PDA

View Full Version : The Final Chapter?

Duke Ragereaver
April 8th, 2012, 21:25
Be the change you want to see in the world.

I have slept poorly last few days because of the RPG’s state for a while. And I have this urge to get something off my chest. Take it for what it is, but please allow me to tell a little story from someone who has been for KK for some time. The only thing I ask you is to read carefully. Sitting down comfortable? Have some fine, yet fitting dramatic music on the background? Good then let us begin..

Let me be accordingly judged for my actions, the good and the bad. The rest, is silence…

Back in the early days of Keeper Klan there was this RPG, this was not The Awakening. It was such marvelous fun! Unfortunately it was purposely deleted by one of the Game Masters after some major intense disputes. Although it was gone, the energy and creativity in the RPG that was shown was not so easily forgotten by the members left at that time, including me. Many were still hoping to see a return of it, but alas nothing came from it. Time passed with no new RPG, it was forgotten eventually when most elder members were gone or went inactive.

One year later, when I made my return on Keeper Klan I came with the vision to start a RPG based largely on the ideals of the old one. It was a grand success, the creativity and energy that people were putting in their posts were truly without equal, and don’t get me started with the passion! And together with the RP’er feedback it was made sure that this RPG was more refined than the old one. And it inspired me to make the RPG bigger, The Awakening was born. It was that critical moment that I perhaps, right now in the end, regret to do. For it made the RPG story wise far too large as time passed largely with little actual plot progress. I was unsure what do it, move it back to a smaller simpler state, or continue in the current state and see where it ends? The idea of making DK1/2 campaigns based on this was also considered, but passed due the limitations the editors possess. So in the end we marched onwards, with uncertainty at the back of our heads.

As expected, as time passed both the morale and motivations went noticeable down. And we lost good people too for these or other reasons. All which which can, rightfully, called my fault for the inaction.

There was a time I considered the RPG to end it, to let it retain some of it’s dignity and former glory. But since this would be the worst possible ending that could happen and thus in no ones best interest it was dismissed…. At the time…

Power wears out those that do not have it.

This did not take away that the morale and motivation reached a low point of the RP’ers, as did mine. I lost the heart and motivation to be the public face of the RPG, so with support from the RP’ers Metal Gear Rex was chosen. I will be very honest here, this was absolutely not my own preference. But I went along with it, with myself being more at the background at this point, perhaps it would not be that bad and we will be able to co-operate. Still, as creator of the RPG I maintained the right of the final say and was not planning to relinquish that soon, I was expecting at the time. I don’t think it’s a foreign concept that you only pass the mantle of responsibility only when you feel that things are going to be well, right? Yes, I repeat I DID NOT HAND OUT COMPLETE CONTROL, Metal Gear Rex was appointed a fellow GM like Who-Horny and DragonsLover once were. I do not understand where this strange motion comes from that I completely stand down. Is the 3rd time supposed to be the charm, or something?

The last few days, however, my fears have come true. Everything starts to be micromanaged. Changes that were unheard off in the beginning start to appear widespread and in extremely close succession.This was in stark contrasts to my former and well respected collegeas, and friends Who-Horny and DragonsLover who both I always had good conversations and discussions regarding the RPG, always keeping each other in touch. Ahh, good times, but no time to dwell on that. Changes are necessary as time passes, I admit, certainly to speed up things and catch up lost time but are some of these changes really for the better? This can be disputed but to my feeling the RPG is changing to something unrecognizable, an abomination if I even be so bold. What was so wrong with the way it was before? Not everything the RPG offers has been explored yet to begin with.

The final straw for me came when the storyline abruptly starts to be changed without there was even a consultation with me. Although I feel worse for the people involved that indirectly received a slap in the face. Crystalbarrow as a prime example where years of effort and time has been put into just receives an abrupt ending and is flushed down the toilet. The storyline, the very thing that made The Awakening RPG? That does it. I confronted and had a conversation with Metal Gear Rex about this and what I received can be summed up as : ‘I know it better than you’, pointing out various ‘reasons’ based on own figured assumptions followed by subsequent less than diplomatic responses which repeat the former cited pattern, right. I was about to loose my temper at that point and let allowed myself to shamefully sink to the same level by responding in kind and not just in private, quite frankly. It was clear that our styles of management was not going to be easily resolved. Though at the same time, it was never bothered from the other side to reach out, instead choosing to shove the responsibility off and act independently disregarding everything the traditional RPG stood for.

Remember the inaction I talked out earlier about? This had to end really before it went too far and out of hand. So I had given an ultimatetum to Metal Gear Rex to either basically moderate his own management style or continue the way it is on his own way. If the latter was chosen The Awakening RPG would end immediately, meaning that any NPC-characters, progress that was made with realms and the story itself would accumulate to void. This is indeed harsh, yes, and I realize it’s just as bad as some other alternatives and I deeply regret to make it such a choice. Note that this does not end the RPG actually, just everything related to the RPG plot.

Though the response was not unentirely unexpected, I was very much surprised to read that Metal Gear Rex apparantly rejected me as GM of the RPG and expressed his desire and will to control the RPG entirely by himself, saying I have no lawful rights anymore. My initial reactions were some of surprise and confusion, which turned to fear, fear to the RPG state. Something snapped in me, for I saw a very familair parallel between this moment and one in the old RPG’s twilight moment. The reason the old RPG ended was for because of control disputes that went ugly. I have withnessed before aswel on other forums. For this reason, I’m dismissing Metal Gear Rex as Game Master. Desirable? No, not at all. Drastic? You can say that. Necessary? Absolutely. Despite what is suggested, the ultimate blame and true responsbility lie not with Metal Gear Rex, but with me as creator of the RPG which I have tried to carry faithfully on for years.

Though I dearly wish he does the same thing to take at least some responsbility, I highly suspect I will just get it deflected back followed by 2-3 (minimum) allineas it can’t possibly be that way, that it’s heresy, blasphemy. If people are more concerned about not receiving the ‘blame’ for the slightest of commentary and simply childishly retort to the ‘know-it-all’ approach over and over again, that’s fine by me. But do realize that one has pretty much disqualified him/herself as whatever credible person to conversate with that big a misguided ego, especially if one possesses function of authority and example. Probably the saddest part is when people are completely obvious to this.. But I suppose it would be wrong to blame that? So be it then but I digress, I do not wish to speak again of this particular issue. It has been done, just one last piece of advice; GROW UP.

The end times

Although it was never my intention to involve the way I did before into the RPG affairs, the circumstances forced me to do so. I feel compelled to stand and defend to what has been builded up over the years. People may doubt me as a person, but do never doubt my intentions who were always in the best interests of all.

I’m sorry to have it this way. If there was another way… but there wassen’t.

It was not an easy decision for me to make, but it had to be done in order to have the RPG preserve some dignity because the current course is one of disaster, I was feeling and was going totally out of touch with Dungeon Keeper itself with some of these changes. And who says it was going to end here? No, it had to stop. The valuable contributions by you, the role-players, that were made must never be forgotten, however. And I’m honored to have served you all, though I may have falied in the end.

With this off my chest now. I want to ask you, the role-players, what do you wish now to happen? Everything that happened at this point has been done for you, and noone else. From the beginning to the end I withnessed the very same audience of Dungeon Keeper fans. Perhaps we do need to start over, in a clean, smaller, new state to get this all behind us. If it’s the time to decide, it is now.

Regardless of all, I would like to express my deepest thank everyone for participating in the RPG! And I do mean EVERYONE!

Perhaps I will make a Dungeon Keeper 1 / 2 campaign after all on the War of Heavenarius based in my own image while the RPG continues in the current or in a smaller state. Or something else suitable, depending on what you choose. But with the RPG experiences that are now tainted for me due the recent events, I have little desire to stay. Irony perhaps, but at the least I have tried to do my duty to what I believe is right, if that offers some comfort. As mentioned before, I’m an advocate of the traditional RPG it always have been before, a fossil maybe. But change is necessary, so I hope someone bright, acceptable to all, but especially one that remains true to the traditional Dungeon Keeper spitit and ideals, stands up and lead the RPG to a better middle path between the two extremes that have collided.

As mentioned before, I’m not looking to be the RPG everyday life leader again. Nor even in the background after this debacle. I can imagine few people would be willing to support me after these relevations, and they are right. If there are any worthy person(s) around who think they can lead the RPG, please bring it up. If everything is back on track and normal I will gladly resign permanently and pass the RPG to these people. And promise not to interfere in RPG affairs again regarding leadership or in such significance.

That was all, just my 2 cents here. Make of it as you wish, this message was written by a boy, at the time, with a traditional vision regarding Dungeon Keeper who speaks from his heart at this very moment. All what he just wanted is a way where people could express themselves the way they wanted with each other with Dungeon Keeper. Did he succeed? Or should he not have bothered at all, because he’s misunderstood and the whole thing is turning out to be one big joke? Well I leave that up to you. But as long there was fun and joy present in the passionate posts that were made and seeing the cheerful auddience there is still left… I think I know the answer….

Let the sky rain fire, let the oceans boil.

Thank you for listening. I think I need some fresh air right now.

Over and out,
Duke Ragereaver

MeinCookie
April 8th, 2012, 22:41
Nice to hear your take, Duke. I have remained silent. I never really expressed my opinion on this subject. I have always had somewhat divided loyalties. Allow me to express my thoughts now.

I present you with a number of facts:

Gameplay needs to be more adaptive, changes need to occur - not all may be necessary, many are enjoyable and others which I am ambivalent about I cannot begrudge others if it is their desire. Gameplay changes have happened and they have fostered activity. I see new possibilities. Sure I may be excited by the introduction of Horned Reapers, but if they stay balanced, are tweaked or, if that fails, phased out and killed off appropriately... as long as they do not negatively impact my experience I will live and let live. I highly doubt they would be issued to inexperienced RPers anyway. I wouldn't want one. Far too much trouble.

Plot is important - but so little was exposed over the course of the RP, however, that somebody could call a switcheroo on me and I would never notice if it was properly done. Plot is important, but it is part of a twofold importance alongside gameplay and audience. This does not mean it is unimportant and should be contradicted once exposed, but it for the most part hasn't appeared yet. When writing TV series it isn't uncommon to see the plot veer off due to constraints, all manner of production troubles or new writers or.... but it still has a plot, just a different one.... it doesn't contradict the original (one would hope)... but it doesn't continue the original projected course at the start either. I don't care if the plot is the original plot, as long as their is one, as long as it fits with what has been publicly established of the original plot. Things need to be visionary and far-sighted and flexible.

I don't want to see the RP grow into the mass of retcons on retcons that compose the Star Wars and Marvel/DC comic verses. No. But plot has to adapt. If it has not been publicly announced it is not set in stone. If it has not appeared within the RP threads then it is not set in stone. This is the law of expansive fiction everywhere. You started an extremely large project, you should know this rule.

