PDA

View Full Version : Mentor Voice

Blutonium
October 6th, 2009, 16:13
Ok, I assume most people want the DK1 mentor voice - so lets get cracking!

- Do you work with SoundFX Software?
- Can you know how to turn an ordinary voice into a Deep, Mentor-like voice?

If you can, post your tests here.

We should get someone to record all the Mentor voice quotes, but that's for later - right now we just need to get the Effect right.

here is what I can do so far:
http://www.filefactory.com/file/a0e85d2/n/MentorTest_mp3

I'm not an audio expert, so i'm sure there are other people that can do better :p

kyle
October 6th, 2009, 17:19
i for sure want the mentor voice from DKI it was far better than the seconds

Simburgur
October 6th, 2009, 17:20
I, for one, much preferred the DK2 mentor.

Also, if someone is able to extract them, we can use the audio files from DK1/2 until we get some proper voicework done.

kyle
October 6th, 2009, 17:25
I just bought some sound editing software, lets see how this goes.

Dre@m
October 6th, 2009, 18:38
For future reference, please use this site: http://www.supload.com/free-audio-hosting

It allows listening of the sound directly from the site without waiting to download the file etc etc.

kyle
October 6th, 2009, 19:14
Ok i did this in about 10 mins, not to happy with it but here it is

http://www.supload.com/sound_confirm.php?get=516049729.wav

Dre@m
October 6th, 2009, 19:43
Ok i did this in about 10 mins, not to happy with it but here it is

http://www.supload.com/sound_confirm.php?get=516049729.wav

There is the LISTEN link that looks like this: http://www.supload.com/listen?s=DcJy5F

But with your file, that's just something I uploaded some time ago, completely irrelevant to anything.

Odin
October 6th, 2009, 19:48
Your dungeon heart is under attack!

Keeper... Your minions need a bigger training room...

English + Low voice = Awesome.

kyle
October 6th, 2009, 19:59
What do you guys think of it?

Dre@m
October 6th, 2009, 20:00
What do you guys think of it?

http://www.supload.com/listen?s=f4z5xI

I tried modifying it, it's not exactly the greatest quote and I was using free software to edit it too... plus I'm terrible at editing sounds.

kyle
October 6th, 2009, 20:06
I meant what i tried submitting :L

Dre@m
October 6th, 2009, 20:07
I think it could do with improving, so I made an attempt at that but meh.

kyle
October 6th, 2009, 20:11
If only we could contact the sound engineers of bullfrog and ask them how they achieved the effect.

Dre@m
October 6th, 2009, 20:16
If only we could contact the sound engineers of bullfrog and ask them how they achieved the effect.

They recorded someone's voice who actually sounds like that...

kyle
October 6th, 2009, 20:23
Nope, its "Richard riding's" who voices the mentor, also known as the man who voices the daddy pig in peppa pig.

I shall attach a photo for the "lulz"

Blutonium
October 6th, 2009, 20:55
listen to my clip - it has that "build up echo" that the mentor is when saying a spell. as for the way the mentor generally talks (non spell), i'm betting a lot of that is in the performance.

we just need to get someone that can sound "close" to the mentor, to say DK lines, and then change the pitch/etc..

To help you guys with that, i do this:

- I change the pitch of the sound, but keep it at the same tempo.
- I reverse the sound, add a second of silent audio, add echo/reverb, and reverse again - gives it a "backwards echo"
- add bass by tweaking the lower spectrums

I'm pretty sure they did my step 2 in Dungeon Keeper, with the backwards echo - cause that effect sounds pretty close to me...

Dre@m
October 6th, 2009, 21:00
'Eck! That be more demonish. I was listening to the DK2 mentor quotes whilst doing mine.

Blutonium
October 6th, 2009, 21:04
yes but that's because of the way he says it...

the clip i used was boring, no feeling really, he didn't try to sound demonic, and he was kinda Arabian or something.
also, what he said wasn't DK related

(it's a gothic 3 sound clip, all i could find...)

kyle
October 6th, 2009, 22:45
Hey guys look what i managed to find in DKI's files.

http://www.supload.com/sound_confirm.php?get=1370256222.wav

Kromeh
October 7th, 2009, 00:22
I can do vocals, I am an actor, and I prefer lower toned voices anyway. I can imitate the mentor pretty closely without effects, I'll see if I can get a clean recording later.

Deflektor
October 7th, 2009, 05:28
Well, i know a good (and free) sound editor. Most of you probably heard about Audacity. You can do lot of things with it.

I used it frequently in the past, so maybe i could help there. However, i would need someone to do the voice, first, since my english accent is so terrible. Also, i would need to hear the mentor's voice as it is in the english version of the game. I played the french version only, altough i guess the voices in both versions are nearly the same.

Blutonium
October 7th, 2009, 09:38
I can do vocals, I am an actor, and I prefer lower toned voices anyway. I can imitate the mentor pretty closely without effects, I'll see if I can get a clean recording later.

upload us a few clips of what you can do, and then the rest of us can see if we can modify it :)

PS: I download the audio files you guys are uploading but it's like 16KB files - it doesn't have any audio?:confused:

danvzare
October 7th, 2009, 10:14
About the, should we use the dk1 voice or the dk2 voice i don't really care but i did like it when the dk2 voice said funny things such as "I wait in anticapation for your next great move" or something like that, so can we have things like that in it

Simburgur
October 7th, 2009, 14:06
About the, should we use the dk1 voice or the dk2 voice i don't really care but i did like it when the dk2 voice said funny things such as "I wait in anticapation for your next great move" or something like that, so can we have things like that in it

We could have both. One more interested in killing everything (DK1 mentor), the other more interested in research, money, and expanding your dungeon (DK2 mentor).

