PDA

View Full Version : Evolution for the Storyline

Eyong
June 19th, 2011, 03:12
it been a while since the last dungeon keeper games release ... its been 14 years since DK1 (1997) and 12 years since DK2 (1999) released. May i gives some suggestion, that we should break the traditional way of storyline and make it an evolution on that gap years. Starcraft broodwar and Starcraft 2 has an gap of more than 10years and in Starcraft 2, the protoss went through high advancement, and the Zerg go evolution, new weapon, new unit and new building, the old unit being highly modified or deleted. I may suggest the same thing for the production of War of the Overworld.

DonJoe
June 19th, 2011, 03:41
Ofcourse you're welcome to suggest. It is even encourged. I would like to say though, that speaking in the we form when referring to story telling, seems a little misplaced. Especially for a first post.

However, that put aside, you make a fair point. The story has been largely fleshed out already though, and does a, in my opinion, excellent job at proppeling the DK lore foreward, even if officially, we're only fan fiction. It's a shame we're not at a point at which we can share story elements yet.

Do do have to mention, that I feel a bit of confusion in your statements. The changed game mechanics in starcraft 2 have very little to do with the story (in fact, the story hardly even touches on them). The new weapons, units and buildings are gameplay elements. We're still playing the same characters we did before (there's only a small amount of new characters intoduced in SC2; the majority are excisting ones). Is it the storyline you're interested in, or how it plays? Cause I'm getting rather conflicted signals here.

Eyong
June 19th, 2011, 05:58
actually i am more in both ... :D

actually my suggestion is like this ... few changes

Firstly, I would like to recommend some age gap in the dungeon keeper world as opposed to our. Twelve years of waiting (or more) mean maybe 100 years in the dungeon keeper world. In these 100 years, a lot of thing must be changes (etc, technology in trap used, new room, and so on). In addition, new creatures come in and some old creatures removed. I suggest the storyline would be set in future instead as sequel to DK2 of the same times keeper enter the Overworld. The realm in DK2 will be known as the Underworld and the realm after DK2 end will be Overworld.

Secondly, I will suggest some of the creatures to be removed or shift due to the 100 years gap such firefly being extinct and the cowardly goblin not longer serving the keeper. To compensate some creatures lost, new creatures will be moved such as gargoyle as the sole dungeon flying unit, medusa, and others (you can get this idea for. All these changes is necessary to implicate that there is a gap years. If everything remained the same, it would be just a new version of DK2 modified. Even we seen in the new Starcraft 2, the Protoss and Zerg change a lot from Starcraft: Brood war. It’s about 10 years of waiting, but it four years advancement in the Starcraft world.

Thirdly, I also suggest new fraction of races in the Overworld as opposed having the Dungeon and Good Heroes in the previous DK2. Since the Heroes is made of alliance of several good races such as dwarf, elf, human and so on and they lived in the surfaces (not underworld), there be also an alliance of creatures living in the surface named the Tribe Kingdom. The Tribe Kingdom is alliance of several tribes making the enemies of the heroes. Tribe Kingdom is made up of Green Skin Tribe (cowardly Goblin who left the dungeon, Goblin shaman, Goblin witch doctor, Ogre, Ogre Lord), Beast Tribe (Minotaur, Mammal Beast, and Reptile Warrior), Serpent Tribe (Lava Serpent, Nagas, and River Serpent) and Winged Tribe (Winged Beast, Griffin, Winged Angel). The Tribe Kingdom mission is to seek the power beneath the Underworld and lead destruction as opposed to Heroes that preserving peace on it and destroy evil. In the Underworld, there be another races called the Demonic Hordes, the Demonic Hordes seek portal gems that enable them to summon more demon forces from the Inferno World. At present, their number in the Overworld still relatively small, in Inferno World, their number is large. The Demonic Hordes is made up of Familiar, Hell Hound, Cerberus, Devil, Field, Succubus and Arch Demon. For all types of creatures in the new DK, you can easily get the idea from others games such as Heroes 5, Disciples 3, Starcraft 2 and so on. To conclude, all four of these races are not ally. They just have a simple mission, seek power and as for the keeper, do evil.

Metal Gear Rex
June 19th, 2011, 06:39
As Don has stated, the story has already been pretty well fleshed out and so this suggestion isn't really needed.

Firstly, I would like to recommend some age gap in the dungeon keeper world as opposed to our. Twelve years of waiting (or more) mean maybe 100 years in the dungeon keeper world. In these 100 years, a lot of thing must be changes (etc, technology in trap used, new room, and so on). In addition, new creatures come in and some old creatures removed. I suggest the storyline would be set in future instead as sequel to DK2 of the same times keeper enter the Overworld. The realm in DK2 will be known as the Underworld and the realm after DK2 end will be Overworld.

I presume you've only played DK2 and not DK1. You should know that we won't really have any connection to DK2 in terms of Story.

Also, I don't think it is neccessary to make the story take place 100 years into the future just because 12+ years have passed by here. Especially if it forces us to change a lot of the things we've been working on. (Since "technology advanced")

Secondly, I will suggest some of the creatures to be removed or shift due to the 100 years gap such firefly being extinct and the cowardly goblin not longer serving the keeper. To compensate some creatures lost, new creatures will be moved such as gargoyle as the sole dungeon flying unit, medusa, and others (you can get this idea for. All these changes is necessary to implicate that there is a gap years. If everything remained the same, it would be just a new version of DK2 modified. Even we seen in the new Starcraft 2, the Protoss and Zerg change a lot from Starcraft: Brood war. It’s about 10 years of waiting, but it four years advancement in the Starcraft world.