How is it that story made the heart of the Awakening RP when we rarely, if at all, got around to it? There was the hint of a story, at best. Truly, it was the creatures that made the Heart... within their setting. Don't get me wrong that the setting is important, but imagine you are exploring a dungeon and you have based through a dozen rooms. You know what is in them. You have cleared them. The rest is shrouded in mystery, in fog. What you don't know is that everything you can't see is changing, always changing. The start is solid, the destination reasonably so. The route, however, will always be in flux. This too is part of the allure of the RPG. You have no idea how things will play out, when things you can't see aren't set in stone. You exploring a dungeon for the first time. Nobody truely knows what you will find or how things will unfold. It is a journey into the unknown propelled by choices of characters of people within the framework of a more flexible ruleset towards a destination somewhat indefinate which individuals can effect.

I don't know about you but that sounds pretty compelling to me.

If story has always been the heart of the RP... if it has been to stale and detached... then maybe, just maybe the RP has adjusted to this. Old characters have left, but new characters have joined. The people who frequent the RP have changed. And perhaps, they play not for the resolution but for the journey - to be a part of that. The RP set off from port in Rome, travelled along the coast a'whiles... but now it has reached the open horizon. It has left the known world, left the straights of Gibraltar behind. Ahead of it is an open horizon. Beyond the horizon could be anything, any number of anything. There were those who played for resolution at the start, those who wished to travel a mapped course, but in the absence of development - in the breakdown, the lack of continuity, the lack of a plan since the disappearence of WhoHorny they melted away with the lack of any prospects of ever reaching resolution. They saw they would never reach the destination they sought. New people joined attratced by the very same thing that, perhaps, made the old people leave.

Crystalbarrow was ended far to abruptly, I will agree - I was expecting it to be a bit more gradual, more care taken to wrap things up... but it was going to end. It had to. Most of the creatures that ever RPed there have long gone with their owners. It had fallen abandoned, with an almost pitiful number of creatures there. For a very long time we struggled through Drell to bring closure, a great effort was made. It just simply isn't our realm any more. It is a realm filled by endless pages by RPers who have vanished into smoke. There is no continuity and a billion frozen creatures littering the halls. A sadder sight I can't imagine. It was going and had to end in the near future. If I was to chose between Mikaelios and Larquidos, Frozen and Crystal... well, Frozengard has potential, if only it had an active Keeper.

So whilst it mightn't have been nice to pull off the life-support, Crystal was in a coma it was never going to recover from. While I would have prefered a longer, storied ending, the realm is better entombed than lying at the bottom of the sub-forum like a rotting corpse.

I have invested a lot of time in Awakening - and short of having tooth fairies flying around and turning creatures into pigs for no apparent reason I am willing to accept a degree of change to keep it going, to keep it healthy and to preserve some of what is for years to come.

I support MGR's changes, because they are necessary for the RP to advance, to remain healthy and to keep on chooglin' with the current demographic which is arguably the most dedicated and devoted the RP has ever had. Moth, Rex and I are still here, still very active after years of stagnation. Everyone else faded away. Everyone else is gone. The 'old RP' can only survive through this one. Two words of advice; MOVE ON. Preserving things as they were like musuem from when others/more people were playing just damns the entire project to obscurity - to oblivion. Adaption guarentees immortality.

Mothrayas
April 8th, 2012, 22:44
If I may interject on some parts...

Still, as creator of the RPG I maintained the right of the final say and was not planning to relinquish that soon, I was expecting at the time. I don’t think it’s a foreign concept that you only pass the mantle of responsibility only when you feel that things are going to be well, right? Yes, I repeat I DID NOT HAND OUT COMPLETE CONTROL, Metal Gear Rex was appointed a fellow GM like Who-Horny and DragonsLover once were. I do not understand where this strange motion comes from that I completely stand down

Really? As far as anyone knew, you did step down, and passed the Awakening over to Rex entirely. There was nothing stating you to still be active. Here are some snippets from what you told me:

To be perfectly honest, I do not have the heart nor spirit anymore to lead anymore, mainly because of RL life. If the Awakening is passed to someone else, so be it. But before that, I want some clear arragements in place. Like what to do with the current realms, who will lead from now on, etc.

Also, would you mind to explain why you thought things wouldn't go well with Rex? Everybody in the entire active Awakening community of the time agreed for Rex to follow up. Rex was popular, very active besides, so could you please explain to us what your problem was with him? I want to hear some elaboration.

The last few days, however, my fears have come true. Everything starts to be micromanaged.

Could you explain what you mean by "micromanaging", and why it is a bad thing?

Changes that were unheard off in the beginning start to appear widespread and in extremely close succession.This was in stark contrasts to my former and well respected collegeas, and friends Who-Horny and DragonsLover who both I always had good conversations and discussions regarding the RPG, always keeping each other in touch. Ahh, good times, but no time to dwell on that.

Again, why are these changes considered bad in any way? Please explain. As far as is known, nobody of the active community had any problems with the changes. Faircoast did pretty well to rid off the stagnation that was Crystalbarrow, and all other changes were not only done in cooperation with the community, but also very much approved by the same community. What's your problem with all these changes?

Changes are necessary as time passes, I admit, certainly to speed up things and catch up lost time but are some of these changes really for the better? This can be disputed but to my feeling the RPG is changing to something unrecognizable, an abomination if I even be so bold. What was so wrong with the way it was before? Not everything the RPG offers has been explored yet to begin with.

In my opinion (and probably many other RPers too), these changes were for the better. Crystalbarrow was incredibly stagnant. When I heard of the plotline that was still left in Crystalbarrow, it looked like it would drag on for far too long. Crystalbarrow would never get finished. Rebooting from scratch was the better move to make here, and judging from chatbox messages, the community was quite hyped by the new realm, including the twists that came with it.

Instead however, you now call the RPG an "abomination". Are these changes really so bad, in your eyes? Why? I honestly don't understand.

The final straw for me came when the storyline abruptly starts to be changed without there was even a consultation with me. Although I feel worse for the people involved that indirectly received a slap in the face. Crystalbarrow as a prime example where years of effort and time has been put into just receives an abrupt ending and is flushed down the toilet. The storyline, the very thing that made The Awakening RPG? That does it.

Again, the original plotline was way too stretched out to work well, or at all. Who is it that received an indirect "slap in the face", by the way? The only ones I can even think of are you, Who-Horny (who hasn't cared about the RPG anymore for years), and Searingflame for having his keeper position taken (although he also largely left the forum by this point). Even without the change Searingflame would be affected the same way, and Who-Horny, as I said, has been gone for way too long to care. So, you feel worse for... yourself only? Because a part of your plot was taken away in favor of something which was largely backed by the community?

Honestly, who or what do you want the RPG to stand for? For yourself, or for the community? It looks like you're now largely alienating the community, just because you want to reclaim your Awakening.

I confronted and had a conversation with Metal Gear Rex about this and what I received can be summed up as : ‘I know it better than you’, pointing out various ‘reasons’ based on own figured assumptions followed by subsequent less than diplomatic responses which repeat the former cited pattern, right.

This smells like bias. I know Rex very well, and I know quite well, based on that alone, that this simply did not go that way. I also find it very suspicious that you go little further in explanation than just outright demonizing the opponent.

Am I supposed to believe this? Could you show me your conversations you had with Rex?

I was about to loose my temper at that point and let allowed myself to shamefully sink to the same level by responding in kind and not just in private, quite frankly. It was clear that our styles of management was not going to be easily resolved.

You could have just handled that better yourself, whether right there and then, or afterwards. What I saw in the chat was Rex trying to make points, while you stood back, calling what he said lies, self-reflection and slander, in that order. You did not even bother to answer to him. That made me lose much of my respect from you, Duke. Even more since you haven't seemed to have improved from that.

Though at the same time, it was never bothered from the other side to reach out, instead choosing to shove the responsibility off and act independently disregarding everything the traditional RPG stood for.

What responsibility did Rex shove off? And what is this "everything" the traditional RPG stood for?

Remember the inaction I talked out earlier about? This had to end really before it went too far and out of hand. So I had given an ultimatetum to Metal Gear Rex to either basically moderate his own management style or continue the way it is on his own way. If the latter was chosen The Awakening RPG would end immediately, meaning that any NPC-characters, progress that was made with realms and the story itself would accumulate to void. This is indeed harsh, yes, and I realize it’s just as bad as some other alternatives and I deeply regret to make it such a choice. Note that this does not end the RPG actually, just everything related to the RPG plot.

What are the things that needed to be "moderated" in particular in his management, if I may ask? In addition, to me, just a part of the RPG community, the second option would seem like a really bad thing. You're saying it wouldn't end the RPG, but it would boot it almost all the way back to the beginning. If it couldn't get itself out of that hole it got into, then whatever RPG would be quite screwed.

Though the response was not unentirely unexpected, I was very much surprised to read that Metal Gear Rex apparantly rejected me as GM of the RPG and expressed his desire and will to control the RPG entirely by himself, saying I have no lawful rights anymore. My initial reactions were some of surprise and confusion, which turned to fear, fear to the RPG state. Something snapped in me, for I saw a very familair parallel between this moment and one in the old RPG’s twilight moment. The reason the old RPG ended was for because of control disputes that went ugly. I have withnessed before aswel on other forums. For this reason, I’m dismissing Metal Gear Rex as Game Master. Desirable? No, not at all. Drastic? You can say that. Necessary? Absolutely. Despite what is suggested, the ultimate blame and true responsbility lie not with Metal Gear Rex, but with me as creator of the RPG which I have tried to carry faithfully on for years.

Here's a question. You see that the co-lead between you and Rex is not working. The obvious option is, between the two of you, to kick one out, that much is obvious. However, I think both of you know which one of you is more active, and thus better capable to, y'know, lead the whole thing. Why do you think you must be the leader, between the two of you, and not Rex? The reason Rex became GM/co-GM was because you said you couldn't handle it anymore. So, now you suddenly can?

I stated to you that the RPG needs an active leader. Will you be an active leader, or will the RPG fall into digress until we find another one again, starting the cycle anew?

Please state the vision you have for this. This is not about you, Rex, or what either of you want. This is about the Awakening as a whole.

Though I dearly wish he does the same thing to take at least some responsbility,

Where has Rex being thoroughly irresponsible? I'd agree if the Awakening was in total ruin through his direct action, but it was in fact thriving, until you reappeared.

I highly suspect I will just get it deflected back followed by 2-3 (minimum) allineas it can’t possibly be that way, that it’s heresy, blasphemy. If people are more concerned about not receiving the ‘blame’ for the slightest of commentary and simply childishly retort to the ‘know-it-all’ approach over and over again, that’s fine by me.

You see, this is the kind of demonisation that I personally happen to thoroughly detest, as it essentially gives the other party no chance of rebuttal because you'd dismiss whatever he said, anyway. And that is really childish to do. You should know, and do better than that.