They would both pitch in when needed, and could fight for your attention :P

Blutonium
October 7th, 2009, 16:04
what? o.0

Simburgur
October 7th, 2009, 16:07
what? o.0

Nevermind. Looking back, it's kinda a dumb idea, lol ;)

agustins69
October 7th, 2009, 17:09
the voice mentor dk1 , is great...
dk2 ,,,mmm.... no good

DragonNOR
October 11th, 2009, 20:38
Hey just thought I'd try my hand at it :) The reverb could use some slack but I'm happy with how it turned out ^^

http://yourlisten.com/channel/content/26083/Mentor%20voice

I'm an actor in training btw :)

DragonNOR
October 12th, 2009, 14:07
I tried posting this yesterday, but for some reason it hasn't come through :/

http://yourlisten.com/channel/content/26083/Mentor_voice

I've always been a huge fan of DK1 and "Deeper Dungeons" so I figured I'd try one for fun ^^ I know the reverb is slightly over the top but that could be fixed :)

Lunanoko
November 10th, 2009, 15:14
I however, think the DK2 Mentor's voice is way better than the DK1's. Combined with the much funnier things he says, DK2's Mentor rocks :)

But that's just my opinion, and yes I know not many people here share that with me ;)

Hapuga
November 10th, 2009, 15:17
I like dk2 voice more too. Calm. Soft. And incredibly evil.

Walkerz
November 10th, 2009, 17:21
I agree on the DK2 mentor, was better in my opinion

Blutonium
November 10th, 2009, 17:26
FAIL

:D

Hapuga
November 10th, 2009, 17:47
explain.

dotted
November 10th, 2009, 19:40
explain.

The DK2 mentor at least in-game is slow and tiring to listen to. The style works fine outside the game such as the map screen in DK1 where he also is calm. One of my biggest annoyances with DK2 is its slowness which is something i dont want in WFTO.

Hapuga
November 10th, 2009, 21:29
The DK2 mentor at least in-game is slow and tiring to listen to. The style works fine outside the game such as the map screen in DK1 where he also is calm. One of my biggest annoyances with DK2 is its slowness which is something i dont want in WFTO.

Well, the pace is not a problem, I guess. When I say I like his voice, I mean that the very voice sounds nice. You know, evil advisers should have that kind of tone, seemingly relaxing and a bit soft. Basically, that is a classic picture of an evil adviser =). Remember Tolkien's Wormtongue, for example.

dotted
November 10th, 2009, 23:25
Well, the pace is not a problem, I guess. When I say I like his voice, I mean that the very voice sounds nice. You know, evil advisers should have that kind of tone, seemingly relaxing and a bit soft. Basically, that is a classic picture of an evil adviser =). Remember Tolkien's Wormtongue, for example.

I hate it. But only if used in-game. The calm voice just doesnt work in-game imo.

Metal Gear Rex
November 10th, 2009, 23:41
I like DK1's voice, sounds like I'm listening to the Horned Reaper himself. DK2's mentor fit pretty well in it's game, I mean with all the rouges and humanoid non evil-looking creatures, it fit in well. DK1's voice is perfect for it's darker gameplay.

Hapuga
November 10th, 2009, 23:48
I hate it. But only if used in-game. The calm voice just doesnt work in-game imo.

Well, tastes differ.

I agree with MGR. I guess, it is more of the game difference, than choosing what voice is better. If we plan to make a game with dark knights, angels and other evil dudes, then it's DK2 mentor. If we plan for demon spawns, bile demons and tentacles with dragons - dk 1.

Evi
November 10th, 2009, 23:59
In my opinion, I like both, in-game and in the Level Select. :p

Blutonium
November 11th, 2009, 06:24
we should try to stay away from most things that DK2 has done gameplay-wise, and follow DK1's style..... no use in following the style of a game that failed DK fans

danvzare
November 11th, 2009, 13:27
we should try to stay away from most things that DK2 has done gameplay-wise, and follow DK1's style..... no use in following the style of a game that failed DK fans

I thought DK2 was a brillient game and a lot better then DK1 (prepares for a bashing) but on the other hand I do think DK1 is much more scarier and I do prefer the DK1 horny and if you really think we should stay away from DK2 why does your dark misstress look like the DK2 one.

I really wished people would stop saying it's a crap game, we all have our prefrences but you shouldn't keep insulting a game just because you played DK1 first (And I did play DK1 first).

Lunanoko
November 11th, 2009, 15:32
I thought DK2 was a brillient game and a lot better then DK1 (prepares for a bashing) but on the other hand I do think DK1 is much more scarier ..<cut>..

I really wished people would stop saying it's a crap game, we all have our prefrences but you shouldn't keep insulting a game just because you played DK1 first (And I did play DK1 first).

Totally agree on what you say there :) (not on the cut part) I also played DK1 first, but gameplay-wise (except for the crashing) I think DK2 is better. Not to say that DK1 was bad, not at all! But DK2 sure is better imho...

BTW: Blutonium said we need to stay away gameplay-wise, not graphic-wise :)

Blutonium
November 11th, 2009, 17:26
yes, we want the creatures to look as close as possible (if not better) than the quality of DK2's cinematic models...

as for the voice, it's going to be easier to make the DK1 voice than DK2's anyway

yep...

DK1's voice could be a normal person's voice, but with sound FX filters and editing it should sound like the DK1 mentor (or close to it)

To make DK2's voice (which would be without any cool Sound FX Modification), the person would have to sound like the REAL DK2 mentor voice - a much more difficult task :eek:

Hapuga
November 11th, 2009, 17:36
Got a question.

Who's making the ingame speeches (text)?

Do we have somebody with a degree in English for the task?

natchoguy
November 11th, 2009, 21:39
Oh and who will do the voice acting and who will write the script

Hapuga
November 11th, 2009, 21:53
That's what I was asking, basically. I really don't want to hear some teenage nonsense (no offense to anyone).

