PDA

View Full Version : Running in VMWare Workstation - any sucesses?

Tami Kovacs
June 30th, 2011, 16:11
I'm about to try it under Windows 2000 - I couldn't get it to run under Windows 98 because VMWare wouldn't let me change the guest OS to displaying in 256-colour mode (needs graphics drivers, virtual machines don't *have* graphics cards therefore no drivers...pretty infuriating but whatever). I managed to get hold of an ISO of the Gold Edition (I really, really, really wanted Deeper Dungeons and the GoG.com version apparently doesn't support it :(.)
I have heard of some people being able to coax it into running under Linux in a virtual machine - has anyone else had any success with this or any other guest OS?

I'm using VMWare Workstation 1.7 without VMWare tools.

DragonsLover
July 1st, 2011, 21:36
And how about using KeeperFX (http://keeper.lubie.org/html/dk_keeperfx.php) ?

Tami Kovacs
July 2nd, 2011, 00:50
I'll see if I can coax it into running that way, but I have a feeling that I'm going to have to somehow find a version of WinZip for Windows 98. I hope some generous Internet person still has it (otherwise, things are about to get doubly infuriating).

Tami Kovacs
July 3rd, 2011, 04:59
I've tried to get the KeeperFX 7z file and the 7z installer to the VM, and it's not working. I can't get it to connect to the Internet to download them from the VM either. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? I set the connection type to NAT, and I'm trying to drag-and-drop the files like I would normally do.

DragonsLover
July 9th, 2011, 19:30
Wait, first, what OS do you have?

I talked about KeeperFX to use it NOT into VMWare, but into your main OS, but if you have a Mac or a Linux, then it may become troublesome.

Tami Kovacs
July 10th, 2011, 01:09
I'm running 64-bit Windows 7, so I can't even get Dungeon Keeper to install on my physical PC (much less run it!). The ISO doesn't autoplay, and when I run setup.exe I get the security dialogue, then nothing happens. I tried watching it in the task manager and apparently it just dies after a couple of seconds. That was why I was trying to run it in a virtual machine - I actually managed to get it to install, which was the hard part. Now it's just running it.

DragonsLover
July 10th, 2011, 14:23
Or, instead of getting Dungeon Keeper or Dungeon Keeper Gold to install, you can simply download and install the latest version of KeeperFX instead.

Tami Kovacs
July 11th, 2011, 03:52
The problem is that it seems to need Dungeon Keeper installed anyway to work, right? (Unless I just have to copy the CD files, that I can do.)

DragonsLover
July 12th, 2011, 16:58
You only need the Dungeon Keeper original CD and that's all. The integrated installer of KeeperFX will ask you to select the place where the original game files are stored and you'll be ready to play.