But do realize that one has pretty much disqualified him/herself as whatever credible person to conversate with that big a misguided ego, especially if one possesses function of authority and example. Probably the saddest part is when people are completely obvious to this..

This happens to reflect really well. What was it that you told Rex about self-reflection again? Shiny, shiny mirror...

But I suppose it would be wrong to blame that? So be it then but I digress, I do not wish to speak again of this particular issue. It has been done, just one last piece of advice; GROW UP.

And an immature insult to end it. Way to go.

The end times

Although it was never my intention to involve the way I did before into the RPG affairs, the circumstances forced me to do so. I feel compelled to stand and defend to what has been builded up over the years. People may doubt me as a person, but do never doubt my intentions who were always in the best interests of all.

Really? The RPG was thriving since months, until today.

I’m sorry to have it this way. If there was another way… but there wassen’t.

It was not an easy decision for me to make, but it had to be done in order to have the RPG preserve some dignity because the current course is one of disaster, I was feeling and was going totally out of touch with Dungeon Keeper itself with some of these changes.

Out of touch with Dungeon Keeper? Where?

And who says it was going to end here? No, it had to stop. The valuable contributions by you, the role-players, that were made must never be forgotten, however. And I’m honored to have served you all, though I may have falied in the end.

With this off my chest now. I want to ask you, the role-players, what do you wish now to happen? Everything that happened at this point has been done for you, and noone else. From the beginning to the end I withnessed the very same audience of Dungeon Keeper fans. Perhaps we do need to start over, in a clean, smaller, new state to get this all behind us. If it’s the time to decide, it is now.

Starting over is a bad idea. It would ruin years of progress, and it would never manage to get back up in the same level.

A clean, smaller, new slate isn't going to work either. The RPG is already quite small. Redoing it will shrink it up further, and ultimately drop activity enough that it will die completely.

We need all resources we have to keep the RPG alive. Therefore, my proposal is to keep the RPG as is, and keep it running again. A reboot will kill the entire RPG, as well as any that might come.

As mentioned before, I’m not looking to be the RPG everyday life leader again. Nor even in the background after this debacle. I can imagine few people would be willing to support me after these relevations, and they are right. If there are any worthy person(s) around who think they can lead the RPG, please bring it up. If everything is back on track and normal I will gladly resign permanently and pass the RPG to these people. And promise not to interfere in RPG affairs again regarding leadership or in such significance.

So, if you don't want to lead again, period, and also have kicked Rex out of the option... Who would have to take up leadership, then? I imagine you won't allow Rex to continue, as you just kicked him out. And now the responsibility it suddenly between us, and I imagine few of us would know to lead it as well as either of you two. At least Rex had a vision, even if you disliked that vision.

But these actions combined, eliminate the chance of a leader, unless one of the other active RPers decides to step up and take over. And if there isn't... then, what would happen? Would there be a leaderless anarchy? Would The Awakening shut down? Neither of these seem like an acceptable alternative.

In the end, I think it is best that you resign again, permanently this time. I honestly believe you should just let it go. And let Rex take up the mantle, and decide what to do with it. Rex has the activity that is needed to be the GM, as well as a vision that many stand by (myself included).

nijuni_kuro
April 8th, 2012, 23:12
Wow... Things are, obviously, much worse than I thought.

I actually expected a debate among the GMs whether the RP should keep it's traditional, easy-going attitude or turn into "Spreadsheets: The Game". Personally, I expected some more background story after the "conquest" of Crystalbarrow Catacombs, but I simply thought: "They're probably just busy, it'll come soon". Yet we still haven't seen it, even after Rex allowed recruitment of Dark Angels, which were gone as part of the RP's main plot.

I actually liked the idea of "elite" rank beyond the level 10, and I welcomed the addition of new spells and skills. But the idea of sacrificing people's characters so someone could obtain a Maiden, Angel or Reaper? That seemed simply ridicilous. That would actually encourage people to kick their creativity aside and spam the RP with cut&paste clones with no personality of their own, simply to obtain a "powerfull" creature - which would be completely counter-productive for the RP itself. Unlike some of you who don't mind killing off your creatures, you'll notice that I still RP with the 2 characters with whom I started the RP, trying to make them grow as individuals, rather than killing them off and starting with someone else whenever I get bored.

I can also understand Duke's pain of having his ideas and vision being altered (twisted) without his consent. Remember how we all felt when "DK World" came out and our favorite franchise was ruined, simply for EA's profit? Well, imagine now if you were the creator of DK series and EA sucking your soul away and ruining something you spent great deal of time and effort to create. If you could, then you'd probably know how Duke feels.

I'm sorry, Rex, but Duke has my full support on this. I don't think I'll be continuing the RP myself if it turns into "DK World" or "Spreadsheets: The Game". As for taking over, I'm sure I'd be a bad choice. I'm sure some of you remember how my "fake rant reverse-psychology" turned out, which proves I'm not good at dealing with people. I do hope we will find someone who'd manage to save the RP and keep it true to it's DK spirit.

MeinCookie
April 8th, 2012, 23:22
You think I kill off my creatures left right and centre? I've only ever killed off one and it was my second creature, ever. I wasn't as good an RPer back then, and the character didn't have any propects. Look at Vermillion though... Look at his first post and look at how he has developed as a creature. Lord knows I'm too attached to my creatures to kill them just to bring in some other person I'm not sure I'd like.

This way you must understand NK that it is not so much killing off your own creatures... it is killing of prisoners, captured enemies. The real requirement is battle, not slaughter of ones own dungeon.

Again, I'm not interested in these creatures for myself. But if there was a problem, I would object.

Also you talk about "Spreadsheet: The Game"... this is not uniform across the RP. Different realms are run by different people, and will naturally have different levels depending on the Keeper. Northland has a strict Research progression last I checked, but you'll never find it in RCI. That way options are provided for everyone. Look at Grot and Vermillion, they subvert the notion incredibly. The statement is actually somewhat laughable, because wasn't it Duke that suggested Keeper Approval? Summaries and such are a fact of life, part of growing up, taking things more seriously - but that doesn't mean their isn't room for naughty men to slip around and rules to be flexible.

Metal Gear Rex
April 8th, 2012, 23:41
Alright, now some things need to be cleared up. I will be posting the PMs that Duke and I sent back and forth between each other, starting with the very first PM that he sent me once I became the GM. Now everyone can see the truth and the discussions as they were.

I hope everyone is capable of judging well.

Hello MGR,

As the new GM I suppose I should inform you about the general background of the RPG, plot and story etc. I'd also like to maintain that I still remain GM aswel, just being more on the background, if you can agree on that.

Regards,
Duke Ragereaver

Didn't you once inform me of the story and plot once before? I recall a long time ago that you sent me a file over skype regarding that. Though I suppose you could have updated it since. Regardless, I would need an extra copy of that file as it was on my other computer, which is currently suffering various problems in terms of its ability to transfer data.

Anyways, sure I'd be fine with you serving as a secondary GM.

I will PM the (updated) story somewhere up this weekend.

Alright then, I'll look out for it.

The following PMs occured after Duke learned of Faircoast's opening and Crystalbarrow's ending.

It seems you have decided to follow your own path before I got the chance to reply with the updated story version which was practically done before I noticed all the changes that were made.

You have extremely dissapointed me, Metal Gear Rex.

I am sorry to have disappointed you, Duke. However, I did what I felt was best for the RPers. My reasoning behind Crystalbarrow's ending were to be explained in the OOC thread, which I have, at this point in time, been yet to do. My reasoning behind creating a new Keeper has already been explained, and that was that I do not think it is fair to chain the new Keepers eternally to someone else's character. Especially if their creator won't be coming back.

What good did that do then? It would have been far more optimal to finish Crystalbarrow and then focus on the other realms before even considering to do that. And we agreed in this very same PM thread that I would be the person about the background/story of the RPG, and you basically slapped me in the face by displaying such a disrespecting disregarding attitude.

What good did that do then? It would have been far more optimal to finish Crystalbarrow and then focus on the other realms before even considering to do that.

No, it would not have been. Finishing up a realm takes a lot of time regardless of how much activity there is. Both Red Crystal Islands and Northland are far from being completed, with Frozengard being far out of the question. Northland is the most active realm, and I've even been trying to rush its plot along lately, but even then, it will take a good while for it to see an end. Roughly three to four Months at best.

I've been studying the activity of the Awakening and how it is effected by various realms and events within each realm, and I decided that three Realms would be the best quantity of Realms to yield the best results. There's a limit to how fast a realm can progress, and RCI and Northland hit that limit pretty often. Adding a third realm does slow down RCI and Northland admittedly, but it only stops them from hitting that progression limit as often.

However, there are times (Like in Northland currently) where a Keeper is unable to make progress due to outside interference or the progression is just generally slow because there's nothing going on in terms of events. During those times, the Realm would become slow and all alternative realms benefit in activity. With only Northland and RCI, only one realm would benefit and it wouldn't get very much due to the progression limit.

However, with a third realm, the benefit gets split between two alternative realms. This may sound bad but the progression limit would hinder the realms anyways. If you were to look at the overall activity in the Awakening, you could see that two realms getting close to hitting the progression limit is a lot more active than one realm hitting the progression limit and going no faster. It essentially helps the Awakening as a whole remain active more often in some way.

I'm certain you would want me to install Mothrayas as Mikaelios' second replacement instead of opening up a new realm, but I'm quite against the idea to be perfectly honest. As explained in the Central Discussion topic, it isn't fair to force him or MeinCookie to having to eternally play as a Keeper they did not create if they didn't want to. Forcing Mothrayas to have to stick up with Mikaelios' character for who knows how long wouldn't be very fun for him. That may reflect in his activity as a Keeper, making it more difficult for him to remain motivated throughout the entire time. This is why I offered Mothrayas the opportunity to play as a different Keeper.

In this particular situation, it also would have an effect on Crystalbarrow's Creatures. They would have nowhere to go, and would, by the rules, be forced a Level Drop as they have no Keeper to follow. On the other hand, making an exception in this case would give them a choice of heading to one of three realms that are already built up, without any Level Penalties. That's fine and all but that also means it is unfair to Creatures of alternative realms, who only have one realm to go to if they want to avoid Level Penalties. Not to mention, that dungeon would end up starting from scratch. There's a level of unfairness regardless of what happens, unless a new realm is opened up under a new Keeper.

As you may or may not be able to see, I have plenty of reasons to open up a new realm and every reason not to continue with either Frozengard nor Larquidos. I will stand by my decision firmly with no doubt nor regret in my mind. I hope you can understand and respect that.

Regarding Crystalbarrow, what you could do is simply finish it and let the Creatures leave without penalty regardless if they follow the keeper or not. I think that the way it was described in the rules untill that was apparantly changed.

You cannot do and base everything on assumptions, supported by your own select assumptions. I remain unconvinced or unimpressed so far with the changes taken already. Some which won't have any real affect at all, others which are dubious and few steer right against everything traditional RPG stood for.