Blutonium
November 11th, 2009, 22:01
we'll get someone - that's what this thread is for :p

so if you can make a mentor-like voice using sound editing software, or can talk like the mentor, show us what you got, you might just be in the game! :cool:

Hapuga
November 11th, 2009, 22:07
I know a guy who has a great writing style. If we come to the text part in the nearest year (before I graduate), I may ask him for help on mentor monologues, in-game replicas and such.

Grimhound
November 14th, 2009, 03:20
Because I was feeling goofy: http://www.supload.com/sound_confirm.php?get=1173061737.wav

Searingflame2
November 14th, 2009, 07:41
I do believe we discussed a while ago and decided that we'd ask the REAL LIFE MENTOR!!! to do it - when the game was near completion. But thats just me with my hopes up :P

dotted
November 14th, 2009, 10:05
I do believe we discussed a while ago and decided that we'd ask the REAL LIFE MENTOR!!! to do it - when the game was near completion. But thats just me with my hopes up :P

ad who will pay him and the recording studio?

Searingflame2
November 14th, 2009, 10:06
Don't you DARE kill my dreams *sobs*

A New Room
November 18th, 2009, 17:37
Thought I would give it a go.
http://www.supload.com/listen?s=XgEbw8
http://www.supload.com/listen?s=caU4fz

dotted
November 18th, 2009, 17:50
Thought I would give it a go.
http://www.supload.com/listen?s=XgEbw8

unholy s...

A New Room
November 18th, 2009, 19:33
unholy s...

Err... Is that a good thing?

Blutonium
November 18th, 2009, 20:19
lol, good attempt sir...

can you maybe say something that the mentor says in DK, so we can compare better?

like say, "You need a bigger Temple!"

also, can you do anything to the voice in a sound editing program?

Hapuga
November 18th, 2009, 21:53
Great voice! I guess you New Room, are our future mentor. You fit perfectly. 5 stars.

You sound so much like the DK1 mentor. Great. Kyle is great, too. Dont run away guys, at least for the nearest future =D

A New Room
November 18th, 2009, 22:17
lol, good attempt sir...

can you maybe say something that the mentor says in DK, so we can compare better?

like say, "You need a bigger Temple!"

also, can you do anything to the voice in a sound editing program? Okay here (http://www.supload.com/listen?s=9wayHw) is a very quickly cobbled together clip. I'm still trying to get the correct pitch on Audacity, so I think "you need a bigger training room" sounds a littttle to deep.

Hapuga
November 18th, 2009, 22:26
:eek:

:eek:

A must. And I don't want to hear any bullshit against. You sir, are fitting perfectly.

Evi
November 18th, 2009, 22:27
Holy crap!

You have gained all my respect in the entire World. :D

Madkill
November 19th, 2009, 00:40
Okay here (http://www.supload.com/listen?s=9wayHw) is a very quickly cobbled together clip. I'm still trying to get the correct pitch on Audacity, so I think "you need a bigger training room" sounds a littttle to deep.

You need to put a bit more emphasis on some of the words, flex those lips and it should work pretty swell.

For example-

"A new room has been researched"

Phonetic-

"A NEW rooooom has been re-serched"
-----

But anyway, I'm sure with practice you'll perfect the voice.

Also, if you want some monologues which are similar to that of the original narrators then look no further. :D

A New Room
November 19th, 2009, 01:30
Damn it! Now you guys 've gone and made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside :o and can I just say how exited I am about this mod! (I have never actually finished DK 1, due to a huge problem with never having a good enough computer to run it and then having a computer too powerful to run it at all.)

Well now I have entered these awesome forums, I feel it maybe time to make my lair and sleep in it.

Looking forward with to this with huge enthusiasm!

You need to put a bit more emphasis on some of the words, flex those lips and it should work pretty swell.

For example-

"A new room has been researched"

Phonetic-

"A NEW rooooom has been re-serched" Noted!

Also, if you want some monologues which are similar to that of the original narrators then look no further. :D That would be most appreciated :)

dotted
November 19th, 2009, 03:18
Err... Is that a good thing?

something like "i-didnt-know-you-could-get-this-close" good

Okay here (http://www.supload.com/listen?s=9wayHw) is a very quickly cobbled together clip. I'm still trying to get the correct pitch on Audacity, so I think "you need a bigger training room" sounds a littttle to deep.

nebster
November 19th, 2009, 14:16

2 and 5 sound awesome. 4 is a bit too high pitched at the beginning. 3 i think needs more pitch variation and 1 needs more emphasis.

I'm not very good at picking out what's wrong, just knowing that it's wrong. But I tried it with my voice and it really didn't work :P

Blutonium
November 19th, 2009, 16:34
A New Room.....I have to say man....you did it!

2,3 and 5 are...how can I say this...? Awesome!!111!? :eek:

I think if you sound a bit more angry, it would be perfect!

I also don't think anyone is going to top you.... you did a "practice" - if you were officially doing it and did 5 - 10 takes on each clip, it will be EXTREMELY accurate - especially if you listened to each Original DK Clip before performing the voice.

But yeah dude - you did it...

This thread is now officially a WIN :p I knew we could do it!

Now, for the spells, I know EXACTLY what Bullfrog did to get that special Sound right. I can help you there by doing the modifications to your originals, or telling you what to do (I work in sound forge though)

Just promise us one thing - that if you leave the forum for a couple of months, to please return when the game is almost ready for Sounds. Don't leave us - we need you to make this game awesome :horny:

And PS: I see you are from South Africa - heh, so am I!

kyle
November 19th, 2009, 18:25
Great voice! I guess you New Room, are our future mentor. You fit perfectly. 5 stars.

