PDA

View Full Version : enlighten me...

Nazgren
September 29th, 2011, 13:44
after reading the no gunpowder rule i got a bit confused
do sentry guns fire through mana or are they being removed? i know they cost mana to fire but im shure that if there was some way to make mana explode then it would have been a spell as well....

kyle
September 29th, 2011, 14:03
They are being removed

Nazgren
September 29th, 2011, 14:32
aaaahh, ok, seems a shame but then having a wall of sentry guns around my heart and then a wall of spike traps around them made me pretty much unkillable...

Searingflame2
October 1st, 2011, 16:57
Funny that there's such a rule, for I detest gunpowder in my games.

...One of the reasons why Rome is the best Total War.

`ETCH
October 2nd, 2011, 18:34
only one the many reasons why dk2 was such a terrible attempt at a new game :x

Mothrayas
October 2nd, 2011, 18:39
only one the many reasons why dk2 was such a terrible attempt at a new game :x

Not really. The closest thing to gunpowder in DK2 was the Sentry Trap, and it was actually just fine in my opinion. It doesn't feel as gunpowder-y as those suggestions which caused the gunpowder rule to appear in the first place.

The actual reasons why DK2 is considered 'terrible' were poor game balance (hi Black Knight), most creatures were useless outright, the Combat Pit was broken, gameplay was much slower than DK1, the stun mechanic which was just bad, possession was (even more) broken, creatures and heroes all hating each other, spells being really limited in comparison to DK1, and other things.

natchoguy
October 2nd, 2011, 18:46
DK2 wasn't a terrible game. It's just that Dk1 is within most preferences. I like both 'em equally. While Dk1 had a more unique dungeon management system; I enjoyed the DK2 campaign more. Most have to agree that even though it did screw some stuff up: Dk2 improved a number of stuff from Dk1

Funderbunk
October 2nd, 2011, 20:04
Yeah, things like click-dragging to build full rooms in one go, using mana instead of gold for spells, being able to just make the traps and doors you want, and picking up a huge amount of creatures make going back to DK1 a huge adjustment, and quite a pain. Still, it's always worth it just for the more interesting creatures, better gameplay all around, and the more satisfying atmosphere.

Anyway, you can easily replace the sentry trap with some sort of catapult or trebuchet or ballista trap or whatever. Just something that looks different, but does the same thing. Set the ammo on fire if you must. Hell, a catapult would have fit better in DK2 considering it was supposed to be your earliest tech trap, yet somehow a cannon was more easily in technological reach than a freaking cage with a skeleton it?

EDIT: Actually, I often wondered about, if it's a dungeon, why aren't there a lot of more traditional dungeon type dart traps? Or moving wall with spikes type traps?

Nazgren
October 2nd, 2011, 22:53
shurely a catapult wouldent work as the roof is as high as the blocks?

natchoguy
October 3rd, 2011, 01:21
we already have a replacement for the sentry

Funderbunk
October 3rd, 2011, 09:54
Cool.

shurely a catapult wouldent work as the roof is as high as the blocks?

Good point, but then again, a dragon is very tall and a sentry trap never had that much range to begin with.

amcoops
October 10th, 2011, 15:15
we already have a replacement for the sentry

Do tell...?

Some sort of tall (as tall as a man) shard of crystal that throws out spells would be pretty awesome.

natchoguy
October 10th, 2011, 16:22
It's not as interesting as you think but I don't remember what it's called. It's a contraption that shoots in 3 different directions

DonJoe
October 12th, 2011, 03:46
WITH LAZERS! *PEW PEW*

Metal Gear Rex
October 12th, 2011, 04:28
WITH LAZERS! *PEW PEW*

*shoots down DonJoe with a lasor*

It's not as interesting as you think but I don't remember what it's called. It's a contraption that shoots in 3 different directions

If I'm not mistaken, you're talking about the Mangonel Trap (http://keeperklan.com/threads/2077-Mangonel), yes?

natchoguy
October 12th, 2011, 21:07
I'm pretty sure it's the closest thing to the sentry being accepted (if so). But yes, you're right