And we agreed in this very same PM thread that I would be the person about the background/story of the RPG, and you basically slapped me in the face by displaying such a disrespecting disregarding attitude.

If that is what you think, then I can see that we've had quite the misunderstanding here. I never agreed to you being about the story. Rather, what I agreed to was you being a secondary GM that works in the background, not on it. To be perfectly honest, and I mean no offense, I think the misunderstanding was the cause of your own mistake. The request you made to me was rather poorly worded and misleading to what you actually meant.

Now that I do know that you wish to be the writer for the story, similar to Who-horny's position from before, I'm going to have to reject your offer. I'm sorry but I don't really need any assistance when it comes to working on a story. In fact, I would much rather have complete control over it myself. Story is my specialty, you need not worry about it suffering. Quite the opposite, really.

I apologize that there was a misunderstanding resulting in disappointment. However, you may feel free to send me the updated story whenever you are able to. I would like to try and remain in a similar direction as the story you have, making changes only to better it. However, I will not promise anything and I ask that you note that I am not obligated to follow the story in any way.

You can refuse to send me the updated story, if you so desire. But be warned that this only forces me to drift away from whatever story you had in mind. This is your choice to make.

Why didn't you bother to clear things up if I was so poorly worded and/or misleading?

Whatever you want, you have severely damaged a potential good working relationship what could have been between us. But the plot and story must go on as I dictate it as the RPG is my own creation, or at least in big lines. And to be quite frankly, you have displayed everything to make me worry about the general state of the RPG, and not just the story.

After a while spending thinking I'm giving you an ultimatetum. We are standing at a crossroad here because of our differences and it's clear it cannot continue letst we we make some ground rules:

New changes made must be consulted with the feedback RP'ers first give regarding gameplay. And storywise with me. The thing regarding Crystalbarrow/Fair Coast must be undone.

OR

Continue to follow your own path and decide whatever you come up to yourself entirely. If that's the case the RPG will no longer continue under The Awakening nametag. Meaning NPC characters, story and new realms involving The Awakening are off-limits.

You get everything here you want; complete control.

As GM you must take some tough decisions, this is one but many of them, as I regret to say it. But that is the way it is and the current course cannot continue.

Choose well.

Regarding Crystalbarrow, what you could do is simply finish it and let the Creatures leave without penalty regardless if they follow the keeper or not. I think that the way it was described in the rules untill that was apparantly changed.

As I've already explained in the previous PM, it would be unfair either way. Crystalbarrow's Creatures get an advantage based on situation, an advantage that other Creatures don't get. That is what makes it unfair.

Also, what are you talking about regarding the change of rules? I didn't change that aspect of the rules.

You cannot do and base everything on assumptions, supported by your own select assumptions. I remain unconvinced or unimpressed so far with the changes taken already. Some which won't have any real affect at all, others which are dubious and few steer right against everything traditional RPG stood for.

Right now, the only one working off of assumptions is you. I did actually study the activity of the Awakening. Not to mention, I've been watching for a very long time. I know what it is like, I know how it played out. I spent time thinking about what decisions I did make. Just because you don't have the best image of me, as you've displayed over the time we've known each other, doesn't mean I'm as bad as you think I am simply because you don't fully agree with my changes.

I don't have a problem going against the traditional RPG. Dungeon Keeper is a very different game, and already was the Awakening moving in a different direction compared to standard forum RPGs. I don't think we should allow such a restriction get in our way. Perhaps you disagree as you're more fond of the traditional RPG, or you don't mind such limitations on the RPers, but if that is the case then there's nothing I can do about what you think.

Why didn't you bother to clear things up if I was so poorly worded and/or misleading?

The same could be said about why you didn't try to word yourself better, or why you didn't try to clarify your meaning to make sure you were understood. Just as you didn't realize there was a second way for your words to be interpreted, I didn't realize there was a second meaning that you could be implying. If I did, then of course I would have asked what you meant. If anything, you were in a better situation to realize the potential misunderstanding, as I mentioned having you as a secondary GM without any mention regarding the story.

Don't assume that I knew of two meanings and didn't bother trying to clarify. It only reflects how you look at me. My actions in general should have already displayed that I generally like to ask for clarification if I am uncertain of what someone or something means, in order to get a better grasp/understanding on a situation. You've known me for quite a while now, I would be surprised if you honestly didn't know that at all.

Whatever you want, you have severely damaged a potential good working relationship what could have been between us. But the plot and story must go on as I dictate it as the RPG is my own creation, or at least in big lines. And to be quite frankly, you have displayed everything to make me worry about the general state of the RPG, and not just the story.

I doubt such a relationship would work out to begin with. We have very different ways of thinking and different priorities. Such a relationship has no true potential and you would find it to crumble very quickly, especially considering the disrespectful attitude you're displaying to me now and throughout this whole PM. I understand why you display your own concern, but I know that is due to the difference in opinion and your disagreement with my view of things.

Changes made to the Awakening are by no means eternal. If something shows potential problems, with actual solid evidence to support the theory that a certain problem exists rather than an assumption made by a personal view, then it will be dealt with appropriately.

After a while spending thinking I'm giving you an ultimatetum. We are standing at a crossroad here because of our differences and it's clear it cannot continue letst we we make some ground rules:

New changes made must be consulted with the feedback RP'ers first give regarding gameplay. And storywise with me. The thing regarding Crystalbarrow/Fair Coast must be undone.

OR

Continue to follow your own path and decide whatever you come up to yourself entirely. If that's the case the RPG will no longer continue under The Awakening nametag. Meaning NPC characters, story and new realms involving The Awakening are off-limits.

You get everything here you want; complete control.

As GM you must take some tough decisions, this is one but many of them, as I regret to say it. But that is the way it is and the current course cannot continue.

Choose well.

Here is my decision:
All realms will move as they have been moving before. I will begin preparations for a possible move, but I will not necessarily move away from the Awakening. Rather, I will begin a thread about it and allow the people to discuss it before I come to a final decision. In order to give everyone a proper understanding of the situation before they begin discussing it, I will have to post the content of these PMs. Changes regarding the gameplay will be handled in the same way as I've been handling it.

In the case that we do move, then Northland and Red Crystal Islands will continue as they've been moving until they are finished. Faircoast will have a name change, as it is the only attachment to the Awakening. No changes will occur in either Northland nor Red Crystal Islands themselves, and will be completely be unaffected by the move. There may be certain character adaptions to the new RPG for certain relationships, such as Cedric being the son of Lord Charles.

If people do not wish to move, then everything will continue as before. I will still remain completely in control of the Awakening.

In this kind of situation, right and wrong are a matter of opinion. Therefore, my choice in how to act is not necessarily an unwise choice, simply because you do not agree with it. I have made my decision based on this effects everybody else.

Now... this does bring about a few questions. Do you care about the Awakening and do you care about the people within it?

Do you care about all the progress that people have made over the past few years? Do you really want to try and throw it all away without any care or thought given to how people would react?

You have single-mindedly given me a choice over the fate of the Awakening without any authority to do so. I know what you're trying to do, Duke. You are trying to create a win-win situation, in which case you either win because you regain control over the Awakening, or you win because you are able to tarnish my name by forcing me to make a decision to benefit myself that will make everyone unhappy.

However, you have forgotten that you are no longer GM. You have absolutely no right to issue such a decision for me to make. You have given me the title, power, and responsibility as GM. I will not follow you into your trap. I am not selfish and I will not make such an important decision without consulting everyone else first. Nor am I going to allow myself to be manipulated so that you can have your own gain at my expense.

I have had my theory about why you wanted to remain GM. It may have been based off of a misunderstanding, but it appears to be correct regardless based on your actions. You want to remain within power with all of its perks, remaining in control over the Awakening, yet you don't want to hold any of the responsibility that comes with that power. You want to use me as an escape from that responsibility. Perhaps you aren't fully aware of it, but this is what your actions and attitude are displaying.

You need to learn, understand, and accept that you are no longer GM. You have passed that onto me. You have no copyright or anything on the Awakening, I have no reason to drift away from the Awakening as you've already given me control over it.

Yet you try to seize command regardless, displaying a very selfish and unreasonable attitude in how you wish to either remain under power or take away everything from everyone else just because things are not going your way. As the GM, I have a responsibility over the Awakening and the RPers within it, and I cannot allow you to do that.

I am aware that, as a Super Moderator, you have the power to do changes to the Awakening and to my ability to lead it. However, as things stand, you have no right nor authority to do so. You have passed control over the Awakening to me, given me the title of GM and responsibility over managing the Awakening as a whole. You have no right nor justification to change that. Doing so would display an act of corruption and abuse of moderator power, in which case I will have to report it to dotted immediately.

I apologize that I come off as rude on several occasions throughout this PM. But you have to understand that you've been talking down to me throughout this whole PM, and I will not tolerate such disrespect. You may have been able to get away with such an attitude before, but not anymore. You shouldn't try to assume command like you are doing so now, because it does reflect very badly on you. Additionally, don't try to trap someone into a corner as you tried to do with me, as it also does not reflect well on you.

I hope you can understand and respect every meaning that I have tried to express to you. But regardless of whether you do or don't, it is irrelevant. In the end, my decision is final.

The same could be said about why you didn't try to word yourself better, or why you didn't try to clarify your meaning to make sure you were understood. Just as you didn't realize there was a second way for your words to be interpreted, I didn't realize there was a second meaning that you could be implying. If I did, then of course I would have asked what you meant. If anything, you were in a better situation to realize the potential misunderstanding, as I mentioned having you as a secondary GM without any mention regarding the story.

Don't assume that I knew of two meanings and didn't bother trying to clarify. It only reflects how you look at me. My actions in general should have already displayed that I generally like to ask for clarification if I am uncertain of what someone or something means, in order to get a better grasp/understanding on a situation. You've known me for quite a while now, I would be surprised if you honestly didn't know that at all.

If you just had PM'ed for clarifications it would have saved alot of hassle and I would apologize for inconivience. Right now you are showing zero responsbility by shoving it off from you. That's the way it is, you had the ball.

I doubt such a relationship would work out to begin with. We have very different ways of thinking and different priorities. Such a relationship has no true potential and you would find it to crumble very quickly, especially considering the disrespectful attitude you're displaying to me now and throughout this whole PM. I understand why you display your own concern, but I know that is due to the difference in opinion and your disagreement with my view of things.

Different ways of thinking or priorities should not be a interfering factor, or the world would be to hell a long time ago. See what I mean? You didn't even bother trying, showing you have a blabant disregard for anyone but yourself. And you find it strange you get this kind of of response? And it saddens me somewhat that you are obvlious to that fact, it issen't the first time you got into quarrels, is it?