You sound so much like the DK1 mentor. Great. Kyle is great, too. Dont run away guys, at least for the nearest future =D

probably too late to respond to this, lol but i don't plan going anywhere, i spent a very long time searching and wishing for the dungeon keeper game to continued. Even though i didn't think much of dungeon keeper II's comical game-play and poor environment i still loved the series and it will remain my favorite game forever. I hope i can help you guys in any way to do this. Literally anything within my ability but the chances of you guys picking someone like me are.. Very slim :P

Hapuga
November 19th, 2009, 20:54
probably too late to respond to this, lol but i don't plan going anywhere, i spent a very long time searching and wishing for the dungeon keeper game to continued. Even though i didn't think much of dungeon keeper II's comical game-play and poor environment i still loved the series and it will remain my favorite game forever. I hope i can help you guys in any way to do this. Literally anything within my ability but the chances of you guys picking someone like me are.. Very slim :P

Lol, you have great voice come on! There are plenty of things to do there ye know, for example, I'd assign u to voice the "good" guys like kings and princes, maybe horny himself, maybe anyone else, who knows! We have two amaizing voices, talent is never lost :D

A New Room
November 19th, 2009, 21:08
Lol, you have great voice come on! There are plenty of things to do there ye know, for example, I'd assign u to voice the "good" guys like kings and princes, maybe horny himself, maybe anyone else, who knows! We have two amaizing voices, talent is never lost :D Yeah I was just thinking that! A hero would suit your voice perfectly! :)

Evi
November 20th, 2009, 03:31
Dang...

I wished I had a deeper voice, or to steal Sean Connery's voice, just so I could help.

If you all want, I could upload a clip of my annoying voice doing something random. :p

Madkill
November 20th, 2009, 04:12
I wished I had a deeper voice, or to steal Sean Connery's voice, just so I could help.

This ain't Majesty 2. :spider:

I could do some lovely lil'voice acting for the Goodies, or even the enemy keepers. I don't see a need to go for the mentor part though. :spider:

A New Room
November 20th, 2009, 11:54
By the way if anyone wants me to say something random just tell me, I need the practice.

If you all want, I could upload a clip of my annoying voice doing something random. :p Go for it.

I could do some lovely lil'voice acting for the Goodies, or even the enemy keepers. I don't see a need to go for the mentor part though. :spider: Once again I say go for it, "Your CORPSE shall fEEd my minions YET, KEEPER!" :troll:

Blutonium
November 20th, 2009, 13:19
and when you say the word "keeper" it needs to sound like you have nasal problems or a blocked nose - because that's what the mentor sounds like when he says it

kyle
November 20th, 2009, 14:47
Lol, you have great voice come on! There are plenty of things to do there ye know, for example, I'd assign u to voice the "good" guys like kings and princes, maybe horny himself, maybe anyone else, who knows! We have two amaizing voices, talent is never lost :D

I haven't made any sound files with my voice in them, here is my voice edited to what i can to make it passable, its still pretty bad though and i don't think you guys would want it on anyone's voices

http://www.supload.com/sound_confirm.php?get=326167378.wav

Madkill
November 20th, 2009, 16:14
Half the time it sounds more like "Keepah" than "Keeper"

Or at least, it does when its an enemy Keeper saying it.

A New Room
November 20th, 2009, 17:37
I haven't made any sound files with my voice in them, here is my voice edited to what i can to make it passable, its still pretty bad though and i don't think you guys would want it on anyone's voices

http://www.supload.com/sound_confirm.php?get=326167378.wav In my opinion there is nothing really wrong with your voice. If anything you just need to take more time on the pronunciation of certain words.

You do sound a bit out of breath though, I think you should try a couple of takes in your normal accent.

ShoC
November 20th, 2009, 17:45
Hi I' have NEVER done anything like this before :P

But I'll post a sample of my voice in a moment.

I think*** if I know what configuration or plugin to use on Audacity I could pull of a decent voice
I'll upload an unsample version of my voice then a pitch reduction

Just if (A New room) will part with the settings his used :)

A New Room
November 20th, 2009, 18:04
Hi I' have NEVER done anything like this before :P

But I'll post a sample of my voice in a moment.

I think*** if I know what configuration or plugin to use on Audacity I could pull of a decent voice
I'll upload an unsample version of my voice then a pitch reduction

Just if (A New room) will part with the settings his used :)
I mostly just increase the bass by about 200, then just decrease the pitch settings.

I await your post with interest...

ShoC
November 20th, 2009, 18:11
I mostly just increase the bass by about 200, then just decrease the pitch settings.

I await your post with interest...

Dont get to interested, Wont be anywhere close or as good as yours :)

kyle
November 20th, 2009, 18:12
In my opinion there is nothing really wrong with your voice. If anything you just need to take more time on the pronunciation of certain words.

You do sound a bit out of breath though, I think you should try a couple of takes in your normal accent.

Yea i am Scottish so it'll take a few shots for me to get rid of my accent outta the way, and i guess having the flu doesn't help either :P

You really think my voice could fit in somewhere?

A New Room
November 20th, 2009, 18:16
Yea i am Scottish so it'll take a few shots for me to get rid of my accent outta the way, and i guess having the flu doesn't help either :P

You really think my voice could fit in somewhere? I personally don't really mind the idea of a Scottish sounding hero.

Dont get to interested, Wont be anywhere close or as good as yours :) We shall see... -.-

dotted
November 20th, 2009, 18:34
I personally don't really mind the idea of a Scottish sounding hero.
Obvious dwarf is obvious :p, or is that irish accent?

ShoC
November 20th, 2009, 18:39
I personally don't really mind the idea of a Scottish sounding hero.

We shall see... -.-

To be honest A new room, My voice is to english for this, I'll leave it with you
I might have a go at trying a hero,
any one have anything they want said?