I also do not think that Story should effect gameplay. Eliminating the Fly/Firefly is effectively removing the Player's scout. Removing older Creatures for the sake of newer Creatures would also move the game away from the original Dungeon Keeper.

Thirdly, I also suggest new fraction of races in the Overworld as opposed having the Dungeon and Good Heroes in the previous DK2. Since the Heroes is made of alliance of several good races such as dwarf, elf, human and so on and they lived in the surfaces (not underworld), there be also an alliance of creatures living in the surface named the Tribe Kingdom. The Tribe Kingdom is alliance of several tribes making the enemies of the heroes. Tribe Kingdom is made up of Green Skin Tribe (cowardly Goblin who left the dungeon, Goblin shaman, Goblin witch doctor, Ogre, Ogre Lord), Beast Tribe (Minotaur, Mammal Beast, and Reptile Warrior), Serpent Tribe (Lava Serpent, Nagas, and River Serpent) and Winged Tribe (Winged Beast, Griffin, Winged Angel). The Tribe Kingdom mission is to seek the power beneath the Underworld and lead destruction as opposed to Heroes that preserving peace on it and destroy evil. In the Underworld, there be another races called the Demonic Hordes, the Demonic Hordes seek portal gems that enable them to summon more demon forces from the Inferno World. At present, their number in the Overworld still relatively small, in Inferno World, their number is large. The Demonic Hordes is made up of Familiar, Hell Hound, Cerberus, Devil, Field, Succubus and Arch Demon. For all types of creatures in the new DK, you can easily get the idea from others games such as Heroes 5, Disciples 3, Starcraft 2 and so on. To conclude, all four of these races are not ally. They just have a simple mission, seek power and as for the keeper, do evil.

There is another project called OpenDungeons that used some kind of Factions idea, if I recall correctly.

In a sense, this was already done inside of Dungeon Keeper except it didn't really separate each "faction" that much or at all really. But as I'm fairly certain you didn't play DK1, I think you wouldn't know as much about that.

Eyong
June 19th, 2011, 14:11
I have play both DK1 n DK2 ... it just that ... DK1 is more like a introduction ... n DK2 is more a story...

Anyways, in DK1, there is Dragon, in DK2 there no Dragon ... just Hope the new game got Dragon ...

DonJoe
June 19th, 2011, 15:34
I think the DK1 dragon is confirmed to be in WFTO.

Eyong
June 19th, 2011, 19:31
Awesome, Support from M'sia. :D

---------- Post added at 02:31 ---------- Previous post was at 02:31 ----------

just asking ... what will be the characteristic of the Overworld ? something similiar to the DK realm ?

Evi
June 19th, 2011, 19:36
The overworld has been sadly scrapped from WftO.

Duke Ragereaver
June 19th, 2011, 22:04
Some consider it a blessing in disguise actually. I suppose you can't blame that crowd for such radical changes that were almost brought into the traditional DK-genre.

Patrician
June 19th, 2011, 22:07
The overworld has been sadly scrapped from WftO.
Making the project's name a bit misleading to the uninformed.

Mothrayas
June 19th, 2011, 22:15
It's a War for the Overworld, not a War on the Overworld.

Patrician
June 19th, 2011, 22:29
Yes, I had noticed that unsurprisingly.

The point I was making is that people who are new to the project will assume there will be surface action from the name (and EA's DK3 trailer). I'm not suggesting we change the name, but it might be wise to explicitly point out that there won't be a playable Overworld somewhere fairly prominent on the forum / WftO website (for instance Features page) to prevent undue confusion.

kyle
June 19th, 2011, 22:30

Thank you mothrayas, I thought I was going to have to say it, but this title is explained in the FAQ.

Mothrayas
June 19th, 2011, 22:33
it might be wise to explicitly point out that there won't be a playable Overworld somewhere fairly prominent on the forum / WftO website (for instance Features page) to prevent undue confusion.

Q: What will this game have to do with the Overworld?

A: Alot of people interpret the title wrongly, the gameplay will still be underground. The title merely refers to the fact that the keepers and heroes fight for control of the Overworld.

It's already covered, actually.

Patrician
June 19th, 2011, 22:35
Good stuff.

Metal Gear Rex
June 19th, 2011, 22:41
I have play both DK1 n DK2 ... it just that ... DK1 is more like a introduction ... n DK2 is more a story...

You only referenced DK2, so I had assumed you only played DK2.

Anyways, in DK1, there is Dragon, in DK2 there no Dragon ... just Hope the new game got Dragon ...

Most/All of the Units in DK1 will be in WftO. DK1's Units were more defined and interesting. DK2's Units weren't so much, and a lot of them aren't going to be in WftO. Some of the DK2 Units may be replaced by different and more defined/interesting Units. An example would be the possibility of my Ice Archer (http://keeperklan.com/threads/1815-Ice-Archer) suggestion replacing the Dark Elf as the Creature Side's Archer.

Zyraen
June 20th, 2011, 02:33
As a separate note, would the Black Knight be part of WftO's lne up ?

Metal Gear Rex
June 20th, 2011, 02:46
As a separate note, would the Black Knight be part of WftO's lne up ?

Nope. Very uninteresting unit. Being that the Knight is the Armored Tank Unit, and the Dragon is also an Armoed Tank Unit, that means there's no room for a Black Knight :P

Unless you mean, THE Black Knight (http://images.wikia.com/fireemblem/images/4/43/Fepr-Blackknight.jpg) XP

Zyraen
June 20th, 2011, 03:00
Heh excellent :) great news.