Here is my decision:
All realms will move as they have been moving before. I will begin preparations for a possible move, but I will not necessarily move away from the Awakening. Rather, I will begin a thread about it and allow the people to discuss it before I come to a final decision. In order to give everyone a proper understanding of the situation before they begin discussing it, I will have to post the content of these PMs. Changes regarding the gameplay will be handled in the same way as I've been handling it.

In the case that we do move, then Northland and Red Crystal Islands will continue as they've been moving until they are finished. Faircoast will have a name change, as it is the only attachment to the Awakening. No changes will occur in either Northland nor Red Crystal Islands themselves, and will be completely be unaffected by the move. There may be certain character adaptions to the new RPG for certain relationships, such as Cedric being the son of Lord Charles.

If people do not wish to move, then everything will continue as before. I will still remain completely in control of the Awakening.

In this kind of situation, right and wrong are a matter of opinion. Therefore, my choice in how to act is not necessarily an unwise choice, simply because you do not agree with it. I have made my decision based on this effects everybody else.

Now... this does bring about a few questions. Do you care about the Awakening and do you care about the people within it?

Do you care about all the progress that people have made over the past few years? Do you really want to try and throw it all away without any care or thought given to how people would react?

You have single-mindedly given me a choice over the fate of the Awakening without any authority to do so. I know what you're trying to do, Duke. You are trying to create a win-win situation, in which case you either win because you regain control over the Awakening, or you win because you are able to tarnish my name by forcing me to make a decision to benefit myself that will make everyone unhappy.

However, you have forgotten that you are no longer GM. You have absolutely no right to issue such a decision for me to make. You have given me the title, power, and responsibility as GM. I will not follow you into your trap. I am not selfish and I will not make such an important decision without consulting everyone else first. Nor am I going to allow myself to be manipulated so that you can have your own gain at my expense.

I have had my theory about why you wanted to remain GM. It may have been based off of a misunderstanding, but it appears to be correct regardless based on your actions. You want to remain within power with all of its perks, remaining in control over the Awakening, yet you don't want to hold any of the responsibility that comes with that power. You want to use me as an escape from that responsibility. Perhaps you aren't fully aware of it, but this is what your actions and attitude are displaying.

You need to learn, understand, and accept that you are no longer GM. You have passed that onto me. You have no copyright or anything on the Awakening, I have no reason to drift away from the Awakening as you've already given me control over it.

Yet you try to seize command regardless, displaying a very selfish and unreasonable attitude in how you wish to either remain under power or take away everything from everyone else just because things are not going your way. As the GM, I have a responsibility over the Awakening and the RPers within it, and I cannot allow you to do that.

I am aware that, as a Super Moderator, you have the power to do changes to the Awakening and to my ability to lead it. However, as things stand, you have no right nor authority to do so. You have passed control over the Awakening to me, given me the title of GM and responsibility over managing the Awakening as a whole. You have no right nor justification to change that. Doing so would display an act of corruption and abuse of moderator power, in which case I will have to report it to dotted immediately.

I apologize that I come off as rude on several occasions throughout this PM. But you have to understand that you've been talking down to me throughout this whole PM, and I will not tolerate such disrespect. You may have been able to get away with such an attitude before, but not anymore. You shouldn't try to assume command like you are doing so now, because it does reflect very badly on you. Additionally, don't try to trap someone into a corner as you tried to do with me, as it also does not reflect well on you.

I hope you can understand and respect every meaning that I have tried to express to you. But regardless of whether you do or don't, it is irrelevant. In the end, my decision is final.

Do you have ANY idea what you are trying to say or suggest? Some shoving of blame here and there to me but never taking responsbility yourself or understand the greater picture. Right, my response will be short and brief.

I never relinquished control over the RPG, merely moving into the background but I would have the final say with you (supposed) to be about the everyday life of the RPG. The last thing the RPG needs me back with less-than-active activity. BUT I would never give away complete control if I knew it would it would not be in good hands, is that so hard to grasp or to believe?

And I would do alot to protect the roleplayer's work and keep it in a dignifying way.

You have shown yourself a threat to the RPG and it's roleplayers who have accumulated about 4 years of roleplaying. You have already flushed Crystalbarrow down the toilet and you are ready to turn the rest of the RPG into an abomination with your micromanagement. You will not get away with this, that will end now.

This last set of quotes were from the final PM that I sent to him, and the final PM that he sent back to me. Immediately after Duke sent his last PM is when he decided to close down the Awakening. Afterwards, there was the confrontation in the chatbox as most of you are aware of. Then I decided to get dotted and have him help me resolve this. While dotted cannot personally resolve it, he encouraged Duke to create this thread in order to discuss the general direction of the Awakening. And that is where we are.

I will prepare my own explination for some of the things as to why I decided to do them, but everyone will have to wait for that right now. I am honestly rather tense and stressed right now, and I am certain that these feelings are understood. I would prefer to calm myself a bit before I immediately jump into making a response so that I may properly word and express myself.

Duke Ragereaver
April 9th, 2012, 00:25
Very nice post MeinCookie. That’s the passion I have been talking about, and I respect that a lot.

@Mothrayas,

I will try to clarify as good as I can. I have agreed with MGR to share PM details the last days so that might help. They are posted, so feel free to ask about if needs be.

Really? As far as anyone knew, you did step down, and passed the Awakening over to Rex entirely. There was nothing stating you to still be active. Here are some snippets from what you told me:

That was at the time yes. But after Metal Gear Rex has been appointed GM I made sure to lay the that there would be some groundrules. Such as me staying on the background. Which Metal Gear Rex agreed to...

Hello MGR,

As the new GM I suppose I should inform you about the general background of the RPG, plot and story etc. I'd also like to maintain that I still remain GM aswel, just being more on the background, if you can agree on that.

Regards,
Duke Ragereaver

Didn't you once inform me of the story and plot once before? I recall a long time ago that you sent me a file over skype regarding that. Though I suppose you could have updated it since. Regardless, I would need an extra copy of that file as it was on my other computer, which is currently suffering various problems in terms of its ability to transfer data.

Anyways, sure I'd be fine with you serving as a secondary GM.

Also, would you mind to explain why you thought things wouldn't go well with Rex? Everybody in the entire active Awakening community of the time agreed for Rex to follow up. Rex was popular, very active besides, so could you please explain to us what your problem was with him? I want to hear some elaboration.

Bluntly put; bad past experiences. I would hate to go in detail since this would involve other people but if you insist I could sum up stuff.

In my opinion (and probably many other RPers too), these changes were for the better. Crystalbarrow was incredibly stagnant. When I heard of the plotline that was still left in Crystalbarrow, it looked like it would drag on for far too long. Crystalbarrow would never get finished. Rebooting from scratch was the better move to make here, and judging from chatbox messages, the community was quite hyped by the new realm, including the twists that came with it.

Instead however, you now call the RPG an "abomination". Are these changes really so bad, in your eyes? Why? I honestly don't understand.

Again, why are these changes considered bad in any way? Please explain. As far as is known, nobody of the active community had any problems with the changes. Faircoast did pretty well to rid off the stagnation that was Crystalbarrow, and all other changes were not only done in cooperation with the community, but also very much approved by the same community. What's your problem with all these changes?

Some changes I could care hardly less about since they of little relevance. Others I felt, were questionable. Spell suggestions? Did this just turned into the WftO board or something? No, it was still The Awakening boards. Very much approved you say? I could be wrong but wassen’t it you who raised some question marks about this specific subject, please correct me if I am wrong.

We had a disagreement over strategy, regarding Crystalbarrow though both of us agreed mostly that Crystalbarrow had to end, just not the way it was supposed to be. Anyway, I suggested to focus on the present realms instead rather than opening new ones, to reduce the divided attention. But it was steered instead the other way to the last thing it needs, a new realm. Faircoast is doing well yes, but there are other realms that need attention too. The problem of activity is not solved, it’s simply moved from one spot to another.

The Dark Beyond was also hyped by the community at the time, but was it of actual value after some while? You know the answer as good as I do, as the rest of the community.

This smells like bias. I know Rex very well, and I know quite well, based on that alone, that this simply did not go that way. I also find it very suspicious that you go little further in explanation than just outright demonizing the opponent.

Am I supposed to believe this? Could you show me your conversations you had with Rex?

It was harsh from me, yes. Looking back, I wish I haven’t typed that. Your comments and subsequent ones about it are spots on.

Again, the original plotline was way too stretched out to work well, or at all. Who is it that received an indirect "slap in the face", by the way? The only ones I can even think of are you, Who-Horny (who hasn't cared about the RPG anymore for years), and Searingflame for having his keeper position taken (although he also largely left the forum by this point). Even without the change Searingflame would be affected the same way, and Who-Horny, as I said, has been gone for way too long to care. So, you feel worse for... yourself only? Because a part of your plot was taken away in favor of something which was largely backed by the community?

Honestly, who or what do you want the RPG to stand for? For yourself, or for the community? It looks like you're now largely alienating the community, just because you want to reclaim your Awakening.

There are people from the past remember? No, not ghosts. You know, the former people you and I roleplayed with. What I wanted for Crystalbarrow was to have a clean, nice neat ending, as for a tribute for those who had played in that realm. A shrine so to speak. That was all really about it. Again, I stand firm I'm doing this for you, the roleplayers.

How much do you know about the general plot if I may ask?

Here's a question. You see that the co-lead between you and Rex is not working. The obvious option is, between the two of you, to kick one out, that much is obvious. However, I think both of you know which one of you is more active, and thus better capable to, y'know, lead the whole thing. Why do you think you must be the leader, between the two of you, and not Rex? The reason Rex became GM/co-GM was because you said you couldn't handle it anymore. So, now you suddenly can?

I stated to you that the RPG needs an active leader. Will you be an active leader, or will the RPG fall into digress until we find another one again, starting the cycle anew?

Please state the vision you have for this. This is not about you, Rex, or what either of you want. This is about the Awakening as a whole.

What I want is a stalwart, active person naturally true to the Dungeon Keeper spitit to lead the RPG. Someone acceptable to all yet decisive with common sense and one that is fair. It’s perhaps ironic that none else but yourself, Mothrayas, fufills that criteria.

But perhaps we are getting ahead of ourselves?

nijuni_kuro
April 9th, 2012, 00:44
@Cookie:
Actually, I was referring to Rex's 11 dead-or-missing creatures. I understand why you killed off Buzzard.

I'm not saying changes are bad, quite the contrary. I'm just saying I see some possible exploits, which might need ironing out (nothing RP-breaking so far, tho).

Well, let me put it this way... Duke gave his "child" to Rex to babysit. Rex misunderstood that he abandoned it and adopted it. Then, when Duke came to check on his "child", Rex didn't let him even touch his own "child", claiming Duke has no rights over it anymore. I'm guessing that's how Duke sees it. He's an artist and true artists have great attachment to their works.

Hmm... Perhaps having different realms with somewhat different mechanics for people with different preferences would actually be best, now that I think about it. Like having an easy-going RCI and micro-managing Northland, for example.