EDIT: It wont allow me to upload it :(

sorry had to use some other crap

http://www.filefactory.com/file/a1c69c4/n/Eversmile.mp3

I get closed eachtime it's just I know NOTHING of audio software :P but i'll leave that voice to you :)

A New Room
November 20th, 2009, 19:00
To be honest A new room, My voice is to english for this, I'll leave it with you

Can't really remember the hero dialog.

"Away with you foul Fiend, I bid thee to leave this land in peace." Is about all my imagination has on that...

kyle
November 20th, 2009, 19:04
I think its "I will cast you to the pits you whence came keeper"
The one i used is "We shall not tolerate your evil presence any longer"

kyle
November 20th, 2009, 19:05
Obvious dwarf is obvious :p, or is that irish accent?

Oh i would love to voice a dwarf :L

A New Room
November 20th, 2009, 19:26

EDIT: It wont allow me to upload it :(

sorry had to use some other crap

http://www.filefactory.com/file/a1c69c4/n/Eversmile.mp3

I get closed eachtime it's just I know NOTHING of audio software :P but i'll leave that voice to you :)

That was pretty well done, I have been having trouble with those quotes all week! I think they may be actually the hardest bit of voice work that needs to be done for WFTO.

Here (http://www.supload.com/listen?s=RS4GY1) was my last attempt...

By the way what equipment are you using?

ShoC
November 20th, 2009, 19:27
well I think you might be far better than I am, but if you want me to say some out your welcome to adjust it in Audacity

haha I love your attempt, I tended to do that alot at the end :)
I might listen to it first then try last time I copied it from text just found the spoken version

A New Room
November 20th, 2009, 19:50
well I think you might be far better than I am, but if you want me to say some out your welcome to adjust it in Audacity Try some hero quotes that Kyle wrote.

I got to go to dinner so I'll be back on, in about an hour to check it out.

ShoC
November 20th, 2009, 19:53
Try some hero quotes that Kyle wrote.

I got to go to dinner so I'll be back on, in about an hour to check it out.

I tried, not sure exactly how to voice it, they seem to have higher sounding voices and I strugle to not have such a deep voice

dotted
November 20th, 2009, 20:01
LOL just upload the sound files as attachments on the forum instead of using crappy upload services :p

A New Room
November 21st, 2009, 02:28
Okay so I'm just the slightest bit confused... Does WFTO need any of the map speeches rerecorded from Dk1, or is it going to have fresh new map dialog?

I ask this because I have spent most of this week trying to remember the words and study some of the mannerisms of Ridings voice. :/

(Its just I came to these forums from the MODdb NBKE page so I think that may have set me thinking in the wrong direction.)

dotted
November 21st, 2009, 08:43
Fresh

Blutonium
November 21st, 2009, 19:40
NEW!

Map makers will build new maps

New Story

New Map Screen (i'm planning on doing a new island or whatever, and this time in ZBrush! :) )

A New room - You rock man! :demon:

A New Room
November 21st, 2009, 20:13
Oh sweet!

Also, I have managed to extract the Speech.DAT file, so I can actually listen to them while recording as opposed to trying to doing it all from memory.

I'll try and get a demo together by Wednesday of a few of the Dungeon Alerts. If you want I'll put up non altered takes. :)

Okay a very quick attempt at a Dk2 quote:

ShoC
November 21st, 2009, 21:23
:p

Probably the best I can do

kyle
November 21st, 2009, 21:55
Hey guys, can you decipher what he is saying in this?

A New Room
November 21st, 2009, 22:11
Hey guys, can you decipher what he is saying in this?

"You are Victorious, your darkness pervades throughout the kingdom. All Hail the new lord of shadows!"

If you are wondering "pervades" means to spread.

Monsterbaby
November 21st, 2009, 22:32
When I am playing DK2, after a while, I kind of lose it. I don't really pay attention to what he says. I think what he says, when I actually listen is actually very amusing - however his voice, well you can get kind of used to it I'd say.
So why not make the style of funny comments as DK2 and the voice more like DK1?
The DK2 voice is really relaxed and I don't know... soft? wavy?
While the DK1 is more harsh, but not that amusing.

A cocktail of these could be nice - if you guys know what I'm saying.

I'm not going to make input myself though, because I would probably get closest sounding like Demon Spawns mixed with a mistress.

A New Room
November 21st, 2009, 22:42
As far as I know that is the plan.

My opinion is that the random quotes should only appear when the player is doing very well. IE the player has not had any alerts for a while. That way I think the quotes feel more special.

Mentor - "Oh my god... It's full of pies!"

dotted
November 21st, 2009, 22:44
Mentor - "Oh my god... It's full of pies!"
Dont post possible mentor quotes as text when you can say them! :p

A New Room
November 21st, 2009, 22:50
I really want to but my bro is playing Dragon Age: Origins (a Lot of talking) and I don't want to tell him to stop because he has just got back from University, where he has had no games for a whole month.

kyle
November 22nd, 2009, 00:17
Hey guys, just spent a bit of time doing this article on the mentor quotes, you can use it for reference, it has the lord of the land and enemy keeper's quotes too. Also at the bottom you can download a rar containing all the speech files labeled properlly so you know what ones say what.

Have a look and tell me what you think.

http://www.dungeonkeeperwiki.co.cc/index.php?title=Speech_Quotes

A New Room
November 22nd, 2009, 01:09
Nicely done, though can I ask are the quotes in .mp3 format or are they in still in .wav? Its just that I want to load most of the extracted clips onto my Mp3 Player (which doesn't play .wavs for some reason).

