PDA

View Full Version : Dungeon Keeper Minecraft Mod.

Andrew 安迪 Kenny
September 6th, 2011, 23:37
Hey guys,

I have got it into my head to create a Dungeon Keeper Mod for minecraft.

Im alright with programming, but At textures i am not so good, which is where you guys come in....

Textures for minecraft blocks are traditionally 16*16, but i believe that options for that and higher resolutions would be very cool. (higher res for looking awesom and lower res for slow computers)

if you guys got any questions, please feel free to ask, and if you fancy a Texture challenge, please go ahead!!!

Cheers

EDB

kyle
September 7th, 2011, 13:39
http://code.google.com/p/wfto/source/browse/trunk/data/resources/textures/atlas4_COLOR_HI_optimized.bmp - Here is dungeon keeper 1's textures which have been redrawn by syn in hi definition. That might help you out.

ventris
September 7th, 2011, 15:44
I support this it will combine the fun of minecraft with the amazingness of DK1. Have you set up a thread on the minecraft forum?

Andrew 安迪 Kenny
September 7th, 2011, 17:53
http://code.google.com/p/wfto/source/browse/trunk/data/resources/textures/atlas4_COLOR_HI_optimized.bmp - Here is dungeon keeper 1's textures which have been redrawn by syn in hi definition. That might help you out.

Cheers for that link, you ROCK!!

i havnt set up a thread on minecraft, as i have only got the wall and wall selected blocks working, and i havnt added the NPCs yet. It is very early stages. Do you think its worth making a thread????

Skyman
September 8th, 2011, 08:44
Awesome, make a texture pack and host a server :) We'll be having mad fun :D

kyle
September 8th, 2011, 09:48
Cheers for that link, you ROCK!!

i havnt set up a thread on minecraft, as i have only got the wall and wall selected blocks working, and i havnt added the NPCs yet. It is very early stages. Do you think its worth making a thread????

I do, posting a screenshot of ANYTHING would get people interested.

Andrew 安迪 Kenny
September 8th, 2011, 19:10
Good point.
So far I have completed the walls and the tool which alternates a wal block between selected and unselected. My next challege is to program an npc to find selected blocks then remove them. I will then make it look like an imp some how.

in Case the resolution of the images are too high, does anyone have a copy of the low resolution tiles??
Cheers.

kyle
September 8th, 2011, 19:20
Good point.
So far I have completed the walls and the tool which alternates a wal block between selected and unselected. My next challege is to program an npc to find selected blocks then remove them. I will then make it look like an imp some how.

in Case the resolution of the images are too high, does anyone have a copy of the low resolution tiles??
Cheers.

http://code.google.com/p/wfto/source/browse/trunk/data/resources/textures/atlas4_COLOR.bmp

Andrew 安迪 Kenny
September 9th, 2011, 14:17
Cheers Kyle.
here is a life saving thread which will help me to build the IMP, and the rest of the creatures..
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/529327-modloader-adding-custom-mobs-and-more/
im posting it here for 2 reasons, 1 so that i dont lose the link, and 2, like the pokemod, some community help may be needed in the future.
But for now, im building one of everything, that way any bugs found can be applied to just a few classes.

dotted
September 11th, 2011, 11:13
Cheers.

You know most image editing programs can resize images right?

Andrew 安迪 Kenny
September 12th, 2011, 23:17
You know most image editing programs can resize images right?

Yes, but i just wanted to make sure.

By the way, which Texture do you think makes up the top of the unfortified earth.

i tried the textures before water, but they dont flow, in that they dont tile together like the others do.

most of its coming together now, its only the fortified wall, its varitaions and the rooms i have to do now. but il leave the rooms till after the alpha 1 ha, lets get something simple working first.

Andrew 安迪 Kenny
September 13th, 2011, 03:17
double post, so sorry, here are some screenies

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/27680254/dk%20sharing/2011-09-13_03.13.47.png
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/27680254/dk%20sharing/2011-09-13_03.08.06.png

i know gold has a bit of an error, il sort that now. i recon i make it like glow stone or redstone in that it glows when you go near it, or maybe all the time, im not sure.

DragonsLover
September 13th, 2011, 13:14
Nice! :cool:
The door is also a bit unusual too. That axe is supposed to be reserved for the Barracks room.

Andrew 安迪 Kenny
September 13th, 2011, 14:04
I know, but because the door is now 2 blocks high, it was looking a little bare, so i pinched that tile.

im hoping to add the rest of the doors soon, along with fortified walls.

as for programming that has stalled until 1.8 comes out, no point in making stuff now, which will only break when the update comes.

ventris
September 13th, 2011, 19:32
Looking great so far, and what are the mobs going to be reskined as?

Andrew 安迪 Kenny
September 13th, 2011, 20:03
Why ventris, I plan to make new mobs. and control their movements. i should point out that those mobs will hopefully look like DK creatures. eventually

I also hope to be able to add working rooms.

ventris
September 13th, 2011, 21:45
Nice :D can't wait till 1.8 comes out just so this can get started on

DragonsLover
September 15th, 2011, 17:00
1.8 is out by the way, but in a beta state.

kyle
September 15th, 2011, 17:23
Runs like utter shit on my computer.

natchoguy
September 17th, 2011, 12:46
yeah, lag issues are starting up again. probably because of the new generator

Andrew 安迪 Kenny
September 17th, 2011, 17:17
Its not just the patch, its the coding pack im also waiting for to update, its taking a while for some reason.

Andrew 安迪 Kenny
September 23rd, 2011, 16:47
Im working on it at the moment, just struggling with the textures for the top of the fortified walls. When they are done, i will do a post on the minecraft forum.