------------------

@Rex:
Huh... Duke's people skills seem almost as bad as mine ('cept mine are far worse XD).

I know it might seem like I'm stabbing you in the back, but...

Duke gave his "child" to Rex to babysit. Rex misunderstood that he abandoned it and adopted it. Then, when Duke came to check on his "child", Rex didn't let him even touch his own "child", claiming Duke has no rights over it anymore. I'm guessing that's how Duke sees it. He's an artist and true artists have great attachment to their works.

Also, this is starting to look like a political power-struggle. I hate politics. :( Can't we all just get along? Why shove Duke out as soon as he gives you power? Why not let him continue working on the story? Why is collaboration impossible?

MeinCookie
April 9th, 2012, 02:33
I had an idea... 'the Council of WhoHorny' whereby GM(s) and RMs can access a hidden thread. Why? Because it performs WhoHorny's role in linking and uniting the realms and world as well as handling the plot. Plot is handled by the GM(s), but with collaboration from RMs. Input allows a running discussion as with WhoHorny, DL and Duke.

This stops the plot being such an abstract thing and makes not only realms more adaptive to changes in plot, but plot more receptive to changes in realms. It also means individual creatures have a greater effect on Heavenarius as a whole. End result is that the plot becomes relevant and stays relevant. In short everything is linked much more closely.

If plot is to be relevant, we need a new WhoHorny - only this avoids someone trying to single-handled coordinate all realms and allows for far greater redundancy throughout the ENTIRE Awakening on a realm level and a meta-realm level.

Secrecy is stupid when employed to the point that the plot becomes irrelevant to the story and the realms and to the point that losing a single RPer (WhoHorny) nigh results in plot breakdown across all the realms.

At any rate you guys might get on better if you had one central forum to discuss things in.

Also... Crystal really did need a fresh start, For the record I back MGR on fully there even if things could have been wrapped up better, but if he was going to post in the OCC the backstory/reasons then I'm completely fine with it. Yeah, it would have been nice in an ideal world to wrap it up with a neat little bow, but this isn't an ideal world it gets to the point where the effort expended isn't worth the return, Duke. Let Crystal go in my book.

Also, Also... Abomination? Really? Really, really? Changes had to happen. This is an RPG and excuse me for saying Dungeon Keeper isn't gospel. It has been 13 years since DK2 and this is a very different beast in terms of format... balancing has already shifted so much. I think we can allow a few small alterations/additions in something of as little import as spells if it improves variety and keeps things fresh - it isn't like we shall see a new Dungeon Keeper for the rest of eternity. It isn't like the Awakening is turning into the horrid Test Realms overnight. My opinion, but there was a discussion thread people seemed okay with it. It isn't like MGR hasn't put his suggestions before the active RPG community and it isn't like they haven't garned support/okay-ness in equal measure. Aside from Crystal but that was going to have to be done sooner or later. I'd rather some 98% DK and 10% funner and more interesting, then something stale and 100% DK because Ultimately it is still DK.

Metal Gear Rex
April 9th, 2012, 08:55
Now, it is time to share how I see things, and give a proper explanation behind Crystalbarrow's end. I suppose I'll begin with Crystalbarrow to get that out of the way first.

My very initial plan, back when I first became GM, was to have Mothrayas continue through Crystalbarrow and Larquidos as originally planned. From there, Mothrayas would continue to play as Larquidos as planned. However, I began to think about it. I was the only original Dungeon Keeper, and everyone else was playing as a Keeper that they didn't create. I wondered if I should just leave things that way, or if I could possibly allow the creation of a new Keeper, to allow Mothrayas to create his own Keeper character. I confronted him about this, but at the time, it was merely a possibility.

However, as I put more and more thought into it, I began to feel that it would be the best possible option. I was the only one who had the luxury of playing as my own Keeper, and I didn't think it was fair that everyone else was so restricted by another's character. So I gave Moth the option of either choosing to continue as Larquidos, or to create a new Keeper. And as most could already guess, he chose the latter.

Now this changed things a bit, but there were no real changes in Crystalbarrow planned at this time. I had already sent both Duke and Searing a message, as this was the day Searing appeared and made a post in the Central Discussion Topic, and asked them both what the plans were for Crystalbarrow. I planned to remain on the same course, and I had Moth wait until Monday when I finally received a message from Duke, missing Searing completely, unfortunately.

When I read what was in store for Crystalbarrow, I was surprised and rather disappointed in what was planned.

This (http://imageshack.us/f/84/goodcrystalbarrow.png/) is the map of Crystalbarrow. The big plan for the plot was to "continue the hunt for Lord Christopher to his fortress for a final showdown. Only for him to escape through a Hero Portal".

The plan was to follow Christopher down that very, very long route, then possibly deal with his army of Heroes, have a battle with him, and then he escapes. Leaving absolutely nothing to be accomplished. As you may or may not see, the plan was rather bad, to say the least. It would force Crystalbarrow to drag on for an absurdly long period of time, much longer than it would need to, then have a very anti-climatic ending that leaves a bad taste of failure in everybody's mouth. It would require an excessively long period of time to devote in order to get that far, and all that time and energy would be essentially for nothing. This would be such a disappointing ending that it would border insulting. That is no way to pay tribute.

I began to discuss a change of plans with Mothrayas. I felt a bit mixed about changing the plans for the plot at first, but I was reassured when I came to realization that Crystalbarrow's plot was never really important to begin with. In fact, it was so far the worst of the realms in terms of plot, disregarding Frozengard as it hasn't even begun branching out yet. It was generally rather straightforward and simple, almost being stale at some points. Plus there was a fair amount of questionableness regarding various things. For one, Drell's lair was right next to the passage that Heroes used to get from their Fortress over to both Jarquidos and Larquidos. Connected, even, by a Secret Door that Drell surely knew about considering he's been there for who knows how long. Yet he did nothing about the Heroes, despite him hating their presence. Jarquidos' death I think was also intended to be sad, judging by what the Codex says about him regarding how he was holding off the Heroes and stopping them from reaching Larquidos. (Ironically, I think the description used to involve him simply fighting on two fronts between his brother and the Heroes due to his own arrogance)

But I'm certain the point can be seen now. Crystalbarrow's plot was nothing special, and there should be no problem in ending it now. Better now than later, before it took a turn for the worst, becoming a stale road that leads to anti-climatic disappointment. There was nothing to gain from continuing in Crystalbarrow's original path, and it would force Mothrayas to remain as Larquidos for an unnecessarily long period of time.

The ending could be seen as abrupt, or it could be seen as an epilogue. An epilogue to the battle against the mighty Dragon of Crystalbarrow, Drell. This is what I desired to be the true final battle of Crystalbarrow. Searing definitely prolonged it to make it a lasting one, so it could very well be seen as the final battle. I felt this at least left an ending with some sort of accomplishment, and with less disappointment. The endings are relatively similar in that they tie two adventures together, creating a goal in which Christopher must be hunted down and killed. But my ending doesn't waste time nor energy, and neither does it end with (as much) disappointment.

Now, to explain my view a bit... I do not see myself as trying to seize control and power over the Awakening and to kick Duke off the stage, for I feel that I already have it and that I am trying to protect it from Duke, who is trying to that control and power away from me after admitting he no longer wanted it and handed it over to me.

To me, the evens can be described like this. Duke is standing on a stage in front of a crowd, being the star, but admits he does not seek his position anymore. So I offer myself to replace him, and the crowd supports and encourages me. Duke helps me onto the stage, shakes my hand in agreement, then steps off stage and leaves me to run the show. Not too long after he steps down, Duke runs back onto the stage and tries to shove me off, denying that he welcomed me onto the stage, denying that he shook my hand, and denying that he stepped down from the stage, despite that everyone else, including I, clearly saw it happen.

Duke has in many ways stated that he will be stepping down as GM, allowing someone else to take over the Awakening. Three times, as seen in a Visitor Message to Mothrayas, has he declared that he does not want to lead anymore and that he would be fine with someone else taking up the role as GM. In the end of the "Game Master of the Awakening (http://keeperklan.com/threads/2592-Game-Master-of-the-Awakening/page2?p=38648&highlight=#post38648)" thread, he has stated that he will go along with everyone's support and pass the role of GM from him to me. In addition, in the very PM that he first sent me has he also referred to me as the one in charge and the one with the authority.

He has asked if I agreed to that, giving me the power to reject his offer and request, and further acknowledging me as the GM with complete control.

Now, with my view painted in everybody's minds, imagine my reaction to when Duke begins to talk down to me as if he still holds more authority, and when he denies relinquishing full control over the Awakening and denies giving it to me. I feel disrespected and insulted. I became more commanding once Duke belittled my authority, after he gave me an ultimatum in which I would either be reduced to practically a mindless puppet, doing all the work and following Duke's orders, or I would be forced to destroy all the progress everyone has made. I found that he had no authority to give me such a choice, and in doing so, he truly angered me. I will not deny it. I was very angry about it, but within my shoes, who wouldn't be?

I still see myself as the one with complete control over the Awakening, and I still see Duke as attempting to seize control over the Awakening by denying his past statements and by denying and/or ignoring various facts. I never actually agreed to him becoming in charge of the story or anything related to the story. What I "agreed" to was him becoming a Secondary GM, AKA a Co-GM, in which case, he would still have to answer to me and not the other way around. Duke may have misunderstood, but that doesn't mean he has the right to try make various claims that I made certain agreements when I very clearly did not. ESPECIALLY not after acknowledging that there was a misunderstanding, in which case he did in the various PMs.

Now that my view of the situation has been expressed and hopefully understood, I would like to clarify a few other things. Notably the Spell Suggestions in how they defer from Dungeon Keeper.

I don't see how the new Spells truly drive away from Dungeon Keeper. They are new changes and differences, yes, but that doesn't define them as bad that should be avoided at all costs, nor does that necessarily mean they truly move away from the original Dungeon Keeper. It is all apart of an adaption from Dungeon Keeper the game to Dungeon Keeper the forum RPG. The new spells were kept pretty similar to Dungeon Keeper, with the majority of them being an expansion of concepts already introduced and spells that were in Dungeon Keeper yet not actually brought into the Awakening yet.

High Power Spells were really an expansion of Word of Power, being as Word of Power is considered a Level 10 Spell. All I was really doing was separating the more powerful spells from the "normal" and more common spells, then giving them a proper definition so RPers could easily recognize those spells as being more powerful.

As for the new spells such as Shine and Ice Shard... I felt they were more "necessary" spells to add for more variety. Already does the Awakening take under consideration the elemental properties of various magic when a spell hits an enemy, something that the original DK1 didn't really do and something that DK2 lacked in for the most part. These new spells are nothing too drastic, and were designed to adapt to that fact. Shine is an instant hit, like Drain or Lightning. It was inspired by the Monk's Drain, in that it was a shadowy attack when he was a holy Unit. Ice Shards are a simple projectile with a partial Slow effect. They both use existing DK-like properties.