It is taking a very long time to convert them and I have had to redo a lot of them because of them jumping due to being 2-3 secs long.

kyle
November 22nd, 2009, 01:21
Ill, convert them for you :) a then ill re-upload them.

kyle
November 22nd, 2009, 01:32
Ok, i have converted all the files to .mp3, packed them into a rar andi have updated the wiki with the dowload , so just head overto the same page to get them.

http://www.dungeonkeeperwiki.co.cc/index.php?title=Speech_Quotes#Download_all_the_spe ech_files

A New Room
November 22nd, 2009, 01:58
Thank you, I will begin downloading immediately. Thank you once again :D

kyle
November 22nd, 2009, 01:59
No problem, if you need anyting else to be done, just ask. I need more content on my wiki, its a tad empty right now.

kyle
November 22nd, 2009, 12:35
Ok, the rar containing all the quotes has now been updated, it now contains all the quotes from the world map selection part of the game in .mp3 format, labeled correcty You can download it from the same page on the wiki, its the DKI - Speech one. I have added the section for the quotes on the wiki, but i have not wrote them yet. Will do that soon.

kyle
November 22nd, 2009, 15:58
A new Room, how fast did the file download for you

A New Room
November 22nd, 2009, 16:16
Yes definitely 5 min. (sorry)

Why you ask?

kyle
November 22nd, 2009, 16:34
Yes definitely 5.

5 what, seconds minutes?

A New Room
November 22nd, 2009, 16:43
minutes

that one

Monsterbaby
November 22nd, 2009, 16:55
Ok, i have converted all the files to .mp3, packed them into a rar andi have updated the wiki with the dowload , so just head overto the same page to get them.

http://www.dungeonkeeperwiki.co.cc/index.php?title=Speech_Quotes#Download_all_the_spe ech_files

This is truely awesome :D

I like "knife" - This really is somewhere you can take the kids for a weekend

actually, I like most of them :D

kyle
November 22nd, 2009, 17:25
Ah good time then. id like to thank a new room, (i presume it was him) for helping me on the wiki.I was the only one who edited it and its hard on your own. :)

A New Room
November 22nd, 2009, 17:41
Your welcome, though I only got that far in my research of the map quote. I may pick it back up again but I have a lot of work to do in the next few weeks, so we will see.

reybag
November 22nd, 2009, 19:39
im reading about a lot of people are gonna be assing to certain character voice,but i have a question.isnt in dk the only one who can talk the mentor?
the creatures or heroes just make some sounds,but they dont talk

A New Room
November 22nd, 2009, 21:59
Nope, the mentor certainly has the most dialog. But there are three other speaking roles in DK1 as I remember it (my mind goes very foggy on DK2). As far as I know they were all voiced by Richard Ridings.

The Lord of the Land has some at the end of all hero related levels, and then there is the enemy keeper. Who has the high voice of death!

kyle
November 22nd, 2009, 21:59
emm, you do know we are not remaking the first one right?
We are making the sequel.

A New Room
November 22nd, 2009, 22:02
To be fare I didn't know that until recently :P

Hapuga
November 22nd, 2009, 22:19
Good morning, then =)

kyle
November 22nd, 2009, 22:21
Oh, that wasn't directed at you new room, its at the other guy. Who thinks we are copying the first game.

A New Room
November 22nd, 2009, 22:46
I have to ask is NBKE (http://forum.keeperklan.com/discussion-f26.html) still on or are most of the efforts being directed toward WFTO?

reybag
November 22nd, 2009, 23:30
i know this is a new game,but i thought you wanna be loyal to the dk universe where the only sounds allow to the miserable heroes are his screams at the torture chamber

and of course theres the philosofical idea that the keepers only hear the voice of the beings who they consider important,as they dont care for most of creatures and heores they just hear them roar

of course if you wanna destroy the estethic of the dk universe,you are allow to do it ;)

kyle
November 22nd, 2009, 23:36
I have to ask is NBKE (http://forum.keeperklan.com/discussion-f26.html) still on or are most of the efforts being directed toward WFTO?

nah, nbke is still being made. WFTO is actually based on nbke engine (currently) and nbke is a seperate project

kyle
November 22nd, 2009, 23:38
i know this is a new game,but i thought you wanna be loyal to the dk universe where the only sounds allow to the miserable heroes are his screams at the torture chamber

and of course theres the philosofical idea that the keepers only hear the voice of the beings who they consider important,as they dont care for most of creatures and heores they just hear them roar

of course if you wanna destroy the estethic of the dk universe,you are allow to do it ;)

we are keeping to dungeon keeper universe, having no change and trying to basicly impersonate the game would render the idea of a sequel kinda useless...

A New Room
November 23rd, 2009, 00:29
i know this is a new game,but i thought you wanna be loyal to the dk universe where the only sounds allow to the miserable heroes are his screams at the torture chamber Would it not be better to have some variety in the screams. (and I know there was variety in the original)
and of course theres the philosofical idea that the keepers only hear the voice of the beings who they consider important, as they dont care for most of creatures and heores they just hear them roar Interesting philosophy, but this is definitely the first I have heard of it. But one could argue that the character, thoughts and back story of the the main Keeper is never gone into, because YOU are the Keeper...
Of course if you wanna destroy the aesthetic of the dk universe,you are allow to do it ;) I would say that the best place at the moment for a dungeon Keeper sequel is in these guys hands. I have heard a few internet peoples ideas for Dk sequel (most of them involving it being an MMO, which just REALLY takes it in the wrong direction).

The voices are also very different in DK.

Mentor: low very helpful.

Hero: Very stereotypical hero voice.

Enemy Keeper: High pitched annoyance. Makes you really want to shove victory in his face!

So why not have different voice actors for it?

reybag
November 23rd, 2009, 13:51
sorry if you get wrong idead,very posible like i have bad english you dont get well what i wanted to say.its not that i dont want different voice actors,what i dont want is that basic creatures and heroes talk

of course that every heroe and creature could have their own sounds ,like roars,laughts,sad sound,etc (i dont think a troll should have the exact roar a dragon has) i just dont think they should talk
excep for others keepers and and maeby the leader of the heroes (who i dont know who will be in this game)
i consider that only keepers and leader of heroes should talk because like i said before they will be only ones that you (the keeper) will care about

pd:mentor of course have a voice :D

dotted
November 23rd, 2009, 14:51
Well it never hurts to have more voices than you need. And since we are far off from implementing any voice, it is hard to tell what voice we need or dont need/cant use.

