PDA

View Full Version : Dungeon Empires, a 3D browser game

sokkur
June 28th, 2011, 17:30
Taken directly from their site:
Dungeon Empires is a next-gen free-to-play 3D browser game that presents a unique mix of tactical role-playing game and dungeon editor. Prove your skill as a dungeon builder and create your own lair full of monsters and other dangers. Those who dare to enter your dungeon must not be allowed to make it out alive! Explore and plunder other players’ dungeons, fight against terrifying creatures and loot new monsters, rooms and items to make your chamber of horrors even more deadly and grandiose.

The game can be found here:
http://dungeonempires.gamigo.com/

What do you think about this game? Personally I find it quite good.

Keeper_Infernal
June 29th, 2011, 17:02
Trailer looks preaty good,I like the way they made a The Sim expansion pack out of dungeon keeper. :D (So many styls and rooms and each..)

Question:Is the game in german? there is a way to convert it to english?

Another Question:Is the battle scene are that slow in the gameplay? (that will be pathetic if so..)

Patrician
June 29th, 2011, 22:33
You can play it in English by clicking the Union flag, but it seems to revert back to German every so often on a whim. I tried the game out for a bit, not enough to pass a definitive judgment but I got a taster.

Firstly, I was annoyed that despite reading "no downloads necessary!" I was prompted to download some sort of add-on before the game would work. I then had to close google chrome as the game froze with a black screen and struggled for nearly five minutes to find the log in screen again - I could find the Register new account easily, however. Finally logged in again and started watching the intro video. Stopped watching the intro "video" after 1 minute having tired of the painful backstory and amateur crayon drawings that traipsed lazily across the screen. Found myself on the create character screen (this game's an RPG as well as... whatever else it's supposed to be) which had sliders for skin tone, hair style and colour and height. The use of sliders was completely unnecessary for all but height, which was the only one on a spectrum. You can also choose one of three classes (not the exact names): warrior, dexterous warrior or wizard. Gender is unnegotiably male.

Having designed my character and clicked continue I was immediately taken to a 3rd person view of my character in a dungeon room, and presented with a key showing the W,A,S,D controls. I started moving, clunkily with the lag, and clicked on a door as instructed by some on-screen text. I then proceeded up a corridor and was arrested by dramatic music and a sparkling cone of light in front of my character. After a minute's loading time, the bright light had taken the shape of a skeleton. After winning a brief turn-based fight I was able to claim my prize from a grand chest that had materialised in the centre of the room. The chest lid opened and I saw my winnings.. a few bones. Unperturbed by my disappointing loot, I continued to the next room and dispatched a fleshy monster and another skeleton, gaining another 2 levels and securing another unremarkable reward. I then left the "dungeon" through a blue portal and after a post-match debriefing of my achievements I was inexplicably taken to a birdseye view of a small plot of earth with one room dug out. It seems you also construct dungeons, as well as entering other dungeons (belonging to other players or just computers, I'm not sure) with your character. I placed a corridor, and tried to place a small room, but was unable to for unclear reasons. It was at this point I decided to give up, possibly never to return.

It's difficult to judge from such a short experience (about 8 minutes, not including registration and 2 attempts to get the game started), but first impressions are sometimes the best, particularly for browser games. The graphics were ok for this type of the game, but the gameplay was clunky and unimaginative. Maybe I missed some hints by skipping the intro video, but I found myself a little confused as to why I was playing RPG one moment and then expected to design a "dungeon" the next. The dungeon design mode looked very basic and unimpressive from my limited experience of it. I really wouldn't recommend playing this game unless you've a lot of free time and don't mind wasting it on an aborted retarded foetus conceived between DK2 and Neverwinter Nights.

Keeper_Infernal
June 30th, 2011, 06:41
That is something disapointing to hear,And no i dont have time to waste,i have like 10 campains to finish at keeperfx,and from what I understand from you,it does not worth it.. (Question:Maybe the game was anoying b/c your PC was anoying?,I have windows 7 ultimate 2000 RAM and a ton of things,maybe it will work better for me?)

Empires13
August 21st, 2012, 07:18
Trailer looks preaty good,I like the way they made a The Sim expansion pack out of dungeon keeper. :D (So many styls and rooms and each..)

Question:Is the game in german? there is a way to convert it to english?

Another Question:Is the battle scene are that slow in the gameplay? (that will be pathetic if so..) If there is a browser game could catch your eyes, the new strategy game Rise of Europe (http://www.dotmmo.com/rise-of-europe-12294.html) is your must have game of your recent search.

Dungeon Empires, an upcoming browser based dungeon construction RPG in the works at German developer Limbic Entertainment. The game will feature the ability to create your own dungeons to trap hapless adventurers, as well as the ability to attempt to plunder other dungeons with your own hero, with both modes interdependent, as explained here: "Only those who plunder enemy dungeons will receive new monsters, rooms and items for their own chamber of terror. The clever connection between the two gameplay modes keeps motivation high." The Dungeon Empires Website is accepting signups for their upcoming closed beta test, and here are some screenshots.