PDA

View Full Version : MOD Sections In Forums

Enker-Zan
September 25th, 2011, 14:04
I really think there should be a MODs sections placed in all the DK game sections on the forums. For example. I found like 2 or 3 other MODs buried in the DK 1 section, and I think 2 in the DK 2 section. They were not easy to spot, and would be alot more noticable to the public if they had their own section to be placed in.

Example:

---------------------------
Dungeon Keeper 1

DK1 Mapmaking
DK1 Multiplayer
DK1 Troubleshooting
DK1 Mods

Dungeon Keeper 2

DK2 Mapmaking
DK2 Multiplayer
DK2 Troubleshooting
DK2 Mods

dotted
September 27th, 2011, 07:16
We dont make a distinction between maps and mods, but i made the maps forum shown on the index page rather than the mapmaking forum.

Enker-Zan
September 27th, 2011, 20:28
We dont make a distinction between maps and mods

Why not? There is a big difference between the two... Especialy my MOD that changes the creatures.txt and the edited the original 20 levels. I do believe Zyraen's Tweaked campaign also did the same thing as me too.

dotted
September 28th, 2011, 16:27
how does 2-3 "mods" warrent an entire subforum? Editing existing levels is not a big distinction from a map, it is simply just a map - and a changed creatures.txt is certanly not what i consider a "big" change. The only real mod i know of is keeperfx, and it has it's own board.

My goal is to keep the number of subforums as low as possible, so if i am to make a new one it there better be a good reason for it.

Enker-Zan
September 28th, 2011, 21:18
My goal is to keep the number of subforums as low as possible

Why is that? O.o

Mothrayas
September 28th, 2011, 22:07
Why is that? O.o

To keep things organized and tidy, duh.

Enker-Zan
September 29th, 2011, 00:18
Not very organized if MODs (edited maps and files that have different gameplay value) are buried under questions about the original game.

Since no one likes the idea of having a sub forum about it, how about create a sticky in the same area they are already in and just have a list of links to all the threads about it.

dotted
September 29th, 2011, 04:29
Not very organized if MODs (edited maps and files that have different gameplay value) are buried under questions about the original game.

Since no one likes the idea of having a sub forum about it, how about create a sticky in the same area they are already in and just have a list of links to all the threads about it.
there are no general questions about the game in the maps forum, you may call it a mod, but its stilll only a map

sticky is a bad idea, who is gonna keep it up to date?

Enker-Zan
September 29th, 2011, 09:02
My MOD is not located in the maps forum, it is in the Dungeon Keeper 1 Section. Anybody who is a Mod could keep it up to date, it's not like we get a whole lot of people modding the game here. Maybe enough to count on 2 hands. -.-

Mothrayas
September 29th, 2011, 09:11
My MOD is not located in the maps forum, it is in the Dungeon Keeper 1 Section.

Easy enough for a mod/admin to move it to maps forum...

And hell, more than enough maps have modified game files (especially the ole ones by DzjeeAr), so your 'mod' is not unique in that regard.

Anybody who is a MOD could keep it up to date, it's not like we get a whole lot of people modding the game here. Maybe enough to count on 2 hands. -.-

Yeah, they could, it's just that no one with the authority would want to.

Enker-Zan
September 29th, 2011, 09:51
Fine then, have it your way... -.-

dotted
September 29th, 2011, 12:31
My MOD is not located in the maps forum
It is now.

Anybody who is a MOD could keep it up to date, it's not like we get a whole lot of people modding the game here. Maybe enough to count on 2 hands. -.-
Time is awfully easy to give away when it isn't ones own. As far as I'm concerned we have 2 modders, and only 1 is currently active working on KeeperFX.

I don't define your mod as a mod because a mod takes more than just changing variables. By your definition Counter-Strike with sv_gravity set to 10 is a mod, which i do not think it is.

Enker-Zan
September 29th, 2011, 22:17
If you modified anything on the game, it's a MOD none-the-less. Whether it's a big or small change, determines the size.

Tis why MOD stands for Modified Original Data.

Console commands on the other hand do not count because that can be done in-game or at the start. Which that feature you posted above does not count because of that, and it comes with the original product.

Now you may jump to the conclusion of "Well your MOD is all from the original product". Difference between mine and what you posted is, mine was not done by console command.

Mothrayas
September 29th, 2011, 22:25
Regardless, maps or map packs which also have modified creature.txt (and similar) files, have always been categorized as maps. Your 'mod' is not special in that regard.

(Also, I don't see anywhere mod standing for "modified original data" - afaik it's just an abbreviated form of "modification")

Enker-Zan
September 29th, 2011, 23:00
(Also, I don't see anywhere mod standing for "modified original data" - afaik it's just an abbreviated form of "modification")

That it is, and it kind of died years ago when people started getting uber lazy with punctuation, as Randall Graves would say "I'm taking it back!".

Metal Gear Rex
September 30th, 2011, 00:19
You can complain and argue about it all you want, Enker-Zan. You're not really going to go anywhere with it though. Fact is, dotted isn't going to change it.

dotted
September 30th, 2011, 04:42
If you modified anything on the game, it's a MOD none-the-less. Whether it's a big or small change, determines the size.
I'm not creating an entire forum on a technicality.

Tis why MOD stands for Modified Original Data.
No, so stop capitalizing the word.

Console commands on the other hand do not count because that can be done in-game or at the start. Which that feature you posted above does not count because of that, and it comes with the original product.
So if your "mod" could be accompliseh entirely using console commands it's no longer a mod?

MeinCookie
September 30th, 2011, 05:37
An alternative. You could create tags like in the WftO forum so that of people wish to denote their submission as a [Mod] instead of a [Map] they can and nobody else has to worry about it.

None-the-less, you are being extremely petty Enk.

Enker-Zan
September 30th, 2011, 08:31
You can complain and argue about it all you want, Enker-Zan. You're not really going to go anywhere with it though. Fact is, dotted isn't going to change it.

I already took that hint after the 3rd reply.

So if your "mod" could be accompliseh entirely using console commands it's no longer a mod?

I sincerely doubt that could be done.

None-the-less, you are being extremely petty Enk.

No, not really, but what evs.

Mothrayas
September 30th, 2011, 12:08
I already took that hint after the 3rd reply.

Then why are you still arguing about it?

Enker-Zan
September 30th, 2011, 17:20
I was arguing the destinction of what a MOD is, but obviously I cannot fill a cup that is already full.