Metal Gear Rex
November 24th, 2009, 08:51
Well we can't use mine, lolz.

Or maybe we can, I'm used to being aggessive and cold with my voice... I really hate most of my family... well all of it if I don't include the cats. Lolz, I find the thought of me voicing everything funny... though I'm afraid I really don't want to throw my voice out here. Afterall, I want the game to be good. :D

dotted
November 26th, 2009, 01:58
Throat so raw... 73

and here are some takes without the bass and pitch modification 72

you sir are a winner

dk2player
November 26th, 2009, 03:15
nice sound. really feals evil. I like it. USE IT!!!!

Reaper
November 26th, 2009, 11:13
Nice work! If you have any compressor function, try add it to get a even more "punch" in the words. :)

danvzare
November 26th, 2009, 14:59
It sounds like a nice cross between DK1 mentor voice and DK2 mentor voice leaning just a little bit towards DK1.
But other then that I think we've got the mentor voice for DK3 ;)

Hapuga
November 26th, 2009, 16:37
you sir are a winner

Seconded. F*****g epic man. Epic.

WickedJohnny
November 27th, 2009, 04:37
A New Room, you're the man.

Madkill
November 27th, 2009, 21:51
Throat so raw... 73

and here are some takes without the bass and pitch modification just in case anyone wants to just poke and prod 'em to see what happens 72.

Its to... I'm not sure.

Close but no cigar, basically.

Its the enunciation that doesn't seem right.

Blutonium
November 27th, 2009, 22:08
To be honest I liked the old ones more too.....don't know what happened :D

let your throat relax a bit, heh - we got loads of time.

i'd suggest you take it a bit slower when doing takes - it seems like your first take is usually the best, as in some audio files it seems as if you are going faster and faster to finnish?

rather do like 4 takes - but take time in between to "compose yourself", and do 4 good ones, then doing 20 takes but rushing through them all :o

anyway - I mucked about with your voice - dunno if it's as good as your first ones though :(

A New Room
November 28th, 2009, 00:21
I get where you are coming from I got a bit nervous, and was trying to do it as fast as Ridings. I will do better in future :p

and by the way everyone thanks for the nice comments. I really thought you guys were going to start banning me for lack of quality.

Madkill
November 28th, 2009, 03:51
Well... there's always time for you to make a slip up. :spider:

Walkerz
December 2nd, 2009, 20:01
anyway - I mucked about with your voice - dunno if it's as good as your first ones though :(

Sounds like the Protoss from starcraft. ;)

A New Room
December 2nd, 2009, 21:29
Curses!

You guys wouldn't know of any good programs for importing video camera footage to audio?

Damn microphone has given up the ghost D:

nebster
December 2nd, 2009, 21:46
Curses!

You guys wouldn't know of any good programs for importing video camera footage to audio?

Never done it recently but a quick search gave me:
http://www.aoamedia.com/audioextractor.htm

There's the free version on the right. Try it in Sandboxie to make sure it has no viruses, spyware, etc

dotted
December 2nd, 2009, 21:48
Curses!

VirtualDub?

A New Room
December 2nd, 2009, 22:01
Awesome thank you!

Blutonium
December 4th, 2009, 13:29
Sounds like the Protoss from starcraft. ;)

maybe I should just stick to the modeling then :D

nebster
December 4th, 2009, 21:08

It would probably sound quite good for the spells :)

A New Room
December 5th, 2009, 00:49

I think you did better than me with the effects! I still haven't been able to recreate that build up, is it only a feature of Soundforge?

Blutonium
December 6th, 2009, 10:41
I think you did better than me with the effects! I still haven't been able to recreate that build up, is it only a feature of Soundforge?

do this:

reverse the sound
add 2 seconds of silence to end of clip
add echo/reverb to sound

and then....

reverse it again!

what you are hearing is echo/reverb in reverse - so instad of normal echo that fades out, it's echo that fades in, backwards! (before the sound, not after)

:cool:

MeinCookie
December 20th, 2009, 05:32
I'm confused. Was the DK2 mentor voice Horny? Now that i think back all the movies only ever showed him growling, but I'd always assumed they were the same.

tehbassdemon
December 21st, 2009, 13:15
No I don't think the DK2 mentor was meant to be horny cos he says that horny will be a powerful ally (if it was horny than surely he's already your ally)but they do sound similair.

dotted
December 21st, 2009, 15:57
I'm confused. Was the DK2 mentor voice Horny? Now that i think back all the movies only ever showed him growling, but I'd always assumed they were the same.

They could easily be the same voiceactor, mind you DK1 and DK2 is the same actor but they dont sound alike at all.

MeinCookie
December 21st, 2009, 19:32
He also says "if horny becomes too much for you single slap will expel him from your realm," i know:confused:
Shame. Then again, he could still be talking about himself in third person.

To me that was the seductive voice of evil, and horny was for use of a better phrase "a clever beast," abet an immortal, ancient and powerful one. Its just the way the voice set himself up as an ally and talked down to you.

Admittedly, I'm probably wrong but I do love that concept.

A New Room
February 7th, 2010, 16:32
Was rather bored so I made an 203...

Very silly but ah well :p

kyle
February 7th, 2010, 17:27
LOL

dotted
February 7th, 2010, 18:29

Keeper, I'm your father!

Reaper
February 7th, 2010, 18:36
Hahaha, great.

Monsterbaby
February 8th, 2010, 11:14
I just thought about this topic here the other way.

