PDA

View Full Version : 2 Problems

Randy19
August 27th, 2011, 14:01
Hello guys. I'm new, both here, as well as to Dungeon Keeper Mapmaking(not the game itself though, played it since i was 4). I recently found KeeperFX, and since both me and my Dad are huge DK fans i thought hey, why not make a fun map?

Said, and done. I have the map, have scripted it, and except of two little things everything works.

First thing: In the middle is a room with Heroes. White, but when i come in, they simply join me most of the time. They don't take my color, i got nno control over them, but they don't attack me, and instead defend me. When a keeper attacks me, the whites fight them off, they wander trough my dungeon, but never attack me. That was not the plan...they were supposed to simply attack whoever they saw. What am i doing wrong?

And second: i have a few Events, some Mobs joining for enough Gold, some messages popping up if special events take place, like the roaming Avatar joining a side. They all are accompied by Messages(these green "!"'s). The second player, my dad, doesn't get them most of the time, or get's them twice, but it doesn't really work, most simply don't arrive by him. I think this is due to the messages beeing ment for single player, and thus only for Player 0, red, and not player 1 blue. Thus blue is ignored and they only get send to red. Is there any way to fix this?

As i said i am fairly new to mapping and scripting(more scripting than mapping, since i mapped earlier just never made Scripts) and thus i am not very familiar with alternatives.

On another note is it possible to get special letters like the german ö,ä,ü into the game? If i type these in the script i get some strange signs which make no sense.

Thank you in advance.

Duke Ragereaver
August 27th, 2011, 14:43
Hello!

Welcome to KK! As a DK1-mapmaker you might find this (http://keeper.lubie.org/dk1_docs/dk_scripting_ref.htm) manual come in handy. As for your questions I will try to answer as best I can. ;)

It's a bit confusing what you wrote but I can assume they are still on the Heroes ''side'', are they still white? Are you sure you didn't accidently ally yourself with them in the script?
Can the display objective or the question mark ''?'' instead be a substitute for this? Just a wild guess here.
No, I'm afraid not.

Edit: Don't forget if you want to upload maps using the forum you need to join the mapmakers group first!

Metal Gear Rex
August 27th, 2011, 15:02
It also would be very helpful if you give us the script so we can have a good look at it and see what could be wrong.

Randy19
August 27th, 2011, 19:41
Thank you for your advices. I'm not planning on releasing any maps for now, as i stated in my post it's mainly for me and my father. I might release them one day though

To one, yes they are still white, i can't take them up and have no controll over them. They are still heroes, so they are white, they simply don't attack me. But everyone else. I'm 100% sure i did not tell the script to make them ally with me(simply because i'm not that far yet) but in the lobby i often Ally myself with the blue player before we start the match. Now that i actually think about it our units still attack each other....could it be that the lobby mistakes the white and blue players and allies me with the white heroes instead of the blue keeper?

to two, no they are really just quick notes of special events happening, like "Oh i see you have a lot of gold, thus some monsters joined you" (which happens after mining soandso much gold then they come out of the hero gate with a note "The (playercolor here) Keeper has...")and this happens quiet often, so replacing the objective(which i have in use already too) would be confusing since the old entries would be deleted. And they are just supposed to be a quick note on important ongoings.

I am enclosing my script TXT with this post, since i am german comments and actuall Messagetexts are in german, but i mainly used the Comments as headlines like"Messages" "Events" "Creatures" and so on, and i don't think the actuall content of the messages is important.

So thank you very much for your help and here is my Scriptfile:

DragonsLover
August 29th, 2011, 00:47
For the first thing, try not to ally with anyone and check if heroes want to attack you. Also, make sure that heroes aren't placed into a prison.
For the second thing, it should work. Start with number 0 instead of 1, and you also forgot strings number 8 and 9. Try to follow a correct order into your script. Your first string appearing at the most top of the file should be 0, the next one in the script should be 1, and so on until you reach the last one.
For the third thing, yes, it is possible. You must open the text file as a Dos text file using WordPad or Notepad++.

Randy19
August 29th, 2011, 02:26
Ok for first: I'm gonna try it next time. But i think that was it.

For two: And if i do that it will show for other players too? So for blue too and such?

And third, Thank you, i will try it

DragonsLover
August 29th, 2011, 13:30
For two: And if i do that it will show for other players too? So for blue too and such?

Well, it's supposed to. I tried myself using version 0.37c in Skirmish mode with player blue and every DISPLAY_OBJECTIVE/INFORMATION or QUICK_OBJECTIVE/INFORMATION commands show the message for that player. The same thing should happen in multiplayer mode.

EDIT: Oh, I just spotted the problem : QUICK_INFORMATION command doesn't have a third parameter (the player). It should be:

QUICK_INFORMATION(0,"This is an example.")

Randy19
August 29th, 2011, 15:20
Oh i see. That may be it. I went after the manual and i think i mixed it up, they said you need a player after that to tell it to which Dungeon Heart to zoom to, and All_players would disable it that's why i put it there. Thank you! I'll try that out then.

EDIT:

It may have been a problem with the Level_Version that's new to KeeperFX. I included it, and then the messages didn't work anymore without ,ALL_PLAYERS. Now i edited it out and they work without it again. I edited the numbers of the Messages too. I'm gonna send it to dad and see how it goes and report back later.

EDIT2:

I did a quicktest, and from what i saw it seems to be working now. I will have to test out the problem with the heroes, and test the informations more intensive, but it looks good from what i saw now. Thank you for your help everyone.

DragonsLover
August 30th, 2011, 14:17
Perhaps something should be done to the commands to actually tell which player should "receive" the message.

Randy19
August 30th, 2011, 21:22
Yeah. I think that would be very helpfull. Most multiplayermaps don't need them since it#s simply destroying other people's hearts. But i'm sure more advanced multiplayer maps with events would be fun and then Messages are really helpfull.

DragonsLover
September 1st, 2011, 13:18
I think it's being planned for a future release.

mefistotelis
September 2nd, 2011, 09:31
It seems you've figured everything out.

When there's no 'LEVEL_VERSION' command in script, then KeeperFX assumes it's a script for original DK - commands will act in the same manner as in DK1, and those specific for KeeperFX will not work at all.

If there is 'LEVEL_VERSION', modified set of commands is used - the updated commands are listed in README.