Do not judge them by all the spells suggested, but by the spells that were actually accepted. I find the comparison to War for the Overworld to be rather questionable as the connection is through the general fact that I created a thread devoted to "suggestions" specifically for spells. Do not accuse me so aggressively and firmly of drifting away from Dungeon Keeper with these new spell suggestions. I understand your concern, but you have to understand that these changes are no different than many of the changes made to the Awakening already that defer from Dungeon Keeper, in that they are a minor change necessary in order to create a better adaption. Example would be the Scavenger Room.

Ironically, I rejected a lot of Spells because I felt they drifted too far away from Dungeon Keeper, in addition to them just generally not truly working out properly.

I'm not saying changes are bad, quite the contrary. I'm just saying I see some possible exploits, which might need ironing out (nothing RP-breaking so far, tho).

I think you should read the discussion thread involving the Dark Angel and Horned Reaper, or reread it if you missed something. Orion brought this up early on, but I already responded to it. Simply put, I wouldn't allow someone to try and abuse that. As mentioned by MeinCookie, it is primarily meant for prisoners. I wanted to leave this in as a possible way to end a Creature's life, but if people try to continuously abuse that (something I doubt they will as they're much smarter than that), then I can just as easily limit it to prisoners only under the story reasoning that the Dark Gods do not reward you for sacrificing your own Creatures.

Sure I may be excited by the introduction of Horned Reapers, but if they stay balanced, are tweaked or, if that fails, phased out and killed off appropriately... as long as they do not negatively impact my experience I will live and let live. I highly doubt they would be issued to inexperienced RPers anyway. I wouldn't want one. Far too much trouble.

As I mentioned before, I took a chance with the Horned Reaper. I was about 70% positive he could work out. I didn't want to ruin all chances and possibilities due to a mere 30%. In fact, I was planning on creating a Horned Reaper character and deploying him somewhere other than Northland in order to personally test him and to help set an example for others so that more people feel encouraged and comfortable with using him.

Now then... Duke, I have some words for you. Please try and listen, and try to understand. This will go on eternally otherwise.

What do you want to have happen? You have declared yourself as unwilling and unable to be the GM, and you have removed me as a possible candidate for being the GM. Who is going to lead the Awakening then?

Mothrayas has already shown his support towards me, as the GM. He has not shown interest in taking up the position of GM, else he would have already expressed it previously as there were plenty of opportunities for him to take that role or at least express a desire to have it. I don't even think he would have the time available to do so, judging by his reaction to my initial offer of him becoming the Keeper of Crystalbarrow. Taking up the GM's responsibility will be very time consuming, especially if he has to act as Keeper in addition to that. I am fortunate enough to have a very flexible lifestyle, so I can handle such a responsibility.

I have my mind set with the right priorities that a GM should have. If it hasn't been made clear enough already, my first priority is the Awakening and the RPers within it, as expressed in the PMs. My responsibility as GM also holds priority, followed by my responsibility as Keeper of Northland, followed by my responsibility over my Creatures. As such, I had to delay a necessary post for Northland's advancement recently for several days due to me handling various other GM responsibilities and having less time due to the specific situation of school. Most people should be aware to what I am referring to.

I also have the will and the determination to take this position. Since I was 6 years old, I have played Dungeon Keeper. The game appealed to me greatly, and I continued to play it throughout the years. I never once actually got truly bored of the game, always finding new ways to entertain myself. The Awakening was also my first forum RP, and remains to be my only RP as it spoiled me a bit. I got so used to the various unique aspects that it had that when I found other forum RPs that required characters and everything being planned beforehand, following a generally stricter path. I didn't find it as appealing. I have all the motivation I could possibly have to try and make sure that the Awakening doesn't die, so I won't ever abandon it so very suddenly, especially since I now have a larger responsibility and am practically essential to the Awakening's survival.

Additionally, I have the support of mostly everyone and I seem to get along with generally everyone. People voted for me to become GM for a reason, and they continue to support me. I am happy to say that I've had no problems with anyone as GM, and that everyone has recognized and respected my position.

If one of my changes presents itself to be a problem, then I will approach and resolve that problem appropriately. If I, or if the people, find me to be unfit for the GM title and role, then I have absolutely no problem in stepping down from that position.

However, I am not a person who simply gives up. If I make a mistake, I would much rather fix that mistake and learn from it than simply give up being a GM altogether. That would accomplish nothing. For me to be justifiably qualified as unfit to lead, it would require a series of severe mistakes on my part and my part alone. Mistakes that I cannot effectively correct. But truthfully, I doubt that such mistakes are possible. I spend enough time as it is thinking through new ideas. If there is something to be changed that is large enough to potentially create that crucial error, then it would require both a lack of thinking on my part and a lack of general RPers' attention brought to the change to begin with in order for that error to appear. Both of which are things I would avoid, especially when handling something so serious and important.

Overall, I am quite qualified to take up the position as GM. And people seem to be agreeing with me.

There has been only one person who has truly formed a problem with me as GM, one who did not respect nor apparently even recognize my authority. That person, is you, Duke. You have generally made the mistake of judging things prematurely, and even worse, acting on that premature judgement. Don't count your chickens before they hatch.

You have assumed that my changes are quite bad, going to the point where you even declare me a threat to the Awakening. Yet my changes haven't even been given a chance to show any effect on the Awakening, and have generally been supported by everyone before they were accepted. I've barely been able to show an effect on the Awakening, to add, and yet you criticize my actions despite them showing good results so far. To quote myself:

Changes made to the Awakening are by no means eternal. If something shows potential problems, with actual solid evidence to support the theory that a certain problem exists rather than an assumption made by a personal view, then it will be dealt with appropriately.

This can be used to generally describe the situation. You have formed a theory that there is a problem, yet acted without any solid evidence to back your theory, relying soling on your own personal view and opinion.

Now after learning of your past experience, I can fully understand where you are coming from. However, this only means that you should better seek the thoughts of others before you try and act on this situation. You appear to be running off of fear of having the same mistake occur twice, as you admitted. You must learn to control that feeling and emotion in order to prevent it from clouding your judgement. In order to be a reliable and competent leader, you need to know when you can and when you can't trust your own judgement. There is no shame in seeking advice from another if you feel you cannot properly judge a situation. If anything, it only prevents you from making a mistake.

If it offers any reassuring, then know that I will not make the same mistake as the GM of the previous RP. To delete everything and to try and take away everything from everyone is completely against what I'm trying to do. Acting in such a thoughtless manner would also destroy the very thing that I enjoy and am working to make sure remains alive. I would destroy the Awakening, and then what? What would that even accomplish? What would that do? Absolutely nothing. It would be utterly foolish and selfish to allow one's emotions to disrupt their thinking abilities to the point that they only seek the misery of others in order to satisfy themselves.

In fact, it is something I cannot possibly do to begin with. I don't have the power to delete such a thing. All I would be able to do is soft-delete it, in which case, dotted, DL, or even you could easily restore it. Abusing my powers like that would only justify a removal of them, and it would then tarnish my reputation to the point where the community doesn't even accept me anymore. Such barbarism holds no reward, only punishment.

Duke, I am aware that you find it difficult to accept me as the GM. But I think you're just too attached to the Awakening and the way it's been running by you to accept the changes that I offer. You said it yourself, changes are unavoidable. They are bound to happen sooner or later, they need to occur to keep the Awakening alive. I have done changes now because there is no merit in waiting until later. If these changes are creating problems, then I will fix them. Most changes can be easily reversed.

You need to learn to accept me as a GM. There's really no one else who is capable of leading effectively. Desire and time are necessary qualities, remember.

If you won't listen to me, then listen to everybody else.

What is it that they're asking to have happen?

That is all I will say for now. I hope that I was able to help resolve the problem significantly.

Searingflame2
April 9th, 2012, 11:03
MGR, there was a condition behind my support for you - a condition that may be shared by others.

Respect your elders.

Which I do mean figuratively, as Duke is a young man himself. But the truth is, there is no substitute from experience. Duke has seen and dealt with issues you haven't, and has done so brilliantly at that. Where once there was a time when I feverishly declared my hate for him due to restrictions placed on Val'Kaz, he dealt with it so diplomatically that I was immediately won over to his general view of things. The change I proposed was dramatic and idiotic, but he was able to convince me of that without saying it, thereby earning my respect rather than resentment.

And I don't know, Mr Rex, if in the same situation, you would have been able to do the same thing.

All I mean to say is that Duke has been there already. And he's been bloody brilliant in constructing what we have here today.

So why must you reject him so brutally? It was this interpretation of something you quoted that bothered me the most out of anything said or done here.

He has asked if I agreed to that, giving me the power to reject his offer and request, and further acknowledging me as the GM with complete control.

That is not at all how I see it. He would not have, I don't think, nor should he have been expected to, cede the power to you if you do not agree to pay attention to his valuable council.
People do not go to university because they are already better than their professors and eager to prove it, they go there to learn from them. Duke is your professor. He can teach you methods of control, diplomacy. He can offer mediation where otherwise you may be too hasty. He can be a bastion of consideration where you offer passion and excitement.

Cede some power, Rex. You had my support because I love your creativity, your zeal, and the amount of time you're willing to put into this. But please, don't let that zeal blind you to the fact that you are not all knowing, you are not infallible and that there are areas where Duke is a better candidate than you. If you agree to give him the say that he deserves, then we can have the best of both worlds.

The concession to make is small, but the prize is grand. Please, make the right choice.

Skarok
April 9th, 2012, 12:31
First about all the fuss with Crystallbarrow; I don't see why you're so upset about Rex doing the exact same thing that was planned from the beginning just a bit earlier. I don't think the realm would've survived to this point. It was a realm and a Keeper shaped by the creatures of role-players who have gone inactive years ago. It wasn't a realm where any of us was really involved, most just came in a few weeks ago, Moth overtook an already established character and hadn't much liberties and if the hunt would have been prolonged as long as first planned Crystallbarrow would have become a second Frozengard, a realm where no one is really interested in, not even the one who plays the Keeper. FCC was an opportunity for all the current role-players to have a dungeon they could form, a realm they could pattern from the very beginning. We would all have an attachment to the realm, unlike with Crystallbarrow and thus we would've been very motivated to play in there. Before you just shut everything down everyone had a great interest in it, though I'm not sure how everyone will see it after all this fuss, even if it continues like before, the bitter aftertaste will always hang over it.

Anyways, over to the second point. Rex has my full support, most of your claims aren't even applicable, and they are merely your view of things which you want to force us all to follow them. I think everyone here will agree that we just want the RPG running again and there was really lots of activity until you stepped in and shut everything down. Spells suggestion could very easily drive away from DK and everyone knows that, but Rex only accepted certain spells, spells which are very similar to the DK ones, hell most are even just a slightly changed or modified form of a DK spell. Accepting DA and Reapers was a great idea, Rex really tried to balance them out and here everyone's opinion on it before he decided to allow them entirely and even now he is very careful about the profiles when it comes into approval.