DragonsLover
September 23rd, 2011, 21:48
Andrew, I sent you a PM, it's been 10 days already and you didn't answer, even by sending you a reminder. Could you please check your inbox and answer or at least tell me if you're interested or not about what I said in the PM instead of being quiet. Thanks!

Andrew 安迪 Kenny
October 4th, 2011, 02:23
sorry dragonslover. if you dont mind il reply on this forum.

the mod is being made in Java, the textures are kindly donated by kyle, and i have sussed out the texture issue. I have recently completed a basic version of fortified walls. ie does not take into account none fortifed walls nearby in its texure, but it does look cool.

I plan to have the maps for this built in the nether, this seams appropriate. I also plan to use fraps to record a video as soon as I have optimized some stuff/found a computer that can run fraps and a 64 pixel texture pack!!

sorry for not checking, i just started uni, and its busy busy busy!

DragonsLover
October 4th, 2011, 13:07
Okay, no problem. And if you need help in your recordings, I have Fraps.

Andrew 安迪 Kenny
October 5th, 2011, 13:57
Thanks.

Question actually, does anyone have the image for the pots of gold that go onto the treasure room?? i intend to use it like the game uses flowers.

---------- Post added at 13:57 ---------- Previous post was at 13:56 ----------

Thanks.

Question actually, does anyone have the image for the pots of gold that go onto the treasure room?? i intend to use it like the game uses flowers.

kyle
October 5th, 2011, 14:21
There you go.

Also when War for the overworld was starting off we got the gold bag from DKI modeled in 3D form. You want that instead?

Andrew 安迪 Kenny
October 5th, 2011, 16:08
Thank you so much Kyle. i recon i have enough to do some more screenshots soon.

In the last day i have added:

Lair,

Treasure Room (Kinda, hard to explain)

Tools to make Lair.

No thanks regarding the 3d, the way Minecraft works means that it turns a flat image into a cross 3d, like so:
http://t7ak.roblox.com/cdca8c155068a787dce4b7d47aeede48

i hope the gold image will look ok.

kyle
October 5th, 2011, 16:38
Well we have a load more models if you need any, including ones of creatures. If you need any more images just tell me.

Andrew 安迪 Kenny
October 9th, 2011, 10:20
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAn5LILtCRc

what do you think guys???

natchoguy
October 10th, 2011, 14:28
really cool. audio is too quiet in video. Try to make creatures using NPC's in the upcoming patch since the NPC's.

Searingflame2
October 11th, 2011, 06:46
Super fantastic!

Very much looking forward to this =)

Andrew 安迪 Kenny
October 12th, 2011, 15:47
thanks for the feedback regarding the sound, not only was i recovering a cold, but it was late at night, and i didnt want to wake my housemates.

currently im working on the currency of the game, which i hope to be able to show you with a new youtube video.

Btw, could you guys help me with my minecraftforum thread, with the occasional bump???

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/700008-wip-dungeon-keeper-craft/page__p__9136831#entry9136831

il have a new update soon!!

kyle
October 12th, 2011, 16:16
I have a 3D model of the original DKI dungeon heart, want it?

Andrew 安迪 Kenny
October 12th, 2011, 17:27
hey kyle, that does sound very cool.

im going to say yes, however im not sure at this point as to how to incorpourate it into minecraft. minecraft has some crazy mechanics.

btw, i credited you and your project in my video, it seamed like the right thing to do.

DragonsLover
October 12th, 2011, 17:37
That's cool! Great progress there! Keep it up! :cool:

kyle
October 12th, 2011, 17:45
hey kyle, that does sound very cool.

im going to say yes, however im not sure at this point as to how to incorpourate it into minecraft. minecraft has some crazy mechanics.

btw, i credited you and your project in my video, it seamed like the right thing to do.

Haha thanks man, I actually had the very same idea you're doing now a while ago, spoke to dotted about it, but wfto needed my attention more. I'm glad at least someones doing it.

If you need any models for your game, go here : http://code.google.com/p/wfto/source/browse/#svn%2Ftrunk%2Fdata%2Fresources%2Fmodels

We had a load of original DKI stuff put into a model, like arrows, barrels, dungeon heart, and a load of the creatures like the imps. So you're free to use any of the models you need from there. Anyone is really.

Andrew 安迪 Kenny
November 14th, 2011, 16:19
Hey guys, sorry for lack of updates, i havnt abanded the mod, but i have been busy with different projects, and been on holliday,

plus with these new updates, its always tricky to know whether its worth making stuff that will later break.

im working on the hatchery at the moment, as its surrounded by the equivilent of stairs, with the middle being half slabs, the surrounding checks are proving laggy. although it did improve when i updated it from "on tick" to "on neighbour change."

im currently proof reading a dissertation for a Taiwanese friend of mine, when i have done that, i will finnish the hatchery, and show you guys the other new stuff which has been added.
i think you will like the new dungeon heart.

MaxHayman
November 15th, 2011, 00:14
Nice, cant wait to get digging.

The Evil One
November 15th, 2011, 03:09
WOW can't wait for it to be finished! :D

GuardianGray
November 19th, 2011, 17:00
hi, you have my private message ??
reply in PM please

Andrew 安迪 Kenny
November 24th, 2011, 04:27
hi, you have my private message ??
reply in PM please

hey, im sorry i my inbox on this seams buggy. also i have been busy with armery related things. i do fencing. i hope to update the mod and the video soon.

Jester_Dan
May 24th, 2012, 17:19
Just wondering, is this still happening? I think it's an awesome idea. Would be brilliant with an imp skin on your character too! Cheers.