A friend of mine who's been at the Danish Movie School, did a stop motion movie. The narrator voice was someone she had found online, through a place where voice-actors are listed for commercials, projects, etc. etc. She send a guy a script with the entire movie, and he did it.. FREE!!! The stop motion movie was a school project, so no money was involved at any point. And when the guy heard that they didn't have any money, he said he would do it for free..

Since this is a simmular project, just a game and not a stop motion movie. And we don't work on a budget either, it can be possible to get a professional voice actor to do a script for our game. Afterall it is not hours of work for the actor, and if he gets his name on the credits I'm pretty sure he's happy.

But yea, a suggestion. It is always possible to contact voice actors, and see if they wish to do it free - by telling them a bit about our situation here.

Tho I'm pretty sure a lot of you guys can come up with creppy evil voices too XD

A New Room
February 8th, 2010, 12:18
I just thought about this topic here the other way.

A friend of mine who's been at the Danish Movie School, did a stop motion movie. The narrator voice was someone she had found online, through a place where voice-actors are listed for commercials, projects, etc. etc. She send a guy a script with the entire movie, and he did it.. FREE!!! The stop motion movie was a school project, so no money was involved at any point. And when the guy heard that they didn't have any money, he said he would do it for free..

Since this is a simmular project, just a game and not a stop motion movie. And we don't work on a budget either, it can be possible to get a professional voice actor to do a script for our game. Afterall it is not hours of work for the actor, and if he gets his name on the credits I'm pretty sure he's happy.

But yea, a suggestion. It is always possible to contact voice actors, and see if they wish to do it free - by telling them a bit about our situation here.

Tho I'm pretty sure a lot of you guys can come up with creppy evil voices too XD

Sounds like a good plan :)
Though I think it would be a good idea to have a complete plot and a script for all bits of in-game speech before contacting any voice actors.

It would really be cool if you could get Ridings to do it.

atari7
February 8th, 2010, 15:23
w/e you choose to do. im not worry as a new room will do fine as well i think. :)

Jango
February 9th, 2010, 16:55
i know this is late but A New Room is now my hero.

Dizzi
December 23rd, 2010, 02:06
I was roaming around the forums and found this thread.

How did you guys manage with the voice? Do you guys need assistance or did you find out how to make it in the end?
FYI you need to avoid talking deep and then pitch shift the voice. You'll need to do a little bit of EQing and amplify high freqs if it sounds to dull. But, it's better if your a natural and can speak from the chest.

If anyone lives in London that want's their voice recorded high quality crisp clear, we could arrange something. My friend and I have recording equipment that acceptable for recording in movies. My friend studying to be a director and is doing lots of sound work. :) So by his standards, IT'S GOOD QUALITY!

Listening to that DK2 Mentor clip that you guys linked. It sounds like a simple -4 semitone shift. I can also hear the very very tight reverb for that extra filling :D

You could actually play some monster sounds simultaneously and side chain it with the voice. It'll add that demon texture you might be wanting.

dotted
December 23rd, 2010, 21:22
I must admit im am baffled at the ability of the WFTO project to draw in professional and talented people.

kyle
December 23rd, 2010, 21:44
ARE YOU IMPLYING WE SHOULDN'T BE ABLE TO.

dotted
December 23rd, 2010, 21:49
ARE YOU IMPLYING WE SHOULDN'T BE ABLE TO.

HMM YES INDEED SIR

kyle
December 23rd, 2010, 21:50
How not?

dotted
December 23rd, 2010, 21:52
How not?
joke man

kyle
December 23rd, 2010, 23:36
IT BETTER BE. Anywho, I look forward to more of ANR's stuff, speaking of that, when can I expect to work with you a little and come up with some mentor clips ANR?

MaxHayman
December 24th, 2010, 00:18
Amazing work, i love the phone call!

Blutonium
December 26th, 2010, 11:39

Whahahah! how the hell did I miss this gem? :D

Awesome work!

djtoxic
April 24th, 2011, 05:14
Hi, first of all, I'm new to the forums.
I'm sorry I'm bumping and old thread, but I registered just to say this:

What do you think about asking TotalBuiscuit to be the voice actor for, at least, one or more heroes?. I know he's a fan/likes the series because of a comment from him I found some time ago in some blog article regarding either the DK MMO or Dungeons release, and from his review of Dungeon Overlord (
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knT38fqIs8M). He seems to be a really cool guy, he's certainly a devoted gamer, and, after there is an important beta release or final, I'm pretty sure he would be glad to help promote the project by doing a "WTF is" video about it or something like that.

Just... look at that voice!. English accent plus his own particular way to "get into the character" = Pure win for a sterotypical hero voice actor.

Lquiz
April 24th, 2011, 12:50
Hi, first of all, I'm new to the forums.
I'm sorry I'm bumping and old thread, but I registered just to say this:

What do you think about asking TotalBuiscuit to be the voice actor for, at least, one or more heroes?. I know he's a fan/likes the series because of a comment from him I found some time ago in some blog article regarding either the DK MMO or Dungeons release, and from his review of Dungeon Overlord (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knT38fqIs8M). He seems to be a really cool guy, he's certainly a devoted gamer, and, after there is an important beta release or final, I'm pretty sure he would be glad to help promote the project by doing a "WTF is" video about it or something like that.

Just... look at that voice!. English accent plus his own particular way to "get into the character" = Pure win for a sterotypical hero voice actor.

Amazing voice! Totally agree!

Neonwings
April 24th, 2011, 14:40
I don't know if I could voice anything here, as my accent is weird and English, yet unique sounding and posh.

james.heinichen
May 20th, 2011, 19:33
I contacted TotalBiscuit to ask if he would be interested in some minor voice work for the game.

kyle
May 20th, 2011, 20:19
Damn he would be fucking awesome, his voice is godlike. Great thinking james you tell me if he accepts.