Third I understand your anger as a writer myself, I'd be really pissed if someone would steal my stories to and then turn them into something that's simply using the basic structure of my hard work. But I'd be not pissed if I'd have gave it away before, knowing of the fact that it isn't my story anymore. If you didn't want to continue with the Awakening it is the logic step to stop with it. If you'd still want Rex to let you have a saying about the story you should've made yourself perfectly clear. But all you did was sending him two vague lines, almost as if you didn't really care what would happen to your work. In these things you should've been really clear and careful, so the things which resulted from this are your very own fault. Maybe Rex shouldn't have rebuffed you like that, but I think it was the logical conclusion after your no longer justified ultimatum. Further, your fuss about him not taking responsibility is ridiculous. You wanted to become the one who pulled the strings the entire time you say? Without doing anything? If you really think about it, your allegations should be targeted at yourself. Further you really ignored everything Rex said to you in the chatbox and then after you saw that his arguments were valid against yours you simply accused him of lying, slanders and threatened him if he wouldn't stop with his arguments. I think that was very unfair and you should apologize to Rex.

I really hope you can accept Rex and leave the role as GM behind you. You seemed like a nice person to me and it would be a shame if you'd leave KK like that just because your visions of the RPG were different.

So long, Rex has my support as GM and I hope you finally see reason so everything can get back to normal and all of this fuss and your dispute with Rex can get buried.

Metal Gear Rex
April 9th, 2012, 17:14
And I don't know, Mr Rex, if in the same situation, you would have been able to do the same thing.

All I mean to say is that Duke has been there already. And he's been bloody brilliant in constructing what we have here today.

So why must you reject him so brutally? It was this interpretation of something you quoted that bothered me the most out of anything said or done here.

That is not at all how I see it. He would not have, I don't think, nor should he have been expected to, cede the power to you if you do not agree to pay attention to his valuable council.

As I mentioned, I feel that he was the one to try and reject me after granting me control over the Awakening. I'm not the only one who interpreted things that way, either. I'm certain that Moth, Cookie, Skarok, and Orion all believed the same in that I was given complete control. I feel offended by a lot of Duke's accusions, by his ultimatum, and general attitude towards me after trying to retake control over the Awakening. I don't mean to come off as attempting to "brutally" reject Duke, but I suppose that given all that has happened, it is rather difficult not to.

If you refuse to believe or if you did not interpret Duke as giving me complete control and then later denying it, then look at what Duke has already denied in this thread alone. He has denied any acknowledgment towards how people felt that he completely stepped down after a clear statement he made that shows that he no longer wants to lead anymore, acting as if this thought was born from nothingness. He has denied the fact that our "agreement" was a misunderstanding, despite previously acknowledging the misunderstanding and has denied what I actually agreed to him becoming. Again, after acknowledging it through the PMs. And further denied my rejection of his offer after understanding what he truly wanted to become.

After you see this, can you understand why I would believe that Duke is denying giving me complete control? My response in the PMs was made under the impression that I was still in complete control, as he had not said anything regarding that matter at that point in time. My response, now, is made because he has denied various claims and facts, which has brought me to greatly suspect whether or not he was telling the truth when he says that he did not pass full command over to me. There's no actual statement that I'm aware of that would support this claim, so I am only led to believe that he is in fact, lying.

People do not go to university because they are already better than their professors and eager to prove it, they go there to learn from them. Duke is your professor. He can teach you methods of control, diplomacy. He can offer mediation where otherwise you may be too hasty. He can be a bastion of consideration where you offer passion and excitement.

Cede some power, Rex. You had my support because I love your creativity, your zeal, and the amount of time you're willing to put into this. But please, don't let that zeal blind you to the fact that you are not all knowing, you are not infallible and that there are areas where Duke is a better candidate than you. If you agree to give him the say that he deserves, then we can have the best of both worlds.

I do not think that is truly a fair comparison. I have not become a GM to learn, I have become a GM to lead. I understand why I may come off as trying to be "all-knowing", because Duke has had more experience than I as a GM. However, Duke may have had more experience, but that doesn't mean that he is going to be always right nor is that any reason to reject what I have to say. I am not one to follow another blindly. What you need to do is look at what Duke is actually saying and why I rejected his words. Only then can you truly understand my actions and would you be able to see that I am not trying to act like I know better than everyone, without the proper justification at least.

If you think about it, Duke is actually the one who came to me with an "all-knowing" attitude. I gave my explanation behind my opening up a third realm and why I felt that three realms would be truly ideal, but Duke disregarded it all and said that I only made an assumption based off of a selection of assumptions in order to draw a specific result, which is completely untrue. To assume that I would do such a thing is insulting to me enough as it is. He has criticized me in accusing me that I do not want to show responsibility and think of nothing but myself, despite all of the work I put into the Awakening as GM over the past week and despite me always seeking everybody else's approval and thoughts before I made any "major" change to the Awakening. I even rejected my own suggestion that I felt had potential, the Spell Specialization, because people didn't seem as interested in it.

His criticism is baseless and created through a generally arrogant attitude. He has prematurely judged the situation and disregarded what I have said without proper reasoning, putting me at the center of the blame for all of the Awakening's nonexistent problems. Through all of this has he displayed questionable judgement abilities. Can you truly trust someone's judgement of a situation after all of that?

I hope my point of view has been cleared up a bit, and that you better understand the reasoning behind my actions throughout this entire event.

Searingflame2
April 9th, 2012, 17:52
This whole thing really bothers me because at the end of the day, I love both you and Duke for your respective merits.

I know it isn't my place to make a command, demand, whatever, so instead, I'll ask a favor, from each of you

Metal Gear Rex
It is clear to me that you are currently not on particularly pleasant terms with Duke, however, I humbly request that you understand something; nothing he has done was intended to slight, offend or upset you. He has put a profound amount of work, love and effort into the RPG, and it is thanks to him, his dream and his will that we are here at all today.
I understand that maybe things weren't as clear as they could be, but don't you think it is just a little unreasonable for you to have assumed that the mantle was yours and he wouldn't want a say? Maybe, in the subsequent misunderstanding, he has acted a little brashly, but if you thought something you had put that amount of time in was in danger, would you not have done the same?
Understand that Duke's intentions were nothing but golden - he wants the RPG to succeed and he wants the RP'ers to enjoy it. Please, when making your final negotiations, keep that in mind. Acknowledge him in the discussions not as someone who has tried to take power from you, but as someone who created, and wishes to see the best for, something that you (and I, and many others besides) share a mutual love for.
Can you put aside your dislike and accept him as a guiding hand of wisdom from experience?

Duke
Upon reflection, can you see that it would have been prudent to make your ceding of power, such as how much of it you were ceding and the conditions of transferring it to MGR, clearer? Can you see that, even though it was not your intent, you have offended Metal Gear Rex as a person through removal of his powers? Can you see that, though some of the changes Rex has made may be radical, the Rp'ers for the most part seem to agree with or outright endorse them, and that you may therefore have been wrong in your complaints? Can you see and respect that Metal Gear Rex has been more involved in the RPG as a roleplayer, and hence probably has a firmer understanding of the implications of his proposed or implemented changes? Since taking power, Rex has proven himself to be remarkably competent as a GM, and even though I agree with you that some of the changes implemented should be discussed far more fully in a more democratic environment (this should have been in the Rex section =P), for the most part, Rex has given a breath of life to the RPG, and that is something we can all agree is a good thing. Please, look back at the change made. Can you not see that not only do they not make the RPG an 'abomination' but may instead provide more colour and creativity?

Finally, both of you need to acknowledge that this entire argument has sprung up and continued because of how much you care about The Awakening. I utterly reject the idea that Duke 'moving on' would be best for the RPG, as it is largely for the quality of his ideas that brought us to this point and there is absolutely nothing to suggest that the quality of his ideas will degrade or the ideas themselves become redundant. He should absolutely maintain a role (if he wants to, that is), the one I think he originally intended (though perhaps could have explained better) as the guiding hand or as a moderating figure. On the other hand, I think Metal Gear Rex is the path of the future, as he has the energy and creativity to infuse the RPG with life on pretty much a daily basis. I think he should screen changes more extensively (if not due to poor effect than to consider the necessity of the changes) before implementing them in the RPG.

You're both terrific, and you both need to stop and look at each other in a different light. You do NOT dislike this person. This person created, or is continuing, something you love.

Duke Ragereaver
April 9th, 2012, 18:46
There have been some new developments...

Owing to the powerful message the community have given I have contacted Metal Gear Rex to see if things are still not beyond repair.

First of all, I want to publically apologize for Metal Gear Rex and the RPG community for the trouble I have caused with my misguided actions. We have talked with each other through Skype and we have fortunately enough reached a level of understanding with each other, agreeing this had to end not only to end the stress it was taking the toll on both of us, but for the RPG and it’s occupants. We both had the desire to get the RPG back on track, and this formed the basis for a good conversation to decide what would happen.

To make a long story short we have agreed that the following things would be in everyone’s best interests. Foremost that total control of the RPG is now in Metal Gear Rex hand’s, everything. Resignment of myself as GM, with the promise not to interfere with the leadership again. It’s in Metal Gear Rex hands now and I really sincerely wish him the best of luck in leading the GM to better and brighter times. Though I did not admit this before in my clouded judgment, I think he is the most ideal candidate for the RPG’s best interests. Had I been wiser to see that sooner.

On an somewhat related note. I am acknowledging that my actions lately were not the best or well most thought ones. I have severely damaged the trust the people had in me, alienated people away and this event will always be at the back of our heads, and I’m sorry for that. Therefore I’m resigning as Super Moderatorship as well. For the grief my many mistakes have done, perhaps I can do some good with doing one last thing right.

I hope we can see, speak and perhaps roleplay with each other in better times.

Regards,
Duke Ragereaver

Mothrayas
April 9th, 2012, 18:50
Reassignment of myself as GM

I think you mean "resignment". No offense, but this case of miswording is actually fairly hilarious.

Duke Ragereaver
April 9th, 2012, 18:53
I think you mean "resignment". No offense, but this case of miswording is actually fairly hilarious.

Ha, good spottin'. It's at the very least a good thing there is something to laugh about again. :)

Fixed.

MeinCookie
April 10th, 2012, 01:14
Worry not, Duke. People are human by their mistakes and I think no less of you - everyone is intrinsically flawed and everyone blunders from time to time :).

Mispelling 'Resignment' on the other hand... unforgivable :rolleyes::D.

nijuni_kuro
April 10th, 2012, 11:40
I find it interesting how most of us (myself included >.>) tried to take sides, rather than mediate a "truce" between the GMs. Flame, you just might have single-handedly saved the RP. You are an inspiration to us all.