit. Because if a creature won't do anything for you, why get it?

Thanks for the quick answer!